• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this was fun. Not any better or any worse than the other JP sequels. Just as ridiculous as them really. I'd compare it to other dormant franchises that received modern extensions (i.e., Indiana Jones TKotCS, Prometheus). Lots of expectation, divisive fan reception. Pretty good time at the theater.

So this was fun. Not any better or any worse than the other JP sequels. Just as ridiculous as them really. I'd compare it to other dormant franchises that received modern extensions (i.e., Indiana Jones TKotCS, Prometheus). Lots of expectation, divisive fan reception. Pretty good time at the theater.

It's significantly better than both The Lost World and Jurassic park 3 dude. Comparing this movie to JP3 is like comparing Star Wars to The Black Hole.

Didn't take them that long but here's the LE Blu-Ray statue.

10354946_938292889548928_630363232959379018_n.jpg

Didn't take them that long but here's the LE Blu-Ray statue.

10354946_938292889548928_630363232959379018_n.jpg
Where? Link please.

Why can't I find it?

Ugh UK only? Bah.

I've been talking to myself here with all of these edits... I went ahead and blindly preordered the NA limited edition gift set with no info as to what it is or what it includes.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Where? Link please.

Why can't I find it?

Ugh UK only? Bah.

I've been talking to myself here with all of these edits... I went ahead and blindly preordered the NA limited edition gift set with no info as to what it is or what it includes.

Boooo UK gets so many awesome movie LEs! I have the NA t-rex one from the trilogy set and that one's not bad. This one looks AMAZING if the sculpt comes out like that! I almost got the statue from Universal, but when I looked it up online, apparently it had a shoddy paint job for $100+ :/

I will look into this no-detail LE you speak of.

I went in with a really low bar and ended up really enjoying the movie.

I thought the Rex on Rex fight was great. My girlfriend thought it was dumb because she perceived it as the T-Rex helping them and teaming up with the Raptor.

It was more along the line of two animals attacking the same aggressor. I just wish the T-Rex would have chomped the raptor instead of just walking away though, would have caused less confusion for the crowd.

ReaderofThreads

Neo Member
Didn't really know what to expect but overall I enjoyed it. Not as good as the original but it infused enough fresh blood into the series that I would be willing to give the next inevitable sequel a shot.

This film was borderline fucking insulting and a disgrace to the original Jurassic Park.

You're all entitled to your opinions and I won't try to tell you what you should and shouldn't watch or enjoy, but dear fucking god, this movie is a colossal pile of shit.

Bland characters. Cheap rehashing of elements from the first film. Tonally inconsistent. A JOKE of an antagonist.

Just so fucking dumb. I feel like I'm not living in the same dimension as some people when they praise this pile of shit.

I'm done.

This film was borderline fucking insulting and a disgrace to the original Jurassic Park.

You're all entitled to your opinions and I won't try to tell you what you should and shouldn't watch or enjoy, but dear fucking god, this movie is a colossal pile of shit.

Bland characters. Cheap rehashing of elements from the first film. Tonally inconsistent. A JOKE of an antagonist.

Just so fucking dumb. I feel like I'm not living in the same dimension as some people when they praise this pile of shit.

I'm done.

When you say joke of an antagonist you're referring to the "make the raptors weapons" guy right? ...cause the I-Rex was awesome.

I would have expected the movie to be 69% on RT by now, but it held to 70 and even went back up to 71. It only was on 69 for a short period.

It's probably going to hold in 70

vern

Wasn't the T-Rex feeding attraction right there close by?

Yeah apparently it was, doesn't make it not stupid to have T-Rex next to the gift shop. But the entire movie was full of stupid so I guess that shouldn't have bothered me so much.

That was some kind of backlot access into the paddock. It made sense. Visitors don't go back there. It's similar to actual theme parks.

I'm done.
It's not being praised so much as it is regarded as being fun (http://i.word.com/idictionary/fun) and some of us are just defending it from odd, hyperbolic, hypocritical, and/contradictory posts.

I'm definitely praising it.
I've been finding time in between tasks at work jotting down some points to share. I think I may be reaching too far with some things but I'd rather allow myself to be excited by obscure ideas and hidden complexity than disappointed at surface level tropes that can be found everywhere.

Basically, I'm saying I'm a praiser too.

Oh there it is. Couldn't find it earlier. Guess I'll put down an order just in case it ends up being the same thing or as equally cool.

Sorry, I should have shared after frustratingly trying to find it myself earlier.

Joni

Yeah apparently it was, doesn't make it not stupid to have T-Rex next to the gift shop. But the entire movie was full of stupid so I guess that shouldn't have bothered me so much.

Why? What is stupid about putting your biggest attraction close to the gift shops where they are probably selling T-Rex dolls? Both the T-Rex and Mosasaur are close to the center, so people arriving can easily go see them. They are both really safe attractions because they are in completely closed cages.

Superflat

Why? What is stupid about putting your biggest attraction close to the gift shops where they are probably selling T-Rex dolls? Both the T-Rex and Mosasaur are close to the center, so people arriving can easily go see them. They are both really safe attractions because they are in completely closed cages.

To be fair, the Mosasaur tank
actually bordering RIGHT there on the main street is kinda dumb, considering the Mosasaur literally jumped right into what is a pedestrian walkway at the end of the film to nab the Dom.
The Rex though, the paddock was very well secured in a completely enclosed area, so that's not really a lapse in safety.

Joni

To be fair, the Mosasaur tank
actually bordering RIGHT there on the main street is kinda dumb, considering the Mosasaur literally jumped right into what is a pedestrian walkway at the end of the film to nab the Dom.
The Rex though, the paddock was very well secured in a completely enclosed area, so that's not really a lapse in safety.

I'm thinking the tank side actually got destroyed in the fight, they did a lot of damage. Or it might be the same signal as the others got.

vern

It seems smart to you to you to have the emergency rendezvous point for the entire park when shit hits the fan to be right next to one of your theme parks biggest threats for causing shit to hit the fan in the first place? I guess...I mean, I wouldn't do it if I designed the park but sure from a revenue point of view I guess it makes sense. Anyway the whole movie was dumb was my point, but still overall basically enjoyable. Won't ever watch it again though.

One thing I didn't mention was the 3D. This was the first movie I've seen in 3D that wasn't super dark and blurry and headache inducing. Give them props that. I might actually choose to watch 3D when given a choice if all movies looked like this one when done in 3D.

Saw it today - really enjoyed it. Very fun, and the last 20 minutes leave a great final impression. Not without its flaws, but not enough to ruin the experience. I love dinosaurs!

I'm done.

Hi five, bro.

Fuchsdh

It seems smart to you to you to have the emergency rendezvous point for the entire park when shit hits the fan to be right next to one of your theme parks biggest threats for causing shit to hit the fan in the first place? I guess...I mean, I wouldn't do it if I designed the park but sure from a revenue point of view I guess it makes sense. Anyway the whole movie was dumb was my point, but still overall basically enjoyable. Won't ever watch it again though.

One thing I didn't mention was the 3D. This was the first movie I've seen in 3D that wasn't super dark and blurry and headache inducing. Give them props that. I might actually choose to watch 3D when given a choice if all movies looked like this one when done in 3D.

I'm not a fan of 3D but I was quite impressed by the conversion they did on Jurassic Park for its anniversary. Watching the waving trees in the opening scene was mesmerizing.

KevinG

Oh there it is. Couldn't find it earlier. Guess I'll put down an order just in case it ends up being the same thing or as equally cool.

This is the link that the official Jurassic Park (facebook) page brought me to. I'd assume it is the set that's pictured.

Superflat

Watching JP again (surprise surprise) and I just wanted to say that the film's representation of Lex and Tim are really great and still stand as some of the best kid characters in an action/adventure film. Not because of any character depth or super "grounded-ness", but in how the actors are portrayed.

The film does a great job at making the kids and their trauma feel believable. Lex's lasting shock of being abandoned by Gennaro, Tim's first words when Grant finds him in the wreck being "I threw up". Those are precisely how kids behave -- they often don't look at the big picture and stress disproportionately about what's right in front of them; the short term. Grant's reassuring Lex "That's not what I'm gonna do" and Tim "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone you threw up" are great little injections of Grant's transformation into something of a father figure while also adding believability to the children's characters.

Their ability to switch from humorous squabbling siblings to completely terrified, screaming kids -- it's all done really, really well.

Just wanted to write about this as I'm watching JP for the umpteenth time

Timu

Watching JP again (surprise surprise) and I just wanted to say that the film's representation of Lex and Tim are really great and still stand as some of the best kid characters in an action/adventure film. Not because of any character depth or super "grounded-ness", but in how the actors are portrayed.

The film does a great job at making the kids and their trauma feel believable. Lex's lasting shock of being abandoned by Gennaro, Tim's first words when Grant finds him in the wreck being "I threw up". Those are precisely how kids behave -- they often don't look at the big picture and stress disproportionately about what's right in front of them; the short term. Grant's reassuring Lex "That's not what I'm gonna do" and Tim "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone you threw up" are great little injections of Grant's transformation into something of a father figure while also adding believability to the children's characters.

Their ability to switch from humorous squabbling siblings to completely terrified, screaming kids -- it's all done really, really well.

JP1 still has the best and memorable kids in the series compared to the sequels.

Yup. They're the perfect amount of utterly charming and understandably annoying. Spielberg has a knack for that (well, I guess his casting director, too). I remember being really impressed with the child actor for Jack in Hook.

Went in with the lowest of low expectations and ended up having a huge amount of fun. This was the best blockbuster I've seen in a while and easily the best Jurassic movie after 1. The kids are still annoying for the most part and the dinosaur weapon subplot was unnecessary and stupid but overall that stuff luckily didn't get much screentime. I was really suprised how well they did the whole tame raptor stuff. It was much more plausible than the raptor wisperer Grant in JP3 (but that movie was a clusterfuck anyway).

Great movie everall. I'd rate it 8/10.

Fuchsdh

Is there a video that summarizes the first 3? I'm going to see this tonight.

Jurassic Park: Kindly man plays god, creates dinosaurs. Newman lets dinosaurs out, dinosaurs eat people, everyone leaves the park. Paleontologist learns not to be a dick to kids.

The Lost World: A T. rex gets loose in San Diego and eats a person and a dog.

Jurassic Park III: Paleontologist gets really grumpy, dragged to island so others can be eaten by dinosaurs. A lawyer on a beach saves them.

But really, you don't need to know anything about the previous films.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Jurassic Park: Kindly man plays god, creates dinosaurs. Newman lets dinosaurs out, dinosaurs eat people, everyone leaves the park. Paleontologist learns not to be a dick to kids.

The Lost World: A T. rex gets loose in San Diego and eats a person and a dog.

Jurassic Park III: Paleontologist gets really grumpy, dragged to island so others can be eaten by dinosaurs. A lawyer on a beach saves them.

But really, you don't need to know anything about the previous films.

I would personally tweak these just slightly, but for the most part these are the most accurate explanations within 2 sentences :p

The Lost World feels more Jurassic Park than Jurassic World, but Jurassic World is overall a more enjoyable experience and is quite clever and creative with its plot. I'll always hold a soft spot for TLW, but Jurassic World is such goddamn enjoyable experience and IMO a amazing and worthy sequel to JP, despite the tonal differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom