• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Khrno

Company Man on Jimmy Fallon video.

So why does he think this is cool? Milestones.

tumblr_m5v5wySajU1r3j80ko2_250.gif

uZta6.png

Fuck, got me there.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm most afraid of when the angle ends. AJ is now main event status. Well after Cena of course, but since everyone just tunes out for Cena segments, it's close enough. Once this angle ends, she is back to square one, maybe she gets to walk around with either Bryan or Punk and make faces when the camera zooms in on her during their matches, but that's it.

I was hoping they'd use her popularity (I mean, the crowd is chanting for her now and she gets bigger pops then any diva for at least 2 years) to elevate the divas division. Put her in some proper 5 minute matches against Beth/Natalya. Hell, put the damn title on her as Layla has spend the past two months getting NO reaction what-so-ever.

She deserves a continued push based on her work, so I'm hoping they'll start using her in matches as well as this angle, so at least there's some staying power after the angle is over. If they don't, she'll be back on the new NXT quickly, so she can job to Kharma in 1 minute squashes when all is said and done. :(

I needs my AJ!

jmdajr

We could always just ban WWE talk, chatter and bitching from WrassleGAF. Or split the BS off into its own separate thread.

Have a WrassleGAF thread of just pure TNA, ROH, Chikara, Evolve, New Japan and indy chatter with no WWE headaches, no Kane, no AJ, no Triple H, no "the only main event is Cena" and no Monday night headaches.

That way people don't need to seek out ex-WrassleGAF peeps in other OT community threads.

Abandon ship!

I mean

Good morning.
fruity+pebbles.jpg

Muffin

Neo Member
So behind on wrassling, but saw Slater bit on last night's RAW. Oh goddamn what a one man baa-aa-aa-nd.

Also, I dunno if anyone has noticed, but Darren Young is terrifying in this gif.

t21MR.gif

Entropia

No One Remembers
So behind on wrassling, but saw Slater bit on last night's RAW. Oh goddamn what a one man baa-aa-aa-nd.

Also, I dunno if anyone has noticed, but Darren Young is terrifying in this gif.

t21MR.gif

MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!
MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!
MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!
MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!
MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!
MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!

Khrno

Not just in that gif, him and Titus have been good in their last appearances, really hoping for some tag division time on TV, even if it's just on SD.

Aiii said:
Does anyone know why he went from One Man (Southern) Rock Band to One Man Band the last few weeks?

I don't think anyone bothered thinking that much about it.

Khrno

The more I hear Lawler every week, the more heelish he sounds, totally opposed to Cole who has tamed down quite a bit and seems way more sensible than what he used to be.

Ithil

The more I hear Lawler every week, the more heelish he sounds, totally opposed to Cole who has tamed down quite a bit and seems way more sensible than what he used to be.

He dipped into full 2011 Cole mode during that Piper segment though.

daemissary

How would that be dumb? Having her reign supreme with Bryan after a grand scheme to get atop of the WWE would be great.

This is what everyone wanted from the beginning but it would be dumb now considering AJ's actions at the ppv and last night. If she was really with Bryan all along, why would she help Punk retain and why would she distract Kane and let Bryan eat two finishers.

Aiii

So not worth it
This is what everyone wanted from the beginning but it would be dumb now considering AJ's actions at the ppv and last night. If she was really with Bryan all along, why would she help Punk retain and why would she distract Kane and let Bryan eat two finishers.

Trying to keep the title off of Kane would be a wise move, in kayfabe world Kane is alot tougher to beat for Bryan then Punk. Now, she's baiting Punk into thinking she's on his side by having him win his non-title throwaway tag-match. At Summerslam, she kicks him in the PG balls so Bryan can pin Punk and become WWE Champ.

jmdajr

How the Reality Era Has Ruined WWE Programming

Things were much simpler when kayfabe was accepted because the fans would just buy whatever the WWE was selling. If somebody does that now, however, they are labeled with a derogatory term such as "mark." The fact of the matter is, though, that believing in what is happening is admirable because it makes it easier to enjoy the product.

What say you?

Personally I feel some of the people here don't mind suspending their disbelief at all if they enjoy the character/storylines. But if you enjoy something no one else does you are definitely classified a "mark."

Ultimately everyone here is going to say that it's not about kayfabe or not-kayfabe, it's about what the product actual is. And no one here (at least) likes what WWE is putting out, whether it's reality era-ish or not.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Trying to keep the title off of Kane would be a wise move, in kayfabe world Kane is alot tougher to beat for Bryan then Punk. Now, she's baiting Punk into thinking she's on his side by having him win his non-title throwaway tag-match. At Summerslam, she kicks him in the PG balls so Bryan can pin Punk and become WWE Champ.
I understand your point, man, but that would be so dumb on the WWE's part. Luring Punk into a false sense of security, by extending his title reign for another two months when she could have ended it this past Sunday? Makes no damn sense.

knee

t21MR.gif

It's about time that the Tag Team division has gotten some power added.

D. Young is a better wrestler, but Titus kills it on the mic. They'll have the titles sooner than later for sure. Summer Slam at latest.

Khrno

Trying to keep the title off of Kane would be a wise move, in kayfabe world Kane is alot tougher to beat for Bryan then Punk.

Just as Aiii mentioned:

czh8N.gif
KGwDd.gif

Bryan can make Punk tap out, but can't even take Kane down.

I do give you that it would have been easier to just have Bryan/AJ/Punk without Kane if the outcome was meant to be AJ and Bryan WWE champion.

But is that actually an issue? Does the story have to end right now? Why can't it be a long storyline with different angles and characters (Big Show, Sheamus, Kaitlyn, Punk, Kane)?

This is certainly more interesting than having Orton/Christian during 4 or 5 months with no change or twist at all in their story, if there was even one.

Aiii

So not worth it
I understand your point, man, but that would be so dumb on the WWE's part. Luring Punk into a false sense of security, by extending his title reign for another two months when she could have ended it this past Sunday? Makes no damn sense.

No Kayfabe sense maybe, but perfect reality sense. I reckon they intend to have Punk as champ at the 1000th Raw. They got their new title design coming up, which they probably want Punk to introduce (again, expecting this at Raw 1000) seeing as they couldn't introduce the ice-cream bars, at least he's got one of his demands fulfilled.

Besides, if they ended the storyline here, the storyline would have ended.
(No shit Aiii, tell me more!)
AJ/Kane/Punk/Bryan has been gold, it's literally the ONLY good thing in WWE right now, so of course they didn't end it at a throwaway PPV, I get that.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Just as Aiii mentioned:

czh8N.gif
KGwDd.gif

Bryan can make Punk tap out, but can't even take Kane down.

I do give you that it would have been easier to just have Bryan/AJ/Punk without Kane if the outcome was meant to be AJ and Bryan WWE champion.

But is that actually an issue? Does the story have to end right now? Why can't it be a long storyline with different angles and characters (Big Show, Sheamus, Kaitlyn, Punk, Kane)?

This is certainly more interesting than having Orton/Christian during 4 or 5 months with no change or twist at all in their story, if there was even one.
No one is doubting that it's interesting, but the end plan is a heel Bryan/AJ, and it clearly is, then it can't simply be she's lulling Punk into a false sense of security.

Personally, I think it's going to be one of those "Punk rejects her for helping him, she snaps, and joins back up with Bryan who now likes her cause she's full blown heel."

As for Kane? I have no idea.

Kccitystar

No one is doubting that it's interesting, but the end plan is a heel Bryan/AJ, and it clearly is, then it can't simply be she's lulling Punk into a false sense of security.

Personally, I think it's going to be one of those "Punk rejects her for helping him, she snaps, and joins back up with Bryan who now likes her cause she's full blown heel."

Kane almost always gets involved in what I call "holding pattern feuds" though.

As for AJ, there should be plenty of time for AJ to get some build as a legit divas wrestler, but they need to strike while the iron is hot. I feel that they should use that crazy/psycho gimmick she's got going on as well as her presence in a main event feud to further herself as a legit competitor. Of course, this is WWE booking, I should never try to look too hard logically into these things, I'll end up in a coma if I do :|

Aiii

So not worth it
Kind of expecting Kane to retire at the end of the year or WM29 at the latest. Figured his return to the max signaled his final year.

But then he got his main event push and beat Orton at WM28 and I started doubting myself.

Khrno

How the Reality Era Has Ruined WWE Programming

What say you?

Personally I feel some of the people here don't mind suspending their disbelief if they enjoy the character/storylines. But if you enjoy something no one else does you are definitely classified a "mark."

Ultimately everyone here is going to say that it's not about kayfabe or not-kayfabe, it's about what the product actual is. And no one here (at least) likes what it putting out, whether is reality era-ish or not.

That's the bottom line. If people don't enjoy the soap-opera involving Bryan and AJ, then that's that. Same as with any other stories that might have taken place recently.

But most people can't draw the line as mentioned there. This is a show firstly and foremostly, but people try to dissect everything under real life parameters. And even if the "cover story" always revolves about the same guy, there's still many more layers below it.

I, as everyone else, would love for an attitude era again, but saying that this is the worst time there has ever been is ridiculous, it's just the same it has been pre and post attitude era. I hated WWF in the late 80s due to the stupidity of most characters, then in the early 90s the shit continued but I at least was able to get invested and care in several characters.

To me, WWF/E has always been a week product as a whole, but since the late 80s when I started watching, there has always been something that keeps me invested, some years there's more things I like, some other years there's less. The day I stop watching will be the day there isn't any performer which I'll get enjoyment from watching either inside or outside the ring, even if it's a single segment pr a single match in a card. It's not as if I never used the FF button during the attitude era, every single time, and on WWF, WCW and ECW equally.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Kane almost always gets involved in what I call "holding pattern feuds" though.

As for AJ, there should be plenty of time for AJ to get some build as a legit divas wrestler, but they need to strike while the iron is hot. I feel that they should use that crazy/psycho gimmick she's got going on as well as her presence in a main event feud to further herself as a legit competitor. Of course, this is WWE booking, I should never try to look too hard logically into these things, I'll end up in a coma if I do :|
The best thing that can happen to Bryan, AJ, and Kane, and I mean this, is a crazy heel couple of Kane & AJ and a FACE Bryan (with the same personality for the most part). I've said it before, and I'll say it again, a heel Bryan/AJ couple with the WWE title puts them on a crash course with Cena and that will end any momentum they've had.

Khrno

No one's telling that AJ will be back with Bryan right away the moment he beats Punk for the title, no one can tell either if AJ and Bryan will be actually go back together. Hell, what's interesting about this story is that as predictable that it is, it just keeps delivering and expanding, so what seemed to be the goal, keeps moving and moving.

Kane, as Kccitystar said, is just a means to an end, like Big Show was, Punk role is not as clear. Kane could still get the title, but that's not the final goal. As Aiii said, Kane is in his final run, been it next year or the year after, but he'll be involved in the main event until his retirement. His current role is to put Bryan and AJ over, and he is doing great so far.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
No one's telling that AJ will be back with Bryan right away the moment he beats Punk for the title, no one can tell either if AJ and Bryan will be actually go back together. Hell, what's interesting about this story is that as predictable that it is, it just keeps delivering and expanding, so what seemed to be the goal, keeps moving and moving.

Kane, as Kccitystar said, is just a means to an end, like Big Show was, Punk role is not as clear. Kane could still get the title, but that's not the final goal. As Aiii said, Kane is in his final run, been it next year or the year after, but he'll be involved in the main event until his retirement. His current role is to put Bryan and AJ over, and he is doing great so far.
Well, yeah, like I said, the end goal is AJ/Bryan (as unfortunate as I think that is), but it can't now simply be that she's lulling Bryan into a false sense of security. It'll most likely be that she gets rejected by Punk for helping her, and that'll drive back to Bryan somehow, but her attempts to help Punk are authentic.

BTW, anyone else think Punk has been useless in this feud? He's just gone into full smile like Cena mode.

AJ ending up with D. Brine could only be the outcome if one of two things were true. Either she was helping Bryan from the start (or from some point before now) or she worked the plan out herself in order to “win” Bryan back. The first would be illogical because, as others have pointed out, it would be the most absurdly complex Xanatos gambit around. There would be no reason for her not to make the killing stroke at last night’s PPV. Bryan doesn’t get another rematch just because he wasn’t pinned (this time), so you would need a lot of things to fall into place. Then there would be the whole issue of “okay when exactly did they get back together”.

The other option would be AJ coming up with the plan herself. This would be bad, though not necessarily because you couldn’t justify her actions (even illogical ones by reason of “crazy”). It would be bad because it justifies every bad thing Bryan said and did to her. The story arc would be:
"Bryan has title > Uses AJ to keep it > Loses title > Emotionally abuses her > She works harder to do better for him > Bryan ends up with title and submissive woman".

BTW, anyone else think Punk has been useless in this feud? He's just gone into full smile like Cena mode.

He is the Macguffin, which is probably the right use for him right now because the story is AJ and Bryan.

Khrno

The best thing that can happen to Bryan, AJ, and Kane, and I mean this, is a crazy heel couple of Kane & AJ and a FACE Bryan (with the same personality for the most part). I've said it before, and I'll say it again, a heel Bryan/AJ couple with the WWE title puts them on a crash course with Cena and that will end any momentum they've had.

Face - Heel.

That's what bothers me the most in current WWE. Characters don't have to be black or white, that's why many hurt due to those sudden changes, see Orton bland face change, see Edge 'spear' face change (he really despised that) but somehow managed to move a bit past that his last months, Punk face change, and any heel change due to what you mentioned, being fed to Cena.

Characters shouldn't follow any template, they should evolve by themselves. If Bryan were to turn face, and stop being obnoxious and turn into some goodie goodie idiot, he'd lose all the "heat" he currently has, he might get kids to buy his shirts instead of grown up men, but it would be the same situation than with Orton, it would destroy his character.

Bryan doesn't goes after the crowd, his heel persona is centered on the ring, he just lets the people join in with his #Yes. When was the last time that he came out to say that he was better than the "current location" his vegan role model stuff sucked, I'm sure he was made to say that, since it was a blatant SES copy.

SoulPlaya said:

kovJ6.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Heel Kane/AJ to me would be the ideal ending with both of them winning the titles respectively.
I don't know about Kane winning the WWE title (he doesn't need it), but I would MUCH RATHER it be Kane who drops the title to Cena, as Kane is retiring soon and he can't be buried. I seriously think, though, that Bryan could get Miz'd going up against Cena.

I agree, though, a crazy heel Kane/AJ couple would be the best outcome.

Face - Heel.

That's what bothers me the most in current WWE. Characters don't have to be black or white, that's why many hurt due to those sudden changes, see Orton bland face change, see Edge 'spear' face change (he really despised that) but somehow managed to move a bit past that his last months, Punk face change, and any heel change due to what you mentioned, being fed to Cena.

Characters shouldn't follow any template, they should evolve by themselves. If Bryan were to turn face, and stop being obnoxious and turn into some goodie goodie idiot, he'd lose all the "heat" he currently has, he might get kids to buy his shirts instead of grown up men, but it would be the same situation than with Orton, it would destroy his character.

Bryan doesn't goes after the crowd, his heel persona is centered on the ring, he just lets the people join in with his #Yes. When was the last time that he came out to say that he was better than the "current location" his vegan role model stuff sucked, I'm sure he was made to say that, since it was a blatant SES copy.
Whatever your opinion of face/heel is, Bryan should be trying to avoid Cena at all costs, lol.

Khrno

Whatever your opinion of face/heel is, Bryan should be trying to avoid Cena at all costs, lol.

I don't agree with that, Cena is the all end-to-be in WWE, Bryan needs Cena, if that breaks him then Bryan just never deserved to get to the top anyway.

Also, anyone else would have been sent to jobber hell after the 18s. Bryan went the opposite direction. So I'm either being swerved badly by Vince's master plan, or Bryan is just the real deal.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't agree with that, Cena is the all end-to-be in WWE, Bryan needs Cena, if that breaks him then Bryan just never deserved to get to the top anyway.

Also, anyone else would have been sent to jobber hell after the 18s. Bryan went the opposite direction. So I'm either being swerved badly by Vince's master plan, or Bryan is just the real deal.
It may not kill Bryan, but it would just be a terrible feud after having a good one like this. It would just be Cena smiling at Bryan, making fun of him, and calling AJ a ho. Yeah, I know Punk has been sort of similar, but at least Kane is there to add an interesting dynamic to it.

Kccitystar

I don't know about Kane winning the WWE title (he doesn't need it), but I would MUCH RATHER it be Kane who drops the title to Cena, as Kane is retiring soon and he can't be buried. I seriously think, though, that Bryan could get Miz'd going up against Cena.

I agree, though, a crazy heel Kane/AJ couple would be the best outcome.

I really hate to piss off Kane-GAF but when has a Kane love interest ever turned out to be a good thing? Most of the feuds that play out after the Kane Cycle turn out to be absolute shit. Case in point:

Kane and Tori = feud with X-Pac
Kane and Lita = feud with Snitsky

WWE Creative should get the point, the devil's favorite demon, while he's a charmer to the ladies, should be resistant to any and all charms.

I really hate to piss off Kane-GAF but when has a Kane love interest ever turned out to be a good thing? Most of the feuds that play out afterward turn out to be absolute shit. Case in point:

Kane and Tori = feud with X-Pac
Kane and Lita = feud with Snitsky

No one should hate to piss off Kane GAF. The only way to justify Kane's actions over the past while is to accept that he's just gone full retard.

Top Bottom