• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Fistbump.gif

I like you. Good principles.

Work rant:
So both of our IT guys have handed in their notice with immediate effect in the last month; going to keep my head down and watch the fireworks. 3 years and I'll hit my goal of leaving before I'm 40... man, this place...

Also, Cody at BOLA should be great.

I can just imagine your work server going down and with no IT staff on hand, it'll be a nightmare.

What would be cool, my dream of Kane v Mortis. Yes Rocky!

Does Jericho talk about the invasion in his second book? I'd love to know what his feelings were about wCw guys coming over.

Browny

Banned
I can just imagine your work server going down and with no IT staff on hand, it'll be a nightmare.
Well they brought in an IT director a while back who pissed the two chaps off... one left so the director recruited a friend of his; second guy has walked this morning citing constructive dismissal.

Popcorn.gif

I need to look busy and not use the works Internet directly :) no more NJPW on a morning.

Well they brought in an IT director a while back who pissed the two chaps off... one left so the director recruited a friend of his; second guy has walked this morning citing constructive dismissal.

Popcorn.gif

I need to look busy and not use the works Internet directly :) no more NJPW on a morning.

Reminds me of when I used to watch Noah in college on youtube lol.

I hope Taguchi wins BOSJ. Not only has he had a good run for this tournament, but him winning the BOSJ would help keep him as a strongly booked member of the junior heavyweight division with his experience, you could set up a Kushida feud, a BUSHI feud, and just have more of a veteran type role like Kanemoto used to server and Liger serves but without all the age and using a wrestler that's relatively over in Taguchi. I used the words 'stepping stone' and that's all an Ospready win would serve. Likely lead to one IWGP Jr title reign, maybe a month or two of forgettable feuds that don't build the division as the premiere place to be because there is ABSOLUTEY no way Ospreay isn't in the Heavyweight division by 2017. Maybe even by the end of the year. Ospreay doesn't need the win if he's going to get the push regardless.

Ideally though, I would have liked BUSHI to finally get his chance. I think a KUSHIDA/BUSHI feud is extremely natural and helps the division rather than just something to bump Ospreay's worth up or something to solidify Taguchi with.

I would have also liekd Kamaitachi in BOSJ to win it, but the way NJPW's booking is? There's absolutely no way they don't have bigger plans for Kamaitachi. They'd be foolish not to look at the big picture with someone as ridiculously talented and capable of all styles like him. Which continues to suck for the junior division. At this point, I can only hope they close NOAH and pick up their juniors, merge them with NJPW's juniors, and have a proper division going.

Ospreay doesn't need the win, imo - he's 2 months into a 2 year contract, plenty of time for him to go after the Jr. title. I don't see him moving to heavyweight at all though, he's tall, but his style is extremely Jr. heavyweight orientated. I think Taguchi winning the BoSJ will ultimately be more about KUSHIDA, whether or not Taguchi beats him for the title it becomes about KUSHIDA defeating the veteran who ended his last title reign - he only beat Taguchi for the very first time in this year's BoSJ. Also, while I would have liked to see BUSHI win, it's good to see that their feud is continuing. BUSHI can be the rival KUSHIDA's in need of.

Kamaitachi said he wants to return as a heavyweight, if that happens I'd prefer it to him coming back as a Jr. and then moving up to heavyweight.

klonere

Banned
Won't be able to watch BoSJ finals live sadly.

Watching Swerved clips on twitter and having to conceal laughter in work though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Here's my booking:

Suzuki returns and wins G1. Beats Naito for the title since Naito's popular enough that he's pretty much a tweener at this point anyways. Set up Suzuki vs Okada, Suzuki vs Shibata, Naito vs Sanada, Tanahashi vs Suzuki, etc and give Suzuki his third so he can be a Triple Crown finally

How many more Teddy Long appearances were there last night after the first one? Love that guy.

AJ v Cena promo off worth a gawk too?

Becky does speak weird, I feel like she's trying to not have her accent be too strong.

RIP Kimbo Slice. Provider of many hours of YouTube entertainment

I hope Taguchi wins BOSJ. Not only has he had a good run for this tournament, but him winning the BOSJ would help keep him as a strongly booked member of the junior heavyweight division with his experience, you could set up a Kushida feud, a BUSHI feud, and just have more of a veteran type role like Kanemoto used to server and Liger serves but without all the age and using a wrestler that's relatively over in Taguchi. I used the words 'stepping stone' and that's all an Ospready win would serve. Likely lead to one IWGP Jr title reign, maybe a month or two of forgettable feuds that don't build the division as the premiere place to be because there is ABSOLUTEY no way Ospreay isn't in the Heavyweight division by 2017. Maybe even by the end of the year. Ospreay doesn't need the win if he's going to get the push regardless.

Ideally though, I would have liked BUSHI to finally get his chance. I think a KUSHIDA/BUSHI feud is extremely natural and helps the division rather than just something to bump Ospreay's worth up or something to solidify Taguchi with.

I would have also liekd Kamaitachi in BOSJ to win it, but the way NJPW's booking is? There's absolutely no way they don't have bigger plans for Kamaitachi. They'd be foolish not to look at the big picture with someone as ridiculously talented and capable of all styles like him. Which continues to suck for the junior division. At this point, I can only hope they close NOAH and pick up their juniors, merge them with NJPW's juniors, and have a proper division going.

I would have no problem with Taniguchi winning unless they want the Ospreay rematch before he has to go get surgery.

thefro

That's great, I don't really have much of a preference either way but she'd benefit more if she was a little physically imposing. They really should just keep the delusional "total diva" shtick with her and not make her "the muscle" or whatever they want to do with her. I also don't hate the WralleGAF idea of her being a female Scott Steiner though maybe go a bit of a different way with it.

Agreed, it's kind of hard for her to be a credible powerhouse/bully heel when she's at least 2" shorter than everyone else on the main roster.

miserable

choptfr3p.gif

chop2v2oor.gif

chop35kphz.gif

Oh my god these fatal four ways and six-man tag matches are getting to be too much. It's like Russo all over again where they latch onto a match gimmick and beat it to death.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why is it Americans get shit for overdoing it with the patriotism a la flag waving gimmick but no one seems to say shit when so many British people do it?

Especially in wrestling.

Can someone ELI5 BOLA? Will I be able to watch this online in some way?

1314488_o.gif

It's PWG's annual 24 person 3 night tournament, Battle of Los Angeles. Probably not unfair to say it's the biggest event in the Indy year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles_(professional_wrestling)

Only way to watch is whenever PWG get the DVD's out, usually a couple months after. Won't be anywhere online (other than torrents) for a long while after the DVD release.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why is it Americans get shit for overdoing it with the patriotism a la flag waving gimmick but no one seems to say shit when so many British people do it?

Especially in wrestling.

Honestly? American Patriotism is pretty obnoxious, so that's probably why. You don't just support your country or countrymen, you seem to be absolutely 100% convinced that America is the greatest country on Earth and everyone should be like America.

When realistically (and also objectively by most research) you're pretty much midfield to lower end of all the western countries.

So yeah, it's pretty much a by-association thing, patriotism is linked to the massive ego the US as a country exudes.

Samus4145

Especially in wrestling.

How about Canada having a Maple Leaf in EVERY LOGO. Go to Mcd's and they have a maple leaf near the arch.

Especially in wrestling.

I have flat waving of all kinds, it's bullshit, cheer the individual based or their own merits, not their nationality.

Honestly? American Patriotism is pretty obnoxious, so that's probably why. You don't just support your country or countrymen, you seem to be absolutely 100% convinced that America is the greatest country on Earth and everyone should be like America.

When realistically (and also objectively by most research) you're pretty much midfield to lower end of all the western countries.

So yeah, it's pretty much a by-association thing, patriotism is linked to the massive ego the US as a country exudes.

Anybody who unironically believes the US is the greatest country on Earth needs to open their eyes and grow the fuck up. It is great in some regard but is has serious chronic problems.

Especially in wrestling.

Oh, please. There's SO MUCH patriotism in American wrestling, WWE especially, I don't think you guys even notice, but it's incredibly noticeable to a foreigner. We're not generally an overly-patriotic nation, but god forbid a young man take pride in the country of his birth!

Ithil

Especially in wrestling.

There's a difference between being a patriot and being a total fanatic for your country.

Also let's not forget the huge amount of USA vs the World feuds we have seen. Or wrestlers who have been typecast as heels just for being from outside the US.

Aiii

So not worth it
There's a difference between being a patriot and being a total fanatic for your country.

American patriotism is very different from European patriotism, though, as Boots pointed out you probably don't even notice this.

It's not a knock on you guys, either, but it's just very apparent when you watch a program like WWE puts on, which is very very america-centric.

I mean, I cringe every time it's Veteran's day or Tribute to the Troops day and there's a video package where we hear about how amazing America is and how blessed everyone is for serving America and what not. Just to use as an example.

In most of the rest of the world being in the military is literally just another job, and while we have our memorial day, there are no 3-minute "yay troops" videos leading into our TV programs, for instance.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh, please. There's SO MUCH patriotism in American wrestling, WWE especially, I don't think you guys even notice, but it's incredibly noticeable to a foreigner. We're not generally an overly-patriotic nation, but god forbid a young man take pride in the country of his birth!

Bro, two of your most notable guys wear Union Flags all over their jocks
tumblr_o5ghshq12n1rbmjvuo2_500.gif

ostruch.png

I don't see Ricochet running around in America trunks. Obviously John Cena wears a lot of American flag apparel because it's part of his gimmick as a fake marine or whatever the fuck. Beyond that, who else does it? Swagger doesn't do it anymore and when he did, it was portraying him as a bad guy. Kurt has been doing that shit since the 90s, and it's part of his Olympic gimmick.

I don't see Gable running around with USA garb everywhere. The only people wearing USA tights other than that now are all heels.
Also let's not forget the huge amount of USA vs the World feuds we have seen. Or wrestlers who have been typecast as heels just for being from outside the US.

I don't see why that matters in a Japanese company.

Aiii

So not worth it

I don't see Ricochet running around in America trunks. Obviously John Cena wears a lot of American flag apparel because it's part of his gimmick as a fake marine or whatever the fuck. Beyond that, who else does it? Swagger doesn't do it anymore and when he did, it was portraying him as a bad guy. Kurt has been doing that shit since the 90s, and it's part of his Olympic gimmick.

I don't see Gable running around with USA garb everywhere. The only people wearing USA tights other than that now are all heels.

Wearing a Union Jack clothing item is one thing, threatening to attack Owens for stepping on a title belt that has a US flag on it, that's American Patriotism.

Aiii and my Euro bros, back me up here - US patriotism is kinda weird, right? Politicians and presenters dropping "greatest country on earth" all over the place, the president being called "the leader of the free world", national anthem sung at the start of every live event, flag worship, support the troops mentality, etc.

Aiii

So not worth it
Aiii and my Euro bros, back me up here - US patriotism is kinda weird, right? Politicians and presenters dropping "greatest country on earth" all over the place, national anthem sung at the start of every live event, flag worship, support the troops mentality, etc.

Add "God bless our country" to that list as well, it's very weird.

Aiii and my Euro bros, back me up here - US patriotism is kinda weird, right? Politicians and presenters dropping "greatest country on earth" all over the place, the president being called "the leader of the free world", national anthem sung at the start of every live event, flag worship, support the troops mentality, etc.
Yup. At the same time, I can see the point here:
tumblr_o5ghshq12n1rbmjvuo2_500.gif

ostruch.png

I don't see Ricochet running around in America trunks.
It's a representation thing. Not many Brits make it to the world stage historically, whereas Americans have a huge advantage in that regard, so they don't feel the need to represent their country personally. The America patriotism manifests itself at more of the company level, and much more intensely that "Oh hey, I'm from this country".

Top Bottom