• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
JW feels like a "futuristic" JP to me. I think that's the best way of wording it. TLW even though I have a love-hate relationship with it being so long + San Diego, feels more like Jurassic Safari. Just... different overall. JP3 just feels like crappy threequel with dinosaurs and Barney (well, referring to the t-rex puppet, and then I remembered Barney is actually in the darn movie!)

Jurassic World feels like a Jurassic Park movie but it doesn't feel like the first one. The Lost World feels like a darker and clumsier version of the first without the park aspect.

edit: I do think it's totally different, which I've been trying to argue but I get a lot of well Jurassic World has kids and dinosaurs and raptors and blah blah so it's a copy of the first one

I really need to see this movie again, either tonight or tomorrow.

Jurassic World feels like a Jurassic Park movie but it doesn't feel like the first one. The Lost World feels like a darker and clumsier version of the first without the park aspect.

edit: I do think it's totally different, which I've been trying to argue but I get a lot of well Jurassic World has kids and dinosaurs and raptors and blah blah so it's a copy of the first one

It's the internet, people always deal in extremes.

Either way, I am not arguing against the film and agree with your statements. Well, other than JP3 being better than TLW. That one is still a head scratcher for me.

Jurassic world feels tonally like JP1 and it's not just going back to Nublar. The style is pretty consistent just more futuristic.

JP3 is just more fun to me with more likable characters and to the point action. It has dumb things but for me I have way more problems with TLW. Spielberg's ace directing is let down by its stupid characters, script, story, the entire climax is awful and just about every good scene is ruined by something stupid. It also has a number of entirely useless scenes like Dieter managing to get lost by going to take a piss and comically ends up like three miles from the group and slayed by compies when all he had to do was leak behind the nearest tree and he's in a fucking jungle.

It's just a bad, bad film to me. Yes JP3 has its moments of bad, but it's short and doesn't manage to bullshit nearly as much as TLW. That's about the best way I can explain it.

Verger

Banned
JP3 is just more fun to me with more likable characters and to the point action. It has dumb things but for me I have way more problems with TLW. Spielberg's ace directing is let down by its stupid characters, script, story, the entire climax is awful and just about every good scene is ruined by something stupid. It also has a number of entirely useless scenes like Dieter managing to get lost by going to take a piss and comically ends up like three miles from the group and slayed by compies when all he had to do was leak behind the nearest tree and he's in a fucking jungle.

It's just a bad, bad film to me. Yes JP3 has its moments of bad, but it's short and doesn't manage to bullshit nearly as much as TLW. That's about the best way I can explain it.
Co-signed. Pretty much echoed my thoughts on the film when I rewatched it recently. The characters were just so dumb and stupid and not in a good way too.

JP3 may also be stupid, but it doesn't overstay its welcome as TLW does and is quick and over without much lulls in the action.

Co-signed. Pretty much echoed my thoughts on the film when I rewatched it recently. The characters were just so dumb and stupid and not in a good way too.

JP3 may also be stupid, but it doesn't overstay its welcome as TLW does and is quick and over without much lulls in the action.

I think TLW has better directing but that doesn't result in a better movie every time.

Fuchsdh

The most bizarre part of that scene, rewatching it, is that the guy on headphones is sitting basically five feet from the rest of the group. So no one else somehow heard Dieter say he was going to the bathroom either.

The most bizarre part of that scene, rewatching it, is that the guy on headphones is sitting basically five feet from the rest of the group. So no one else somehow heard Dieter say he was going to the bathroom either.

It's funny because he was Mexican and was listening to Mexican music. He was a bit fat too. Because everything in TLW is a joke.

Jarmel

Banned
Jurassic world feels tonally like JP1 and it's not just going back to Nublar. The style is pretty consistent just more futuristic.

lol no

I watched Park right after and the films are very different tonally and what message they want to portray. JP1 was very much about the beauty of the dinosaurs even after they started eating people while World is a horror movie through and through.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah, count me in the camp that knows that JW has a completely different feeling and tone compared to the first film (and the rest as well).

That's not at all a bad thing, it helps JW stand on its own.

lol no

I watched Park right after and the films are very different tonally and what message they want to portray. JP1 was very much about the beauty of the dinosaurs even after they started eating people while World is a horror movie through and through.

When the kids see the mossaur for the first time and then go on the gyrosphere tour the sense of wonder is definitely there. Though I will say most of the sense of wonder this film creates is that the park finally got built and open to the public. The first big scene where the music swells is when the kid opens the hotel windows and the camera pans over the resort and everyone's like whoaaaa John Hammonds dream realized!

Jarmel

Banned
When the kids see the mosaur for the first time and then go on the gyrosphere tour the sense of wonder is definitely there. Though I will say most of the sense of wonder this film creates is that the park finally got built and open to the public. The first big scene where the music swells is when the kid opens the hotel windows and the camera pans over the resort and everyone's like whoaaaa John Hammonds dream realized!

Well to start, the whole point of JP1 was that Hammond couldn't realize his dream. That was the reason why Ellie and Hammond got into the argument over the flea circus. Much of JP1's runtime is spent not only on how the Park runs but whether it should or not. It's a lot more philosophical than World.

Then we have the sequences like Grant feeding the herbivore after the T-Rex scene or Grant and the kids watching the herd of dinosaurs running around shortly after. The movie tries to portray them as animals just like any other. There are multiple sequences where the movie slows down to take in the majesty of the dinosaurs rather than having them eat people.

It's a very different movie than Jurassic World.

mreddie

Finally saw it, it was ok but I had problems with it.. I did like Tony Stark Jr. since he had the kid like wonder of seeing Jurassic World and I did like Owen even though his lines were a bit iffy. Everything else I'll post in the spoiler thread.

3.5/5 - It's ok, I wouldn't rush to see this though.

I still have the beef of them thinking dinosaurs getting boring after a while. It just bugs me.

Jawmuncher

It is funny to see how much money the movie is making and see none of that correspond to how big it is on GAF. Such a odd parallel compared to marvel threads here for example.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just saw it for the first time and was pleasantly surprised.

And goddamn the actress that played Claire is attractive.

Brakke

Banned
Saw it today. It's so weirdly soulless. That poor assistant bimbo just got *ruined* that shit wasn't called for. That not-Jon Favreau guy was so poorly sketched. Cutting off his speech
so he could get eaten was a cute beat but also they dispensed with him so abruptly
. He never got to the point of actually being menacing, just a limp character

There were a bunch of times where people were just knuckleheads. Pratt says "don't turn your back to the cage" *while* facing away from the cage? The Big Bro scolded the Hot Aunt for lying to the Little Bro but like lying was pretty much the only thing he did? I dunno I guess there's a read where he used to lie to the kid when he didn't care about him but now they have a bound so he respects him?? Too bad none of that is in the text... Also I expect this one's a meme already but man it was ridiculous that Hot Aunt didn't grab some sneaks or at least break off her heels.

Picking up the Dinoaurs Ruled The World banner was indulgent and totally unnecessary. Likewise breaking that ball, the kids looking up at the Dino with their legs above their heads, dead but for a pane of plastiglass? Yeah, we know, we saw Jurassoc Park.

I had a hard time keeping track of space. Not-Jon Favreau was at the raptor pen then the control center then the beach then the raptor then the... Dude was just bouncing all over the place. Why was there even a beach? Why did Black Sidekick follow him there?

Big Bros lusty leering was off, too. The first time we see him he's all goofy lovey dovey then he's making eyes at every girl who exists? They didn't really develop anything with that either, he just simply stopped encountering girls.

Good effects work on those raptors. V expressive.

Worth the price of admission I guess. It's a blockbuster with a dinofight, it's got a dude babe and a ladybabe, landed a few good one liners and jokes. Overall limp, definitely didn't leave an impression on me. I'll have forgotten this movie completely in about three days, tops.

Superflat

Saw it today. It's so weirdly soulless. That
poor assistant bimbo
just got *ruined* that shit wasn't called for. That not-Jon Favreau guy was so poorly sketched.
Cutting off his speech so he could get eaten was a cute beat but also they dispensed with him so abruptly
. He never got to the point of actually being menacing, just a limp character

There were a bunch of times where people were just knuckleheads. Pratt says "don't turn your back to the cage" *while* facing away from the cage? The Big Bro scolded the Hot Aunt for lying to the Little Bro but like lying was pretty much the only thing he did? I dunno I guess there's a read where he used to lie to the kid when he didn't care about him but now they have a bound so he respects him?? Too bad none of that is in the text... Also I expect this one's a meme already but man it was ridiculous that Hot Aunt didn't grab some sneaks or at least break off her heels.

Picking up the Dinoaurs Ruled The World banner was indulgent and totally unnecessary. Likewise breaking that ball, the kids looking up at the Dino with their legs above their heads, dead but for a pane of plastiglass? Yeah, we know, we saw Jurassoc Park.

I had a hard time keeping track of space. Not-Jon Favreau was at the raptor pen then the control center then the beach then the raptor then the... Dude was just bouncing all over the place. Why was there even a beach? Why did Black Sidekick follow him there?

Big Bros lusty leering was off, too. The first time we see him he's all goofy lovey dovey then he's making eyes at every girl who exists? They didn't really develop anything with that either, he just simply stopped encountering girls.

Good effects work on those raptors. V expressive.

Worth the price of admission I guess. It's a blockbuster with a dinofight, it's got a dude babe and a ladybabe, landed a few good one liners and jokes. Overall limp, definitely didn't leave an impression on me. I'll have forgotten this movie completely in about three days, tops.

I'd spoiler tag some of those sentences, this isn't the spoiler thread :U

The movie's not gonna please everyone. In fact I'm quite surprised critics and JP fans are generally as positive as they are on it. Even following the interviews and minor spoilers I was surprised to find that the film was different than how I thought it could (maybe even "should") be. It's a Trevorrow film through and through, and has a very unique identity that borrows hardly any of the beats, style or pacing of the original or even its sequels that more or less tried to be similar in tone. The film lacks true dread and seriousness, and has a light tone overall --
which is why the assistant's prolonged death sticks out like a sore thumb
, and I'll agree that the film really didn't call for it. The callbacks to the original JP was a tiny part of the film, and the film overall has more new and interesting ideas in it than both of its sequels put together.

As for the brothers, which seems to be your main complaint (or at least the bulk of it), didn't bother me at all, and stood out as one of the stronger elements of the film, character wise. What do you mean by "The Big Bro scolded the Hot Aunt for lying to the Little Bro but like lying was pretty much the only thing he did"?

As for the older brother and his girlfriend, the movie makes it VERY clear that he's not into her. There is no "he's all goofy lovey dovey" scene in the film, only a "he's totally not into this relationship" scene.

I'll agree that the film really lacks a consistent or even a decent sense of geography and location. It jumps all around the island and it's hard to tell where anyone is in relation to each other and different parts of the park.

Brakke

Banned
When they're in the van thing, little bro asks if everything is going to be ok or whatever and the aunt says yeah everyone will be fine and then big bro says "you shouldn't lie to him".

The bro dynamics were actually pretty ok. Their banter was p natural and they had some good zingers. But the relationship development was pretty flat. Big bro is aloof until he just... isn't? When he made that joke about little bro jumping that was kind of cool because that was clearly significant to them but we didn't know it and it's nice for brothers to share secret things. But I'd have liked to be in on *something* along with them.

I suppose that first scene could be have been to say that Big Bro wasn't into his gf. But then like. He's still a dude stringing along a girl who he isn't into? It's not a big deal, whatever he's 15, teenagers are horny and their relationships don't have stakes. It's fine, it's just why have this as a recurring element of the film if you're not going to actually examine it at all? There's his parents' pending divorce, the girlfriend, the giggle girls he leers at. I feel like some version of the script must have made that all add up to something, but the film didn't.

Pratt and Howard relationship was limp, too. They established a clear tension between them and then just immediately abandoned it when the shit hit the fan. Hot Aunt just literally rolled up her sleeves and became an action star immediately. The moral of the story between those two is... abandon everything that got you this successful career for the sake of appealing to the handsome dude? She adapts to him but he doesn't do anything to adapt to her. And her established characteristics don't harm her nor hinder her during any action scene.

The action never develops characters, they're all just disassociative set pieces(?). Those soldiers didn't get killed because their style or their values were different than Pratt's, they got killed because they happened to not be in the center of the formation or because the dino just happened to go for them first. The raptors
showing loyalty to him was cool but also not really motivated. Why did they abandon him for the indominus in the first place? What about their second encounter made them change their minds? Gotta have the indominus disrespect the raptors or something. Have Pratt risk himself for their sake or whatever. Show that Pratt is a worthier alpha.

Didn't take them that long but here's the LE Blu-Ray statue.

10354946_938292889548928_630363232959379018_n.jpg
I want that, but can't seem to justify the spending required to get it
When they're in the van thing, little bro asks if everything is going to be ok or whatever and the aunt says yeah everyone will be fine and then big bro says "you shouldn't lie to him".

The bro dynamics were actually pretty ok. Their banter was p natural and they had some good zingers. But the relationship development was pretty flat. Big bro is aloof until he just... isn't? When he made that joke about little bro jumping that was kind of cool because that was clearly significant to them but we didn't know it and it's nice for brothers to share secret things. But I'd have liked to be in on *something* along with them.

I suppose that first scene could be have been to say that Big Bro wasn't into his gf. But then like. He's still a dude stringing along a girl who he isn't into? It's not a big deal, whatever he's 15, teenagers are horny and their relationships don't have stakes. It's fine, it's just why have this as a recurring element of the film if you're not going to actually examine it at all? There's his parents' pending divorce, the girlfriend, the giggle girls he leers at. I feel like some version of the script must have made that all add up to something, but the film didn't.
My biggest issue with the kids is that
their little subplot had no point or resolution. They don't love their aunt anymore and their parents don't get undivorced.
I understand what the point of them is, but ultimately they feel pointless.
Are we seriously discussing bro dynamics for a Dino film?

JW delivered on the Dinos and it's why JW > JP2 > JP > JP3.

Bro dynamics are always important.

Superflat

I want that, but can't seem to justify the spending required to get it

My biggest issue with the kids is that
their little subplot had no point or resolution. They don't love their aunt anymore and their parents don't get undivorced.
I understand what the point of them is, but ultimately they feel pointless.

Bro dynamics are always important.

I didn't think that their arc/subplot heavily involved any external character; only between themselves.
The brother has a distinct change of heart from being aloof and making his own fun (by running away from the nanny) when the younger brother confirms that their parents are getting divorced. The divorce isn't in the film as a problem to be solved; divorces are something kids have zero control over. The brother tries to play it cool at first, but in the Gyrosphere he makes a more concerted effort to cheer his brother up.

The film has its small moments of redeeming Claire in their eyes with her wielding the tranq gun (or was it a real rifle?) to save Owen, and going out to drag the T-Rex into the final fight; not to mention her newfound sense of being a protector, keeping herself close to the brothers and making them top priority as soon as they meet up halfway through the movie.

Pratt and Howard relationship was limp, too. They established a clear tension between them and then just immediately abandoned it when the shit hit the fan. Hot Aunt just literally rolled up her sleeves and became an action star immediately. The moral of the story between those two is... abandon everything that got you this successful career for the sake of appealing to the handsome dude? She adapts to him but he doesn't do anything to adapt to her. And her established characteristics don't harm her nor hinder her during any action scene.

The action never develops characters, they're all just disassociative set pieces(?). Those soldiers didn't get killed because their style or their values were different than Pratt's, they got killed because they happened to not be in the center of the formation or because the dino just happened to go for them first. The raptors
showing loyalty to him was cool but also not really motivated. Why did they abandon him for the indominus in the first place? What about their second encounter made them change their minds? Gotta have the indominus disrespect the raptors or something. Have Pratt risk himself for their sake or whatever. Show that Pratt is a worthier alpha.

I feel like a couple set-pieces are very disconnected and serve little purpose other than action (the I-Rex attack on the aviary/
killing Masrani
and pteranodons terorrizing the park for example), but pretty much all the others were significant enough to the story. The deaths of the soldiers/ACU did serve purpose: ACU's situation showed how unprepared and naive they were in the presence of the Dom and its abilities;
As for inGEN soldiers, the film specifically showed Charlie eviscerate a soldier, and not immediately attack Owen (before getting blown to bits). She gets killed before the audience gets to find out if she would have killed Owen or not, but in the next raptor encounter it shows that Blue is not willing to kill Owen, and the pack follows suit.

Brakke

Banned
Remember when Pratt chides Howard by saying "relationships are about mutual respect" but then in the context of their relationship he only kisses her *after* she does a him-ly thing (being good at violence), and he never really recognizes nor respects her as a detail/schedule-oriented person?

Superflat

Remember when Pratt chides Howard by saying "relationships are about mutual respect" but then in the context of their relationship he only kisses her *after* she does a him-ly thing (being good at violence), and he never really recognizes nor respects her as a detail/schedule-oriented person?

I don't think he was refusing to respect her uptightness. He was responding to Claire refusing to call the dinosaurs anything other than "assets" and talking about them like they're not real animals; and that's something the film needed to change her perspective on. He chides her in saying "that's why we never got a second date" but that's a comedy bit more than anything, while also exposing that they had a brief history.

I didn't think that their arc/subplot heavily involved any external character; only between themselves.
The brother has a distinct change of heart from being aloof and making his own fun (by running away from the nanny) when the younger brother confirms that their parents are getting divorced. The divorce isn't in the film as a problem to be solved; divorces are something kids have zero control over. The brother tries to play it cool at first, but in the Gyrosphere he makes a more concerted effort to cheer his brother up.

The film has its small moments of redeeming Claire in their eyes with her wielding the tranq gun (or was it a real rifle?) to save Owen, and going out to drag the T-Rex into the final fight; not to mention her newfound sense of being a protector, keeping herself close to the brothers and making them top priority as soon as they meet up halfway through the movie.
But
even after the tranq gun moment, they still pick Owen over her. I suppose I can buy that the arc is ultimately about them, though. Still, it's a rather unsatisfying resolution in my eyes, given the huge amount of focus on them. There should have been a greater resolution involving them a given that.

Brakke

Banned
I mean that exchange demonstrates that he has a deeper emotional connection with those dinosaurs than he does with her. We get the sense he's only into her because she's hot and he's most excited by her when she's performing him. When he approaches the raptors he's respectful and scared and he's in awe of them. He just dismisses Howard's quirks and sort of nullifies her personality.

Straight up, he should have kissed Blue.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It was a fun movie, I enjoyed it a lot, but it was pretty dumb. The explanations they gave for certain plot points were ridiculous

raptors better than robots for war because robots can't search caves.... What?

the thing about the indomonous being part raptor... Why would they want to hide that? I didn't even understand what that meant. Hell, why would they want to hide any of its parts?

how smart the indomonous was. It's entire escape plan hinged on it understanding that there was thermal imaging trained on it, and understanding the concept of a distraction.

how the indomonous escaped. Why would you assume it left the pen so readily and not consider that the thermal imaging broke? Or, that this animal who is made up of a lot of other animals maybe is weird? Maybe double check it's lojack BEFORE you walk into it's cage? Or even then, how could that indomonous have gotten out of the containment without ANYONE noticing? There were people outside! Like a lot.

I could go on for a while. The movie was dumb enough that after the first few incidents like this I let my brain check out and just enjoyed the dinosaurs.

It was a fun movie, I enjoyed it a lot, but it was pretty dumb. The explanations they gave for certain plot points were ridiculous
how smart the indomonous was. It's entire escape plan hinged on it understanding that there was thermal imaging trained on it, and understanding the concept of a distraction.
Raptors are as smart as primates in this universe, and Indominus was part raptor. And in real life, elephants are smart enough to "pick" the locks of their cages and crows can understand traffic patterns to use cars to crush open nuts.
. It's not that much of a leap

Ultryx

Saw it last night with the girlfriend and some of her family. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I would even see it again. There are obvious issues with plot here and there and some stretching of ideas, but it's a fucking movie.

It was great. I would recommend.

I finally got around to seeing this movie last night, I went to a 9:30PM showing that ended at midnight. Oh boy, now where do I begin with this one? The movie was OK up to a point, but at the same time it was full of stupid coincidences, inconsistencies and plot holes. It was fun as a big dumb monster movie, but there wasn't anything beyond that.

Chris Pratt was barely passable, Bryce Dallas Howard was kind of annoying and the two kids were beyond cliche. The rest of the cast were... just kind of there. I have nothing really constructive to say about any of them.

Lots of stupid moments in the movie: The gyroscopic hamster ball wheel ride, it sounds neat in concept, but in reality it makes no sense as an attraction ride.
The sequence where the gyroscopic ball was getting battered around by an ankylosaurus was kind of neat, but everything after that with the Indominus Rex was kind of stupid
. Later on,
the kids finding and 20 year old Jurassic Park Jeep YJ or whatever and somehow managing to get it to run, despite it sitting in the same spot for 20 years. All it needed was a battery? Bullshit.
Bryce Dallas's character
imitating Alan Grant with the road flairs was also idiotic. How would this business woman even know how to do this? How did she outrun a T-rex in high heels while they could barely escape it in a Jeep in the original movie? Why was the T-Rex just standing there at the gate like it had nothing better to do? "You see a Tyrannosaur doesn't follow a set pattern or park schedules" as said by Jeff Goldblum in the original movie. Why did the door for the T-Rex pen lead into the visitors area in the park? What kind of mad man designed this place?
Vincent D'Onofrio's
character and motivations were cartoon villain silly. Weaponize the raptors? What?

These are just random things I am picking out, I could add so much more, but there is a lot to process in this movie. A few things that I did like: The Indominus Rex was an interesting idea to a point, though it made no sense that they would make this super advanced hunting machine for an attraction. They did infarct address the lack of feathers in this movie by explaining that these dinosaurs were mutants to begin with. It was explained that the frog DNA spliced in with the Dino DNA most likely made all dinosaurs look more reptilian. Chris Pratt's character training Raptors was... well it wasn't quite as stupid as I thought it would be. It was somewhat interesting.

Overall I wanted to like this movie more, but it was hard for me to lose myself into it when there were so many stupid things going on in the movie. I just couldn't suspend my believe enough to make it work like the original movie did.

knkng

the thing about the indomonous being part raptor... Why would they want to hide that? I didn't even understand what that meant. Hell, why would they want to hide any of its parts?

It turned out at the end of the movie that it was actually being created under instruction from the military (or InGen, whatever they were called). Presumably they wanted to keep it's capabilities secret?

It still makes no sense, since the large one would have been a public attraction anyways. Really, everything involving the InGen people was eye rolling stupidity. Yet oddly enough I still really enjoyed this movie. It was fun and self aware enough that the dumb stuff didn't really bother me too much.

I finally got around to seeing this movie last night, I went to a 9:30PM showing that ended at midnight. Oh boy, now where do I begin with this one? The movie was OK up to a point, but at the same time it was full of stupid coincidences, inconsistencies and plot holes. It was fun as a big dumb monster movie, but there wasn't anything beyond that.

Chris Pratt was barely passable, Bryce Dallas Howard was kind of annoying and the two kids were beyond cliche. The rest of the cast were... just kind of there. I have nothing really constructive to say about any of them.

Lots of stupid moments in the movie: The gyroscopic hamster ball wheel ride, it sounds neat in concept, but in reality it makes no sense as an attraction ride.
The sequence where the gyroscopic ball was getting battered around by an ankylosaurus was kind of neat, but everything after that with the Indominus Rex was kind of stupid
. Later on,
the kids finding and 20 year old Jurassic Park Jeep YJ or whatever and somehow managing to get it to run, despite it sitting in the same spot for 20 years. All it needed was a battery? Bullshit.
Bryce Dallas's character
imitating Alan Grant with the road flairs was also idiotic. How would this business woman even know how to do this? How did she outrun a T-rex in high heels while they could barely escape it in a Jeep in the original movie? Why was the T-Rex just standing there at the gate like it had nothing better to do? "You see a Tyrannosaur doesn't follow a set pattern or park schedules" as said by Jeff Goldblum in the original movie. Why did the door for the T-Rex pen lead into the visitors area in the park? What kind of mad man designed this place?
Vincent D'Onofrio's
character and motivations were cartoon villain silly. Weaponize the raptors? What?

These are just random things I am picking out, I could add so much more, but there is a lot to process in this movie. A few things that I did like: The Indominus Rex was an interesting idea to a point, though it made no sense that they would make this super advanced hunting machine for an attraction. They did infarct address the lack of feathers in this movie by explaining that these dinosaurs were mutants to begin with. It was explained that the frog DNA spliced in with the Dino DNA most likely made all dinosaurs look more reptilian. Chris Pratt's character training Raptors was... well it wasn't quite as stupid as I thought it would be. It was somewhat interesting.

Overall I wanted to like this movie more, but it was hard for me to lose myself into it when there were so many stupid things going on in the movie. I just couldn't suspend my believe enough to make it work like the original movie did.

About the T-Rex thing, did you not notice them using a flair to get the Rex to eat the goat? This must have been a daily thing to get the Rex where they wanted it. I'm sure this business woman caught on.

And they keep their main attraction close by. No biggie

Superflat

Maybe it's just me but logic leaps are usually the least of a film's problems, and Jurassic World only has a few of key ones that are really in your face. People can type in caps about high heels or starting a old car by changing the battery all they want, but that shit seriously never bothered me, nor did they matter in the larger scheme of things. The alternative is that Claire took off her shoes, and the boys did a "logical" amount of work on the jeep and got out. The film does not change as a result.

About the T-Rex thing, did you not notice them using a flair to get the Rex to eat the goat? This must have been a daily thing to get the Rex where they wanted it. I'm sure this business woman caught on.

Huh, I didn't notice the flare earlier in the movie. It still seems a bit silly that they would be doing this though in a multi-billion dollar park where they could come up with much better methods to do this.

In the original Jurassic Park we saw two variations on this, one from Grant who stayed perfectly still and managed to distract the T-Rex with a flare, and the second with Malcom who failed miserably and was almost eaten.
Claire almost pulls off something like Malcom in the movie. Maybe the T-Rex is just getting lazy in his old years?

And they keep their main attraction close by. No biggie

But with a gate that has direct access to where all the tourists hang out, with no separation between them?

Maybe it's just me but logic leaps are usually the least of a film's problems, and Jurassic World only has a few of key ones that are really in your face. People can type in caps about high heels or starting a old car by changing the battery all they want, but that shit seriously never bothered me, nor did they matter in the larger scheme of things. The alternative is that Claire took off her shoes, and the boys did a "logical" amount of work on the jeep and got out. The film does not change as a result.

Shoes or no shoes, it just silly that anyone can outrun a T-Rex down a straight stretch of road.
The kids fixing a Jeep just bothers me, because I have tried doing this kind of thing before. The Jeep would have never just fired right up. The gas lines would be corroded and the gas itself would need to be siphoned out because it would be the equivalent to turpentine by that point. They would need some fresh tires too. But yeah it would be easy to write that off as "kids know how to fix a jeep, because of movie logic".

But yeah, these are things that I am pulling out of the script that I am being critical about. There is a lot more in the movie that I was just pulling apart in my mind too. For me the script was part of the problem. The directing was OK, I suppose, there were a few cool looking shots here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom