• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Rikidozan's era was a lot different than the 80s and 90s because it was still close to the events of WW2. That stuff's as dated as stuff like The Orient Express. Jumbo wasn't rolling through evil Americans. Dr Death, Hansen, Brody, and the likes weren't playing evil American heels.

I mean, you do know how over American boy Terry Funk was in Japan in the 80s, right?

And how Vader's heel heat came 1) because he beat Inoki on his debut and 2) because he was a big, scary, strong foreigner?

Jumbo wasn't rolling through evil Americans because that's not how the companies booked by that point because the evil Americans idea had already been played out and because the guys they brought in (Brody, Hansen, Gordy, Williams, Road Warriors) didn't have those kind of gimmicks.

It's the same reason no foreigner's won the G1. It's not as on the nose as it was in Rikidozan's era, but it's still bubbling away under the surface.

Ithil

My only retort to this is:

back_to_back_world_war_champs_eagle_poster-r13715f1e1978499ca6f1adddc6e49661_fsnd1_8byvr_512.jpg

I'd ask the person who unironically wore this design, and I'm sure there's at least one, to tell me anything about the US' role in WW1.

Also not wrestling but Quinton "Rampage" Jackson was known for wearing stars and stripes shorts while fighting in Pride.

He was very popular in Japan from what I remember.

The thing I want to know most in wrestling, and likely never will, are receipts for wrestlers in the 70s and 80s in Japan.

Specifically, I want to know how much guys like Mil Mascaras, Bruiser Brody, Andre , and Hogan and the like were making. I always hear about 'Andre money' from older guys of that era when they're talking about working Japan. But like, I wonder how much Mil made for example. Did he make as much as Hansen? More? Less? Hansen had a longer legacy there, but Mil was in it much earlier and was CRAZY over when he showed up. I saw two dudes getting in a fight in the audience over his entrance mask.

In Hansen's book he says he had a handshake agreement with Baba that lasted 20 years. His money increased year after year without any sort of negotiation and he was always very happy with his pay-offs. Have to assume he was being very well paid, especially as Baba had to convince him to jump ship from New Japan, which was what made Inoki alter his philosophy on gaijins and start offering contracts. Mascaras was likely paid just as well, he was always a big draw for AJPW.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mil Mascaras gets a lot of flack in retrospect, but I'm a pretty big defender of his. He's not the best wrestler, but he's nowhere near bad and the idea that you have to be 'good enough to match your push' is stupid to me. He had the look in spades and he had a lot of charisma. He drew crowds everywhere he went, and that's what mattered.

But man watching his matches, there's one thing that's definitely true. If he's not winning the match, it ALWAYS ends in a DQ. Always. No matter what year, no matter what country. Mil is not doing the job, brother.

1984 - 85.3% winrate
1983 - 74.2% winrate
1982 - 91.3% winrate
1981 - 87.2% winrate

in 1986, of the 50 matches he had, he won 47 OF THEM

Ithil

You still had your part, though.

I mean, I could point to slavery being an American thing, but we Dutch had our part in that, so did the UK, Spain and France. We're all assholes here.

Hey, we didn't, we were too busy being kicked around for 800 years.

yano.png

OK let's see what I do that is stereotypically Scottish.

I only wear kilts at weddings.
I eat haggis like once a year.
I am not a heavy drinker I stop after about two drinks.

I've never worn a kilt, I need an excuse. Don't want to risk finding out if I'm kilt material on my wedding day.

Deep Fried Mars Bar was wonderful, though I wouldn't want more than half at once.

As for Irn-Bru, there's a can on my desk in front of me as I type

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
goddamn it man i asked you a question two pages back and you never responded! that is, like, so unpatriotic of you.

i didn't see it

Data West,

What are your thoughts on Cesaro.

Just curious.

he will always look like a goofball european tourist to me and i will never buy him as a serious contender. when he tried to be minoru suzuki he just came off looking like a total dork.

he's like swedish yoshi tatsu

Browny

Banned
I wondered how many Scottish wrestlers there are...

Grado
Drew

The fourth picture result was Sheamus...

Well done Google images.

OK let's see what I do that is stereotypically Scottish.

I only wear kilts at weddings.
I eat haggis like once a year.
I am not a heavy drinker I stop after about two drinks.

Only wore a kilt when I was 8 years old, never had haggis, and I do drink from time to time. Irn Bru is the nectar of the gods also.

Need to watch the BOSJ finals later, sorta fell behind on it, but I'll just go straight to the finals now.

I wondered how many Scottish wrestlers there are...

Grado
Drew

The fourth picture result was Sheamus...

Well done Google images.

Don't forget the Highlanders. I'm still amazed they weren't billed from Glasgow or Edinburgh come to think of it.

Top Bottom