• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

Still climbing for now

74%

PrVquUSl.jpg
Holy shit...did not see this coming!!!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm such an awesome predictor :p I had a feeling many would enjoy, but some would either compare it too much, or critique it more harshly, most likely due to nostalgia.

Yeah, TLW really doesn't hold up, IMO. It's not just the whole movie that goes on too long--some scenes just feel like they never end. The vaunted Rex trailer attack has so many logical inconsistencies and horrible cheesy dialogue moments, it really takes the wind out of that sequence's sails.

Also, I tagged the bit that might be a spoiler--I don't think they've shown that in any of the trailers yet and it's not on their site, so I think it's supposed to be a surprise.

That scene is so bad it shocks me that Spielberg was behind the camera. It is so over the top and cheesy. The part where the guy is slipping every foot trying to clip the rope to the trailer made me want to kick the damn TV.

Manu

That scene is so bad it shocks me that Spielberg was behind the camera. It is so over the top and cheesy. The part where the guy is slipping every foot trying to clip the rope to the trailer made me want to kick the damn TV.

-HOLD ON TO SOMETHING
-HOLD ON TO ANYTHING

It always looked great to me, the surprise here confuses me but maybe my tastes in movies differ a lot from most here, don't know.

Verger

Banned
Yeah I feel the Trailer sequence in TLW is one of the worst. It just keeps going on and on that it becomes parody. And god the scientist girl is so utterly stupid.

Next is the raptor attack where everyone acts like an idiot and one poor bastard dies by running into the mouth of a Rex, lol

Yeah I feel the Trailer sequence in TLW is one of the worst. It just keeps going on and on that it becomes parody. And god the scientist girl is so utterly stupid.

Next is the raptor attack where everyone acts like an idiot and one poor bastard dies by running into the mouth of a Rex, lol

The trailer sequence makes little sense, but I would argue it's one of those "movie magic" moments, where the little things that make no sense don't matter because the sequence is executed so well aside from them.

About 60 reviews right now--most summer movies end up with around 160-200 reviews (although big ones like AoU and Fury Road had about 250). Still a long ways to go.

BashNasty

Can't fucking wait for this movie, it's gonna be so much fun!

No idea why GAF has always been so down on it. A big, dumb summer blockbuster with dinosaurs, what's to dislike?

I really enjoyed the film, but it's reviewing higher across the board than I expected- I thought it would have more of a divisive effect.

I need to write up a proper set of impressions and review, but I'm just fucking beat. These past few days have been insane.

Though if anyone knows if I can see the movie again today in LA lemme know!

As long as it is above 60 ill be happy. Cant wait to see it tomorrow night, its been a long wait for this movie. Would be awesome if it stayed in the 70s or goes into the 80s just to have a good crow eating thread.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

2 scenes from that were terrible.

-The part where Sarah says "spit" to Nick and he spits into her hand instead of the gum. Was it supposed to be funny? I always thought it was gross because he spits a lot into her hand :/

-When everyone is dangling off the rope for dear life off the trailer and Eddie asks if he can get them anything to get the sarcastic "three double cheeseburger" comment, and the other two add to it. Yeesh, talk about breaking tone and a total eye-roller!

2 scenes from that were terrible.

-The part where Sarah says "spit" to Nick and he spits into her hand instead of the gum. Was it supposed to be funny? I always thought it was gross because he spits a lot into her hand :/

-When everyone is dangling off the rope for dear life off the trailer and Eddie asks if he can get them anything to get the sarcastic "three double cheeseburger" comment, and the other two add to it. Yeesh, talk about breaking tone and a total eye-roller!

Ugh, so bad. Nevermind the "I'll ignore the phone calls to the trailer on DINOSAUR FUCKING ISLAND."

DonMigs85

Stop focusing so much on reviews and your Rotten Critics scores and just watch the movie if you have any interest at all dudes.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, so bad. Nevermind the "I'll ignore the phone calls to the trailer on DINOSAUR FUCKING ISLAND."

Gotta work on fixing baby rex's leg!

Tonight, I go through the awesome JP3 before I watch JW tomorrow. Time for talking raptors and head-turning Pteranodons!

I suppose its natural to compare this to the original, but I just want this to be good. The original helped define my childhood so I mean yeah Jurassic World doesn't have that benefit. I want this to be its own experience while being part of the series. Trevorrow isn't going to come in and make a film like Spielberg did that's going to have that same impact due to a truckload of variables, but at my age I'm digging the idea of this movie having it's own themes and especially the commentary that critics are pointing out which is possibly what's winning most of them over.

It sounds like a big self referential dinosaur movie with quirks and maybe rough around some edges, but I could criticize some of the same things in the first one. I'm pleased it's not being torn apart by critics, but I'm still eager to make up my own mind.

Superflat

People are shitting on the TLW trailer sequence now?? Jeezus

It captured my imagination as a kid and I wanted nothing more than the toys of the trailers and the bull T-Rex to recreate that whole sequence.

Eddie Carr: What do you need?
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Rope!
Eddie Carr: OK, rope! Anything else?
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, three double cheeseburgers with everything!
Nick Van Owen: No onions on mine!
Sarah Harding: And an apple turnover!

I loved that shit

I'm sore by the way Carr died though, possibly the most mean-spirited death in the series (haven't seen JW yet though)

Manu

It captured my imagination as a kid and I wanted nothing more than the toys of the trailers and the bull T-Rex to recreate that whole sequence.

I loved that shit

I thought it was stupid as fuck when I watched in the cinema. I was 9.

When's the last time you watched it? I'm not saying it's awful, but its not nearly as tight as the original escape sequence. The script REALLY lets down the scene tension, not to mention the shitty jokes and made-for-trailer one liners.

Fuchsdh

Gotta work on fixing baby rex's leg!

Tonight, I go through the awesome JP3 before I watch JW tomorrow. Time for talking raptors and head-turning Pteranodons!

I loved both of those things, personally. The raptor because it was so out of left field bizarre and the Pteranodon because I got that "you dun goofed" vibe immediately.

Also I remember I was the only one who called that Grant's colleague would survive, and no one watching the film believed me, but even I was surprised by the abrupt ending where they manage to pick him up before essentially storming the beach.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I loved both of those things, personally. The raptor because it was so out of left field bizarre and the Pteranodon because I got that "you dun goofed" vibe immediately.

I mean, they are great as memes nowadays. Back in the day JP3 I felt kind of came out of nowhere, and I didn't even see it in theaters. I remember asking friends how it was and basically all I got was "well, it's good if you want to see it for dinosaur fights". So, I rented it and got screaming annoying parents that had to make up a BS story to save their kid (which they should've said in the first place and could've got ya know, real government help and people with big guns etc). Raptors did look neat, Spinosaur looked neat, but I like Spinos so it was a bit of a bias. Then there was the dino fight and yeahhhh... Ceratosaurus makes a 2 second cameo (booo!!) and the whole movie experience didn't even feel like a JP. I had no idea what they were doing :/

Superflat

When's the last time you watched it? I'm not saying it's awful, but its not nearly as tight as the original escape sequence. The script REALLY lets down the scene tension, not to mention the shitty jokes and made-for-trailer one liners.

I watch all three JP films like once a year. I thought the trailer sequence was good at stacking tension, transforming the trailers into a claustrophobic death trap, getting pushed over the cliff, sarah on cracking glass, then Carr with the Rex. It's fairly small scale when it comes to carnage but I always thought it was affective, esp the way it was shot. Plus the amazing score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom