• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a Steam Deck from Facebook marketplace. I’m blown away!

Maddux4164

Banned
Paid $220 for a 256gb Steam Deck with case, a 256gb SD card, tv dock and a controller.

Unbelievable device. Just booted it up and logged into my steam. Fired up Dark Souls PTTD edition (which says it’s not supported but it works perfectly)

Any quick suggestions you guys think I need do?

I’m def going to get my GOG games on here too

StereoVsn

Paid $220 for a 256gb Steam Deck with case, a 256gb SD card, tv dock and a controller.

Unbelievable device. Just booted it up and logged into my steam. Fired up Dark Souls PTTD edition (which says it’s not supported but it works perfectly)

Any quick suggestions you guys think I need do?

I’m def going to get my GOG games on here too

I recommend getting a 1tb drive to swap out 256gb and maybe 512gb or 1TB SD card. That way you have plenty of storage for everything.

Maddux4164

Banned
I recommend getting a 1tb drive to swap out 256gb and maybe 512gb or 1TB SD card. That way you have plenty of storage for everything.
Any important things to download for better optimizing on things? Not sure. I’ve heard of something called proton

StereoVsn

Any important things to download for better optimizing on things? Not sure. I’ve heard of something called proton
Proton is backend compatibility layer that allows Deck to play Windows games. You can get experimental proton versions which will allow you to play more games.

Also, there are some nice plugins you can get. I especially recommend one called Vibrant Deck or something like that which makes the screen look a lot better as it ups contrast.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
Congrats!

I just spent this afternooninstalling Deckyloader and Nonsteam deck game loader and a few free epic store free games. It's a process but it works.
I used this dudes youtube steps.

This better than heroic? I’ve heard of heroic and just unsure what’s best?

This better than heroic? I’ve heard of heroic and just unsure what’s best?
I've only been playing with it this afternoon, but it makes installing games from Epic or Cog much cleaner and easier. I'm not sure how it handles proton and wine. It seems to do it for me. I just booted up Cygni, It works.

Maddux4164

Banned
I've only been playing with it this afternoon, but it makes installing games from Epic or Cog much cleaner and easier. I'm not sure how it handles proton and wine. It seems to do it for me. I just booted up Cygni, It works.
Is these protons and wins needed? I’ve enabled developer mode and I… guess… I’m running the latest proton. I’ve not seen wine

Is these protons and wins needed? I’ve enabled developer mode and I… guess… I’m running the latest proton. I’ve not seen wine
The deckyloader non steamdeck plugin seems to handle the proton and wine just like regular steamdeck in the manage game section. I like this as it's 'cleaner'.
I'm going to try and install Cog and Gamepass streaming later on.

edit-I used to have Windows 11 loaded on my Steamdeck for all these other game launchers. I'm just dicking around with my Steamdeck. It's what's great about it. You can play around and do stuff.

Last edited:
You can write an image in a sd card and boot directly from the card. I have a real nice retro collection using this method.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Proton is mostly the only thing you need. If a game doesn't launch or have video codec issue, Proton is more or less the solution.

If you want emulation, use Emudeck. It streamline installing and configuring emulators.

Maddux4164

Banned
Proton is mostly the only thing you need. If a game doesn't launch or have video codec issue, Proton is more or less the solution.

If you want emulation, use Emudeck. It streamline installing and configuring emulators.
Do I have proton? Basically just enabled dev mode and went to developer and enabled steam play using proton 8 or whatever. Didn’t download anything

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Do I have proton? Basically just enabled dev mode and went to developer and enabled steam play using proton 8 or whatever. Didn’t download anything

Head to desktop mode, go to Discover app store, search and install ProtonUp-Qt
ProtonUp-Qt is where you find and install the various Proton versions. A guide below

Don't need to install all of them though. Just install what you need to conserve the storage space for your SD

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'd probably get rid of whatever that skin is but other than that I think you're off to a good start.

I hate the way the USB C cable sticks out of the top so I got these to keep from breaking the port...

Maddux4164

Banned
I'd probably get rid of whatever that skin is but other than that I think you're off to a good start.

I hate the way the USB C cable sticks out of the top so I got these to keep from breaking the port...

It’s a next Gen hardcore gamer skin man. Why would any human get rid of it? Lol

That’s a cool device. Seems expensive for what it really is. Was thinking like $5-$10

ReBurn

Gold Member

That’s a cool device. Seems expensive for what it really is. Was thinking like $5-$10
These are more expensive because they allow pass through of data/audio/video. There are cheaper ones that just do power.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I couldn’t get Heroic launcher to work. I tried it twice and each time it felt like a dumpster fire. It kept spinning and spinning trying to sign into GOG and Epic. I’ll definitely check out Decky. I’d recommend a 45 W portable battery. I love mine. I can charge it wherever. I also bought a USB-C to USB-C cable for it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

They are about $5 from Aliexpress if you don't mind waiting for them to take a slow boat from China.

Maddux4164

Banned
It’s 2024 and if you’d told me in December 2020 when Cyberpunk 2077 launched and last gen consoles wouldn’t even run it

I’d laugh if you said “no worries, you’ll play it as intended with expansions on a handheld”

I’d laugh.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Second the storage shout.

I have a 512gb Deck and bought a 512gb sandisc extreme pro to go with it.

GTA, RDR 2 are both 110gb plus, Sea of Thieves 100gb, MCC and Gears 5 100gb apiece. The storage doesn’t go a long way if you play the larger sized multiplayer games.

It is a great device indeed. I sold mine because I thought it was too big and heavy for my taste. But it can't be overstated how important this thing is, especially for the Linux community. Huge props to Valve for making this a practically seamless experience. And it's running on a rolling release distro!

Maddux4164

Banned
It is a great device indeed. I sold mine because I thought it was too big and heavy for my taste. But it can't be overstated how important this thing is, especially for the Linux community. Huge props to Valve for making this a practically seamless experience. And it's running on a rolling release distro!
For $220. Can’t complain myself. Elated to play the almost 1000 games on my handheld from GOG, Steam, Humble etc

It’s madness

Ceadeus

Gold Member
True. Scams abound as anywhere. But if you’re in a small peaceful town, you can meet up with others and buy and sell goods for the most part…. worry free

Far far cheaper than eBay would ever be
Oh yeah, the moment you put up your ad you almost immediately get a couple of scam account (bot account?) asking if the item still available. But it's so obvious, I don't even "look" the message , ignore and delete asap.

Like you say, in small town you'll sell locally and very easy. eBay is expensive af for video games in general. I do avoid unless it's a collectible piece I really want in a particular condition.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
You can run VR on current Deck.

Does it actually run anything at 90fps @100% render resolution? Maybe something at the lowest settings does, but certainly not anything notable like Alyx. I imagine the Quest 3 which would be easier is even more powerful, I can't see the Deck hit 120fps at 150% render resolution like the Quest 3 does either.

Definitely seems possible the next Deck could do something better. But you'd still need a ridiculous number of cables, and I expect battery life would be pretty bad unless you are also plugged in to an external power supply.

Kokoloko85

The shitty thing is

Having decades of digital games. WHAT NOW DO I PLAY???

I’ve got 580 Steam games and 138 on GOG

It’s madness and I’m now just scrolling my library. It’s a problem

Is there folders to organise the games?

Last edited:
Top Bottom