• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

RJlv0aX.gif

I can't even bring myself to go see the movie because of those 2 gifs.

bengraven

Some people tend to forget that the very first Jurassic Park had us witness something in the theaters that was never done before. We finally got the chance to see how dinosaurs were.

How they reacted, how fearsome they are, how frightening they can become but also how much of that 'style' is still present in today's nature albeit smaller.

That first glance coupled with the fact that Jurassic Park was the very first theater movie they ever went to as a child.

Child memories are strong, incredibly strong. That stuff is fueled with emotion so every time you think back on it the movie is quadrupled in terms of how awesome it is.

Nothing can top the first for the majority and that is where I feel that those people (including myself) need to take off those nostalgia goggles and appreciate Jurassic World for what it is.

Well said.

We've already had our spectacle over the years - it's almost impossible for us to be as wowed by CGI as we once were. And if not - then I can't wait to see what someone does in the future to make us awed.

We've seen dinosaurs for the first time, alive. We've seen aliens talking to us. We've brought our nightmares to life both from fairy tales and from real life. We've seen the spectacles of outer space. There is very little left to wow us.

So just sit back and enjoy movies.

Until VR reinvents it all over again... ;p

joedan

This was terrible. Also Chris Pratt, what happened? Like they got his non charismatic clone to star in this.

And why was he dressed like Steve Urkel? He wasn't wearing suspenders but his clothes seemed too tight. Made him run like a cartoon character.

I guess checklist is the new buzzword. Protip, its a franchise where people go for certain things. Tell me, what scenes or elements could they do to make these elitists not think that they went down a checklist? Suggestions anyone? Maybe if you feel this way, it isn't for you. It's like complaining that a Zelda game just hits checklists by having dungeons and bosses.

Oh Jesus some of the shit you read online about action movies. If Jurassic World is a checklist movie, so is Mad Max. Literally a 2 hour chase scene and little more. So is Star Wars, or whatever else could be thrown into the mix.

fantomena

Saw the movie. It was neither fantastis or very bad, some cool moments here, I enjoyed parts of it and some other parts I simply laughed because they were so dumb.

ryan299

Just saw it. It's an average movie, like they all are, but I still enjoyed it.

After seeing the all four of them for the first time this weekend, I like JP3 the best.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Fun flick. Better than I expected. Maybe terminator will follow suit and be better than its goofy trailers.

Ithil

Apart from one gag that is only meant as a "take that" joke anyway, the film basically ignores TLW and JP3 entirely.

You could easily just watch JP1 and JW, and take them as just a pair of films.

I had fun but the film had problems. Characters are forgettable, more so than the last two, and the dino action lacked any sort of suspense.

Ithil

Just saw it. It's an average movie, like they all are, but I still enjoyed it.

After seeing the all four of them for the first time this weekend, I like JP3 the best.

I'd need a gif of
the Rex smashing through the Spino skeleton
for this one.

Movie made me feel like a kid again. So overwhelmed with joy watching this movie. I loved it and even got teary-eyed, that's how much joy was flowing through my veins. Hell yeahhhhh.

Just saw it today. Loved it.
No its not better then the original. But hardly any sequal is better then the original.
I see in jurassic world what i was hoping to see in the lost world as a kid.
Sure there were a couple cliches. And some things i thought hmm ok...
But the vibe and the sentiment with music and clues to jurassic park. I just lived it. Had goosebumps from start to finish.
Im going to see it again like tommorow and friday again. And im already thrilled again tongo again :) also i recommend to watch jurassic park before this. Not lost world and 3 bur just jp.
I did and its perfect :) watched jp last night.
Movie made me feel like a kid again. So overwhelmed with joy watching this movie. I loved it and even got teary-eyed, that's how much joy was flowing through my veins. Hell yeahhhhh.
This !!

Ithil

The two moments that totally worked as far as "being a kid again", in spite of the first one being totally shameless, are the initial reveal of the fully functioning park while the JP1 theme blares, and of course the climax of
the Rex and Indominus having a big showdown

The reverence the film shows for JP1 and its Rex hits the nostalgia easily.

ItIsOkBro

Well said.

We've already had our spectacle over the years - it's almost impossible for us to be as wowed by CGI as we once were. And if not - then I can't wait to see what someone does in the future to make us awed.

We've seen dinosaurs for the first time, alive. We've seen aliens talking to us. We've brought our nightmares to life both from fairy tales and from real life. We've seen the spectacles of outer space. There is very little left to wow us.

So just sit back and enjoy movies.

Until VR reinvents it all over again... ;p

Nah man. Of course today throwing all the special effects you can at the screen no longer wows. But you can still get a reaction out of people depending on how you build and execute the action. I watched Jurassic Park a few weeks ago and several scenes still excited me - the raptors in the generator room with Ellie, the raptors in the kitchen, T-rex thrashing the jeep, for example. The's a suspense and thrill here that's near missing in JW. One scene did get me pumped and that was I-rex trying to eat and smash the hamster ball. But then the kids followed that up by jumping off a cliff like veteran action heroes. Even comparing the final T-rex battles, there's more going in JW but why does JP feel so much more triumphant? I don't know but the answer's not nostalgia.

Nah man. Of course today throwing all the special effects you can at the screen no longer wows. But you can still get a reaction out of people depending on how you build and execute the action. I watched Jurassic Park a few weeks ago and several scenes still excited me - the raptors in the generator room with Ellie, the raptors in the kitchen, T-rex thrashing the jeep, for example. The's a suspense and thrill here that's near missing in JW. One scene did get me pumped and that was I-rex trying to eat and smash the hamster ball. But then the kids followed that up by jumping off a cliff like veteran action heroes. Even comparing the final T-rex battles, there's more going in JW but why does JP feel so much more triumphant? I don't know but the answer's not nostalgia.

Spielberg.

For me the answer is simply that they didn't try to replicate it because it'd be futile. It just does its own thing with its own sense of excitement. The first was more confined so it had that thriller vibe. Sequels that try to redo the first always fail. Empire Strikes Back was different than A New Hope therefore no one was trying to compare it. JW isn't like JP but people still want to compare. I'd like to think it's different enough with its own ideas than to be considered a carbon copy. It has nostalgic elements but they felt organic.

Again, Alien and Aliens is a great comparison. Both good, but strive for different things. Cameron didn't try to outclass the horror of the original.

Just got back from seeing it and...INCREDIBLE! Got legit goosebumps at the ending battle and nearly jumped out of my seat screaming.

I really want a real life dino park like that, before everything goes to hell.

The movie was great. It doesn't touch JP1 or Lost World but it was a fantastic movie. It really made me feel like a kid again, at least for two hours. While the movie has some minor nitpicky flaws, it was a great ride and a great sequel. I really wanna see it again soon.

Timu

I wish I could like TLW as much as others do :(
I wish it didn't have so many dumb moments, protagonists acting like antagonists with their motives and leave out the San Diego scene(or alter it at least), then it would be good.

I find more problems with repeat viewings of that movie.

It's easily the worst for me. I like some scenes and some of the feel of it but I feel like every almost good sequence is ruined by something. I don't have that problem with the others, including JP3.

I wish it didn't have so many dumb moments, protagonists acting like antagonists with their motives and leave out the San Diego scene(or alter it at least), then it would be good.

I find more problems with repeat viewings of that movie.

Same here. I want to like it but I can't. The T-Rex-Scene is still awesome though.

Can't be stated enough how baffling it was that they hired trevorrow to rewrite the script and direct, he brought nothing to the table. Probably made the script worse tbh because I found the apes movies to be much better than this (though this was pretty fun because of the dinosaurs no doubt)

Superflat

I don't know if I fully agree, but I can see where TLW>JW folks are coming from. They both share some kind of consistency because they're both made by Spielberg and scored by Williams. Both of them are masters of their craft, and as many serious flaws TLW had, it shared a fair amount of vision, scope, and eye for spectacular sequences that they made for JP; just nowhere near as good.

As different TLW was from JP tonally, to me they felt like they shared the same universe. JW is such a different kind of film, completely divorced from the vision and aims of the first JP even just from a filmmaking and scriptwriting standpoint. Which isn't to say it's a bad movie because of it; I'm glad Trevorrow made it his own thing, which was really entertaining.

Can't be stated enough how baffling it was that they hired trevorrow to rewrite the script and direct, he brought nothing to the table. Probably made the script worse tbh because I found the apes movies to be much better than this (though this was pretty fun because of the dinosaurs no doubt)

You have to admit that you're completely guessing at "what if"s though; you've no clue what that script was like or how it would translate in the hands of any other director. the grass will always be greener on the other side. Just because Dawn of the Apes was fun (Rise was not very good) doesnt mean JW's was great until Derek and Trevorrow tore it up.

Thought he brought plenty. It had its own vision and story. They didn't hire him to rewrite, he suggested it and Spielberg agreed to it. I really don't see how the Apes movies are so much better either but the second was decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom