• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Aiii

So not worth it
If I had to name it I would say the difference between US patriotism and Euro patriotism is that for the US it's more like "I'm proud of my country" and in Europe it's more "I'm proud to represent my country" as we take way less pride in our nations themselves. In fact, most of us are pretty negative about our countries. We take pride in heritage and kinship with our fellow countrymen, but not so much in the country itself, and the USA seems to be really proud of just being the USA first and foremost.

It's a representation thing. Not many Brits make it to the world stage historically, whereas Americans have a huge advantage in that regard, so they don't feel the need to represent their country personally. The America patriotism manifests itself at more of the company level, and much more intensely that "Oh hey, I'm from this country".

That's a good point and New Japan did make a lot of the fact that Ospreay could be the first Brit to win the Super Jr's - UK wrestlers have been very under-represented in New Japan over the years, only Ospreay, PAC & Tony St. Clair in the past 15 years!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If I had to name it I would say the difference between US patriotism and Euro patriotism is that for the US it's more like "I'm proud of my country" and in Europe it's more "I'm proud to represent my country" as we take way less pride in our nations themselves. In fact, most of us are pretty negative about our countries. We take pride in heritage and kinship with our fellow countrymen, but not so much in the country itself, and the USA seems to be really proud of just being the USA first and foremost.

I mean you said the 'support our troops' stuff, but 'God Save The Queen' is about the most 'I'm proud of my country' thing I've ever heard. Americans have just as many issues with the nation themselves, it's why we have multiple political parties and subsects within those groups.

I mean, it's hard to take guff about our 'national pride' from a country that still worships a royal family in 2016.

Ithil

American patriotism is very different from European patriotism, though, as Boots pointed out you probably don't even notice this.

It's not a knock on you guys, either, but it's just very apparent when you watch a program like WWE puts on, which is very very america-centric.

I mean, I cringe every time it's Veteran's day or Tribute to the Troops day and there's a video package where we hear about how amazing America is and how blessed everyone is for serving America and what not. Just to use as an example.

In most of the rest of the world being in the military is literally just another job, and while we have our memorial day, there are no 3-minute "yay troops" videos leading into our TV programs, for instance.
In the same breath WWE will do that "We are a global corporation with fans all over the world!" thing, right as they do 100% American-centric stories or segments.

This very much. If you've ever looked at Sabre's twitter:
3wnxMjw.png

2wwee5m.png

you know he's a dirty lefty that dislikes a lot of things about this country and the people who are usually associated with union jack waving

Aiii

So not worth it
I mean you said the 'support our troops' stuff, but 'God Save The Queen' is about the most 'I'm proud of my country' thing I've ever heard. Americans have just as many issues with the nation themselves, it's why we have multiple political parties and subsects within those groups.

God Save The Queen is more about the royals trying to make their royal claims valid by associating themselves as being chosen by God themselves to rule the country. It's a remnant of a time where Faith was important to people.

Hey, the fact that the Netherlands is a monarchy annoys the ever loving shit out of me to this day. Even made a thread about how annoyed I am that monarchy's are still a thing in this day and age, so you won't get any challenge from me there.

Also, you asked why people get so annoyed by American patriotism, we're just telling you why, the US exudes a massive ego over its own country, that's all there's to it. When watching WWE we're constantly reminded about you are a "great country" and that kind of stuff works on people from said country, but it does nothing for people that also live in "great countries". All there's to it, justified or not, that's why imo.

Also pick a street in a US town how many houses have US flags flying there is usually at least a few.

Do the same thing anywhere else you will hardly see any flags

Ithil

Or see how many countries have a pledge of allegiance children in classrooms have to read out.
Never in my life was I asked to swear loyalty to a flag.

I mean, it's hard to take guff about our 'national pride' from a country that still worships a royal family in 2016.

