• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Indeed the salt, it's delicious. I thought it was a very fun movie, not just from the nostalgia factor.

but you have to agree that the nostalgia factor did made it better. At least for me, the time they open that door of that old building, and walk inside. Piano starts playing and oh god. That was so good.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well you can take solace in the fact that nothing in the film is as fast and loose as your Greek philosophical references.

As for not being able to change one's own personality and how one views things, I get that. I'm a huge Malick fan and have dealt with his detractors, whom all seem to need every theme and context and emotion and change spelled out to them in dialogue to perceive them as existing at all (common overlap with Nolan fans). And in some ways I feel this movie shares the indirect modes of expression found in Malick films, although of course not anywhere near on the level with his works.

I completely hated Prometheus due to countless nonsensical and self-conflicting things, so if that is you with this, I suppose I can get it. I just personally see a difference between "dumb" and "broken" and don't really give a single fuck about tonal consistency in a movie about such chaotic events, so I can easily let most of the faults in this slide and enjoy what happens.

Minion101

Banned
Saw a tweet by Nish Kumar related to that which made me laugh.

c8cdhYn.png

Whatever she was sexy AND doesn't want kids? Perfect woman.

RedStep

A fair comment in a way, but don't forget that not everyone is an epicurean at the heart (which many are among the geeks). The entertainment value or spectacle factor of a film is inconsequential, as it's not an hook for me. I will easily detect the flaws and the sloppy execution in movies such as these, instinctively (I and many others). Not to mention that the movie director of this flick is no Steven Spielberg or someone who's worth mentioning period imo (the way that a director manipulate the cinematographic language is something I pay attention to as well).

It's hard for many people to separate their specific personalities and what they look for in something vs the general mindset which is prevalent, which is understandable. This is why I rarely participate in movie discussion on GAF since I quickly grasped the general taste of most users which aren't in line with my own lol.

"lol" was the perfect way to cap off that long string of nonsense. Your tastes aren't any more finely-tuned than anybody else's, bro.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
World belongs in the same category as the Transformer films and I don't see how anyone can disagree.

oh please, this one had poor script but acting/and fan service was strong.

Transformers and Furious 7 were pure shit. Story, acting, dialogues.

Fuchsdh

Whatever she was sexy AND doesn't want kids? Perfect woman.

I don't see how you could come to the conclusion the lesson she learns is "I wanna have kids", either. Judy Greer drops a line but the character never does anything that indicates that. More like "I stopped being emotionally distant with my family".

DrEvil

not a medical professional
This movie was great amazing fun. Loved it.

Saw it in IMAX LASER and it blew me the fuck away. Holy shit.

It was certainly better than I was thinking (fearing) it would be, although it isnt something I'm going to revisit, or probably even think about, ever again. It was a fun 2 hour blockbuster though. The sexual politics and product placement really bothered me though, and no amount of self depricating humor can make up for the fact that I'm staring at a logo prominently in the frame for a quarter of the movie.

The raptor stuff surprisingly didn't bother me much, nor did the Indominus Rex. I quite liked the
twist that it had raptor DNA
as well.

Javin98

Banned
Watched this about two days ago and I loved it. It may not live up to the standards of the original but it was a great movie. Hopefully its success paves the way to more dinosaur movies and games. Also, am I the only one still shaken by
the deaths of all of the Velociraptors but Blue?

Doorman

Saw it last night and found it to be more or less what I expected it to be, or perhaps just a notch below. I won't just say it was a bad movie because there were some legitimately cool scenes in it and I was entertained for the time I viewed, but it definitely played out like a "better turn your brain off at the door" sort of film. The nostalgia bits were strong (walking through the "ruins" of the old Visitor's Center was cool to me), but also problematic in the sense that it continued to invite comparisons to the original film, and in that case World falls short on nearly every sense.

The new "kid duo" annoyed me way more than they maybe should have. Their individual quirks fell really flat, the whole "our parents are getting divorced!" subplot came out of literally nowhere for one scene and was never brought up again, and it felt like their knowledge and capabilities shifted at the convenient behest of the plot. Older kid who's shown no interest in being with his brother and only seems to have an aptitude for oogling girls is suddenly resourceful enough to fashion a torch out of an old park banner and knows how to restore 20-year-old vehicles? Their relationship with Claire never felt like it actually went anywhere, either, it's even joked that they bond more with Chris Pratt in ten minutes than they ever do with her.

Speaking of Claire...hoo boy. I joked with friends last night that Jurassic World must exist in some alternate universe where lawyers no longer exist, because there's no realistic way that the park wouldn't have been sued into oblivion before they ever even got to the Indominous. And even if they did, she'd be leaving that hangar at the end in handcuffs, as she's basically the only member of park leadership still alive to take responsibility for all of the casualties that occurred under her watch. Not to mention the fact that she more or less abandoned her job trying to run the park and keep people safe for the sake of running off into the jungle after her nephews. Props to her for somehow running full-tilt through the unstable ground of the old Visitor's Center in those high heels, though.

I guess, ultimately, the dinosaur action in the movie was all pretty cool, but the film as a whole is really hurt by the fact that most of the central cast was just...really unlikable. Pratt was alright, aside from coming off like a slightly-infallible combination of Grant, Muldoon, and Malcom from the first movie, and I liked his raptor-training partner. Mizrahi (sp?) had a good attitude about he park in the beginning and I liked him too, even though they made it painfully obvious what would happen to him. Pretty much everyone else in the movie, though, I could have done without.

Oh god,
the tag team take down at the end is legit awesome
Legitimately the best part of the movie for me, and may have saved the "worth watching" status.

massoluk

Banned
I must say the way situations escalated in this movie is really laughable, but man if it isn't fun. I wish I saw more of the park than the Rex hybrid though

What? You say you're in the same boat as the person who absolutely hated it and how the story was "a piece of shite", but go on to say it was still awesome...
Sorry. I should've been more clear. The last 20 minutes itself was awesome, in a dumb and cheesy kind of way. But fun. Overall, I still thought the whole thing was a piece of garbage.

Timu

vMoN2zU.gif

VLMCf8r.jpg

fCrwqjN.png

A3Jp1yM.jpg

All of the above have more character and are more likeable than anyone in the new movie.

Hell even the grunt from the 3rd movie was likable

5enBBeg.jpg
Only thing memorable about JP3's cast that isn't Grant is how bland to terrible they were. Also, dem motives to get on dat island.

DMczaf

The major lesson I learned from Jurassic World: This franchise has the worst collection of child characters ever. God damn.

Don't like any of them! Even with nostalgia, those JP kids were annoying fucks. However, no one beats Gymnast Girl.

Timu

The major lesson I learned from Jurassic World: This franchise has the worst collection of child characters ever. God damn.

Don't like any of them! Even with nostalgia, those JP kids were annoying fucks. However, no one beats Gymnast Girl.
I don't mind Gray, it's Zach that has problems!!!

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why Masrani is in this film. Aside from his (good) conversation with Wu, he's a character with unknown motivations who doesn't do anything useful. In one scene he seems like John Hammond, in the next like his nephew, and then he goes Rambo with a side of Richard Branson towards the end.

I think the point of his character is to show how Jurassic World is in the hands of someone who is maybe a decent guy -
and then when he dies, there is no one left to stand up to Donofrio's crazy schemes, thereby facilitating that whole subplot.
Now whether that subplot is worth facilitating is another question. But I liked Masrani himself.

the_standard

Neo Member
I just saw it this morning, I thought it was very average garbage, a list of set pieces and a check list. I agree with others some of the cg wasn't very convincing. Pratt was alright given the limits of the script. The Big Bad dino wasn't very awe inspiring. I winced when the OG soundtrack kicked in, this is the scene you pick for that piece of music??? A generic pan of nothing. Its sad that the success of this film will endear more generic fare.

Dead

well not really...yet
I just saw it this morning, I thought it was very average garbage, a list of set pieces and a check list. I agree with others some of the cg wasn't very convincing. Pratt was alright given the limits of the script. The Big Bad dino wasn't very awe inspiring. I winced when the OG soundtrack kicked in, this is the scene you pick for that piece of music??? A generic pan of nothing. Its sad that the success of this film will endear more generic fare.

100% this

nictron

Watching this was like sitting through two hours of seeing something you love be belittled and ridiculed. The way they used the same score that revealed the dinosaurs to Alan and Ellie in Park to reveal the resort made me very sad.

Edit: The extensive reuse of shots that I am assuming were there to invoke nostalgia just ended up feeling as though the shots were being perveted.
The helicopter with the spec ops flying towards Kauai in identical framing as the first journey to the island in park. Making the "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" banner into a torch.

Yeah, I hated this movie. I was 10 when Park came out and I know nostalgia goggles are real but this movie felt like it was activelt trying to ruin all future viewings of Park for me.

If you feel I am overreacting, maybe I am. But know that the money World has made will serve as a sign to the studios that they can absolutely canabalize anything you love into a shitshow monstrosity.

Even Phantom Menace created it's own score and just used some of the themes from the series.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Not a huge fan of this movie, but there were certainly some entertaining moments. At least it wasn't complete garbage like Fast 7.

It's funny to me that Raptor Squad was one of the most questionable elements during the marketing and they handled it so well that I've seen very few complaints about it.

It was silly of them to basically introduce that new concept by showing them submissively running next to him on the bike.

Had they showed him using the clicker and them trying to eat him the second he rolled out lf the trailer it would have communicated the concept and its realism better.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I winced when the OG soundtrack kicked in, this is the scene you pick for that piece of music??? A generic pan of nothing.

You're supposed to look at a completed park, surprised that it ever happened. The first one had them in jeeps and go through a gate, then it ended before they even reached the Brachiosaurus.

*shrug*

Saw it last night and found it to be more or less what I expected it to be, or perhaps just a notch below. I won't just say it was a bad movie because there were some legitimately cool scenes in it and I was entertained for the time I viewed, but it definitely played out like a "better turn your brain off at the door" sort of film. The nostalgia bits were strong (walking through the "ruins" of the old Visitor's Center was cool to me), but also problematic in the sense that it continued to invite comparisons to the original film, and in that case World falls short on nearly every sense.

The new "kid duo" annoyed me way more than they maybe should have. Their individual quirks fell really flat, the whole "our parents are getting divorced!" subplot came out of literally nowhere for one scene and was never brought up again, and it felt like their knowledge and capabilities shifted at the convenient behest of the plot. Older kid who's shown no interest in being with his brother and only seems to have an aptitude for oogling girls is suddenly resourceful enough to fashion a torch out of an old park banner and knows how to restore 20-year-old vehicles? Their relationship with Claire never felt like it actually went anywhere, either, it's even joked that they bond more with Chris Pratt in ten minutes than they ever do with her.

Speaking of Claire...hoo boy. I joked with friends last night that Jurassic World must exist in some alternate universe where lawyers no longer exist, because there's no realistic way that the park wouldn't have been sued into oblivion before they ever even got to the Indominous. And even if they did, she'd be leaving that hangar at the end in handcuffs, as she's basically the only member of park leadership still alive to take responsibility for all of the casualties that occurred under her watch. Not to mention the fact that she more or less abandoned her job trying to run the park and keep people safe for the sake of running off into the jungle after her nephews. Props to her for somehow running full-tilt through the unstable ground of the old Visitor's Center in those high heels, though.

I guess, ultimately, the dinosaur action in the movie was all pretty cool, but the film as a whole is really hurt by the fact that most of the central cast was just...really unlikable. Pratt was alright, aside from coming off like a slightly-infallible combination of Grant, Muldoon, and Malcom from the first movie, and I liked his raptor-training partner. Mizrahi (sp?) had a good attitude about he park in the beginning and I liked him too, even though they made it painfully obvious what would happen to him. Pretty much everyone else in the movie, though, I could have done without.

Legitimately the best part of the movie for me, and may have saved the "worth watching" status.

Wow it's like you pulled my thoughts right out of my head. Especially the random subplots that show up and Claire being responsible for all the shit going down. The only thing I would add would be how the Indom Rex is basically a slasher villian. She shows up at every convenient moment to wreck the most havoc while having a superpower to negate any action the heroes are trying to take.

nictron

You're supposed to look at a completed park, surprised that it ever happened. The first one had them in jeeps and go through a gate, then it ended before they even reached the Brachiosaurus.

*shrug*

There is a slight difference though.

In the first one, that theme built to the reveal of dinosaurs to dinosaur loving characters and dinosaurs and one of the first real massive computer generated spectacles of film.

In this one we show one enthusiatic kid and many apathetic onlookers a resort hotel. There was nothing of wonder in that.

To me it was a misuse of something previously associated with a grandiose reveal. We know they finished the park, it wasn't special at all.

If they make a sequel, they should finally tweak the design of the velociraptors to include forward-facing eyes, like a true predator. Every time they chase something, I can't help thinking, "how can they see where they're going?"

Also, what was the reason for keeping them immobilized with those muzzles for a good majority of the movie? Felt cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom