• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

strobogo

Banned
tumblr_mp0kciASPe1rt4wx0o1_500.png

Is this a set up for a feud with AJ since she takes issue with selfies?

I tried to watch all the shows every week right after Mania, and lasted about three weeks before i threw in the towel. It's like, in the hands of a skilled editor, you could take all the TV and all the .com promos like this, and make the best weekly two-hour wrestling show in history. The problem is that two hours of fantastic material takes seven hours to sift through and I just don't have the time.

So...I spent 22 dollars to get Nintendo Club Platinum status.

I don't even know what the prize is.

...Help me Jesus

Also hooray, I don't have stuff to do wrestling wise until July 20th (Coastal Pro) and then July 27/28th (Dragon Gate USA). I can nap and be a normal human!

strobogo

Banned
I tried to watch all the shows every week right after Mania, and lasted about three weeks before i threw in the towel. It's like, in the hands of a skilled editor, you could take all the TV and all the .com promos like this, and make the best weekly two-hour wrestling show in history. The problem is that two hours of fantastic material takes seven hours to sift through and I just don't have the time.

You can't watch all of it. And you can't watch it live. You have to watch it on DVR or Hulu and skip stuff. There are so many fades to Vickie/Mad Ox/Teddy doing nothing for 5 minutes in the back through out the shows. And dreadfully boring interview segments. And Miz TV. And ads for movies and shit. Skip Superstars altogether now, watch all of NXT, and you should be able to get through both Raw and Smackdown in about 2 hours together. I feel terrible for anyone who actually watches all of Raw and Smackdown live every week. It's brutal. Smackdown is usually like 30% Raw recaps anyway.

Oh shit, I forgot about Main Event. Just watch the first match. The second match is always a waste and the promo videos in between are useless.

Even the best Raw they can produce right now is a chore to sit through for 3 hours.

Guys, I'm legit shook right now. I came home this weekend from school, and sometime in between visits my little siblings have become huge WWE fans without any of my doing. I just got done listening to my 7 year old sister go through all the current storylines with me, and told me all the wrestlers she likes and doesn't. We also looked through the WWE Magazine with Cena on the cover.

Wrestlers she likes:
AJ Lee
Kaitlyn
Randy Orton (Who is also her secret crush)
Triple H
Big E Langston

Wrestler she hates:
John Cena
Daniel Bryan
Curtis Axel
Alberto Del Rio

Other wrestlers she told me about were CM Punk, Damien Sandow, Sheamus, Jericho, Ryback and Roman Reigns (She didn't know the other two members of The Shield). She also knew who Paul Heyman was.

Unfortunately, she didn't know who Bo Dallas is.

Tendo

Guys, I'm legit shook right now. I came home this weekend from school, and sometime in between visits my little siblings have become huge WWE fans without any of my doing. I just got done listening to my 7 year old sister go through all the current storylines with me, and told me all the wrestlers she likes and doesn't. We also looked through the WWE Magazine with Cena on the cover.

Wrestlers she likes:
AJ Lee
Kaitlyn
Randy Orton (Who is also her secret crush)
Triple H
Big E Langston

Wrestler she hates:
John Cena
Daniel Bryan
Curtis Axel
Alberto Del Rio

Other wrestlers she told me about were CM Punk, Damien Sandow, Sheamus, Jericho, Ryback and Roman Reigns (She didn't know the other two members of The Shield). She also knew who Paul Heyman was.

Unfortunately, she didn't know who Bo Dallas is.

Smart kid.

Seriously - that is awesome though. That'll be super fun for you guys.

strobogo

Banned
She doesn't like D-Bryne? What the fuck? Kids love hobbits who kick fucking heads in. I like that she likes Big E, though. IT WAS MEEEE ALLLL ALONG! So good.

Sabucin

Sup Gaffers! I have been watching old WWE matches and some questions has apeared:

• Why Dudley Boyz left WWE?
  • Jericho said that he never had been injured, its that true?
  • In the first ever Elimination Chamber match RVD almost killed HHH with his Five-stars frog splash from the top at one of the little chambers, and I knew that the RVD's push was stopped because of that, its that true?

I invoke your knowledge gaffers, thank you :)

Sup Gaffers! I have been watching some old WWE matches and some questions have apeared:

• In the first ever Elimination Chamber match RVD almost killed HHH with his Five-stars frog splash from the top at one of the little chambers, and I knew that the RVD's push was stopped because of that, its that true?

Think it was a combo of money/we have nothing for you

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA No, that fucker's been hurt before

Definitely didn't help! I'd say for a time, sure.

strobogo

Banned
1. Dudleys were really stale and they just kind of stopped using the guys. Then they had some issues with contracts they both decided go their separate ways. I think it was the right choice, but I also expected them to come back in a year or two. They were about the most stale guys in wrestling in 2005 and stayed that way until Bubba turned into Bully Ray. They were stale as fuck by 2002. So both having failed solo pushes and then coming back together was awful, And Bubba's shorts kept getting shorter.

2. I don't think he's had any serious injuries. Just the minor stuff everyone gets.

3. Allegedly, but RVD's push had stalled out before that. They fucked it up in 2001 not giving him a title run when he was the most over guy on the roster, and then the feud with HHH ended a few months before SS2002. I'm sure injuring HHH didn't help things, though, but it was clear they didn't have the faith in him to give him the belt even before that.

Sabucin

RVD has always given off the vibe of being an unreliable asshole in the industry.

Thank for your answers :)

He demostrated that when he was the ECW/WWE Champion after beating Cena (an amazing push) and then he was arrested because of drugs.
Kind of young Orton.

strobogo

Banned
They absolutely should have given him the belt at No Mercy 2001, though. He could have pinned Angle and lost it back to Austin. They didn't have to give him a long one. A month or even 2 week reign would have made so much sense then. It's stupid they didn't pull the trigger on it. It would have actually made more sense with Austin's character at the time. That would have been great with him going even more off the deep end with paranoia after RVD took his title.

Sabucin

Why wasn't Test a bigger star?

Actually it is a good question. He always had the potential, the look, the physical and some mic skills to be a star in WWF/E.
I think his most significant moment was when he won the Inmunity Battle Royal (Survivor Series 2001) and his run on ECW.

Sup Gaffers! I have been watching old WWE matches and some questions has apeared:

1) The Dudleys were informed by WWE shortly after ECW One Night Stand 2005 that their contracts were not being renewed at their current rate of pay and wanted them to take lesser money deals. The Dudleys said no thanks and took off to TNA. WWE responded by copyrighting their "Dudleys" name when they saw the copyright filing (originally filed by the wrestlers themselves) had lapsed without a renewal.

2) As far as I can remember, Jericho's never suffered a serious injury that took him out for a lengthy period of time.

3) I doubt this is true. His push came to a screeching halt anyways two months before at the PPV when Triple H beat him in a singles match for the World Title right when the crowd was red hot for RVD to finally win a world title.

tm24

PWG
‏@OfficialPWG
TEN takes place on August 9th! The 2013 Battle of Los Angeles takes place on August 30th and 31st! More details coming soon.

Oh man, oh man. Oh man! OH MAN!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I keep on forgetting my grandparents watch wrestling.

It's so weird.

I had to put in an air conditioner for them and then I hear smackdown on in the background I'm like, man who gives a shit about smackdown oh yeah they like that stuff too

I bet they've seen a lot.

Edgeward

Sandow and Sheamus put on a damn fine match on SD. Shame about the loser but at least a heavily contested match all the way til the end

I thought there was some ban on shots to the head? I saw two happen in that match. And jeez at that spot with the drop toe hold into the chair's leg.

antonz

Sandow and Sheamus put on a damn fine match on SD. Shame about the loser but at least a heavily contested match all the way til the end

I thought there was some ban on shots to the head? I saw two happen in that match. And jeez at that spot with the drop toe hold into the chair's leg.

I think some of the guys are showing themselves willing to take some of the banned shots and pay the fine to give the match more. Will likely lead to corporate increasing the fine. Orton and Bryan as well have recently done headshots with chairs.

Omega

Banned

i stopped watching wrestling like 2-3 months ago..they're still fighting?

I bet Sandow still hasn't one a match against Irish Cena

speedline

Banned
Anyone else enjoying TNA Impact? I just recently began watching it again, not every week but here and there. Bully Ray is jacked now, lost a bunch of weight and got in shape it seems. I didn't see the formation of Aces and Eights but it looks to be a pretty solid group angle against Stings group. The Knockouts division is fun to watch, the women wrestlers are pretty darn talented. I liked the old school angle this week with the Suicide switch, then unmasking all in one episode rather than stringing it along for 3 months or something. Thats the way it's supposed to done, imo.

The reason I checked up on TNA is because they are coming to my town soon, so I decided what the hell, might as well check it out again and go see them live.

Anyway, haven't followed WWE closely at all but Diggler is top class wrestler imo. I would push the shit out of him (if they haven't already, I don't know)

daemissary

I think some of the guys are showing themselves willing to take some of the banned shots and pay the fine to give the match more. Will likely lead to corporate increasing the fine. Orton and Bryan as well have recently done headshots with chairs.

If corporate actually cared, they would edit them out of the pretaped shows. So dumb.

strobogo

Banned
If you missed the formation of A8, you didn't miss anything, because NOTHING happened for 9 months. That's not even an exaggeration. It was just random beat downs for months on end with no progression of the angle.

speedline

Banned
If you missed the formation of A8, you didn't miss anything, because NOTHING happened for 9 months. That's not even an exaggeration. It was just random beat downs for months on end with no progression of the angle.

Jesus, I hate slow as hell storytelling. Hopefully they don't do that with this new Sting group. Set up the rivalry, promote the grudges for a bit, and hit the conclusion at a PPV. That was the way it used to be in the old days. Setup to some sort of conclusion (or begin a different setup) all within a couple of months. I miss the days of 4 major PPVs a year, every one would be hype as fuck as a kid. Now they seem watered down from the saturation and constant title switches.

strobogo

Banned
The time line of A8 was something like this:

Sting is randomly attacked and murdered to end a show.

Random attacks happen for months until one guy (Bonecrusher, who was played by Luke Gallows on Impact, but Mike Knoxx on a PPV to keep guys guessing) had a match with Austin Aries.

A8 gained "full access" to the Impact Zone, which is all they really wanted. And all they did was hang out and play cards.

Months later, Bully Ray picks up the TNA mantle and begs to help. Sting trusts him. Hogan doesn't. The first member to be revealed is Devon because SWERVE!

Months later, Garrett Bischoff and Wes Brisco (who we're supposed to believe is a big deal, but had I think one match and was just some random guy who was friends with Kurt Angle from time to time) joined.

Months later, Bully Ray SWERVES the world and is revealed as the leader of A8.

At various points, D'Lo Brown, Mike Knoxx, and Luke Gallows were revealed as members.

This all literally took 9 months. It not only killed the shows, but killed the momentum of other angles and wrestlers, particularly Austin Aries, who was in the middle of face title run and the hottest guy in the company. Due to the angle, they turned him heel and put the title back on Jeff Hardy. And it fucking sucked.

I really think it was close to 6 months before the first guy was unmasked.

The time line of A8 was something like this:

Sting is randomly attacked and murdered to end a show.

Random attacks happen for months until one guy (Bonecrusher, who was played by Luke Gallows on Impact, but Mike Knoxx on a PPV to keep guys guessing) had a match with Austin Aries.

A8 gained "full access" to the Impact Zone, which is all they really wanted. And all they did was hang out and play cards.

Months later, Bully Ray picks up the TNA mantle and begs to help. Sting trusts him. Hogan doesn't. The first member to be revealed is Devon because SWERVE!

Months later, Garrett Bischoff and Wes Brisco (who we're supposed to believe is a big deal, but had I think one match and was just some random guy who was friends with Kurt Angle from time to time) joined.

Months later, Bully Ray SWERVES the world and is revealed as the leader of A8.

At various points, D'Lo Brown, Mike Knoxx, and Luke Gallows were revealed as members.

This all literally took 9 months. It not only killed the shows, but killed the momentum of other angles and wrestlers, particularly Austin Aries, who was in the middle of face title run and the hottest guy in the company. Due to the angle, they turned him heel and put the title back on Jeff Hardy. And it fucking sucked.

I really think it was close to 6 months before the first guy was unmasked.

I THINK YOU'RE FORGETTING SOMEONE

ikOagfWIVpfef.gif

speedline

Banned
Glad I missed all that. One thing I really do like is AJ styles lonewolf persona. He always had that kind of corny "poor mans" Chris Jericho thing going on for me and I like this new(?) AJ much better. He sort of has a Raven type vibe without the philosophical bit. I like it and the look fits him.

The thing about the A8's VS Sting MEM reminds me of a WarGames style setup. I would so be down for a Wargames throwback match, ha.

strobogo

Banned
Well, TNA does their own Wargames knock off every year at Lockdown, though it is one ring and lame. And that show already happened. But I wouldn't at all be surprised if that angle is still running into next March or April. It's been going for a full year now and doesn't look like it is ending anytime soon.

speedline

Banned
I THINK YOU'RE FORGETTING SOMEONE

ikOagfWIVpfef.gif

Ha, I am assuming Taz joined before the Bully ray reveal based on Bully's reaction. I thought Taz was actually pretty good at color this week, making jokes about Magnus' "mario pants". He also kept calling that prospect "Van Hammer" which got a chuckle from me considering how big I was into wrestling during that time.

I'm so not interested in Hardy, especially as champ. I don't think the fans care for him either. They need to expand the roster a bit so I'm glad to see thwy are letting new talent get a shot with the gutcheck deal.

Also, it's a lot more enjoyable with them filming shows on the road rather than the Impact Zone.

strobogo

Banned
Don't be excited about Gutcheck. 2 yes votes doesn't mean a spot on Impact. It means getting sent to OVW for training. Only two guys have made regular appearances on TV after winning.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, I'm giving up on Impact. I didn't watch last weeks after spending the weeks before skipping through it in 10-15 minutes per episode. This weeks I skipped through to watch the Suicide angle stuff, minus anything solo-Hogan of course.

There's nothing on that show to stick around for. Roode, Aries, Storm, Bully Ray, AJ Styles, Mickie James and Bad Influence: these are guys that would be a welcome addition to WWE, but the rest I can do without.

Top Bottom