• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic Park 4 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Saw this posted on the RT forums:
Jurassic Park 4 Spy Report

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

An anonymous source checked in with the following info:

I thought I'd just give you a quick update on the fourth installment of 'Jurassic Park'.

First of all, for the fans worrying about it not making it for Summer 2005 - it won't. The plan now by the big execs is to release the film Winter 2005 or Spring 2005. Between December-April. The script is being rewritten by John Sayles, but is based on an earlier draft by a man called William Monahan.

I can't tell you much about the plot, in fact, I really can't tell you anything. You will be glad to hear a majority of the animals will be marine reptiles.

Sam Neill is not returning for this movie, but Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough are. The rumours that scenes have already been filmed are false. There is not even a director signed to the project yet. However, I hear one may be a man by the name of Alex Proyas. I think he made the Crow several years ago. He's still in discussion.

For some people the following news is very bad - the Spinosaurus is back! I know a lot of people weren't fond of her, but she'll be badder in this version. The raptors are also back, apparently.

Last thing - the Pinewood filming is true except that it is March 2005, not January. James Bond has booked most of the studios so it won't be able to film until then. They also need time to build a massive tank for the aquarium scenes.

If true, this will be worth it for the underwater parts alone. Prehistoric sharks and Nessie :D

JP3 was a great popcorn flick marred by a terrible ending, hopefully this will fare better.

neptunes

Jurassic Park 3 was total crap!

but this is my first time ever hearing of a fourth installment.

Marine reptiles!!!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Marine Reptiles?

As much as I love Plesiosaur and Ichtyosauras (sp? on both) all I could think about was Deep Blue Sea :(

edit: yes I am aware icthy is a fish and not technically a marine reptile.
It still, to this day, pisses me off that the Trex swimming episode never made it into the first movie.

We had a big debate about the Jurassic Park films back on one of the old boards (EZboard I believe?).

Basically I was one of those who were pissed that the Jurassic Park series turned into utter garbage. The first film was smart, suspenseful, and intelligent with excellent visual effects. Lost World still had excellent visual effects and was good and suspenseful until the last 20 minutes when it got silly. The 3rd Jurassic Park was just silly throughout. The plot was awful. The pacing was horrible and the suspense was laughable. Nothing made sense. Even the CG looked sloppy in certain areas.

The original film was a classic, now the series after the last film is barely a notch above Anaconda. Also, I think the last film was only like 80 minutes. Why not just make an Imax film instead...

Unless Jurassic Park 4 gets much better reviews, I'll probably just wait until it shows up on my digital cable movie channels.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jurassic Park 3 was worth it alone just for the Birdcage sequence. Incredibly well done.

1) The raptors need to kill the Spinosaurus in the first 5 minutes.

2) The underwater dinos are going to freak me the fuck out. WOO

Better not be stupid like JP3

Suerte

Some more from darkhorizons:

Meanwhile the latest issue of Cinemania magazine reports that according to "our reliable source at Universal reveals progress has somewhat slowed on the anticipated sequel Jurassic Park IV due to ongoing script revisions. Because of this tinkering it appears Keira Knightley's potential character was written out late last year, but producers are now courting The Day After Tomorrow cutie Emmy Rossum and Runaway Jury's Jeremy Piven for two of the lead roles.

We've also learned that, although nothing has been signed on the dotted line yet, Steven Spielberg and Lord Richard Attenborough (from JP1) have made a "gentlemen's agreement" to bring the John Hammond character back to the fold. Isn't he getting a bit old to run from dinos? As usual, if we know more, you'll be the first to know".

Akira

scola said:
Marine Reptiles?

As much as I love Plesiosaur and Ichtyosauras (sp? on both) all I could think about was Deep Blue Sea :(

edit: yes I am aware icthy is a fish and not technically a marine reptile.
It still, to this day, pisses me off that the Trex swimming episode never made it into the first movie.

Actually Ichthyosaurus is a dinosaur, not a fish.

JP3 was a disappointment! Not too bad, but it was short. Also, the T-Rex lost. :mad:

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
The raptors will probably be speaking upper-class British English and sipping tea by the end of this film.

Dead

well not really...yet
fenekku-gitsune said:
The raptors will probably be speaking upper-class British English and sipping tea by the end of this film.
MOTY

Meier: hmm im not familiar with any of his stuff, but hopefully hell pen something a bit more decent than the Election/about Shmidt guys

Memles

eXxy said:
i liked JP3 more than JP2, personally, but i also haven't seen JP2 in a long, long time

I have, and still agree. Lost World is too hokey while trying to still be as great as JP; Gymnastics Child attacking Raptors should have been cut EARLY! It didn't work as a cohesive film, despite some great moments (Everything in San Fransisco was pure drivel, and focused too much on the whole "OMG, T-Rex in San FRAN! COOL!" aspect. )

JP3 was a popcorn flick, and knew it was. It didn't try to have a deep plot, surprise us with new tricks; it was very simply meant to be a simple, suspenseful action film. It worked, for me. The Bird Cage sequence, one of the best in the original novel, was very well done, and the Spinosaurus was in the end relatively uninteresting, but it provided enough of a constant threat that it kept the film moving. Was it amazing? Not at all. But it was better at what it wanted to be than Lost World was. Simple as that.

Meier

DeadStar said:
Meier: hmm im not familiar with any of his stuff, but hopefully hell pen something a bit more decent than the Election/about Shmidt guys

Whoa.. I never watched JP3 since I always heard how shitty it was but I had no clue Alexander Payne was involved with it. How the hell could it have been so bad, wtf?!

Dead

well not really...yet
Meier said:
Whoa.. I never watched JP3 since I always heard how shitty it was but I had no clue Alexander Payne was involved with it. How the hell could it have been so bad, wtf?!
Yeah Alexander Payne and Jim Talyor are credited, along with some other dude. It was basically rewrote to hell and back and even during filming the script was never complete. Anyways the movie turned out ok, like I said, perfect example of a self aware popcorn flick. Dont expect much and youll come out pleasently surprised. Its worth seeing for the birdcage sequence alone

Pattergen

DeadStar said:
what has he worked on?

Well, he had some sort of hand in Pirhana. Should nail those underwater scenes!
magwink.gif

Anyways, my take.

Jurassic Park was based on a very good book and had a lot of talent associated.

JP2 was based somewhat loosely on a very mediocre book with a bit of talent associated.

JP3 was crap based on crap with crap associated.

No reason to think this one is going to be any better.

eXxy said:
i liked JP3 more than JP2, personally, but i also haven't seen JP2 in a long, long time

Agreed. JP2 wasn't a bad movie but it was disappointing. JP3 was a popcorn flick but at least it was more entertaining than JP2.

People can bitch and moan about how "dumb" JP3 is but it doesn't get any dumber than gym-kata. T-Rex on the mainland could have rocked but somehow it was underwelming. "Daddy, there's a dinosaur in the back yard". Bleh...

Also, they need to sign Sam Neil. I demand a Sam Neil and Jeff Goldblum reunion.

Dead

well not really...yet
The only thing I didnt like in JP2 was GOldblums daughter, not just her Gymnastics thing, but her entire role, bleh, the kids in JP and or kid in JP3 were much better.

The Lost World had an amazing score though, maybe better than JP1s....

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Akira said:
Actually Ichthyosaurus is a dinosaur, not a fish.

JP3 was a disappointment! Not too bad, but it was short. Also, the T-Rex lost. :mad:
Upon further looking apparently, according to the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles, the Ichthyosaurus is a marine reptile, but is not a dinosaur.

I thought it was the other way around.

Memles

Pattergen said:
JP2 was based somewhat loosely on a very mediocre book with a bit of talent associated.

In doing a book report on Jurassic Park (Comparing it to the movie) I got inspired and read The Lost World as well. REALLY wish they had of just adapted it directly, honestly, if only because it seemed a bit more coherent. I enjoyed it, but the original is a crisp, brilliant little novel. Really enjoyed it, and liked how many of its best scenes, left out of the first, did make their way in elsewhere.

Dead

well not really...yet
neptunes said:
There were children in jurassic park 3??

have you even seen jp3?
um yeah, the kid....the whole reason they go to the island in the first place...

have YOU seen it? :p

neptunes

DeadStar said:
um yeah, the kid....the whole reason they go to the island in the first place...

have YOU seen it? :p

They trick Dr. Alan Grant into giving them a fly-by tour of the Island and end up crashing.

There were no "kids" involved.

ManaByte

Gold Member
neptunes said:
Jurassic Park 3 was total crap!

but this is my first time ever hearing of a fourth installment.

Marine reptiles!!!

JP3 was 90 tight minutes of Dinosaurs chasing, and EATING, people without the 45 minutes of Spielberg morality debate that bogged down The Lost World. Thus, it's a bunch of stupid fun :)

ManaByte

Gold Member
neptunes said:
They trick Dr. Alan Grant into giving them a fly-by tour of the Island and end up crashing.

Uh... you didn't see Jurassic Park 3 then. The whole reason they trick Grant into the fly-by is because their son wen't on a parasail tour of the island and was stranded on it alone. It was only shown in the first fucking scene of the movie! :D

I also really like how they are fitting more and more scenes from the first JP book that didn't make it into the first movie into the sequels.

The Lost World had the scene with the little girl getting mauled.

Jurassic Park 3 had the aviary.

Maybe Jurassic Park 4 will have the rapids scene :D

Dead

well not really...yet
neptunes said:

:|

You must have really really bad memory

neptunes

Oh yeah the parasail retard!

It's been too long since I've seen it.
I only saw it in theaters and never bothered to look back.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I thought JP2 was OK. Definitely rushed at the end. But the Spinosaurus was very cool, really vicious, and I thought the cell phone gag was cute. The only bad part besides the ending was Tea Leone being so annoying, IMO. Otherwise it was a decent little dino movie.

ManaByte

Gold Member
SteveMeister said:
I thought JP2 was OK. Definitely rushed at the end. But the Spinosaurus was very cool, really vicious, and I thought the cell phone gag was cute. The only bad part besides the ending was Tea Leone being so annoying, IMO. Otherwise it was a decent little dino movie.

I like them in this order: 1, 3, 2.

The Lost World could've been cut in half and been pretty good. It's not entirely the movie's fault as the book it was based on was written as a sequel to JP1 THE MOVIE as opposed to JP1 THE BOOK and in itself wasn't very good.

Sagitario

Damn! I really hope it turns out good!

The 1st JP is one of my favorite movies & I really liked JP2 (JP3 not so much... it was MEH!).

JP1 > 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3

3 was just plain stupid. Hated Tea' Leoni. She wrecked this movie for me (although she's not the only reason... maybe about 80% or so)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
ManaByte said:
I like them in this order: 1, 3, 2.

The Lost World could've been cut in half and been pretty good. It's not entirely the movie's fault as the book it was based on was written as a sequel to JP1 THE MOVIE as opposed to JP1 THE BOOK and in itself wasn't very good.

I agree with you on the order of the films, but I'd say the Lost World novel was a decent read. Yeah, bringing Ian back was an obvious nod to the film, but at least Crichton didn't pull a black gymnast daughter out of his ass. Had that book been faithfully adapted, it would have been a fine sequel.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Goreomedy said:
I agree with you on the order of the films, but I'd say the Lost World novel was a decent read. Yeah, bringing Ian back was an obvious nod to the film, but at least Crichton didn't pull a black gymnast daughter out of his ass. Had that book been faithfully adapted, it would have been a fine sequel.

Actually I didn't like the Lost World novel, for this reason -- it followed on the MOVIE, not the original book. I understand WHY it was written that way, but I didn't like Chrichton's basically ignoring large chunks of the Jurassic Park novel like that. Oh well.

Wtf is wrong with you guys? JP3 was MUCH better then that corn fest JP2. As a matter of fact 3 should have been 2!

JP2 was SSOooooo Lame. Especially if you read the book. They butchered it in the worst way. One of the worst translations ever. Its like they made up most of it..

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
SteveMeister said:
Actually I didn't like the Lost World novel, for this reason -- it followed on the MOVIE, not the original book. I understand WHY it was written that way, but I didn't like Chrichton's basically ignoring large chunks of the Jurassic Park novel like that. Oh well.

Which large chunks did he ignore?

Besides bringing Malcolm back, who was very much dead at the end of the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom