• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I want this feud to continue just for more stuff like this. It's what drives wrestling, damn it!

Oh man, I never noticed until now what AJ did after Punk grabbed her chin.

Yr1CI.gif

SoulPlaya to the rescue.

hh6bt.gif
I wish I was strong enough to just pick up a girl that easily. But at my weight (135 lbs.), I would probably need someone to carry me, lol.

Khrno

AJ interview with NorthJersey.com

On Sunday, June 17, the self-described “geek goddess” of wrestling will appear at the Izod Center in the Meadowlands as storylines unfold around a WWE title match between the company’s A-list stars CM Punk, Kane and her storyline ex-boyfriend Daniel Bryan.

“It is the most mind-blowing thing to me. I feel like everything happens for a reason and everything comes around full circle,” said Lee.

Just six years into her wrestling career, the 25-year-old Lee is a fixture on WWE’s weekly “Raw” and “Smackdown” programs. But the pint-sized WWE Diva recalled the harder times she experienced growing up in Union City with her family.

“We never had anybody. We lived in motels, other people’s houses” said Lee. “It’s so surreal…I could not be more proud, especially to go back there.”

Lee cited her brother’s interest in WWE when they were kids as an influence on her eventual decision to break into the male-dominated world of wrestling entertainment.

“I was best friends with my brother. I did anything he did. I was a little copycat and … I just sat down and kind of just fell in love with it,” said Lee, who occasionally wears camouflage ring gear in matches as a nod to her brother, who served tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Lee said she wasn’t even a teenager when she cemented her ambition to pursue a pro wrestling career.

“I very vividly remember when I was 12 years old, my mother was walking past my room and I was like ‘I’m going to be a wrestler and I’ve decided that’ and she’s like ‘OK Sure’,” Lee recalls. “That was my mission in life and I did everything possible to make it happen.”

After graduating high school, Lee worked several jobs in order to save up the money she needed to both support her family and attend wrestling school.

“I had a bunch of part time jobs. I was a janitor at day care. I was a cashier. And I just did that to support my family, but I wanted a little bit more money because I had to support wrestling school,” she said, adding that she eventually took on a full-time job as a secretary to pay for her training.

At 5-foot-3 and 107 pounds, Lee didn’t look like the cookie-cutter female wrestler.

“I knew that I didn’t look like everybody else so I wasn’t going to take the traditional route of everybody so I kind of needed to learn my craft and just get myself there no matter what.”

She said she found inspiration in watching the female WWE stars that came before her, including Trish Stratus, Lita, Molly Holly, and Stephanie McMahon.

After an early run on the independent wrestling scene in New Jersey, Lee secured a legion of local fans that have followed her rise to the big-time.

“New Jersey has a rabid fan base for wrestling - especially women’s wrestling,” Lee said. “The fans are so strong and so passionate…They’ve been watching me since I was 19, and I’m 25 now, so they’ve kind of seen me grow up.”

Lee's breakout success came when she was introduced to the WWE's "Smackdown" audience.

“When I first got on 'Smackdown' there were a couple of matches where there were AJ chants in the crowd, and I was [unknown]," said Lee. "For them to kind of embrace me and come after it with little AJ chants - that was so moving.”

Today, Lee plays a major part in storylines involving some of WWE’s biggest names, including CM Punk, The Big Show, and Sheamus. At WrestleMania 28, she walked to the ring as Daniel Bryan’s manager for the World Heavyweight Championship Match.

“I had no idea that essentially [Bryan and myself] would be at WrestleMania,” said Lee. “It wasn’t the happiest day for Daniel Bryan, but we came back through the curtain and I just cried like a baby and was just so happy my dream was realized.”

Lee hopes to make her mark on WrestleMania 29, taking place at the Meadowlands’ MetLife Stadium in April.

“The basic kid in you wants to be in a video game and wants to have an action figure and so those are two things [that] I’m really looking forward to one day,” said Lee of her career goals in wrestling. “But the ultimate goal, as a woman in this industry, is to be the Champion.”

Lee’s borderline-schizophrenic character keeps fans guessing about match outcomes. In this Sunday’s “No Way Out” storyline, Lee finds herself in a love rectangle, with the coveted WWE Title in the balance.

AJ is an admirable young woman.

DMczaf

Wait, the stip for Shoe/Cener tomorrow is pretty much win or get fired for both guys?

So either way, it's going to be a bullshit storyline?

Ia9tJ.gif

DMczaf

Remember when WWE was trying to sell Orton/Cena as this generation's Rock/Austin, and then they setup the showdown at Royal Rumble and the crowd went DEAD SILENT?

We never heard a word about Orton/Cena again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Remember when WWE was trying to sell Orton/Cena as this generation's Rock/Austin, and then they setup the showdown at Royal Rumble and the crowd went DEAD SILENT?

Brotista took Orton's push and told him
tumblr_m4354k49eo1qgfobut6.gif

Khrno

I liked heel Orton, the legend killer was great, Rated RKO was fantastic, Legacy could have been better. Cena in the other hand has always been horrible, whatever he does is just bad, painfully bad.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just put some £8 in lol.

Beth Phoenix , Cody Rhodes , Dolph Ziggler , Kane
Total Stake £5.00
Potential Returns £533.20

Christian , Dolph Ziggler , Daniel Bryan
Total Stake £3.00
Potential Returns £33.45

I'm sure I'll have a better chance here than with the fucking Euros.

Wait, on boths bets you put Ziggler over Irish Cena?

Buwhahahaha!

I liked heel Orton, the legend killer was great, Rated RKO was fantastic, Legacy could have been better. Cena in the other hand has always been horrible, whatever he does is just bad, painfully bad.

You telling me you didn't like his matches with Angle, Edge and Eddie?

Khrno

Wait, on boths bets you put Ziggler over Irish Cena?

Buwhahahaha!

I had a £10 accumulator for this weekend that included fucking Russia. So yeah, better bet for the swerves.

I liked Angle, Edge and Eddie. I liked Punk last year too.

On the topic of Cena, I read the other day and article or interview defending Cena, but I can't remember who was it, anyway this guy was commending Cena and getting behind him by how every time he produces the biggest reaction on any arena he goes to, being cheers by little kids and girls, or boos by guys. During his matches and promos the heat he gets with the "Let's go Cena/Cena sucks" chants usually surpasses any chants for his opponents, excluding especial situations like Philadelphia, Chicago, Canada or Miami this year. That's why the guy is where he is, and that's commendable.

However if people really dislike Cena, and don't want him around anymore, chanting Cena sucks doesn't help the cause, it only prompts Vince to sell a new shirt. I just don't have a reaction for the guy anymore.

My favorite part is when they briefly cut to the Spanish language commentators.

There was a short period of time where I would skip watching RAW on Monday nights, and wait for the replay to air on Telemundo on Sunday afternoons so I could listen to the Spanish commentary instead. It was a massive improvement; not only could I ignore Cole or King, but Cabrera and Savinovich actually called the freaking matches, and had some enthusiasm about the promos and matches.

Unfortunately, my apartment doesn't have the proper signal strength to pick up Telemundo anymore :(

You mean the part when their big punch off was like a playground slap fight? on top of the silence that pretty much solidified the inferiority of those two.

Khrno

I was thinking how times have changed.

20 years ago at Wembley for Summerslam, Bret Hart, before becoming a huge superstar, went to Vince and asked him to put him and Bulldog on last saying that nobody would be able to follow them up. Besides the fact that Bulldog was playing at home ground that day, he was confident on the type of performance they would put out, Vince was reluctant at first, specially because he had just seen Bulldog in a training match not too long ago and he wasn't as sharp as usual. But in the end he took Bret's word and let them go on last after Taker's dud match, but even more so, after what was supposed to be the main event, Warrior and Savage.

But today, I wonder what would be Vince's reaction if someone like Bryan comes to him backstage before the ppv, and asks him to have his match go last, because nothing that Cena would do could follow up his match.

Of course Vince would laugh on his face and probably have him job to Funkusaurus on Raw and Ryback on SD.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Also nothing says more about the state of the Divas division than the fact that the youtube pre-show has more hype than a Divas title match.

Striker

Edge from 2006-2007 was probably the last really good WWE heel in the main event level, at least one who won on a consistent basis. He was on fire then.

Angle and Eddie could wrestle with paperbags and make it look fantastic.

Cener isn't a bad wrestler, but his stuff from 2006-now is very forgettable and unless he faces top notch guys like HBK, his matches are generally boring. The only matches of his I remember vividly were ones where he's dominated for 20 minutes and he has this little surge in 2 minutes and the guy is squashed. See Miz, Umaga, Lesnar, Big Show, Khali, Swagger, Batista, Del Rio, etc.

Carnby

On the topic of Cena, I read the other day and article or interview defending Cena, but I can't remember who was it, anyway this guy was commending Cena and getting behind him by how every time he produces the biggest reaction on any arena he goes to, being cheers by little kids and girls, or boos by guys. During his matches and promos the heat he gets with the "Let's go Cena/Cena sucks" chants usually surpasses any chants for his opponents, excluding especial situations like Philadelphia, Chicago, Canada or Miami this year. That's why the guy is where he is, and that's commendable.

However if people really dislike Cena, and don't want him around anymore, chanting Cena sucks doesn't help the cause, it only prompts Vince to sell a new shirt. I just don't have a reaction for the guy anymore.

It was JBL who said that, I believe.

Top Bottom