• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajim

Just back from seeing it.

Absolutely loved it!! Best film I've seen in a damn long time!

It was bad ass as.

Waldini

Sure, Rexy didn't look like the T-Rex from Jurassic Park. Things change. Especially after 24 years. She has grown old and it shows.

When Claire was "shining" the flare down her paddock ... I loved that little "red" reflection in Rexy's eyes. Shame the roar was missing. The only time we hear the roar was when she was on the floor. Her ramming through the Spinosaurus skeleton was great to see. I was hoping she'd whoop the I-Rex's ass seeing as she is the more experienced hunter.

I really liked the movie. Would've loved to see more of the Park itself though.

Eiolon

Saw it a second time. The story is straight up fan fiction but I think it was the best route to go to be honest. Telling it the way Spielberg tells his stories just wouldn't work in this day in age. We can't be spoon fed the dinosaurs appearances on screen for sake of a better story. There is no real technological achievement to showcase. We just need raw dino action and we got it. It's such a fun movie.

mantidor

So I was expecting more backlash to this movie? It was bad, really bad, final fight scene was ok but the premise of trained raptors is so fucking dumb my head hurts.

It had one cringe worthy line after the next, I really couldn't enjoy it at all, sorry. And I'm a huge fanboy of the original trilogy, yes even Lost World, maybe I was just too young when I saw them.

Because they are reptiles, really old ones at that. But the thing that bothers me more is that it just contradicts everything they've told us about raptors in this universe.

Where in the universe does it say that? If we are going to look at "canon", we know that:

-Raptors are ridiculously smart
-Raptors can communicate with each other
-Raptors are pack hunters
-Humans can communicate directly with raptors using super duper resonating chamber reconstructions

Nothing in there says they can't be untrainable or that humans are their mortal enemy. In fact, Spielberg left out all the cool shit from TLW novel about the Isla Sorna raptors being feral and fucking nuts, so that's not even canon in the movies.

What I've found, more often than not (especially before the movie came out and most people ate crow re: raptor squad), people don't like the idea of trained raptors because it goes against the cold-blooded killer/predator image that they have. It's not COOL that a wild animal can be tamed...even though we have tons of evidence for it in the modern world.

Not even going to open the "raptors are reptiles" can of worms.

mantidor

What I've found, more often than not (especially before the movie came out and most people ate crow re: raptor squad), people don't like the idea of trained raptors because it goes against the cold-blooded killer/predator image that they have. It's not COOL that a wild animal can be tamed...even though we have tons of evidence for it in the modern world.

Like? I can't think of any tamed wild animal that would compare to taming raptors.

And make them protobirds then, it doesn't really change much, we couldn't tame birds if they were bigger than us and we were on their menu. We have tamed some predator mammals like lions but it doesn't go beyond circus acts, this would be like making a lion pack to follow you on a motorcycle, attack other animals but somehow not attack you, it's ridiculous.

Vanille

It had one cringe worthy line after the next, I really couldn't enjoy it at all, sorry. And I'm a huge fanboy of the original trilogy, yes even Lost World, maybe I was just too young when I saw them.

It's not just nostalgia. The first two movies actually have atmosphere and tension, which are basically non-existent in JW. Pete Postlethwaite is also way more of a badass than Pratt, and he doesn't need anyone in the movie to clumisly point it out to the audience.

Like? I can't think of any tamed wild animal that would compare to taming raptors.

And make them protobirds then, it doesn't really change much, we couldn't tame birds if they were bigger than us and we were on their menu. We have tamed some predator mammals like lions but it doesn't go beyond circus acts, this would be like making a lion pack to follow you on a motorcycle, attack other animals but somehow not attack you, it's ridiculous.

Dogs used to be wolves, and we still train wolves. Tame =/= trained.

There's still a lot we don't know about animals. We have videos of full grown lions, panthers, etc. acting like puppies to humans that they've formed bonds with.

Nev

Banned

The Lost World is a better movie than this tho, I agree with him. I'd say it's the best of the four, it just lacks the charm of the original that even JP3 manages to retain somehow. I'd agree JW is the worst out of the four too, it's just so shallow and action filled. It feels exactly like a Marvel movie: CGI galore, no character development, spectacle over substance.

JP3 has A LOT of stupid stuff, but it was much more entertaining and more "jurassic park", if that makes any sense. JW is just an alrightish monster movie.

mantidor

Dogs used to be wolves, and we still train wolves. Tame =/= trained.

There's still a lot we don't know about animals. We have videos of full grown lions, panthers, etc. acting like puppies to humans that they've formed bonds with.

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen, I'm saying that getting them to the point where they'll follow you on a motorcycle is a huge stretch.

The movie tried to explained everything with magic genetics, they should have done the same with tamed raptors, not that it would be any less ridiculous, but at least it would be consistent.

But...they weren't following him--he was following them. He gave them the scent and let them loose, then he and Omar Sy just had to try and keep up.

Average summer movie with mostly paper thin characters, some corny moments, tons of references to the original, better movie, one over the top performance by D'onofrio and a pretty good dino fight at the end. Go into it rooting for the dinos and you might enjoy it.

The director's intent died when he released the film, opening it up to my own interpretations. What I saw was impractically running from a T-rex in heels, nothing more, nothing less.

Not sure where you got that I didn't like the film BTW.

Women have mastered wearing high heels all day everyday. Performers do intense dances in them. T-Rexes were theorized to not be super fast, for risk of tipping over. She's comfortable in those shoes.

What. Is. The. Issue.

Joni

But...they weren't following him--he was following them. He gave them the scent and let them loose, then he and Omar Sy just had to try and keep up.
Indeed. They are like hunting dogs at that point.

Women have mastered wearing high heels all day everyday. Performers do intense dances in them. T-Rexes were theorized to not be super fast, for risk of tipping over. She's comfortable in those shoes.

What. Is. The. Issue.
Well, it is not realistic that the character ran on high heels despite the fact Bryce could do it in real life and wanted to do it.

mantidor

Oh you are right, it is still a stretch specially at the end, how they are spared from the blue raptor because who the hell knows, he grew a heart? Laughable.

And that reminded me the worst scene, the indomitus or whatever can suddenly speak to them and command them because DNA! Barf, that was awful, movie is awful.

Superflat

Oh you are right, it is still a stretch specially at the end, how they are spared from the blue raptor because who the hell knows, he grew a heart? Laughable.

You say this as if the film didn't set up anything before that: Owen as the acting alpha and the raptors changing alliances -- particularly because they didn't want to kill Owen.

Jawmuncher

image7pocb.jpg

From marvel

mantidor

How about some spoiler tags there, dude?

Oops sorry.

You say this as if the film didn't set up anything before that: Owen as the acting alpha and the raptors changing alliances -- particularly because they didn't want to kill Owen.

That is my problem, raptors with alliances, it's absurd.

First scenes made a little bit of sense, he trains them from above, but when he goes inside the cage anything goes and he is in danger as well, that's in line with training wild animals, of course they throw that out of the window later.

And the worst was the T Rex sparing them as well at the end... Why? Fanservice?

Overall I don't even feel is worth discussing, it's such a far-fetched scenario that I just couldn't enjoy it.

Joni

Oops sorry.

That is my problem, raptors with alliances, it's absurd.

First scenes made a little bit of sense, he trains them from above, but when he goes inside the cage anything goes and he is in danger as well, that's in line with training wild animals, of course they throw that out of the window later.

And the worst was the T Rex sparing them as well at the end... Why? Fanservice?

Overall I don't even feel is worth discussing, it's such a far-fetched scenario that I just couldn't enjoy it.
The same reason she
did that at the end of Jurassic Park.

My bet is that the next movie will be called Jurassic War. Dinosaurs unleashed in the Middle East or North Korea, and then the dinosaurs mutiny and go crazy.

And that reminded me the worst scene, the indomitus or whatever can suddenly speak to them and command them because DNA! Barf, that was awful, movie is awful.
"They remember."

You need to stop. You sound 12, and you're showing complete ignorance towards the subject (he instead of she, calling them reptiles, failing to understand pack animals and predator behavior etc).

mantidor

"They remember."

You need to stop. You sound 12, and you're showing complete ignorance towards the subject (he instead of she, calling them reptiles, failing to understand pack animals and predator behavior etc).
Is this your argument? That I call an animal the wrong gender? Lol. I'll better leave if this is the kind of discussion that goes around here.

Joni

We saw two different movies then. That does not happen in JP.
At the end of
Jurassic Park she also sneaks up on the big bad to kill her while ignoring humans. She is the hero of the franchise. Same in JP2 and 3, the ones in 2 attack because they took her kid and the one in 3 tries to take down the Spinosaurus. More realistically, she is only interested in showing her dominance and takes only down what she sees as the biggest boss. The humans that control them in part one, the raptors that control the island, the second set attacks the people that kidnapped her kid, their kid attacks the spinosaurus and Rexy does the I Rex.

Is this your argument? That I call an animal the wrong gender? Lol. I'll better leave if this is the kind of discussion that goes around here.
No it's an observation of your ignorance and lack of understanding of the source material and topics at hand and I pointed out more than just the gender.

Discussing why you didn't like it is fine, but you should still understand what they're doing without "barfing"...

I'm sorry for being so harsh. That was childish of myself.

Timu

The Lost World is a better movie than this tho, I agree with him. I'd say it's the best of the four, it just lacks the charm of the original that even JP3 manages to retain somehow. I'd agree JW is the worst out of the four too, it's just so shallow and action filled. It feels exactly like a Marvel movie: CGI galore, no character development, spectacle over substance.

JP3 has A LOT of stupid stuff, but it was much more entertaining and more "jurassic park", if that makes any sense. JW is just an alrightish monster movie.
Holy crap, I disagree with that, JP3 bored the fuck out of me along with awful death scenes besides maybe a few scenes(one which is the Pterandon attack scene). JW entertained me once the I-Rex got loose.

Also, TLW still sucks and gets much worse on repeat viewings.

Ferrio

Banned
IMAX 3d or regular dinky screen?

Not particularly fond of 3D movies because implement it horribly, is World decent enough to see in 3D?

Red Comet

Just saw it today. Pretty good. It had it's flaws (which I'm sure have been discussed here), but overall it was a fun dinosaur flick, and I thought it was the best in the series since the original.

Did anybody else half expect them at one point to reveal that the Indominus Rex
had human DNA to explain its intelligence? Really glad they didn't go down that road...

Also, I loved
Chekhov's Mosasaurus

Just came back from the theater. I had low expectations based on the trailers, but I was still impressed by how boring this movie was. Detestable characters (aside from Pratt), ridiculously futuristic themed park, dumb characters, chunky cgi, tamed raptors,
raptors and I-Rex chatting FFS
. Pretty much all I liked about the original were not in JW.

So I'd rate it right beside the other JP sequels. Just as bad.

New TV spot that is spoil city if you haven't seen it yet.

Sorry but they've all been spoil city. I'm incredibly upset by how much they showed in previews. I thought it was awesome, but my god there was just fucking nothing to discover. It was like paying to see some gaps be filled in.

Sorry but they've all been spoil city. I'm incredibly upset by how much they showed in previews. I thought it was awesome, but my god there was just fucking nothing to discover. It was like paying to see some gaps be filled in.

Helicopter crash in trailers is a huge WTF considering
it's the ONLY chopper we see in the movie (well, the mercs, too, but that's later). Once he arrives in that thing and talks about his flying lessons, I knew he was gone...which is a shame, because I liked his character/presence.

Jawmuncher

This one shows off the climax everyone has been talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom