• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dolph knows that he's going no where so he has to find a way to stay in the business. Maybe commentary will stick.

Dog Ziggler is gonna get replaced by Tye Dillinger, the much cheaper version of himself.

RBH

I would like to hear thoughts on Vince letting the show continue that night, though. Bad call? Hard, yet correct, decision? What do you guys think?

I would've stopped the show right there and then.

I understand the whole "The Show Must Go On" mantra, but not ten minutes after a human being fell to their death (I know he was pronounced dead later and not right there and then, but still).

Sephzilla

If I could ignore Owen Hart dying at Over the Edge '99, maybe I'd grade it similarly to other WWF events around this time. Maybe a D+, or even a C-. But the death of Owen Hart at this event cannot and should not be ignored. I feel like anything but the lowest possible grade would be disrespectful and wrong. Maybe grading it at all is disrespectful and wrong. But you sickos demanded it.

I would like to hear thoughts on Vince letting the show continue that night, though. Bad call? Hard, yet correct, decision? What do you guys think?

They should have cancelled the rest of the show. Despite "the show must go on" being a cliche theater term, broadway shows have cancelled the remainder of shows if an actor gets severely hurt on stage.

Plus I think continuing the show was risky because any other performers sent out after that happened are clearly not going to be focused on their job, which is going to make everyone more prone to accidents.

just did the Gangrel walk all the way to my math class (we have final today)

I don't even care if people were looking at me funny
Did you at least have a goblet?

If I could ignore Owen Hart dying at Over the Edge '99, maybe I'd grade it similarly to other WWF events around this time. Maybe a D+, or even a C-. But the death of Owen Hart at this event cannot and should not be ignored. I feel like anything but the lowest possible grade would be disrespectful and wrong. Maybe grading it at all is disrespectful and wrong. But you sickos demanded it.

He gave them a choice and they went with the cliché theatre phrase, "the show must go on". And they also felt as of they couldn't leave the paying customers hanging. It's controversial and the ppv was at least a C imo.

The ref at the time you feel bad for him because he witnessed it first hand could've almost died or helped Owen live but Owen screamed for him to move out of the way. Very very sad and being 7 at the time, I didn't know what to think.

bjork

I was watching this live, and hearing that your favorite guy died, kinda makes you not want to watch wrestling any more. I don't know what the right decision was, but I know that I finished the show and then I've kind of been soured on wrestling ever since.

I recently watched the Eddie Guerrero RAW tribute show again, makes me sad ht Owen never got the same treatment .

The night after Over the Edge 99 was a tribute show. I don't think I've seen the Eddie one, so idk if they're similar or not in format.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah, I haven't watched NXT in a while. There isn't a lot to get you to watch week to week. No real sense of story. Just random matches. It made me tune out.

I'll still watch Takeover obviously but I'm not invested in NXT week to week. Which is a shame given how hot the brand was like a year ago.
ECW was like this sometimes back in the day. Some of their talent would get cleared out and the weekly show would suffer, but the PPVs always delivered.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
And as for NXT, I just think people overrated the program to begin with. It's always been filled with pointless squash matches and things that happen for no rhyme or reason.

I don't think the scripting or booking has gotten worse, its literally that the better promo guys and long term talents aren't on the roster anymore. You have to work with what you got, and right now the Women's Champion speaks almost no English, the hottest babyface doesn't speak English well enough to cut serious promos, the tag team feud has been good, and the main feud with Joe and Balor has actually been good.

So I guess I just don't get what they're complaining about. It's a literally a period of transition with the talent. I think everyone can see that Balor has a foot out the door, so at the least I can understand that feeling. But I think its unfair to blame it on booking or direction.

Hycran

Banned
They should have cancelled the rest of the show. Despite "the show must go on" being a cliche theater term, broadway shows have cancelled the remainder of shows if an actor gets severely hurt on stage.

Plus I think continuing the show was risky because any other performers sent out after that happened are clearly not going to be focused on their job, which is going to make everyone more prone to accidents.

Owen would have wanted the show to go on. That's good enough for me.

Hycran

Banned
Not according to Bret interviews from back then.

That's because he was his brother and obviously still upset. There is an interview with Sean Morley (Val Venis) on Kayfabe Commentaries that is good and deals with the whole situation

bjork

That's because he was his brother and obviously still upset. There is an interview with Sean Morley (Val Venis) on Kayfabe Commentaries that is good and deals with the whole situation

Val Venis smokes the cheeba and therefore cannot be trusted

Owen would have wanted the show to go on. That's good enough for me.

He also didn't want to go up for the stunt in the first place, a thing people constantly ignore when saying this. The company didn't and never did care about what he wanted or didn't want

Ithil

And as for NXT, I just think people overrated the program to begin with. It's always been filled with pointless squash matches and things that happen for no rhyme or reason.

I don't think the scripting or booking has gotten worse, its literally that the better promo guys and long term talents aren't on the roster anymore. You have to work with what you got, and right now the Women's Champion speaks almost no English, the hottest babyface doesn't speak English well enough to cut serious promos, the tag team feud has been good, and the main feud with Joe and Balor has actually been good.

So I guess I just don't get what they're complaining about. It's a literally a period of transition with the talent. I think everyone can see that Balor has a foot out the door, so at the least I can understand that feeling. But I think its unfair to blame it on booking or direction.
NXT always had ebbs and flows, ups and downs. I remember for a period after NXT Arrival in 2014 where people were going "NXT isn't as good as it used to be it's too slow and squashes matches!". Then it picked back up and we had probably the best its ever been late in 2014.

Same thing happened early in 2015 too, it went through a slow period and "NXT isn't as good as it used to be it's too slow and squash matches". Then it picked back up and led to the Brooklyn show, another highlight of the Takeovers so far.

The weekly TV show has always been slow paced with a lot of jobber matches, all the way back to 2012.

Now they've suffered from more talent call-ups than usual lately, really all through 2016 so far, and their changing head writers and whatnot hasn't helped either, nor did the really long period between Takeover London and Dallas.
But it'll pick up again, probably closer to the second Brooklyn Takeover.

Fox318

I think them continuing the show with the Steve Austin hanging shit I think speaks to Vince's character more than anything else.

He should have stopped the show. Pretty sure if Ray Chapman was hit by a pitch today a game would stop, same goes for somebody falling in a play.

BFIB

Knowing Owen, he would have cancelled the event, but then put the event back on once the crowd had emptied.

Because he's a ribber like that.

Angry Grimace

I think them continuing the show with the Steve Austin hanging shit I think speaks to Vince's character more than anything else.

He should have stopped the show. Pretty sure if Ray Chapman was hit by a pitch today a game would stop, same goes for somebody falling in a play.

An ump died on-field in a baseball game back in '96 and they stopped the game.

bjork

image.php

Angry Grimace

NXT always had ebbs and flows, ups and downs. I remember for a period after NXT Arrival in 2014 where people were going "NXT isn't as good as it used to be it's too slow and squashes matches!". Then it picked back up and we had probably the best its ever been late in 2014.

Same thing happened early in 2015 too, it went through a slow period and "NXT isn't as good as it used to be it's too slow and squash matches". Then it picked back up and led to the Brooklyn show, another highlight of the Takeovers so far.

The weekly TV show has always been slow paced with a lot of jobber matches, all the way back to 2012.

Now they've suffered from more talent call-ups than usual lately, really all through 2016 so far, and their changing head writers and whatnot hasn't helped either, nor did the really long period between Takeover London and Dallas.
But it'll pick up again, probably closer to the second Brooklyn Takeover.

I think a lot of it is expectations built up during NXT's huge popularity surge in the last year (which I suppose you could say really started at R Evolution in late 2014 and went through the Brooklyn show). That was not so coincidentally was when they were at the apex of their star power. But if you look back at say, R Evolution (when it started getting really hot), almost none of those people are still on the roster.

The only real mistake I think they made booking-wise was not simply having Joe go over at Dallas and then getting Finn out the door. A third Joe-Finn match feels kind of overkill even if the push for it has been good and the matches have been good. I just don't need to see them wrestle yet again, even if I'm obviously going to watch.

Fox318

An ump died on-field in a baseball game back in '96 and they stopped the game.

Perfect example and that was also 7 pitches into the game.

Cirque du Soleil had a death in 2013 and they stopped the show.

