• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Catching up on Lucha Underground. Famous B is going to turn on Mascarita because he and Brenda are getting together, right?

Why are we getting a hype ad for Taya weeks after she debuted?

Wait, Cuerno, have you thought out making Mil Muertes a piece of your treasure room?

I hope NXT brings back the little shot of the participants in the title match backstage as they walk through the curtains. We've missed that in the last few TakeOvers.

I guess the RoboCop theme would be harder to clap even if it would make more sense than the Terminator theme for Cage.

Seph: Cage vs. RoboCop. Your pick?

Anth0ny

giphy.gif

vince's fucking face

lapsed vince doesn't go far enough

Fox318

Back from injury, takes a bump off the ring-post.

This girl will retire in 2 years.
I really would love to know if that's the agent or the talent trying to prove to Vince they aren't injured.

Same with Bryan using his neck for heat when he came back before.

Menome

In honour of Squared Circle Gazette Radio Podcast's episode this week:

First Memories of Wrestling

What are WrassleGAF's earliest memories of the world of spandex and (alleged) steroids?

For me, I always knew of Hulk Hogan as he was everywhere in the early 90s. Plus, half a dozen boys at primary school had a WWF backpack with Hogan, Legion of Doom and two others on it.

My first time ever watching it would have been about 1991. We didn't have satellite TV, so WWF was impossible to watch. A friend's family did however and whilst I was visiting one day, he was watching wrestling on the TV, so I also watched waiting for Hulk Hogan.

I can't remember if he ever actually showed up and that was it for my wrestling-watching for another decade until I caught an episode of RAW at another friend's house.

Ithil

It's funny. Eventually, you get to a point where light tubes is like babby shit now

There's no going back after cement blocks, razor board crosses, syringes, splintered wood, gusset plates and kusarigamas
And nail boards. Don't forget those.

Carpenter nails.

I've been saying for a while that Becky is way more ready than Sasha to take the title from Charlotte. I know WWE is stalling for Sasha to recover and get some reps in but I think she's too raw right now. I think it's because she's been injured too much or protected. She really hasn't wrestled much since her debut. Becky has been a workhorse and consistently puts on technically sound matches. But this company seems set on Sasha so to keep her in the picture I would have a WM rematch between the three of them at SummerSlam but have Becky get the title. She is the underdog that will always be over because of that.

EDIT: I don't think it was either Sasha or Summer's fault that Sasha took that bump. She slipped but still - bad bump to take from someone recovering from a head injury.

What are WrassleGAF's earliest memories of the world of spandex and (alleged) steroids?

For me, I always knew of Hulk Hogan as he was everywhere in the early 90s. Plus, half a dozen boys at primary school had a WWF backpack with Hogan, Legion of Doom and two others on it.

My first time ever watching it would have been about 1991. We didn't have satellite TV, so WWF was impossible to watch. A friend's family did however and whilst I was visiting one day, he was watching wrestling on the TV, so I also watched waiting for Hulk Hogan.

I can't remember if he ever actually showed up and that was it for my wrestling-watching for another decade until I caught an episode of RAW at another friend's house.

The first clear memory I have is Warrior getting trapped in the room full of snakes from Superstars: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7T-GI-5uQ

I can agree with this. Haven't watch NXT in months. Nakamura vs the drifter doesn't cut it

It's the loss of undercard storylines that really hurts. I don't miss the days of Bull Dempsey matches underneath the main events, but at least there were stories and personality growth. Now, NXT relies on viewers recognizing wrestlers and transferring their personalities from outside, which is great for someone like Nakamura and not so great for a guy like Aries.

imBask

Banned

mine was probably parts of the Austin vs McMahon in 1998? I was 8, I think I watched some wrestling before that but I really can't recall

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean that's not what the article says at all, but good try
The article is horrible and just waxes nostalgia for an imaginary vision of an NXT that wasn't filled with squash matches.

Dolph's commentary on that Sasha Banks match was dire. Good lord.

I'm not sure why you're all freaking out about that bump though. It didn't look like anything to me.

bjork

It must be tough to have a daughter more beautiful than anything you've ever pulled. Damn society and its rules.

It was a match in first half of the 80s between Jim Duggan and Abdullah the Butcher. I remember it because Abby was sticking him with the fork, so he went to the back and came out with a 2x4. Blew my mind. Years later, I've never been able to find footage of this match, or even any evidence that it ever took place. So maybe they were different guys, but a fat guy in pajama pants with a fork versus a mentally challenged looking dude with a big piece of wood. Who else could they be?

I hated wrestling as a kid. No, really. My earliest memory is some stupid Papa Shango stuff, when my friends still thought it was real. When he was feuding with the Ultimate Warrior and there was some oil on Warrior's face. My friend were legitimately scared by the whole thing, and I couldn't believe how dumb they were for believing it.

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtJ49gc7ksY

I didn't get into wrestling until I was about 20 when I saw Beyond the Mat and I suddenly realized what wrestling really was.

It was guys risking life and limb to give a kid in the front row something to believe in. My eyes were opened pretty wide that day.

enewtabie

Probably earlier memories,but around 85/86 the Horsemen jumped on Sam Houston and broke his arm.

klonere

Banned
Top Bottom