The royals are an incredibly divisive subject, tbh. I doubt you'd find many people who give much a shit about them, let alone worship them - especially amongst the younger generations. You're more likely to find people who think of them as little more than a tourist attraction, or as sponges who benefit far too much from the British taxpayer, regardless of the words to our national anthem.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think what's blowing my mind right now is that Datazord is American o_o I always thought he was british too.

I don't use the u key often enough
The royals are an incredibly divisive subject, tbh. I doubt you'd find many people who give much a shit about them, let alone worship them - especially amongst the younger generations. You're more likely to find people who think of them as little more than a tourist attraction, or as sponges who benefit far too much from the British taxpayer, regardless of the words to our national anthem.

Right, which is the exact same thing that could be said for Americans.

Ithil

Certainly. I would be proud of my heritage, I'm happy to represent my culture and history, that's as far as it goes.

Sephzilla

Since we're talking about national pride shit and what not, does people still refer to England as the "British Empire" anymore?

TGMIII

Why is it Americans get shit for overdoing it with the patriotism a la flag waving gimmick but no one seems to say shit when so many British people do it?

Especially in wrestling.

Overly enthusiastic patriotic americans are kinda like the fans who chant "we are awesome" at wrestling shows.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Not really, no. No one "worships" the monarchy, even if they are supporters, but a huge number of you do worship the US flag.

Based on what? You speak that decisively like you can speak for both nationalities or such. I'm sure there are people that "worship" the monarchy just as much as there are poeple that "worship" the US flag.

Ithil

Based on what? You speak that decisively like you can speak for both nationalities or such. I'm sure there are people that "worship" the monarchy just as much as there are poeple that "worship" the US flag.

Similar to how there are people that watch TNA, and there are people who watch WWE. It's an accurate statement, but it misses the greater context.

Sephzilla

Also, I say this as a United States citizen, our patriotism and level of national pride does get pretty sick at times. Too many people in this country pretend it's the middle of the 20th century when the US actually had more claim to being one of the best countries in the world. And in hindsight shit like the pledge of allegiance is kind of disturbing.

To further drive home how ridiculous American patriotism gets at times, we still have a large contingent of people in the south who still wave around the flag of a never-actually-existed country that lost its only war.

Also, I say this as a United States citizen, our patriotism and level of national pride does get pretty sick at times. Too many people in this country pretend it's the middle of the 20th century when the US actually had more claim to being one of the best countries in the world.

To further drive home how ridiculous American patriotism gets at times, we still have a large contingent of people in the south who still wave around the flag of a never-actually-existed country that lost its only war.

Worse still is that they do it fully aware of the negative racial connotations associated with said flag and they are still proud of it.

Bro, two of your most notable guys wear Union Flags all over their jocks
tumblr_o5ghshq12n1rbmjvuo2_500.gif

ostruch.png

I don't see Ricochet running around in America trunks. Obviously John Cena wears a lot of American flag apparel because it's part of his gimmick as a fake marine or whatever the fuck. Beyond that, who else does it? Swagger doesn't do it anymore and when he did, it was portraying him as a bad guy. Kurt has been doing that shit since the 90s, and it's part of his Olympic gimmick.

I don't see Gable running around with USA garb everywhere. The only people wearing USA tights other than that now are all heels.

I don't see why that matters in a Japanese company.

You know why gaijin like the Brits can get away with wearing the Union Jack in Japan while Americans would get shit on if they tried it?

You know why patriotic American gimmicks get heel heat these days?
gunviolence.jpg

Wrestling, like everything else, in the context of culture. And America is a heel these days.

Sephzilla

There's an entire sub-rant I could go on about how Japanese people should be angry at their own government for Hiroshima instead of being angry at Americans, but that's a discussion for another time. America in general has plenty of heel heat from other things (see: the post above)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know why gaijin like the Brits can get away with wearing the Union Jack in Japan while Americans would get shit on if they tried it?

Steiners wore their flag tights in Japan all the time. Giving them guff about something that happened 50 years ago that had nothing to do with them and before they were even alive in Japan would be beyond dumb. No Japanese person is going to boo an American wrestler for wearing their flag because their country got nuked.

Aiii

So not worth it
There's an entire sub-rant I could go on about how Japanese people should be angry at their own government for Hiroshima instead of being angry at Americans, but that's a discussion for another time. America in general has plenty of heel heat from other things (see: the post above)

You still had your part, though.

I mean, I could point to slavery being an American thing, but we Dutch had our part in that, so did the UK, Spain and France. We're all assholes here.

My only retort to this is:

http://rlv.zcache.com/back_to_back_world_war_champs_eagle_poster-r13715f1e1978499ca6f1adddc6e49661_fsnd1_8byvr_512.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Heh, what amuses me most is how some people in the US are convinced they single handedly liberated Europe from Nazi Germany.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The thing I want to know most in wrestling, and likely never will, are receipts for wrestlers in the 70s and 80s in Japan.

Specifically, I want to know how much guys like Mil Mascaras, Bruiser Brody, Andre , and Hogan and the like were making. I always hear about 'Andre money' from older guys of that era when they're talking about working Japan. But like, I wonder how much Mil made for example. Did he make as much as Hansen? More? Less? Hansen had a longer legacy there, but Mil was in it much earlier and was CRAZY over when he showed up. I saw two dudes getting in a fight in the audience over his entrance mask.

'Quiet respectful Japanese crowd', getting in a fight over Mil's mask.

Steiners wore their flag tights in Japan all the time. Giving them guff about something that happened 50 years ago that had nothing to do with them and before they were even alive in Japan would be beyond dumb. No Japanese person is going to boo an American wrestler for wearing their flag because their country got nuked.

A cursory GIS for "Steiners in Japan" and "Steiners wrestling Japan" shows them in their neon zebra striped singlets. Unless you're referring to the stars and stripes singlets from the Steiner Screwdriver gif:
hXjfD7r.0.gif

Rikidozan's whole thing was that he was the Japanese hero putting down foreign, specifically American heels. Anti-American heat is practically built into puro.

Sephzilla

You still had your part, though.

I mean, I could point to slavery being an American thing, but we Dutch had our part in that, so did the UK, Spain and France. We're all assholes here.

*Shrug* There's logic behind the idea that Hiroshima in the big picture saved lives, because every single historian worth a grain of salt all say that a ground incursion into WW2 Japan would have been one of the biggest bloodbaths in the history of the human world.

Heh, what amuses me most is how some people in the US are convinced they single handedly liberated Europe from Nazi Germany.

Yeah, I've never been comfortable with how revisionist the US story of WW2 has gotten. I mean, sure, we definitely helped but most of the heavy lifting the US did in WW2 was in the Pacific.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A cursory GIS for "Steiners in Japan" and "Steiners wrestling Japan" shows them in their neon zebra striped singlets. Unless you're referring to the stars and stripes singlets from the Steiner Screwdriver gif:
hXjfD7r.0.gif

Rikidozan's whole thing was that he was the Japanese hero putting down foreign, specifically American heels. Anti-American heat is practically built into puro.

Rikidozan's era was a lot different than the 80s and 90s because it was still close to the events of WW2. That stuff's as dated as stuff like The Orient Express. Jumbo wasn't rolling through evil Americans. Dr Death, Hansen, Brody, and the likes weren't playing evil American heels.

I mean, you do know how over American boy Terry Funk was in Japan in the 80s, right?

Yeah, I've never been comfortable with how revisionist the US story of WW2 has gotten. I mean, sure, we definitely helped but most of the heavy lifting the US did in WW2 was in the Pacific.

It's one of those things I saw as a shirt and thought it was the most ridiculous American thing ever. I only reference it in conversations like this where it turns into a bit of dick waving contest about country pride.

OK let's see what I do that is stereotypically Scottish.

I only wear kilts at weddings.
I eat haggis like once a year.
I am not a heavy drinker I stop after about two drinks.

Top Bottom