• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

I mean, they are great as memes nowadays. Back in the day JP3 I felt kind of came out of nowhere, and I didn't even see it in theaters. I remember asking friends how it was and basically all I got was "well, it's good if you want to see it for dinosaur fights". So, I rented it and got screaming annoying parents that had to make up a BS story to save their kid (which they should've said in the first place and could've got ya know, real government help and people with big guns etc). Raptors did look neat, Spinosaur looked neat, but I like Spinos so it was a bit of a bias. Then there was the dino fight and yeahhhh... Ceratosaurus makes a 2 second cameo (booo!!) and the whole movie experience didn't even feel like a JP. I had no idea what they were doing :/

I definitely want to sit down and rewatch TLW and JPIII again just for a direct comparison; I'd always considered TLW the worse film and until all these periodic "TLW! No, JPIII!" topics came up on GAF I didn't realize it was so contentious among some people. Maybe my disgust of TLW has more to do with how many times I've watched it versus quality compared to the other film.

I watch all three JP films like once a year. I thought the trailer sequence was good at stacking tension, transforming the trailers into a claustrophobic death trap, getting pushed over the cliff, sarah on cracking glass, then Carr with the Rex. It's fairly small scale when it comes to carnage but I always thought it was affective, esp the way it was shot. Plus the amazing score.

While there's a lot of that sequence I hate (mostly the idiocy Harding displays throughout the film but especially there) I think the bit where they are on the slowly-cracking glass is very nicely done.

Superflat

I definitely want to sit down and rewatch TLW and JPIII again just for a direct comparison; I'd always considered TLW the worse film and until all these periodic "TLW! No, JPIII!" topics came up on GAF I didn't realize it was so contentious among some people. Maybe my disgust of TLW has more to do with how many times I've watched it versus quality compared to the other film.

Depends on people's priorities, is what I found.

The things in TLW I enjoyed is in the direction, cinematography, score, and even a fair amount of the dialogue. I've said this before; it's among Spielberg's worst movies, but it still showcases his innate sense for great memorable visuals here and there. To me these elements give me a real reason to come back.

JP3 gave me very little of the things I mentioned above. The direction is bland, dialogue is like that of a direct-to-video movie, and I can't even remember the score. The only scene that came across as remotely impressive was the vista in the wide Pteranodon cage.

Let me revise my statement - I knew this movie is going to suck and therefore not surprised by the reviews reaffirming that.

Like, only the negative ones? Which are being outnumbered by positive ones?

Altazor

JP3 gave me very little of the things I mentioned above. The direction is bland, dialogue is like that of a direct-to-video movie, and I can't even remember the score. The only scene that came across as remotely impressive was the vista in the wide Pteranodon cage.

I think that's the best part of the JP3. The fog greatly adds to the atmosphere.

I watch all three JP films like once a year. I thought the trailer sequence was good at stacking tension, transforming the trailers into a claustrophobic death trap, getting pushed over the cliff, sarah on cracking glass, then Carr with the Rex. It's fairly small scale when it comes to carnage but I always thought it was affective, esp the way it was shot. Plus the amazing score.

I can't really explain it. Honestly, I went into the rewatch thinking "alright, this movie isn't nearly as good as JP, but at least it has the trailer and the long grass scenes!"

And they were both kinda underwhelming. The trailer sequence is let down by the script, the dialogue, and the rexes that appear/disappear seemingly at will, as demanded by the writing. It goes on a bit too long and just stretches credibility TOO far--the 4x4 pulling up the massive trailer, the rexes disappearing just long enough for Eddy to attempt a rescue and then they (for some reason) decide to come back, the trailer falling PERFECTLY around the stars dangling on the rope, and then the 30 foot rope climb into the arms of the other party (who JUST missed the rexes, I guess?).

The tall grass scene is fun simply for the concept and imagery, but there's not much to it, plus Malcolm and his group have raptor armor despite having arrived at the field just a MOMENT after the slaughter. The raptors in the abandoned center are trained in slapstick and seem to have gotten dumber since JP1.

Let me revise my statement - I knew this movie is going to suck and therefore not surprised by the reviews reaffirming that.

I guess you're only reading the rotten ones?

aerts1js

?? most reviews are positive.. every movie in existence has some negative reviews. I don't understand what you're getting at?

I for one am just happy it's above 60.. after watching those trailers I thought it was going to score in the 30-40 range.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Surely there will be more reviews coming in the next two days, though, right?

Nope! That's all the reviews we're getting! Pack it up and go home guys!

So main page RT says 75 but the JW page says 73. Which is the correct one?

7/10 average = sucks?

The general consensus seems to be that it's a fun action movie with dinosaurs

The movie was always going to pale in comparison to the first. Nothing could ever capture that magic again. That was a milestone in cinema, with groundbreaking special effects never seen before

Compared to modern movies where CGI and dinosaurs are nothing particularly unique

Superflat

Considering how much damn baggage and scorn JW has carried ever since its first trailer, I'm honestly pretty surprised with how it's doing with critics.

Interviews with Trevorrow have been nothing but earnest, and it seems to show through in the film.

Game4life

Banned
I guess you're only reading the rotten ones?

Well even the positive one's are praising shallow things. Praise like -' like leave your brains and you will enjoy this' or ' For a popcorn movie it is fun' etc is the kind of praise that I could not care less about . Its the same reason shit like Furious 7 has so many fresh reviews. Basically there is nothing redeeming about the title when one looks at the movie objectively so reviewers come up with stupid sentences like that to make their guilty pleasure of seeing unintelligent, lowest common denominator movies seem more legitimate.

I hope I am wrong but I have burned by too many so called blockbuster movies like Age of Ultron and FF7 that I am taking these positive reviews with a grain of salt. That is why I found Mad Max such a surprising revelation. It was so freaking good.

Well even the positive one's are praising shallow things. Praise like -' like leave your brains and you will enjoy this' or ' For a popcorn movie it is fun' etc is the kind of praise that I could not care less about . Its the same reason shit like Furious 7 has so many fresh reviews. Basically there is nothing redeeming about the title when one looks at the movie objectively so reviewers come up with stupid sentences like that to make their guilty pleasure of seeing unintelligent, lowest common denominator movies seem more legitimate.

Or maybe the movie is just kind of fun?

You must be great at parties

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

And yet it scores higher than Transformers. Ok. Are you looking for or expecting something to end up in the Criterion collection or something?

Symphonic

I hope I am wrong but I have burned by too many so called blockbuster movies like Age of Ultron and FF7 that I am taking these positive reviews with a grain of salt.

Geez dude, just don't go see it. It might spiral you into a deep depression at the rate you're letting blockbusters get to you.

Pulling misinformation into the thread (a factually wrong 'reviews reaffirming the movie being terrible') is just going to make everyone upset.

xam3l

If anything this sounds like the only sequel we should really go to. If JP3 sucks so does TLW. If not more so. IMO.

I still think TLW is a worthy sequel, at least I like today the same way I liked it when I watched it in 97. It may be dumb in some things but its trully enjoyable and has a great feeling.

Either way JW feels way better that TLW ;)
This movie even tries to ignore the events of TLW.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Movie starts premiering in the theaters here tomorrow !

oh man i should have gotten a ticket in advance .. now i'll go theret tomorrow and probably get a crappy seat :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've come to realize that what I enjoyed most about Jurassic Park (the original) was the setup - the first half of the movie. The world they create, the explanations they give, and the first look at the park. There is a sense of wonder there that is quite captivating still today. It takes a long time for things to go wrong and it's the slow build up to that moment that works really well.

I'm not really into the "exciting" aspects of Jurassic Park in the end.

Still eager to see this movie, though, as I'm very very curious about it. I've set expectations very low, though, so I may actually wind up enjoying it.

I still think TLW is a worthy sequel, at least I like today the same way I liked it when I watched it in 97. It may be dumb in some things but its trully enjoyable and has a great feeling.

Either way JW feels way better that TLW ;)
This movie even tries to ignore the events of TLW.

It's just not exactly Jurassic Park to me, or at least what I personally want out of it. I certainly respect opinions though. :)

73 now...wow the next few days will be interesting, lol.

I think we can assume it will be between 65-80%. I don't really care but it could be a fun little thing to follow. I don't think people actually care about RT scores more than they just have fun in the sporty element of it.

I've come to realize that what I enjoyed most about Jurassic Park (the original) was the setup - the first half of the movie. The world they create, the explanations they give, and the first look at the park. There is a sense of wonder there that is quite captivating still today. It takes a long time for things to go wrong and it's the slow build up to that moment that works really well.

Still eager to see this movie, though, as I'm very very curious about it. I've set expectations very low, though, so I may actually wind up enjoying it.

Yup. The 2 best parts of the film are "there it is...." followed by the swelling music and landscape shots, and the entire lead up to the trex attack.

I hope I am wrong but I have burned by too many so called blockbuster movies like Age of Ultron and FF7 that I am taking these positive reviews with a grain of salt. That is why I found Mad Max such a surprising revelation. It was so freaking good.
Or you know, maybe they enjoyed it. It's almost as if they have different opinions, likes, and dislikes than you do

How do you review a movie objectively anyway? Saying a movie was excellent or fun or shit or boring is a subjective measure.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Same here, I loved the theme park setting of the first one.

Just the fact that this one takes place in a thriving theme park makes it better than TLW and 3 in my eyes, even without watching it.

Saying that, the theme park setting is this franchise's Achilles heel as well. There's only so many times you can rehash the theme park setting without it becoming stale.

Manu

Or you know, maybe they enjoyed it. It's almost as if they have different opinions, likes, and dislikes than you do

How do you review a movie objectively anyway? Saying a movie was excellent or fun or shit or boring is a subjective measure.

"This movie is good for the wrong reasons."

guek

Banned

Some people just have snobbish taste. I wish I had a better word than that since I don't think it's wrong to like what you like, but some people are just incapable of appreciating the more mainstream aspects of cinema.

Rainy

Banned
If I've never watched any Jurassic Park movies which ones are the ones I should watch before this? (Or rather which ones are worth watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom