• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

RBH

--There has been talk of John Laurinaitis joining Vince McMahon’s Kiss My Ass Club. With Vince returning on next week’s 3-hour RAW from Hartford, Connecticut to do a job performance evaluation on Laurinaitis, this could be Vince’s chance to induct him.
--Florida Championship Wrestling is holding a tryout camp this week in Tampa, with Jim Ross, Shawn Michaels, Dusty Rhodes and Perry Saturn among the legends evaluating talent. 23 athletes are at the invite-only camp, including a number of amateur wrestlers recruited by Gerald Brisco. With William Regal wrestling Dean Ambrose at the final FCW taping later this week, Jim Ross and Dusty Rhodes will be handling commentary for the show.
--Speaking of Dean Ambrose, his online feud with Mick Foley has died down once again. According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, there are influential people in WWE that are against continuing the angle and using Mick Foley to introduce Ambrose to the main roster.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Entropia for CEO, COO, GM, Chairman, and whatever else position exists. Sometimes more is less.

I can say fairly confidently I could attract a larger number of viewers and revenue for RAW/Smackdown and PPVs.

First off, do the PPV and belt thing I listed above. Belts are now tiered and make sense as to who the draws are. PPV buyrates would increase via the below.

Secondly - offer the web PPVs at a more competitive rate. $50, FUCK NO. $20-25? Yes. I guarantee the increased buys would generate more revenue than the cannibalization of lowering the price.

Third - Raw and Smackdown offered as a stream on the WWE site. Let USA/SyFy show all their normal advertising and offer them on-site advertising banners on the streams at a reduced or non-existant rate as compensation for them potentially losing television viewers. Show of hands how many people watch a stream/lamp vs. actually on TV? This would increase viewers and make the WWE look a lot better. The WWE would be able to have harder stats on segments and timelines of the show.

Fourth - Proper booking, longer consistent storylines. I'm not expecting callbacks like you would get out of Arrested Development, but storylines that make sense across the entire roster. Too much focus is put on John Cena with minimal efforts put on the rest of the roster. Have a dedicated writing staff of 3-5 guys for those midcard guys, a team of 1-2 overseeing the entire show, and then 3-5 for main event guys. There would definitely be some cross-communication between the teams to allow for transitions and feuds as someone moves up/moves down.

Fifth - Bring back some attitude. I don't mean calling everyone SOBs, having people go through a table every week, or bleeding all over the place... but the WWE audience has ages where an edgier product makes sense. A great storied wrestling match is awesome, but the WWE focuses too much on the kids who just want to pop for Cena, Kofi or Santino. Give the adults something that makes them want to watch, for the most part we know exactly how things are going to go based on who is out there. Surprise us! Shock us!

The WWE has some great potential with the third hour of RAW, and we all know how they're going to flounder it. What we want? An hour that focuses on matches, rising up and coming stars and further feud/plot development. What we'll get? Ryback and Funkasaurus squash matches, Cena promos and B A * moments.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think AJ is great, but why didn't Punk vs. Bryan draw then? She was involved. It lost viewers, man!

People were expecting Kane maybe, they were not yet trained to expect the appearance of AJ. They are wiser now, they understand!

I think AJ is great, but why didn't Punk vs. Bryan draw then? She was involved. It lost viewers, man!

When you talk about ratings in a vacuum then you can come up with any conclusion you damn well please, so stop pretending to be in the know.
BBQ sauce 4 WWE Champ as it gained the most viewers this week.

That Vince McMahon/Laurinitis tidbit is wrong. In the Observer they said there were plans last year to have Laurinitis go into the kiss my ass club when Vince was planning on coming back to tv not too long after. This story makes it sound like that is the recent plan. Also, there is no chance Vince McMahon does the kiss my ass club in an election year for his wife.

Entropia

No One Remembers
That Vince McMahon/Laurinitis tidbit is wrong. In the Observer they said there were plans last year to have Laurinitis go into the kiss my ass club when Vince was planning on coming back to tv not too long after. This story makes it sound like that is the recent plan. Also, there is no chance Vince McMahon does the kiss my ass club in an election year for his wife.

https://twitter.com/SenatorLinda/status/210738043471147008

RBH

Ah, that makes more sense.

Is the Ambrose tidbit in the Observer?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
When you talk about ratings in a vacuum then you can come up with any conclusion you damn well please, so stop pretending to be in the know.
BBQ sauce 4 WWE Champ as it gained the most viewers this week.
In the know? What are you talking about? Ratings data was released. Last week, Punk vs. Bryan lost viewers. This week, Kane vs. Punk, during the same time slot, gained viewers. I'm not trying to be funny here, but Punk and Bryan just have not drawn in viewers, for some reason. Hell, Punk has been a ratings killer for a while now, hence all the "my ratings" jokes we've been making.

People were expecting Kane maybe, they were not yet trained to expect the appearance of AJ. They are wiser now, they understand!
Let's hope so, buddy.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Is the Ambrose tidbit in the Observer?

This is the Ambrose tidbit

"Nothing has been done over the Ambrose vs. Foley introductory angle of late and there are forces now against it that are right at the top."

Also, there is nothing in there about Perry Saturn being at those tryouts next week for FCW. He was down there coaching this past week, but Dave doesn't know if he was offered a job.

krae_man

Did Batista ever get ratings?

Did Bobby Lashley ever get ratings?

I know what got ratings:
y8jLI.jpg

RBH

This is the Ambrose tidbit

"Nothing has been done over the Ambrose vs. Foley introductory angle of late and there are forces now against it that are right at the top."
Sucks. Why even start all of the viral stuff on twitter, etc. if you're not going to ultimately follow through with the angle...

Sucks. Why even start all of the viral stuff on twitter, etc. if you're not going to ultimately follow through with the angle...

Just another dropped WWE angle. Are you really surprised? Other recent examples are the AW stable, the anonymous gm, Tarver watching people backstage, and basically everything that happens in their corporate storyline. Just look at this from the Observer:

"Otunga told Laurinaitis that Vince was coming next week to give Laurinaitis a job evaluation. I guess we’re supposed to forget that the Board and HHH and the family all removed Vince from power last year. Of course, nothing to do with who is in power makes sense. Vince was removed by the board. HHH was removed by the board after the talent revolt. Then Laurinaitis screwed everyone and no talent revolt. Then it comes out HHH was still in power and has to approve all contracts before they are valid in the Lesnar deal. Then Laurinaitis secretly hires Show but since the contract, giving him a raise, a big bonus and days off, is apparently all approved by HHH since nothing happened. And now Vince is the guy in charge."

Tonight Impact is live again! You never know what can happen on a live show. Here is the preview:

"- Thursday's LIVE broadcast will feature a huge six-man main event, just days before Slammiversary: World Heavyweight Bobby Roode, Daniels and Kazarian vs. Sting, AJ Styles and Kurt Angle

- More on the controversy involving AJ Styles and TNA President Dixie Carter

- Four-way #1 Contender Knockouts Match to determine who will face Knockouts Champion Gail Kim at Slammiversary.

- A contract signing between Bully Ray and Joseph Park for their match at Slammiversary "

Main event match, Dixie Carter/AJ stuff, and Bully Ray/Joseph Park contract signing should all be entertaining. Karen Jarrett has also been trying to start shit with Dixie on twitter so she and Jeff might appear tonight or at the ppv.

RBH

Wrestling Observer Newsletter - April 10th, 1995

--It appears the Four Horsemen idea is dead. Last week Flair and Hogan had a meeting. Flair proposed a foursome of himself, Curt Hennig and the Road Warriors. Hogan proposed a foursome of himself, Flair, Randy Savage and Sting. Anyway, after all the proposals, the idea is dead again with the June PPV looking now to be something like Flair vs. Savage on top with them trying to get Elizabeth involved although that is not a done deal by any means, Road Warriors vs. Harlem Heat and Steiners vs. Nasty Boys.

--At Wrestlemania, according to those live there were "Refund" chants and "ECW" and "Hogan sux" chants during the show.

--Jim Cornette and The Gangstas are taping a segment of Jerry Springer on 4/10.

--Richie Blood, the seven-year-old son of Rick Steamboat captured the North Carolina state amateur wrestling championship in both the 7-8 age group and the 60-pound class and will represent North Carolina at the AAU nationals on 4/22 in Ohio.

--Latest word on WCW television and PPV policy. No more foreign objects can be shown being used on television from this point forward except movie stunt chairs. The reason the Hogan chair shots aired on PPV while the Vader ones didn't wasn't because nobody is allowed to hit Hogan with a chair but because the only chair shots that can be shown are those with gimmicked fake chairs. Vader used a real one and that's why they pulled away. Hey, I don't make up WCW policy, I just report it.

Tonight is the final set of FCW tapings headlines by Dean Ambrose vs William Regal. Should be an incredible match. Usually they tape 3-4 shows at once though so it probably won't be available online for awhile.

In the know? What are you talking about? Ratings data was released. Last week, Punk vs. Bryan lost viewers. This week, Kane vs. Punk, during the same time slot, gained viewers. I'm not trying to be funny here, but Punk and Bryan just have not drawn in viewers, for some reason. Hell, Punk has been a ratings killer for a while now, hence all the "my ratings" jokes we've been making.

Sorry, that comment wasn't pointed at you and the "my ratings" joke is fine, though repeating it ad nauseum multiple times per page really kills it. It's just that ratings discussions are so absurdly stupid and we really didn't need to go into a third day of terrible speculation based on half baked "insight".

The thing is, even industry experts can't always predict what ratings mean for a normal television show and WWE programming is created and altered on the whims of a mad god, so endless pontificating based on a good or bad rating is beyond pointless, especially given that no one hear has a complete idea of what those numbers mean.

Aiii

So not worth it
WWE is going all-out for the upcoming 1,000th RAW celebration on July 23rd and plans to treat the show as a PPV-caliber event.

WWE has reached out to dozens of legends to appear at the show, including the usual suspects (Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes, Sgt. Slaughter, Jim Duggan, Gene Okerlund, Jimmy Hart) as well as many top names from the Attitude Era. WWE is even considering bringing in Bobby Heenan, but his health situation might prevent him from appearing.

There has been talk of incorporating several vintage production techniques to the show, similar to what we saw on the special “Old School” RAW back in 2010.

The plan is to announce several big matches for the 1,000th RAW and promote the show hard in the weeks leading up to it.

WWE has reached out to the Undertaker and wants to promote his television return several weeks in advance as well.

Like they even remotely remember how to do that. :lol:

They can't even announce their PPV matches more then two week before the show.

krae_man

I really hope Dolph gets his Iron Man Match. It will probably only be 30 minutes like the one Angle and HBK had but I'll still take it.

Striker

Wasn't there a report about how they are trying more to get better TV ratings each week, rather than using those shows to boost or prep for an upcoming PPV? At least it makes sense given the total lack of sense in their PPV's; even with that said, they've had bad PPV's for far too long for this excuse to carry any weight.

I might tune in on the 1,000th episode if they can get a decent amount of older guys to show up. That's the only way, though.

More roster members announced for Shine, the Florida based iPPV sister-promotion of SHIMMER - as well as the previously announced Sara Del Rey, Reby Sky & Santana Garrett, Shine will feature Leva Bates, Jazz, Christina Von Eerie, Su Yung, Rain & Veda Scott.

Also, in CHIKARA news, on the Jun 24th Syracuse show, it will be the awaited confrontation between Jigsaw and, representing GEKIDO, The Shard - plus, it looks like Eddie Kingston will defend the CHIKARA Grand Championship against Dasher Hatfield of the Throwbacks.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Sorry, that comment wasn't pointed at you and the "my ratings" joke is fine, though repeating it ad nauseum multiple times per page really kills it. It's just that ratings discussions are so absurdly stupid and we really didn't need to go into a third day of terrible speculation based on half baked "insight".

The thing is, even industry experts can't always predict what ratings mean for a normal television show and WWE programming is created and altered on the whims of a mad god, so endless pontificating based on a good or bad rating is beyond pointless, especially given that no one hear has a complete idea of what those numbers mean.
All I'm saying is. . . . . . Kane is a draw.

Cena-HBK was ratings death?

Trying to find the history/date/ratings of this match and apparently it never took place. Iron man matches have a long history of people tuning out during the match and then tuning in again close to the finish and that is with top guys. Ziggler is nowhere near that level. People would tune out in droves.

Trying to find the history/date/ratings of this match and apparently it never took place. Iron man matches have a long history of people tuning out during the match and then tuning in again close to the finish and that is with top guys. Ziggler is nowhere near that level. People would tune out in droves.

It did take place, it wasn't an ironman match but it did go nearly an hour in length on 4/23/07*

*Tape delayed as it was shot in the UK

EDIT: I should also note that it was one of the best matches/segments Raw has ever put on, but I'm not going to look up the ratings

Kaladin

CHIKARA’s longest-standing tradition returns – the Young Lions Cup Tournament commences at "The Foggiest Notion" on Saturday, June 23rd and "Smack in the Middle" on Sunday, June 24th! Previous tournaments launched the careers of your favorite CHIKARA stars such as the late, great Larry Sweeney, Fire Ant, Jigsaw, Chuck Taylor, Hallowicked, Tim Donst and more. The rookies involved have an extraordinary opportunity to make a name for themselves both nights in Strathroy, ONT and Syracuse, NY. These matches will be contested in 4-way eliminators where only one will advance. This summer, we’re going to find out who is the future of CHIKARA! Visit www.CHIKARAPro.com for tickets, bios, photos, merchandise and more!

252645_10150916720791262_775991979_n.jpg

We will be watching these sometime during July whenever they're released.

It did take place, it wasn't an ironman match but it did go nearly an hour in length on 4/23/07*

*Tape delayed as it was shot in the UK

EDIT: I should also note that it was one of the best matches/segments Raw has ever put on, but I'm not going to look up the ratings

Ok, found it. It went 40 minutes and wasn't listed as an iron man match. It happened on 4/23/07 and was a rematch of the wrestlemania match? Can't find quarter hour breakdown of ratings, but it did a 3.7, the same as the week before and the week after did a 3.6. Again these were 2 of the very top guys at the time in a Wrestlemania rematch a few weeks after Mania. Put Dolph Ziggler out there in a 60 min match and ratings would tank.

We will be watching these sometime during July whenever they're released.

Looking forward to it - the YLC qualifiers generally aren't the best wrestling events of CHIKARA's season, but CHIKARA usually have such a great eye for picking out talented youngsters, they're well worth watching just for an introduction to these guys. The only one I'm familiar with so far is Tripp Cassidy, who I've seen quite a bit in Insanity Pro and Heartland Wrestling and who has the makings of a good heel and carries himself well for a guy who has only been in the business for two years.

Incidentally, the Anniversario shows are available on DVD & VOD (although not .mp4 for some reason) - we going to do a WrassleGAF viewing?

Kaladin

Looking forward to it - the YLC qualifiers generally aren't the best wrestling events of CHIKARA's season, but CHIKARA usually have such a great eye for picking out talented youngsters, they're well worth watching just for an introduction to these guys. The only one I'm familiar with so far is Tripp Cassidy, who I've seen quite a bit in Insanity Pro and Heartland Wrestling and who has the makings of a good heel and carries himself well for a guy who has only been in the business for two years.

Incidentally, the Anniversario shows are available on DVD & VOD (although not .mp4 for some reason) - we going to do a WrassleGAF viewing?

We might, I dunno, it would be weird going back from the iPPV.

Impact quarter hour ratings for last week. Looks like the earlier time slot did hurt the show and being live meant nothing. They drew their average hour 1 ratings in hour 2 here.

Q1: 0.72 rating - Opening with the announcers and match introductions, Bobby Roode vs. Sting in a Lumberjack match

Q2: 0.85 rating - Roode vs. Sting continued, Hulk Hogan out to announce Slammiversary main event, Madison Rayne backstage, Bully Ray and Joseph Park in-ring verbal exchange

Q3: 0.81 rating - Ray and Park continuation, Crimson video, Chris Sabin introduction, Austin Aries accidentally sprays Samoa Joe backstage, Aries vs. Sabin

Q4: 0.75 rating - Aries celebrates win, Hulk Hogan talks with Taz about adding him to the Gut Check panel, Bruce Prichard, Al Snow, and Taz talk backstage about Gut Check, Jeremy Borash backstage with potential TV Title contenders

Q5: 0.97 rating - Dixie Carter in-ring announcement regarding TNA Hall of Fame, Dixie introduces Brooke Hogan, Daniels and Karazian talk backstage, Devon enters, Borash reveals Jeff Hardy as the winner of the fan voting

Q6: 0.99 rating - Devon vs. Jeff Hardy with Robbie E and Robbie T interference, James Storm on the farm video, A.J. Styles, Kurt Angle, Daniels, and Kazarian video recap

Q7: 1.03 rating - In-ring Gut Check segment with Borash, Prichard, Snow, Taz, and Joey Ryan, main event introductions

Q8: 1.01 rating - A.J. Styles vs. Christopher Daniels, Kazarian interferes in the main event, Angle attempts to make the save, Daniels and Kazarian play the latest Styles and Dixie video, Dixie out to shut down the show

Top Bottom