• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

Is this accurate?
16ab2db961563eb829d0742938aae09a.jpg

Calcium

Banned
Yes.
Something I don't get is if Charlie is the youngest, why does her name come before Delta (alphabetically), the second eldest?

There was a Charlie that died and this one took its place?

Okay, I'm done watching new clips. Have given the new one a miss. I think I'll just stick with TV spots from here on.

Yeah, I keep telling myself that. Still watching everything that gets posted...

Well, these clips are sometimes chopped versions of the same sequence in the feature.

Also, re: the non-round pupils, isn't that shot of Delta roaring (which sounds fantastic--if you play it over/listen carefully, it has a few different levels of sounds) the same but mirrored from the trailer? I thought maybe it wasn't Delta but I'm not sure about the color/pattern.

Bernbaum

There was a Charlie that died and this one took its place?

Yeah, I keep telling myself that. Still watching everything that gets posted...
I'm now at the point where I have a satisfactory impression of the quality of the film and an idea of the story it's trying to tell. Impressions from JurassicGAF are sufficient enough for me to maintain my enthusiasm for the film.

Two more weeks for us here in Australia!

Toa TAK

Banned
While there wasn't much in the clip, I can't get over how much the music feels like Jurassic Park music.

Didn't watch the clip. Not going to. I'm out. Just give me the soundtrack now and I'm good until release.

Soundtrack is gonna be amazing.

The hype is slowly getting to me. I can't believe it's going to be out soon. Plus I'll be done with classes so that won't get in the way of seeing the film Thursday night.

Bernbaum

When the first clips came out, there wasn't much to distinguish each of the raptors on, but with the recent focus on the four members (and their differences) it's pretty easy identify which is which. I haven't watched the latest clip, but it will be interesting to see how their individual behaviour differs.

That was one of the few things JP3 did well - each of the raptors were quickly identifiable. It's an extension of what Crichton presented in his first book - the lab-bred raptors were all quite similar, but when they captured a juvenile in the wild, it displayed different physiology (the juvenile raptor had chameleonic skin). JP3's raptors are presumably wild-born, so some of the variation doesn't really become apparent until they start breeding. A bit different in the case of Jurassic World, as the differences in each individual are as a result of different genetic mixes.

Something I've been pondering:

Is Owen so out of the loop that he wasn't aware that they "made a new dinosaur" until its unveiling?

Maybe he works far off in a remote section of the island? It's been a while since I've looked at the park map but I'm doubting mention of a raptor grounds, correct?

Bernbaum

Is Owen so out of the loop that he wasn't aware that they "made a new dinosaur" until its unveiling?

Maybe he works far off in a remote section of the island? It's been a while since I've looked at the park map but I'm doubting mention of a raptor grounds, correct?

Well, we know he's based on the island. In the clip where Claire visits him to recruit his skills with 'the new dinosaur' you can see that she arrived at his bungalow in the same Mercedes Benz seen later on when she's driving and yelling "we have an asset out of containment" into her phone. Owen is also working on his bike which is presumably the same bike he rides alongside the raptors.

Maybe that's why he uses his bike - none of the regular security equipment/vehicles is usable when they go to hunt the I. Rex but all his stuff at the bungalow is unscathed.

Well, we know he's based on the island. In the clip where Claire visits him to recruit his skills with 'the new dinosaur' you can see that she arrived at his bungalow in the same Mercedes Benz seen later on when she's driving and yelling "we have an asset out of containment" into her phone. Owen is also working on his bike which is presumably the same bike he rides alongside the raptors.

Maybe that's why he uses his bike - none of the regular security equipment/vehicles is usable when they go to hunt the I. Rex but all his stuff at the bungalow is unscathed.

Right. Maybe he just keeps to himself and doesn't interact with the upper brass until she rides over and says "I got something to show you" to which he'll reply with a "you can show me right here" nodding towards his bungalow.

Waldini

I love the clip and the fear in StarOwen's eyes. I mean ... thats a goddamn Velociraptor he's trying to calm down. CGI looks pretty damn good aswell.

Can't wait to go see this next week.

Jawmuncher

I'm assuming Pratt has a multi deal contract right? Since we were already discussing other film possibilities, I wonder if they'll try and keep him as the lead.

Andy Dwyer than takes his 'asset out of containment'.
With the kids present, Claire says "You can NEVER tell your mom about this"

That reminds me. With the tone of that line it would seem too comedic for something used in the final act. And thinking about that "no no no, him" scene makes me think they get things in order before it gets REALLY bad again.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Lost World, film premise is horrid. Malcolm would be ecstatic if he could prove that Hammond was wrong once again. That's why he went to the other island.
He and his team wanted to find out what happened. He wasn't a reluctant agent.

A Fish Aficionado

The discord between the novel and script is apparent. Wish they would've waited for Crichton's/studio/Spielberg's ego, though he hated writing a sequel by all accounts.

Bernbaum

Lost World, film premise is horrid. Malcolm would be ecstatic if he could prove that Hammond was wrong once again. That's why he went to the other island.

The source material is hard to work with. The first half of the book is mostly exposition, with Malcolm and Levine both acting as mouthpieces for Crichton. There are straight-up entire chapters where Malcolm just talks evolutionary biology, the rise of human society and behavioural ecology, that it would just never work in a film. The first Jurassic Park book had some of that, but it got the expository moments out of the way using flashbacks or events with one-off characters that don't reappear later in the book.

In the Lost World novel, they go to Sorna to rescue Levine, but once they are there, they are happy to just get comfortable and start studying the dinosaurs. Things only fuck up once they cross paths with Dodgson. The premise is a bit 'clearer' in the book: they want to visit the island to study behaviour in order to understand extinction events better. They touch on that very very loosely in the film, where they try and treat the dinosaurs as animals to be cared for, but that whole angle is completely lost on the audience as the second half of the film is spent running from Tyrannosaurs and Raptors. It's why the ending scene of Harding tranquilising the Rex before it's taken out by a sniper is so confusing - audiences don't really care for the welfare of a creature that's just eaten a bunch of people.

I felt that the first Crichton novel had an overabundance of ideas that would work well in film (elements of the book have been lifted for all 4 JP films), whereas the Lost World - whilst having some interesting discourse on science - is quite light on dinosaur action and didn't offer up too many components that would translate well to the big screen. The biggest exception of course is the Carnotaurus, which I really wanted to see in a JP film, but we'll be getting that 'feature' with Indominus Rex anyway.

I remember kids working for someone on the team, trying to solve the mystery of where someone went and s team coming together with high tech equipment. I just cant recall Malcolm's motivation.

More like, I can't remember his initial intentions.
(Did he plan the trek? Know of it beforehand? Or was it just a rescue mission?)

A Fish Aficionado

Malcolm and survivors of the JP indecent were under an NDA, so the premise of Malcolm being a maligned scientist, is odd.

He wanted to discover what Levine was up to in his hacked database of InGen. Levine went to Isla Sorna with a guide and went missing. Malcolm and co go through the database to find their location and go to the island.

Malcolm and survivors of the JP indecent were under an NDA, so the premise of Malcolm being a maligned scientist, is odd.

He wanted to discover what Levine was up to in his hacked database of InGen. Levine went to Isla Sorna with a guide and went missing. Malcolm and co go through the database to find their location and go to the island.
Thank you.

But that doesn't scream "gung-ho" or differ wildly from the film. Instead of actively seeking what someone was up to, he was told.

I agree the novel is better and that there's a vast difference, but I don't remember it enough to know Malcolm's personality and how he'd have reacted had Hammond
been alive and
asked him to go in the book.

A Fish Aficionado

Malcolm was a true skeptic, so he wanted to find out whether the rumors were true of the Costa Rican govt and others were keeping secrets of the remains washing up on shore. When he found out the hacked database he wanted more proof.

I haven't read it in years but this is what I recall.

Malcolm was a true skeptic, so he wanted to find out whether the rumors were true of the Costa Rican govt and others were keeping secrets of the remains washing up on shore.
Well there it is.

I guess to improve the scene, Malcolm could have actively seeked Hammond to confront him about the little girl incident but then be told that his girlfriend is already there.

Bernbaum

Malcolm was a true skeptic, so he wanted to find out whether the rumors were true of the Costa Rican govt and others were keeping secrets of the remains washing up on shore. When he found out the hacked database he wanted more proof.

I haven't read it in years but this is what I recall.

I was unsure whether Malcolm was truly skeptical, or whether he was downplaying the signifance of dinosaur sightings on the mainland because of either the NDA, or not wanting to have anything to do with inGen. It's odd that he would be skeptical of reports of dinosaurs, because he was adamant that they'd made their way off the island in the first book. Once Levine tracks down the true location of Site B, Malcolm then has no shyness about Hammond's venture with inGen and refers to events in the first book constantly.

There's a lot of fucking around at the beginning of the Lost World that doesn't really matter, because they all end up on the island looking for dinosaurs anyway.

Well, we know the raptor pen is away from the park itself, as Owen has been working on behavioral training with them to TRY and reduce their aggression so they can be put on display. Seeing his bungalow in that one clip makes me think he lives nearby and probably stays that way.

I mean, we also see that Masrani is just seeing the I-Rex for the first time, too, so it seems like it's been kept under wraps for a long time.

Well, we know the raptor pen is away from the park itself, as Owen has been working on behavioral training with them to TRY and reduce their aggression so they can be put on display. Seeing his bungalow in that one clip makes me think he lives nearby and probably stays that way.

I mean, we also see that Masrani is just seeing the I-Rex for the first time, too, so it seems like it's been kept under wraps for a long time.
With Masrani, I feel like he flew in for the unveiling. And yeah, I guess as suspected, Owen just isn't in the loop AND he's out of the way.

Bernbaum

When Claire goes to coax Owen to help with the new attraction, she might not be completely honest about what they need his help for. They may have already 'lost' (or thought they've lost) Indominus, and that they've recruited Owen to help figure out how it escaped. It isn't until Owen is inside the pen that they realize it never escaped and has just been in hiding.

When Claire goes to coax Owen to help with the new attraction, she might not be completely honest about what they need his help for. They may have already 'lost' (or thought they've lost) Indominus, and that they've recruited Owen to help figure out how it escaped. It isn't until Owen is inside the pen that they realize it never escaped and has just been in hiding.
Ah, yeah. Makes sense. She seems awfully calm though.

Jawmuncher

My biggest issue with this is, wouldn't their top secret attraction have all this security on it? I'm guessing you could argue all the flora and fauna could hide angles. If someone is watching a security cam they're gonna see a dinosaur appear and then disappear.

My biggest issue with this is, wouldn't their top secret attraction have all this security on it? I'm guessing you could argue all the flora and fauna could hide angles. If someone is watching a security cam they're gonna see a dinosaur appear and then disappear.
It may be top secret but it's still just an asset to them.

Meaning it's not like there's a threat of theft or visitors coming near to warrant extra tight security. It's just a new dino they're waiting to unveil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom