• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Bryce Dallas Howard could have been replaced with a toaster in a red wig and heels halfway through the film and no one would known the difference; she was an absolute non-entity and the whole "pretty little uptight workaholic business lady doesn't have time for the kids!" subplot was so underdeveloped, forgettable, and just plain unnecessary. Why did we need it when they already set up the "pretty little uptight workaholic business lady needs connect with the animals and face nature!" subplot?
If she wasn't like that, how would she lose track of them? If she didn't know them, why would she care/what would their story connection be? Either way, she was ridiculously similar to a friend of mine (and I assume she was acting like people she knew IRL), so I had no believability issues with her character.

Fuchsdh

I liked when Masrani had a convo with Wu. That was all pretty cool.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why Masrani is in this film. Aside from his (good) conversation with Wu, he's a character with unknown motivations who doesn't do anything useful. In one scene he seems like John Hammond, in the next like his nephew, and then he goes Rambo with a side of Richard Branson towards the end.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Thought he movie was decent .... I forget everyone's name but I am having a harder time trying to figure out what tag team would win in a fight ..... The two brothers from Jurassic world or the two brothers from San Andrews.... I need to think about this

Yeah, Jurassic Park III's fight scene was genuinely more believable than JW's equivalent, and I never thought I'd write that. T.Rex losing was weak shit, but it did play out kind of like you'd actually expect out of two predators encroaching on each others territory--brief and brutal. Jurassic World, on the other hand, has
the T.Rex essentially walking out of its paddock to play hero in a very literal way and the fight plays out more like Optimus Prime vs. Megatron than two actual animals in a fight.

shinobi602 there is a wikipedia page on the animals you seem to know absolutely nothing about, go read it. You might learn something useful.

Raptors in this world are as smart as primates. That's why. It's still ridiculous, but hey the Navy today trains dolphins and sea lions for military use

I understand, but...
Even so seals and Dolphins don't seem to be used in combat missions where they have to fight people or machines with guns...I mean, if people like Vincent d'onofrio are really so confident about the skills of non-human animals in combat why hasn't this universe's military militarized intelligent predators like bears, painted wild dogs, tigers, or (again) Lions back in the late 90s-early 2000s? If they're looking for near-human level intelligence they could always make super soldiers out of ludicrously strong animals like Gorillas and Chimps. It also seems like they'd have a much easier time understanding the genome of living breathing modern animals than that of extinct 65 million year old non-avian dinosaurs'. Hell, why not just genetically engineer human soldiers with the skills and abilities of the animals I mentioned above? It's not like they don't have the tech to do so.
I get that it's a big dumb ridiculous popcorn blockbuster that can get away with not making sense in some areas, but that whole plot element just seems really contrived and ill-thought out to to me.

If she wasn't like that, how would she lose track of them? If she didn't know them, why would she care/what would their story connection be? Either way, she was ridiculously similar to a friend of mine (and I assume she was acting like people she knew IRL), so I had no believability issues with her character.

Sometimes people naturally act differently around different people.
She could have been uptight and prissy to everybody else, but she also could have been a loose fun-loving cool aunt to the two brothers. Maybe she could have actually been proud of how she was running the park and insisted on giving them a cool "V.I.P" tour before letting them loose on their own.
I don't know...the way they handled it in the film proper just seemed forced and underdeveloped. They didn't need two unsatisfying arcs for this lady to follow.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Friend and I went to see it and we both fucking hated it. By far the worst one in the franchise. It did the same thing the Avengers did and undercut any semblance of dramatic tensions with bad jokes.

Friend and I went to see it and we both fucking hated it. By far the worst one in the franchise. It did the same thing the Avengers did and undercut any semblance of dramatic tensions with bad jokes.
Same boat. Thought it was a hot piece of garbage. As dumb and cheesy as the last 20 minutes was, it was still awesome overall.

I was wondering how such a piece of shite could be written, then I saw 4 screenwriters were credited and it suddenly made sense.

Not sure if I should spoiler tag this. Vague comments about the movie in general.

The fact that movie felt like it needed to have an actual fight scene between dinos speaks volumes to its quality in general. Such a different tone than the original Jurassic Park.

Daingurse

Just got back from my showing, really enjoyed the movie. The film overall exceeded my expectations, really worked for me better than I thought it would. Tons of fun. Looking forward to more!

Antiochus

A further testament to how bankrupt current summer blockbusters have become in the last 5 years. "Fan service" and nostalgia plays do not a good movie make by themselves. At the very best this movie is a spiritual clone of The Lost World, and why have that when it was already released 18 years ago and at least had the excuse of being fresher and debuting in a more naive time period? The box office projections are an ever more horrifying travesty for potentially birthing additional sequels down the line.

aerts1js

Man.. from the trailers I was expecting a shitfest but the movie was pretty damn awesome! Not as good as the first but MILES ahead of 2 & 3.

Superflat

Not sure if I should spoiler tag this. Vague comments about the movie in general.

The fact that movie felt like it needed to have an actual fight scene between dinos speaks volumes to its quality in general. Such a different tone than the original Jurassic Park.

Different tone isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's in the hands of a different director and he made his mark using his sensibilities and perspective, which is palpable in JW; even with just Safety Not Guaranteed under his belt, I could see his influence on JW.

edit: just came back from seeing JW. Put my initial thoughts on the spoiler thread.

I'm in a daze after everything that happened in the film, which is a LOT.

aerts1js

? The first movie has a fight scene with a t-rex and a raptor.

It wasn't anything near what happens in Jurassic World. JW felt like all the other summer blockbuster movies these days, which apparently have a stipulation that requires a CGI-filled final battle.

Well yeah, it was a T-Rex and the I-Rex going at it. The first film was 1 raptor vs a T-Rex, of course it was short. Come to think of it each JP film had a dino vs dino fight of some sort. First had the Rex and Raptor, second had two raptors, and the 3rd had Rex vs Spino.

Komo

Banned
Hey guys,

Being dragged to see this tonight by my dad who's been super excited for it. Unfortunately, I don't share the same excitement for it as he does.

I'm guessing there's gonna be giant lizards and more giant lizards. Also a bunch of CGI effects. ... It's not awful, is it?

Superflat

Hey guys,

Being dragged to see this tonight by my dad who's been super excited for it. Unfortunately, I don't share the same excitement for it as he does.

I'm guessing there's gonna be giant lizards and more giant lizards. Also a bunch of CGI effects. ... It's not awful, is it?

Just have fun :D

Blablurn

Hey guys,

Its glorious

ItIsOkBro

This movie felt like it exists just to exist. I feel the same after watching it as I did before watching it. The Raptor CGI always looked a quite bit too "sharp" compared to the environments and it stood out. It's just, why make a Jurassic Park after all these years if it's just gonna be so routine.

Toothless

There was a lot of fun moments in it, but something was indeed lacking. The score was great though, and Pratt was excellent. The kids were cool, and I actually liked the raptor plot that everyone criticized in the previews. It was actually pretty entertaining, and the nostalgia moments brought me happiness. I also liked the campiness of D'Onorfio lol. Jake Johnson was another highlight. I feel like I'll like it more with a rewatch since there were a lot of moments it gave me goosebumps. Definitely worth a watch.

munroe

Same boat. Thought it was a hot piece of garbage. As dumb and cheesy as the last 20 minutes was, it was still awesome overall.

I was wondering how such a piece of shite could be written, then I saw 4 screenwriters were credited and it suddenly made sense.

What? You say you're in the same boat as the person who absolutely hated it and how the story was "a piece of shite", but go on to say it was still awesome...

Saw it on Friday and really enjoyed it, for me it would go JP > JW > JP3 > LW

I didnt mind the comedic elements in this, found the characters likeable and no where near as annoying as the other films' characters

Superflat

There was a lot of fun moments in it, but something was indeed lacking. The score was great though, and Pratt was excellent. The kids were cool, and I actually liked the raptor plot that everyone criticized in the previews. It was actually pretty entertaining, and the nostalgia moments brought me happiness. I also liked the campiness of D'Onorfio lol. Jake Johnson was another highlight. I feel like I'll like it more with a rewatch since there were a lot of moments it gave me goosebumps. Definitely worth a watch.

I simply wanted more of all the characters. They had a large cast, and I enjoyed them all, more than I expected to for many of them; but none of them were completely satisfactorily executed by the end. But as a rip roaring action film, it does its job very well.

Bryce Dallas Howard could have been replaced with a toaster in a red wig and heels halfway through the film and no one would known the difference; she was an absolute non-entity and the whole "pretty little uptight workaholic business lady doesn't have time for the kids!" subplot was so underdeveloped, forgettable, and just plain unnecessary. Why did we need it when they already set up the "pretty little uptight workaholic business lady needs connect with the animals and face nature!" subplot?

She was probably the worst part of the whole movie, which is saying a lot since the two kids were awful. My eyes could not have rolled harder when she made a joke to the kids while the flying dinosaurs were terrorising everyone when before she was a nervous wreck. The movie was tonally all over the place. And LOL at the last scene with her and Pratt. So bad.

DonMigs85

Why
jwstegorepaint.jpg

Some people tend to forget that the very first Jurassic Park had us witness something in the theaters that was never done before. We finally got the chance to see how dinosaurs were.

How they reacted, how fearsome they are, how frightening they can become but also how much of that 'style' is still present in today's nature albeit smaller.

That first glance coupled with the fact that Jurassic Park was the very first theater movie they ever went to as a child.

Child memories are strong, incredibly strong. That stuff is fueled with emotion so every time you think back on it the movie is quadrupled in terms of how awesome it is.

Nothing can top the first for the majority and that is where I feel that those people (including myself) need to take off those nostalgia goggles and appreciate Jurassic World for what it is.

It wasn't anything near what happens in Jurassic World. JW felt like all the other summer blockbuster movies these days, which apparently have a stipulation that requires a CGI-filled final battle.

yeah out of the entire series this felt the most like the average blockbuster you get in recent years. it was just so....generic.

i liked pratt though (even with the crap script he was given he managed to kind of shine through) and the end fight was fun.

better than 3, but still a pretty average movie overall. colin trevorrow is certainly not somebody to look out for imo. also the kids weren't as bad as people said tbh. they were perfectly fine, bryce dallas howard certainly was problematic though.

Komo

Banned
Just got back from the movie

I actually really liked it. It was just an all-around awesome movie, to be completely honest. Although there were some flaws. The CGI wasn't all that believable in a few parts, and the there were more than a few cliches, but the overall experience was fantastic. I was pleasantly surprised by the entire film, and this is coming from someone who's never even seen any of the previous Jurassic Park films (although that's about to change :p)

Calcium

Banned
It's funny to me that Raptor Squad was one of the most questionable elements during the marketing and they handled it so well that I've seen very few complaints about it.

SeanR1221

Some people tend to forget that the very first Jurassic Park had us witness something in the theaters that was never done before. We finally got the chance to see how dinosaurs were.

How they reacted, how fearsome they are, how frightening they can become but also how much of that 'style' is still present in today's nature albeit smaller.

That first glance coupled with the fact that Jurassic Park was the very first theater movie they ever went to as a child.

Child memories are strong, incredibly strong. That stuff is fueled with emotion so every time you think back on it the movie is quadrupled in terms of how awesome it is.

Nothing can top the first for the majority and that is where I feel that those people (including myself) need to take off those nostalgia goggles and appreciate Jurassic World for what it is.

Yup.

I'd love to have some kids who saw World go on to see Park and get their opinions.

Garruson

Saw the film in a staff screening and I fell asleep during it, it was incredibly boring.

Those few elements of the elder brother checking out two different girls were pointless and I'm gland they weren't expanded upon.

The genetically created dinosaur was weaksauce, it wasn't even bigger than a T-Rex, the film felt like the big aquatic dino should have been the main attraction.

There were no tense moments like in the first, the kids were not interesting at all. And then ending couldn't save it, I was expecting nothing and I was still disappointed.

Saw it today, thought it was pretty lame overall tbh.

I guess it did it's job as a big dumb nostalgic summer monster movie (I'll admit that the classic musical cues/lemotifs were really nice to hear), but man...could they have at least written less-wooden unappealing human characters?

Chris Pratt was charming as always, but Jurassic Pratt was an incredibly underdeveloped cartoonishly heroic version of Muldoon; I honestly never believed that he was in any real danger because he always seemed to conveniently know about everything that came at him. Plus I didn't really understand why he even cared so much about the fakeosaurs...
Was he an animal expert? A paleotologist? A biologist? His respect for the animals monsters felt much more forced and under cooked than that of Grant's or Muldoon's.
And the kids...oh the damn kids were bad. The little boy was wholly forgettable, and I wanted the older brother to get eaten by the serial killer mutant.
Everyone else...they were about as forgettable as the younger brother; they all just existed to check off boxes.

The storytelling overall was trite, poorly paced, and rehashed from the first film.
Like, it was basically JP1 with really hokey poorly thought-out poorly used B-movie level elements like Darth holyshitit'saserialkillasauras and that ridiculous pterosaur flying bat eagle lizard monster scene that took me right out of the movie.
The militarization element was so moronic and cliche...why would anybody want non-human flesh and blood creatures on the battlefield? Why hasn't the military in this universe's world tried to militarize Lions or something if they think that's a good idea? They're just as fast, powerful, and smart. Plus they're easier to get to, and they can even open doors.
It just makes no real sense why anything is happening in this film.

Also on the subject of the flying bat eagle lizard monster attack
the death of that assistant lady was ridiculously mean spirited. The flying bat eagle lizard monsters diving into the tank to continue attack her was ridiculously unnecessary.

At the end of the day guess it's a step up from the previous sequels...but that's not saying much.

Edit: Honestly I don't understand how this basically has a C on Rotten when it's a D + at it's best.

Saw a tweet by Nish Kumar related to that which made me laugh.

c8cdhYn.png

kinggroin

Banned
It's funny to me that Raptor Squad was one of the most questionable elements during the marketing and they handled it so well that I've seen very few complaints about it.

It was so stupid a concept being displayed amongst a sea of stupid concepts that I'm positive the movie came off as intentional satire. No grief given to those scenes within the context of the film; it fits.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm feeling like the love for this movie is running on sheer nostalgia and summer time levity. Nothing else explains its success or why comments like "this movie, this FUCKING movie" exist.

Gotta say, now that its killed at the BO, I'm hoping future sequels are given competent writers and scripts.

Edit: Yes. I'm salty as fuck.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Maybe if your idea of a good movie wasn't so narrow, you'd see why people legitimately enjoy it.

Yo, I love dinosaurs. This movie reminded me of that fact. I also love when dinosaurs fight just like I imagined they did when I made toys of them fight as a child.

BunnyBear

Maybe if your idea of a good movie wasn't so narrow, you'd see why people legitimately enjoy it.

Nonsense, in no way is this a quality tale. It's a big-budget Hollywood action flick with a weak storyline and not much more. Pretending it's some masterpiece is asinine. I'm glad people get enjoyment out of it, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I'm feeling like the love for this movie is running on sheer nostalgia and summer time levity. Nothing else explains its success or why comments like "this movie, this FUCKING movie" exist.

Gotta say, now that its killed at the BO, I'm hoping future sequels are given competent writers and scripts.

Edit: Yes. I'm salty as fuck.
Indeed the salt, it's delicious. I thought it was a very fun movie, not just from the nostalgia factor.

kitzkozan

A fair comment in a way, but don't forget that not everyone is an epicurean at the heart (which many are among the geeks). The entertainment value or spectacle factor of a film is inconsequential, as it's not an hook for me. I will easily detect the flaws and the sloppy execution in movies such as these, instinctively (I and many others). Not to mention that the movie director of this flick is no Steven Spielberg or someone who's worth mentioning period imo (the way that a director manipulate the cinematographic language is something I pay attention to as well).

It's hard for many people to separate their specific personalities and what they look for in something vs the general mindset which is prevalent, which is understandable. This is why I rarely participate in movie discussion on GAF since I quickly grasped the general taste of most users which aren't in line with my own lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom