• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
LOL, WTF?

All these dinosaurs are female, which incidentally puts Jurassic World in the clear as far as the Bechdel test is concerned.
Full Review | Original Score: 4/5

Peter Bradshaw, Guardian

Kinda bummed that all our original concerns with the characters/actors (Pratt is awkward with his dialogue/doesn't seem to have his charisma, BDH's character is a thin stereotype and she gives a stilted performance, etc.) seem to be coming true.

I actually liked Chris Pratt in this. Admittedly, I'm a big Pratt fan, so I don't know if I liked his character or him. But I thought he was pretty fun to watch. Loved watching him train his raptors.

Regarding the story being a mess, I kind of agree. One part that bothered me was
when the kids fixed up the Jeep. It was never established that either of them had experience fixing cars. *finds broken Jeep* "Remember when we fixed up grandpa's old car?" Just came out of nowhere and felt way too convenient.

The thing with chris pratt in jurassic world is he just too much heroic, too calm, theres no suspense felt when his around. Actually he seems promising in first part of the story, but not after the crisis breakout. I like him in GotG, but not in JW.

Peter Travers loved it

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/jurassic-world-20150610

It's not the cynical, cash-in cheesefest you feared. OK, Jurassic World is a little of that. But this state-of-the-art dino epic is also more than a blast of rumbling, roaring, "did you effing see that!" fun. It's got a wicked streak of subversive attitude that goes by the name of Colin Trevorrow.

And we care because there's a humanity in the characters, even Lowery (Jake Jonson), a park techie who collects toy dinos and wears a tee from the original Jurassic Park that he bought on eBay. Lowery is a realist who sees things with childlike wonder. So does Trevorrow, who recaptures the thrilling spirit of the Spielberg original (name-check, T. rex) with fresh provocation: Is bigger always better, or is it an empty, soulless thing ready to bite us on the ass?

The thing with chris pratt in jurassic world is he just too much heroic, too calm, theres no suspense felt when his around. Actually he seems promising in first part of the story, but not after the crisis breakout. I like him in GotG, but not in JW.

I can see that, for sure. I guess I didn't mind that. But yeah, the first part of the movie had some tense moments with him.

What's the difference in how they aggregate scores?

RT meter is based on positive/negative aka fresh or rotten

I believe anything above a 6/10 is "fresh" so if everyone gave a movie 6/10 it would be at 100%

Metacritic only uses score numbers for its metric, so the same example I used above would be 100 on RT but 60 on metacritic

Blader

Metacritic scores are the average of each review's score. RT does this too but it's in smaller font so nobody looks at it. The main percentage people look at on RT -- which determines whether it's fresh or rotten -- is just aggregating whether a review was positive or negative. So you could have 10 people give it a 7/10, which would be a metacritic score of 70% but an RT score of 100% because all 10 people gave it a positive review.

Manu

Metacritic uses a numeric scale. Rotten Tomatoes' % measures the percentage of critics who liked the movie, regardless of the score they gave it.

EDIT: RT currently at 70%

Rotten Tomatoes just counts the ratio of positive versus negative reviews. Metacritic averages review scores. So if everybody gave it a 7/10, Rotten Tomatoes would report 100% while Metacritic would show a 70.

RT up to 70

cbhaRlKl.jpg

jtb

Banned
Also, doesn't Metacritic sometimes impose numerical scores on reviews that don't give one (ie. NYTimes)? I fucking hate that so much.

Also, doesn't Metacritic sometimes impose numerical scores on reviews that don't give one (ie. NYTimes)? I fucking hate that so much.

Yep. And I know for games they weight scores from certain sites more than others, I don't know if they do that for films

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Up to 70% now, hype slowly rising...

I don't like MC's rating system for movies. RT's positive/negative method is more effective IMO

Altazor

Just saw it. It was fun, the best JP sequel (which, honestly, doesn't say much) but the original is still unmatched.

It's kind of a weird, uneven mix between some awe-inspiring moments reminiscent of JP and some generic action fodder with redshirts that recalls the other sequels. Giacchino's music, on the other hand, was fucking great.

sirap

Nice. Care to elaborate? Sorry I'm thirsty for opinions

Its hard to put into words. The best way I can describe the movie is that it finally feels like a proper Jurassic Park sequel. Even if you've never seen JP, I feel like they really nailed that first oh shit experience you got when you watched the first one. Honestly, i was legit sad that we don't have an actual Dinasour themepark to go to.

Movie had some pretty good beats too, one scene almost made me tear up.

Its hard to put into words. The best way I can describe the movie is that it finally feels like a proper Jurassic Park sequel. Even if you've never seen JP, I feel like they really nailed that first oh shit experience you got when you watched the first one. Honestly, i was legit sad that we don't have an actual Dinasour themepark to go too.

Movie had some pretty good beats too, one scene almost made me tear up.

That's good to hear. The amount of work and detail on their website was very impressive and sold me on the park as a real thing

Glad that also seems to have translated to screen

superfly

Just back from IMAX screening of this. Was expecting god awfulness but was pleasantly surprised at how good a popcorn flick this was. Some massive holes in the story, but this is a perfectly watchable and sometimes very entertaining movie. Best blockbuster of the summer so far...

BobLoblaw

Banned
Where's all the people saying this movie would be a total bomb? It's RT fresh and tracking for a 100 million + opening weekend
I don't recall anyone saying it would bomb, but a lot of people (including myself) said the movie probably isn't very good. It's a JP movie, of course it's gonna make 100 million in the opening weekend.

Just back from IMAX screening of this. Was expecting god awfulness but was pleasantly surprised at how good a popcorn flick this was. Some massive holes in the story, but this is a perfectly watchable and sometimes very entertaining movie. Best blockbuster of the summer so far...
It's pretty easy to tell people who have seen Mad Max with those who haven't. :p

I don't recall anyone saying it would bomb, but a lot of people (including myself) said the movie probably isn't very good. It's a JP movie, of course it's gonna make 100 million in the opening weekend.

Yeah maybe bomb is the wrong word, I don't think many doubted it's box office pull.

But based on reactions to trailers there were a lot who thought this would be a trainwreck of a movie

Where's all the people saying this movie would be a total bomb? It's RT fresh and tracking for a 100 million + opening weekend

I don't think the RT is going to be high enough to warrant a crow-eating thread but it's sooooo tempting. GAF dropped a dumptruck of dino shit on this movie a long time ago.

It's pretty easy to tell people who have seen Mad Max with those who haven't. :p

Haha, I wish Mad Max was released at the end of the year so I could at least believe I enjoyed these other action movies more :p Mad Max made me cancel plans to see Age of Ultron a second time.

xam3l

Just got out. If you guys like the first JP with all your heart... you will enjoy this one very much. I had a couple of geekgasms. Its not perfect but damn, what a ride!

Need to go watch it again.

sirap

That's good to hear. The amount of work and detail on their website was very impressive and sold me on the park as a real thing

Glad that also seems to have translated to screen

Yeah, imo this is a great starting point for the newer generation. If they're serious about starting a new trilogy, they've got the proper foundation for it.

Also, did anyone catch that Goldblum easter egg? :p

I knew someone would write this haha and it is true I haven't seen it as I live in China, but is Mad Max classed as blockbuster?

In terms of spectacle, yes, but typically the term blockbuster refers to massive commercial success, and Mad Max has done decent but not big enough numbers to earn that title.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Last night I rewatched TLW. While it has a couple good scenes, the characters besides Malcom are forgettable and the movie has 2 climaxes, feeling like it keeps going and won't end. I'm surprised some critics still prefer it.

I woke up from a frightening dream last night of me and some others chased in a mall by Indominus,
who didn't just have camo, but a freakin invisabity cloak!
You never knew where it would be!

Dino filled night and glad to see reviews rising. My 75% prefiction is fairly accurate, it seems!

EDIT: my bad, didn't realize it was still a spoilery thing.

xam3l

For those how have seen the movie
which track from the soundtrack is played when Rexie is released? Loved the trowback tune at that moment. I wished they had played the JP heroic theme song at that moment

sirap

Fuck it, I'm going to build my own Jurassic Park
for VR

UE 4.8 is out, I've got the money. Let's do this.

Last night I rewatched TLW. While it has a couple good scenes, the characters besides Malcom are forgettable and the movie has 2 climaxes, feeling like it keeps going and won't end. I'm surprised some critics still prefer it.

I woke up from a frightening dream last night of me and some others chased in a mall by Indominus, who
didn't just have camo, but a freakin invisabity cloak
! You never knew where it would be!

Dino filled night and glad to see reviews rising. My 75% prefiction is fairly accurate, it seems!

Yeah, TLW really doesn't hold up, IMO. It's not just the whole movie that goes on too long--some scenes just feel like they never end. The vaunted Rex trailer attack has so many logical inconsistencies and horrible cheesy dialogue moments, it really takes the wind out of that sequence's sails.

Also, I tagged the bit that might be a spoiler--I don't think they've shown that in any of the trailers yet and it's not on their site, so I think it's supposed to be a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom