• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury sides with Hulk Hogan in his sex tape lawsuit against Gawker & awards him $115m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tansut

kFGLEr4.png

posting just because
This is still easily one of the top 5 greatest tweets of all time.

Wagram

I love how Hulk Hogan is listed as the Gawker owner on the wikipedia page.

Looks like Kotaku has another scoop, about how they're fucked :(

Jarmel

Banned
So going by posts in the other thread, Gawker would need to put the full amount of the award in escrow to appeal a Florida verdict. They'll need to liquidate everything just to appeal.
It caps out at 50 million so they need only 50 million.

In other words they're still fucked.

SpotAnime

I for one hope that the Gawker sites land somewhere unharmed in the aftermath. For as much crap as we like to give Gawker as a whole, there are some great people on sites like Lifehacker, io9, and even Kotaku, which Totilo has turned into a scrappy little gaming culture site with some great news scoops, and IMO they found a great alternative to the scored review scale that everyone is trying to break out of.

And people like Germain Lussier who recently left /Film for io9. He's a great guy who really helped put my little SDCC site on the map. I really hope they come out of this unscathed.

Never really checked out Gawker much, but sites like Jalopnik, Deadspin, Gizmodo, Kotaku, io9 and Lifehacker were entertaining.

Will be sad to see them go.

jett

D-Member
So going by posts in the other thread, Gawker would need to put the full amount of the award in escrow to appeal a Florida verdict. They'll need to liquidate everything just to appeal.

If that's true then they're completely fucked.

And they deserve it.

shink

While I detest Gawker and Jezebel, I'm still a fan of Lifehacker and Kotaku. So I hope that can continue somehow.

Hard

Banned
115 Million over a sex tape? Can I make one and get that money?

I suppose the hard part is finding someone willing to have sex with me though.

Any Gaffers want to take one for the team?

Hasney

They are worth like $300 million

They'll bounce back

But they'd need to liquidate things or manage to borrow against that to either appeal or pay everything and that's even if a finanacial institution or potential buyer sees anything at their actual value.

Kelsdesu

I don't think they can afford to pay that.

With that being said; if I was Hulk Hogan. I wouldn't give a dime to my ex wife or kids. That guy literaly should take the money(however much) and run.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh and Nick Denton and AJ Daulerio are also personally liable but they can't appeal that shit either.

They're done.

Hasney

115 Million over a sex tape? Can I make one and get that money?

I suppose the hard part is finding someone willing to have sex with me though.

Any Gaffers want to take one for the team?

Sorry, you'd need to be famous enough to say that level of cash is worth it since half of that is how much it allegedly hurt him.

Reading Gawker/ Ex- Gawker editors getting super angry about this on Twitter is great. This guy doesn't seem to understand the difference between settlements and verdicts, thinks this shows why Florida reelected Rick Scott twice, and that the 4 year old comment was just a difference in taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom