• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elephants are known to mourn their losses. Also see dogs.

Exactly!
Thought it was just ok. I'm not a big fan of the franchise and generally hate big budget special effects heavy movies, so my review probably isn't worth much. It did manage to hold my interest however so it wasn't terrible.

Two biggest takeaways from the movie for me: -first was the insane amount of product placement. Damn near every scene had some product in it, first 30 minutes felt like an extended Starbucks ad. Throw in Jamba Juice, Mercedes, Samsung, Verizon, iPads... Who knows what else. They bombard you with ads. I'd like to know if there is any movie with more product placement, cuz this has gotta be up near the top of most ads in a feature film.
- second is end spoiler
I know the movie is full of stupid movie logic but how far did the chick run from the trex paddock to the "Main Street" area? Was the trex pen really stationed next to a fuckin margaritaville ?
seriously can't movie makers do better than that?
Other notes: how does the Asian scientist still have a job splicing Dino dna after his "they are all girls, can't breed lol" from the first one?
- fuck jimmy Fallon. Dude is annoying.

The movie was very "now" oriented. Even though the first Jurassic Park is dated, it kept most of "real world things that were happening in the 90s" out of it. I can only imagine seeing JW 20 years from now and chuckling at Jimmy Fallon and Margaritaville and so forth.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Hope its better than 3! :p
And I hope Christ Pratt actually turns out to be that chubby kid from the first one that Sam Neil scares to death with the raptor claw!

I hope this doesn't turn out true. There's billions on the planet we don't need these "Everyone is connected" things to get out of hand, it isn't Star Wars.

Fuchsdh

Exactly!

The movie was very "now" oriented. Even though the first Jurassic Park is dated, it kept most of "real world things that were happening in the 90s" out of it. I can only imagine seeing JW 20 years from now and chuckling at Jimmy Fallon and Margaritaville and so forth.

No, it really didn't. A Barbasol shave cream can, cruddy CRT images of fossil sound shadows, Jeep Wranglers, Richard Kiley, "It's a UNIX system!" and Mac Quadras all make it very much a film of its time. Which is fine. Seems to me films that try too hard to look futuristic often look the worst as time goes on.

jurassic-nedry.jpg

Maybe.

I have that Nedry, his arms rip off too. DOESN'T LOOK LIKE HIM AT ALL lol

No, it really didn't. A Barbasol shave cream can, cruddy CRT images of fossil sound shadows, Jeep Wranglers, Richard Kiley, "It's a UNIX system!" and Mac Quadras all make it very much a film of its time. Which is fine. Seems to me films that try too hard to look futuristic often look the worst as time goes on.

That's true, you're right! I guess it screamed 90s more than I thought at the moment.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Me and my wife, sister, and nephew saw it over the weekend. Really fun movie. Exceeded my expectations.

The only thing I didn't like was the Pratt/Howard
"relationship." Not everyone needs a forced romantic subplot.

thenexus6

Just saw it, have mixed feelings. For the most part it was just a pretty generic Hollywood summer movie, with predictable scenes and cheesy dialogue. I also didn't think the cinematography was very good at all. There was also so many throw backs and shots relating to the first movie that it was hard to keep count.

The final battle was awesome though, OG dinos for the win! I liked the score too. Overall very watchable but not as good as I hoped.

11% Chris Pratt for Indy he just this vibe about him and think he'd suit Indy totally.

There is also literally NO WAY another Park / World would happen in the real world. Every time its gone to shit. But I bet there'll be another park for another movie.

Pagusas

Elden Member
. I also didn't think the cinematography was very good at all.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. What are these giant blockbusters having such piss poor camera work done? So many times in the film I was aggravated by how bland it looked, especially when JP looked pretty good (color usage, composition, creative use of shadows and lighting, all done well and at some points amazingly well). Between Avengers, JW and other big Blockbusters like Hunger Games somehow cinematography has been majorly suffering.

I was disappoint. I respect people who liked it (my fiancee loved it), but I couldn't get into it. The stupidity of the plot is without equal. In JP, human greed caused the conflict. In JW, rampant stupidity causes everything.

Teens check out other members of the opposite sex.

I don't remember staring at cute girls and guys like that as a teenager. I checked people out, but I didn't stare and drool like a moron.
I just don't believe that a "too cool for school" (or even someone pretending to be to cool for school) would make himself look like Brainy from Hey Arnold around random ass girls. haha
It was just so unnecessary from a narrative perspective.
As you've stated, the assistant was a pretty young woman. It actually would have been much more organic for him to ignore his little bro while trying to talk to the cute lady right in front of him.
As it is...I just think him awkwardly staring at girls (regardless of being a straight teenage boy) was very poorly handled.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't remember staring at cute girls and guys like that as a teenager. I checked people out, but I didn't stare and drool like a moron.
I just don't believe that a "too cool for school" (or even someone pretending to be to cool for school) would make himself look like Brainy from Hey Arnold around random ass girls. haha
As you've stated, the assistant was a pretty young woman. It actually would have been much more organic for him to ignore his little bro while trying to talk to the cute lady right in front of him.
As it is...I just think him awkwardly staring at girls (regardless of being a straight teenage boy) was very poorly handled.

It made him more human, and yes I've seen TONS of teenage boys do this. Its a thing. My wife laughed when we saw it and nodded her head, this is how a lot of stupid teenage boys are. Hell even grown ass men do this (and its just as creepy as it looked in the movie).

It made him more human, and yes I've seen TONS of teenage boys do this. Its a thing. My wife laughed when we saw it and nodded her head, this is how a lot of stupid teenage boys are. Hell even grown ass men do this (and its just as creepy as it looked in the movie).

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
I don't deny that some teenage boys do this, I'm just saying I didn't feel it was well written (or well acted/directed).
This character quirk felt very forced and inorganic to me especially considering that there was a pretty young woman who supposed to be taking care of him. I also think it goes against his "too cool for school"/aloof big brother attitude in a very jarring way.
It just doesn't make sense from a narrative perspective, and doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know about the guy.

Gandalf

Honestly, didn't like it that much. The product placement was very over the top. Other films may have had similar, if not bigger amounts? But this is the most I've ever noticed. And me and my girlfriend noticed it not long into the film.

We also both agreed that we thought Bryce Dallas Howards acting was really bad.
We also both laughed out and loud when
she manages to run away from a t-rex in high heels

I could write a lot more as to why I didn't enjoy it, but I'll just say I was very disappointed.

Laieon

I'm on a Jurassic Park kick. Watched the 1st 2 movies yesterday.

I just started reading Jurassic Park for the first time, maybe 50 pages into it. Surprised at how different it is already, especially since
The beginning of The Lost World is the beginning of the book.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I just started reading Jurassic Park for the first time, maybe 50 pages into it. Surprised at how different it is already, especially since
The beginning of The Lost World is the beginning of the book.

Yeah movies 1-3 take a lot from both of those books. Yeah, even 3 a little :p The books are really neat on their own. I can't say if the book or movie is "better" than the other, because they both have their pros and cons and unique things about them. (If anything I HATE the kids in the books! Both books!)

Senoculum

Entirely disagree. I know guys and girls who did that at that age. I've seen it in Las Vegas, Disney World, airports, cruise ships, and adults in some bars and clubs. If anything, and I'm not saying this lightly, that was the most realistic part of the film. I'm sure the writer(s) applied their experiences when they were at that age.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Entirely disagree. I know guys and girls who did that at that age. I've seen it in Las Vegas, Disney World, airports, cruise ships, and adults in some bars and clubs. If anything, and I'm not saying this lightly, that was the most realistic part of the film. I'm sure the writer(s) applied their experiences when they were at that age.

Yeah I don't get how this is not believable. I'm not saying it has to apply to everyone, but some guys do this in their teens. Even when they have a girlfriend. Dating in high school was never a stable thing. Not everyone know what they want etc etc.

I'll stop the talk because this is way off course and really doesn't need to be discussed to make a HOLLYWOOD MOVIE believable or not.

Toa TAK

Banned
Claires haircut was fucking on point. She was cute in this. The slow mo running scene with the pumps was a bit much though.

BDH looked great in this movie, do doubt.

Also, back from a second viewing. This movie is a fun rewatch, like JPIII. Audience dug it, I think most of the jokes that didn't land in the Thursday night audience, landed here. People WERE NOT A FAN of
Zara's death
, lots of murmuring throughout it. But beyond that, typical stuff, applause at the end, too. More kids this time.

Another small nitpick: I really hated
Owen having military background. It's like they can't just have a regular guy be a protagonist anymore. Of course he was in the Navy. Reeked of pandering to the US audiences.
Other than that I enjoyed his character very much.
Navy has a program where they train marine mammals like dolphins and sea lions
, so it makes sense

Claire's heels are symbolism. They are highlighted, pointed out and brought to the viewer's attention and it's still being questioned? This isn't your typical teen slasher film where you yell at the on screen bimbo who's obviously struggling to run in her attire. That's showing a stupid character being stupid and dying for it.

In Jurassic World, Claire isn't meant to be the tank top, cargo pants, and army boots feminist hero everyone seems to get expect from "strong female characters". A woman can still have a fashion sense and grow into a stronger woman without the typical action hero tropes. This isn't just symbolism for Claire's stubbornness and arc, but also for the director's own views on the topic based on a conversation between he and Bryce.

ItIsOkBro

Claire's heels are symbolism. They are highlighted, pointed out and brought to the viewer's attention and it's still being questioned? This isn't your typical teen slasher film where you yell at the on screen bimbo who's obviously struggling to run in her attire. That's showing a stupid character being stupid and dying for it.

In Jurassic World, Claire isn't meant to be the tank top, cargo pants, and army boots feminist hero everyone seems to get expect from "strong female characters". A woman can still have a fashion sense and grow into a stronger woman without the typical action hero tropes. This isn't just symbolism for Claire's stubbornness and arc, but also for the director's own views on the topic based on a conversation between he and Bryce.

pile_of_shit.gif

jtb

Banned
What the director thinks is irrelevant. What matters is what's in the film.

The film "redeems" BDH's character by giving her a moment to shine at the end of the film. The problem is it's preceded by a lot of willful stupidity and dumb cliches and ultimately, it's a man (a romantic interest, no less) who ends up empowering her. I don't really see it as sexist, just cliche ridden and flat. But it sure as hell isn't empowering.

What the director thinks is irrelevant. What matters is what's in the film.

The film "redeems" BDH's character by giving her a moment to shine at the end of the film. The problem is it's preceded by a lot of willful stupidity and dumb cliches and ultimately, it's a man (a romantic interest, no less) who ends up empowering her. I don't really see it as sexist, just cliche ridden and flat. But it sure as hell isn't empowering.
It wasn't the man, she came around on her own. If anything, it was her turn that melted and empowered Owen.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
He didn't empower her. She changed herself as the terrible and savage events opened her eyes.
I-Rex escaping empowered her, losing her nephews in the "wild" of the park empowered her, watching the dino die empowered her, watching her boss and assistant die horribly empowered her, going in with the hunt empowered her. She progressively changed as the controls she relied on before crumbled, and respected nature more as it wrestled wildly from her business plans. In this she also regained her sense of value of things plain to nature itself, like her family, and yes maybe give Owen a chance.

I said it several pages ago and I'll say it again: The themes of the movie have to do with mental perspectives getting in the way of realizing the immediate realities of nature and instinct before us and inside of us. Nearly everyone in the movie had distinct issues with this separation, and Owen was simply the person who defaulted to that at the expense of everything else. This clearly wasn't a virtue until the situation became reliant on nature and instinct, and he still wasn't a powerful hero character, he was still highly vulnerable and simply aware of what could kill him while others were aloof.

He wasn't a man who saved/fixed her, and if you're seeing gender politics as the main thing like that, you're reading it into the film while missing the actual themes and the nature of their relationship, which actually does well to explain why she may have a change of attitude towards him, not just some "we did crazy shit and you're so cool, I love you!" trope.

He didn't empower her. She changed herself as the terrible and savage events opened her eyes.
I-Rex escaping empowered her, losing her nephews in the "wild" of the park empowered her, watching the dino die empowered her, watching her boss and assistant die horribly empowered her, going in with the hunt empowered her. She progressively changed as the controls she relied on before crumbled, and respected nature more as it wrestled wildly from her business plans. In this she also regained her sense of value of things plain to nature itself, like her family, and yes maybe give Owen a chance.

I said it several pages ago and I'll say it again: The themes of the movie have to do with mental perspectives getting in the way of realizing the immediate realities of nature and instinct before us and inside of us. Nearly everyone in the movie had distinct issues with this separation, and Owen was simply the person who defaulted to that at the expense of everything else. This clearly wasn't a virtue until the situation became reliant on nature and instinct, and he still wasn't a powerful hero character, he was still highly vulnerable and simply aware of what could kill him while others were aloof.

He wasn't a man who saved/fixed her, and if you're seeing gender politics as the main thing like that, you're reading it into the film while missing the actual themes and the nature of their relationship, which actually does well to explain why she may have a change of attitude towards him, not just some "we did crazy shit and you're so cool, I love you!" trope.
Well said. Or should I post a gif from a one dimensional character as a rebuttal?

Cafeman

Thought it was just ok.

Two biggest takeaways from the movie for me:
- second is end spoiler
I know the movie is full of stupid movie logic but how far did the chick run from the trex paddock to the "Main Street" area? Was the trex pen really stationed next to a fuckin margaritaville ?
seriously can't movie makers do better than that?

Wasn't the T-Rex feeding attraction right there close by?

ItIsOkBro

It's OK bro, you don't have to like the film.
Do I need to link something regarding the conversation or is that stance not one you agree with, therefore you don't like thing?

The director's intent died when he released the film, opening it up to my own interpretations. What I saw was impractically running from a T-rex in heels, nothing more, nothing less.

Not sure where you got that I didn't like the film BTW.

The director's intent died when he released the film, opening it up to my own interpretations. What I saw was impractically running from a T-rex in heels, nothing more, nothing less.

Not sure where you got that I didn't like the film BTW.
A character called her out for wearing the heels, she refused to listen, then we see a closeup of her feet as she runs.

This isn't meant to be reacted with a "dumb girl, take off your heels!". It's imagery, symbology etc. Business vs nature. Stiff vs wild, whatever. But ultimately it's just her character's trait.

"Indy, just leave the hat. It's not worth risking your life for!"

Astral Dog

It was fun. i just wish it was R because it needed more blood and suspense, premise would make for a good horror movie, for example.

also the kids were a bit annoying.

Pretty sure the decision to wear heels the whole movie was BDH's decision--I think Trevorrow had initially had her change shoes halfway through but she wanted to keep the heels.

Now, whether or not that was the best decision for the movie is another matter.

BunnyBear

After a few days I've convinced myself I really didn't like it. First impressions weren't great but after years without seeing a Hollywood film I think TV shows like Breaking Bad have ruined these blockbusters for me, the wafer-thin plot and zero character development really bothered me. Also, fuck off with the product placement please.

Ogimachi

Just saw it, have mixed feelings. For the most part it was just a pretty generic Hollywood summer movie, with predictable scenes and cheesy dialogue. I also didn't think the cinematography was very good at all. There was also so many throw backs and shots relating to the first movie that it was hard to keep count.

The final battle was awesome though, OG dinos for the win! I liked the score too. Overall very watchable but not as good as I hoped.

11% Chris Pratt for Indy he just this vibe about him and think he'd suit Indy totally.

There is also literally NO WAY another Park / World would happen in the real world. Every time its gone to shit. But I bet there'll be another park for another movie.
I wouldn't like to see the same story all over again, but I think it could still happen in the real world. Some poor, small country with corrupt officials and stuff would definitely welcome the investment (and bribes).

The started a plot with dinos as weapon research and there's enough room to use that in a sequel. I'd say the most likely move is that they'll build another park that's not open to the public but would still work as a research facility for InGen. Then the protagonists would find out about it and try to use the dinosaurs against them to destroy/expose their research.

Toa TAK

Banned

Well said.

Toa TAK

Banned
Pretty sure the decision to wear heels the whole movie was BDH's decision--I think Trevorrow had initially had her change shoes halfway through but she wanted to keep the heels.

Now, whether or not that was the best decision for the movie is another matter.
Haha, yeah, I remember reading that and going "Alriiiight if you wanna."

Superflat

RLM review with a small plot spoiler segment that they warn you about.

Mike loved the movie, Jay is on the fence. It's one of the few times they are on totally different sides of the fence and it's a good discussion. Surprised by how much Mike enjoyed it actually.

brandonh83, I know you're not hot on RLM's usual cynicism but you'll like this one :p

edit: Listening to RLM's Jurassic Park commentary track and loving it. Having watched JW, Sony and Bethesda's E3 conference and rewatching JP with this commentary, the past week has been like Christmas, but better.

Vanille

Mike loved the movie, Jay is on the fence. It's one of the few times they are on totally different sides of the fence and it's a good discussion. Surprised by how much Mike enjoyed it actually.

brandonh83, I know you're not hot on RLM's usual cynicism but you'll like this one :p

edit: Listening to RLM's Jurassic Park commentary track and loving it. Having watched JW, Sony and Bethesda's E3 conference and rewatching JP with this commentary, the past week has been like Christmas, but better.

Mike has officially jumped the shark.

FafaFooey

Went to see it a second time. Still loved every bit of it, even though the movie obviously has flaws. I'll be the first to admit a lot of my love for the movie comes from cheap nostalgic feelings.

Only thing that bothered me during the second viewing is
how much the T Rex doesn't look like "the" T Rex we know and love. When paddock 9 gets opened and she steps into the light, they shouldve used an animatronic head. The scream wasn't quite as badass as in Jurassic Park and there are shots where Rex basically looks like a cartoon character.

I was listening to the /Film cast and one of the hosts, Jeff Cannata, who is usually very critical of leaps of logic/bad writing. He noted how surprised he was at being able to look past that and enjoy the movie.

It's an insanely divisive film. Almost every other opinion contradicts the one before it, haha. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom