• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Imagine how fucking shitty Pentagon would look in WWE lighting.

If you think you can come here and demand lighting changes then you're Penta-gone!

Stephanie-Smile-600x250.jpg

Probably the most interesting thing happening in WWE in 2016 is them finally figuring out that indie guys can get over.

Roderick Strong is finishing up with PWG shortly as well as having left ROH, so that’s a WWE future. If he was with TNA, he’s still be working PWG. Plus, the whole Austin Aries story about how he’s changed minds about who can get over in WWE was related to Roderick Strong who people were closed-minded about for years in WWE the same way they had been regarding Aries.

Notes from the 6/27 Raw tapings in Tampa. Not a lot to the show and it started dragging badly in the third hour. The crowd died for the return of Miz and Kane in the IC title match, and never came back, not even for a good Styles vs. Ambrose TV main event. A lot of fans in the building were disappointed about Kane being the mystery guy since word spread around the arena that both Nakamura and Balor were backstage
balor killing the business. Perro idiota.

Ithil

Jimmy Snuka was booked for the WrestleCon convention in conjunction with WrestleMania in Orlando. Don’t know if words have been invented to properly categorize that. What are they thinking booking a guy who has been indicted on a murder charge and isn’t standing trial only because of the belief he is not mentally capable? The Lehigh Valley Prosecution office is looking into this.

Would be hilarious if he goes down for murder because of greed for that WrestleCon payday.

I'm fine with NXT being the super-indie, and with WWE filling up with that talent. Just the thought of Pentagon vs. Joe or Pentagon vs. Nakamura is ridiculously exciting.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Every episode of Nitro is up?

Good news. Still going to store up 1998-2001 Nitro just in case Thunder is added before I get to it.

I'm not looking forward to going back and forth between Raw and Smackdown when I start 1999 in August.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm sure WWE has some riding lawnmowers stored away in Stamford for the day when they can raid Lucha Underground's roster.

Have you ever heard Konnan's story about Mexicools?
e then says that a writer who was there at the time told him that they were in a writers meeting with Vince McMahon when the Mexicools gimmick was created. A writer suggested the name, stating that they should be cool Mexicans and Vince thought that since his landscapers were Mexican, that they should come out on ride-on lawnmowers.
It's second-hand like most Konnan stuff, but I like to think it's on the level. It has to be. It sounds too accurate.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I lied 8 episodes are missing.

No problem, son.

Those eight would probably be up by the time I got to them anyways without waiting another year or so to see if they finish Thunder.

I bet Thunder isn't going to show up for awhile as they probably need another 2 years to get all of Smackdown and Raw up.

Have you ever heard Konnan's story about Mexicools?

It's second-hand like most Konnan stuff, but I like to think it's on the level. It has to be. It sounds too accurate.
I loved The Mexicools even though I'm a big advocate for Hispanic rights and equalities.

I hated Cryme Tyme though.
Those eight would probably be up by the time I got to them anyways without waiting another year or so to see if they finish Thunder.

I bet Thunder isn't going to show up for awhile as they probably need another 2 years to get all of Smackdown and Raw up.
I think they'll be done with sd & raw by the end of the year. I wish I knew how many people they had working on all of this stuff, it excites me to even think about it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My updated Fave Five as of 6/29

5. Jeff Cobb
4. E-Li Drake
3. AJ Styles
2. #Broken Matt Hardy
1. The DTU building inspector because God help you, you are the biggest heel on the planet
Andrade seems so boring in the ring compared to La Sombra.

It's hilarious the way they're pushing him as a face given his history. But what do you expect from 'oh this guy's popular, we should sign him!'

Toki767

It's hilarious the way they're pushing him as a face given his history. But what do you expect from 'oh this guy's popular, we should sign him!'

I don't know if the NXT crowd really hates him (because his first opponent was Tye Dillinger) or just thinks he sucks, but he's not getting any real sort of face reaction.

somedevil

I don't know if the NXT crowd really hates him (because his first opponent was Tye Dillinger) or just thinks he sucks, but he's not getting any real sort of face reaction.

Its the TYE thing. Tye is basically the cult hero everyone in the crowd wants to get a big push.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean that's worked pretty well for Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens, Nakamura, Aries, Balor, and AJ. It's a system that has plenty more hits than misses in recent years, that's for damn sure.

Jury's still out on Aries. Joe was having issues for a while up until his heel turn. And signings like Owens and Balor were at the beginning. At this point, there's a higher expectation of well-known indie superstars that only a guy like Nakamura and AJ are going to surpass. The crowd's been spoiled with the big indie signings and it hurts someone like Andrade who isn't as popular in the states. Ricochet might be ok due to the combination of PWG, LU, and NJPW history, but I think anyone under that AJ Styles/Nakamura tier from here on out that's a 'big deal signing' is going to hurt due to heightened expectations.

Jury's still out on Aries. Joe was having issues for a while up until his heel turn. And signings like Owens and Balor were at the beginning. At this point, there's a higher expectation of well-known indie superstars that only a guy like Nakamura and AJ are going to surpass. The crowd's been spoiled with the big indie signings and it hurts someone like Andrade who isn't as popular in the states. Ricochet might be ok due to the combination of PWG, LU, and NJPW history, but I think anyone under that AJ Styles/Nakamura tier from here on out that's a 'big deal signing' is going to hurt due to heightened expectations.

I mean I see your point, but I do think it's overstated, with Andrade being the only real example and even he has been around less than a month so I'm extremely wary to project his prospects going forward once he works with actual heels and not Tye. Aries has gotten great reactions since he had his match with Nakamura and subsequently turned. Joe had issues before the turn yeah, but they still turned him and made the right decision, which flies in the face of the argument that they only sign guys because they are popular and don't know how to book them. They changed course on Joe and it has turned out fantastically for all involved.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Pentagon Jr vs Psycho Clown got announced

If they give them time and book it like a vicious brawl that plays to both their strengths, this could be a MOTY for sure.

Pentagon vs Park and Pentagon vs Psycho in the same week. Holy moley TM.

dream

Latest Observer poll ties in nicely with our astonishment that ROH still exists, data west:

ROH BEST IN THE WORLD POLL RESULTS

Thumbs up 51 (70.8%)

Thumbs down 0 (00.0%)

In the middle 21 (29.2%)

If a company has a PPV, and only 72 of the most responsible wrestling fans in the world responded to a poll about it...

Why can't they just make Roman top heel? He has that arrogant "I'm better than you" thing down and you can just see it in his actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbS7iCMxn0

C'mon Vince. When he returns just make him a giant asshole.

Yeah when everybody was facing each other to contend for the championship against Reigns its when he really shined. He was in the ring literally making all of them look like ants, with a belittling smirk.

I've avoided TNA because I prefer to keep my sanity, but can someone explain the #Broken Matt Hardy/Brother Nero nonsense to me? I've seen the infamous contract signing vignette, but I want to know what lead up to that point. Why and when did Matt become Chris Jericho doing an impression of the Toecutter? Why does he want to destroy Jeff? What's up with Matt calling Jeff "Brother Nero?"

Top Bottom