Vince has it happen on his hands and hes probably thinking how he can use it to get heat later on.

Angry Grimace

Perfect example and that was also 7 pitches into the game.

Cirque du Soleil had a death in 2013 and they stopped the show.

Vince has it happen on his hands and hes probably thinking how he can use it to get heat later on.

Never forget how carny the product we are watching is.

Hycran

Banned
Never forget how carny the product we are watching is.

Also the fact that none of these guys get paid unless they work, unlike all of the other examples given thus far. Just because other people do something doesn't mean it is right. If I died playing soccer back when I was on the University team, I would want the game to go on. Death and injury is part of life, no reason to get upset about it.

Zach

People who think the show should have continued (such as NeoGAF Vince McMahon, unless he's just cosplaying), why do you think it was a better idea to continue the show?

Also the fact that none of these guys get paid unless they work, unlike all of the other examples given thus far. Just because other people do something doesn't mean it is right. If I died playing soccer back when I was on the University team, I would want the game to go on. Death and injury is part of life, no reason to get upset about it.

That's kind of an answer but...

Death and injury is part of life, no reason to get upset about it.

...what?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People who think the show should have continued (such as NeoGAF Vince McMahon, unless he's just cosplaying), why do you think it was a better idea to continue the show?

Fans didn't know for sure what was going on. The live fans. The job, in my eyes, regardless of what's going on, was even if the backstage area is in flames, you handle it within, you take care of it, and do your best to continue on so people don't know what kind of insanity is going on backstage. This applies to most walks of life too.

Live crowd didn't know for sure, you try to hide it, because it doesn't do any good to tell people what happened right then and there. PPV audience is different, but the live crowd, yknow. You continue on, soldier through, and tomorrow is when you deal with it.

I was watching this live, and hearing that your favorite guy died, kinda makes you not want to watch wrestling any more. I don't know what the right decision was, but I know that I finished the show and then I've kind of been soured on wrestling ever since.

The night after Over the Edge 99 was a tribute show. I don't think I've seen the Eddie one, so idk if they're similar or not in format.
I think Eddie's had more wrestling whereas, Owen's had more tributes.

Zach

Fans didn't know for sure what was going on. The live fans. The job, in my eyes, regardless of what's going on, was even if the backstage area is in flames, you handle it within, you take care of it, and do your best to continue on so people don't know what kind of insanity is going on backstage. This applies to most walks of life too.

Live crowd didn't know for sure, you try to hide it, because it doesn't do any good to tell people what happened right then and there. PPV audience is different, but the live crowd, yknow. You continue on, soldier through, and tomorrow is when you deal with it.

Seems unfair to the people in attendance. Seems wrong.

Recall

So your saying WWF wrestlers wouldn't get paid their PPV bonuses If the PPV was stopped? I don't think anyone would be upset about it. Their colleague, their friend died.

I'm sure even the most selfish twat would understand. Unless you're Vince McMahon.

RBH

......um, I'm pretty sure the wrestlers would be quite understanding if the show got cancelled and they didn't get paid for the night because one of their colleagues died that night. Their salary for the night is pretty damn low on the totem pole of priorities for that night in comparison to the life of a human being (and one that most of them knew personally, at that).

no reason to get upset about it

The fuck kinda post is this

klonere

Banned
Damn today's BOSJ show has easily been the best so far. At least four 4* bouts all in a row, including yet another incredible CHAOS vs Ingobernables 6 man. Each match had a different story and style to it as well, some great comedy, stiff striking and grappling, Taguchi being shockingly amazing and KUSHIDA bringing the goods as usual.

If you've just signed up for NJPWWorld definitely set aside some time to just sit down and watch the show the whole way through.

This might be the worst post I have ever come across in my time at GAF.

WrassleGAF was a mistake. It's nothing but trash

Zach

Starting to seriously pissed at Ticketmaster now, just over a week to go and still no NXT tickets.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can probably just stop by the box office on your way in and request a reprint (with your confirmation number, ID, and/or the credit card you purchased with). Sometimes things get lost in the mail.

Also, you may want to double-check your confirmation email to make sure you selected mail instead of will call/print-at-home/tickets-at-phone.

Top Bottom