• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Just came out of the cinema. I'm a little bit disappointed but didn't have any expectations before the showing.

The thing is, I thought it was immensely boring, to the point were I could have literally fallen asleep twice if it wasn't for the buddy I had with me. And that have not happened much in the times I have gone to the cinema through the years. The humor felt right out flat as well.

It didn't have much of the atmosphere of the first movie which was more intense and scary. While this one was colorful, a little on the science fictional side of things and with no real intensity. The plot were simple, straight forward and never sucked me in.

:(

Very dissapointed from this movie.
The first half was a great nostalgia bomb, but the second half became insanely stupid, the final showdown was the stupidest thing ive seen. World can be happy that JP3 is even worse.

That's exactly how I felt when I left the theater. First half good, back half awful. I described the final fight scene to my friends as "exactly what I would have made up when I was 5, playing with my dinosaur toys".

I suppose that may be what they were going for: something that will sell toys to 5-year-olds. But Jurassic Park did that exceptionally well, and it didn't have to be written by a 5-year-old to do so. It also spawned dozens of magazine articles about the possibility of cloning dinosaurs specifically, to the state of paleontology in general (some of which I still have), something this new movie will not do.

Jurassic Park was a phenomenon. Jurassic World is just a movie.

The end fight represented nature. The story was about how they created something unnatural and that was woven throughout in several ways, such as Lowery defending the first park because it didn't need this hybrid, it just needed dinosaurs. The finale brought this together and was symbolic of the themes pumping through the story's blood. It was also meant for fun, yes.

Manu

That's exactly how I felt when I left the theater. First half good, back half awful. I described the final fight scene to my friends as "exactly what I would have made up when I was 5, playing with my dinosaur toys".

Let me remind you how the first movie ended with the T-Rex saving the day by sneaking into the visitors center without making a noise, and attacking and killing the raptors while conveniently ignoring the defenseless humans, giving them time to escape.

Angel_DvA

Well the movie was ok at best, visual effects were terrible, the ending was bad as hell, the final battle was meh and I don't want to mention the Raptors are our friends shitty parts, Claire was hot, the boys were useless... well it's a (bad)summer movie.

the nostalgia was here though, love the music, love the first part of the movie but it doesn't deserve to be at 1.300.000$ though.

Let me remind you how the first movie ended with the T-Rex saving the day by sneaking into the visitors center without making a noise, and attacking and killing the raptors while conveniently ignoring the defenseless humans, giving them time to escape.

Yes, a scene that lasted 20 seconds and required some suspension of disbelief, like any Hollywood film.

This one had a drawn-out fight including
the raptors playing double agent, the T-Rex being tagged in deliberately, and a Mosasaurus doing a finishing move
. It doesn't even compare. It's a single sucker punch vs. a Wrestlemania match.

Big One

Banned
I realize with this movie what noticeably felt distinct and unique is that instead of being an adventure movie, it's more focused on being an action movie. Which imo is great, cause I feel like three adventure movies in a row has kind of played it's part, especially when only one is all that great.

For someone to encompass the "World" so to speak the stakes need to be higher than ever before (especially with the movie's subplot possibly leading to a sequel). I think for the most part this movie accomplished this factor. There's a lot of stupid scenes in it but it's not like the original Jurassic Park was perfect all the time either in that regard, so I can forgive it.

Jawmuncher

Finall got to see it. Really enjoyed it, was basically the sort of sequel I would have made. Not perfect but very enjoyable. I'll be seeing it again for sure.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I realize with this movie what noticeably felt distinct and unique is that instead of being an adventure movie, it's more focused on being an action movie. Which imo is great, cause I feel like three adventure movies in a row has kind of played it's part, especially when only one is all that great.

For someone to encompass the "World" so to speak the stakes need to be higher than ever before (especially with the movie's subplot possibly leading to a sequel). I think for the most part this movie accomplished this factor. There's a lot of stupid scenes in it but it's not like the original Jurassic Park was perfect all the time either in that regard, so I can forgive it.

Eh, World and JPIII don't really deserve to be called Adventure movies.

They're all adventure movies. People go on adventures in them. JP3 was almost 100% adventure as they cover a good distance across the island and Jurassic World had the excursion with the kids. They're not Lord of the Rings, but adventure nonetheless.

Monocle

That was great but I honestly liked the presence of Giacchino's new theme more as it gave it its own identity. It was good that the old themes appeared, but I'm glad he didn't rely on them. When they played it was sensible, but I liked the new theme a LOT.
Yes! His new theme fits so well. It is sweeping and majestic befitting the true realization of John Hammond's dream in this park. I especially loved how they showed the Hammond statue front and center in the main building. There was no doubt that even if Masrani was now in charge it was still Hammond's dream.

But I thought the traditional verse was used very well in that segment when they open the shades and we get a full aerial view of the grandeur of the Park. Everyone in my theater was getting misty eyed for sure.

I actually think this song is one of Giacchino's best. It's like one of his old LOST songs in that it hits you right in the feels at the right time with what is on screen. One of the most "magical" on screen moments of film.

Can't speak enough of what a great job he did.
I want to second this. I absolutely love the new theme. Probably one of my all time favorites at this point, honestly. It captures the grandeur of the park and the visitors' sense of awe so well.

I want to second this. I absolutely love the new theme. Probably one of my all time favorites at this point, honestly. It captures the grandeur of the park and the visitors' sense of awe so well.

For me it's probably just as great as the older themes and I am not saying that lightly. So glad Giacchino doesn't need to rely on what came before. That's what makes him such a standout composer.

It's not even just that. The family theme, the raptor theme, the INGEN theme, and Indominus' themes are also exceptionally memorable. Dude just nailed it and that's all there is to it.

If he doesn't come back I'll be in considerable distress. Someone has got to carry those themes over; there's already an established theme for the military angle as well as the raptors and I'm assuming those things will be prevalent in the next one.

soepje

Saw is yesterday. I think it was entertaining for what it was but some of the stuff was too out there
How would it know what a tracking device is?? And that bodytemperature and camouflage stuff was really a bit to much
. The end was pretty weak too imo, but I really liked how they put the park together. Would visit if it really existed :D

vanty

Just saw it. Probably the worst movie I can remember seeing at a cinema. I can't really think of anything good to say about it. I heard people saying "at least the dinosaur stuff is fun" but no, not really.

T'Zariah

Banned
Just saw it. Probably the worst movie I can remember seeing at a cinema. I can't really think of anything good to say about it. I heard people saying "at least the dinosaur stuff is fun" but no, not really.

Thought I accidentally clicked on the Terminator Thread

Monocle

For me it's probably just as great as the older themes and I am not saying that lightly. So glad Giacchino doesn't need to rely on what came before. That's what makes him such a standout composer.

It's not even just that. The family theme, the raptor theme, the INGEN theme, and Indominus' themes are also exceptionally memorable. Dude just nailed it and that's all there is to it.

If he doesn't come back I'll be in considerable distress. Someone has got to carry those themes over; there's already an established theme for the military angle as well as the raptors and I'm assuming those things will be prevalent in the next one.
Yes! Giacchino simply has to return for the sequel. He really did outdo himself with JW's score.

I can't tell if this is internet hyperbole or if your for real

You must not have been in a cinema for the past two decades than.

Go watch The Lost World, JP3, Crystal skull, The Roger Moore bond films, the star wars prequels, any number of michael bay movies, etc. and come back and say JW is one of the worst.

Yes! Giacchino simply has to return for the sequel. He really did outdo himself with JW's score.

His soundtrack for the playstation Lost World game was so good back in the day too

vanty

I can't tell if this is internet hyperbole or if your for real

You must not have been in a cinema for the past two decades than.

Go watch The Lost World, JP3, Crystal skull, The Roger Moore bond films, the star wars prequels, any number of michael bay movies, etc. and come back and say JW is one of the worst.

His soundtrack for the playstation Lost World game was so good back in the day too
From that list I've only seen the SW prequels in a cinema and even the shitfest of Episode 2 probably has more redeeming features than Jurassic World. I only go and see movies that have a good reaction from viewers so I was expecting a hell of a lot more from this.

I've seen much, much worse movies but I haven't paid money to sit in a theatre to see them.

Timu

From that list I've only seen the SW prequels in a cinema and even the shitfest of Episode 2 probably has more redeeming features than Jurassic World. I only go and see movies that have a good reaction from viewers so I was expecting a hell of a lot more from this.

I've seen much, much worse movies but I haven't paid money to sit in a theatre to see them.
Episode 2 was a boring ass movie.o_O

inm8num2

https://twitter.com/robertdowneyjr/status/618084003720118272

CwBfptt.png

I'm about to watch Jurassic World in 1 hour. I only watched the first one when I were a kid, and I have never seen The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3.

Dunno what to expect. Guess I'll just go in and watch it casually. But I don't like the talk about Chris Pratt being able communicate with the new dinosaurs. Really not up my alley.

Watch JW then go home and rent 1-3

Toothless

I'm happy I rewatched it; I actually like the first half more. Seeing the park up and running is super cool, and when it's set in the park, I really like it. The action and talking scenes are just kinda dull. Solid B-

I saw this last night with my wife. I love Jurrasic Park, I watch it at least once a year.

I have to say Jurrasic World is a great sequel, I loved it actually. I know for a fact if I had seen this movie ten years ago I would have picked it apart and been a complete cynical asshole. I don't know If I am getting soft in my old age (32) but I had a great time, there were multiple times I wanted to roll my eyes but I was having too much fun to worry about it, its a monster movie about dinosaurs.

Fezan

Just watched it Last night. Starting part was ok. 2nd half of the movie was just completely dumb. The dialogues were so corny and hate the recent trend of inserting comical dialogue between tense moments. It suits Tony Stark but not every one has to make a funny comment. People went from crying and screaming to making jokes a minute later. And Last fight it was most dumbest thing i have ever saw.

Even with all these negatives the movie is fun.

Wanderer5

So I finally saw it yesterday, and it was pretty enjoyable. This might be a bit silly through (it was only like 1-2 shots), but
I got a bit distracted by Claire running in those heels.XD Like especially when she, Owen, and the two nephews are racing through the center building into the lab, I just picture her falling/tripping lol. Funny cause pretty sure Owen made a comment about them earlier in the movie when they were at the waterfall.

Jawmuncher

I gotta say I really like Vic Hoskins. Read the character gets a lot of shit in terms of being cliche or not needed. But even with all of that I found him very enjoyable. He adds a nice little extra to the movie. Especially because of how ridiculous and ignorant he is.

I really enjoyed this movie when I seen it opening weekend. I hope in the sequel there are more Dino on Dino fights that be pretty cool.

I knew the Box Office money was gunna be alot as when I went and seen this with my Dad at a 11:30 AM showing the Theater was packed and usually its pretty empty when we seen Age of Ultron. I seen alot of Families with Kids there. I remember seeing the original when I was like 5 and I thought it was a fun movie.

Nerrel

I finally got around to seeing it tonight and thought it was pretty good, easily a better sequel than the others. As long as you went in with the expectation that it wouldn't be a classic like the original was- as any reasonable person should- I don't see how you can be disappointed.

Of course there are stupid moments, but the original was full of them too- what are the odds that Samuel Jackson's severed arm would have been inexplicably wedged into just the right pipe to fall right onto Laura Dern's shoulder? It was a pure B-horror movie moment. Likewise, a giant T-rex silently entering the visitor's center without causing massive destruction and just at the right moment to save the protagonists is complete bullshit. But Speilberg seemed to be aware of it and in control of it; it was a movie that had fun with itself. It wasn't afraid to make no sense if it was entertaining.

This film is kind of the same way. Just stop thinking and enjoy it.

The bigger problem is that the human element was pretty poor. The original had better, more believable characters. The bad guys in this movie are pretty one dimensional and the
military conspiracy
leg of the plot is a little shaky. Maybe if the
military project leader
wasn't such a comically stupid dick it would have seemed more plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom