• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a Steam Deck from Facebook marketplace. I’m blown away!

Neon Xenon

The Steam Deck seems like a really cool piece of hardware and tech that I would like to sit down and tinker with. But the Steam Deck is also firmly on my personal list of "You Do NOT Need to Spend Money On This Shit Right Now" items.

Plus, I feel like the majority of use that I would get out of it is just to play games in bed...which isn't a bad thing.

I still would really like to own one at some point. The price is just very prohibitive for me right now. Maybe I could go Refurbished from Valve or a used one on eBay.

Cyberpunkd

Gotcha. Just seemed a no brainer old dark souls would work and work flawlessly. And it does
It’s not a matter of old and new. You are not running Windows, you are running heavily modified Linux. Sometimes games have weird artifacts for no reason, different versions of Proton solve that.

Shifty1897

I will probably get a Deck 2 whenever it releases, I've realized handhelds are my future as a working dad who is also the primary caretaker of small children.

Synless

I use my son’s OLED version from time to time… when the next version comes out, I’m in.

Though I will be paying close attention to the competition as well. I had my eyes on the ROG Ally X however I know a new one will come soon.

dave_d

Proton is mostly the only thing you need. If a game doesn't launch or have video codec issue, Proton is more or less the solution.

If you want emulation, use Emudeck. It streamline installing and configuring emulators.
Just to add on to this here's a video on setting up emudeck

Admittedly that's what I used my steam deck for. (I just finished Mother 3 on it with the english patch. Yes I actually own it, my sister in law got it for me. It's cool game but it's NEVER coming here.) Admittedly I also own a retrode so I can rip my own roms. (Admittedly I haven't had time to figure out how to apply the translation patches to SNES games yet. I need to play around with that.)

Maddux4164

Banned
It’s not a matter of old and new. You are not running Windows, you are running heavily modified Linux. Sometimes games have weird artifacts for no reason, different versions of Proton solve that.
Yep. Already kinda learned that. DEF has nothing at ALL to do with “new” or “old”

I’m so used to a windows pc just kinda making shit work first try

El Muerto

Gold Member
I play mine often and i wouldnt sell it for anything. My go to games have been metroidvanias. But also suprised how it can handle newer UE5 games. I have cheap docks i got from amazon hooked up to my tvs so i can hook my deck up to my tvs with ease. I just connect a controller and i'm good to go. Definitely upgrade the storage though. Steam Deck uses m.2 2230. I have a 1tb ssd and micro sd and it's been enough for me.
Just to add on to this here's a video on setting up emudeck

Admittedly that's what I used my steam deck for. (I just finished Mother 3 on it with the english patch. Yes I actually own it, my sister in law got it for me. It's cool game but it's NEVER coming here.) Admittedly I also own a retrode so I can rip my own roms. (Admittedly I haven't had time to figure out how to apply the translation patches to SNES games yet. I need to play around with that.)

Pretty simple, just download the translation patch (.ips file), and download this tool to apply it to the rom https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/

dave_d

Pretty simple, just download the translation patch (.ips file), and download this tool to apply it to the rom https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/

Well the problem I ran into is there's 2 formats for SNES carts and the retrode does one and the patch expects the other one. (different headers if I understood it right) Anyway I found an app that's supposed to convert it to the other format but then applying the patch didn't work. (I did check the hash and it seemed right but something is off.)

El Muerto

Gold Member
Does anyone use CDKeys anymore? What’s the reason people wouldn’t?

Today alone got

Arcade Paradise for .79 cents
Shenmue 3 for $1.89
Shenmue 1&2 for $5
I've used them for years with no issues and still use them. I also use Eneba.com alot, it's a key reseller site, but not as shady as g2a. Then there's isthereanydeal.com and Fanatical.

Maddux4164

Banned
I've used them for years with no issues and still use them. I also use Eneba.com alot, it's a key reseller site, but not as shady as g2a. Then there's isthereanydeal.com and Fanatical.
G2a has such a bad rep. I would never again.

Haven’t heard of the others you mentioned. Better deals? Reliable like cdkeys?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
G2a has such a bad rep. I would never again.

Haven’t heard of the others you mentioned. Better deals? Reliable like cdkeys?

Isthereanydeal aggregate and compare the prices of games across all 3rd party legit key sellers (such as Fanatical, Indiegala, Humble Games, GameBillet). This way you can tell at a glance which seller has the best price for the game you want. They are all equally safe and reliable. Only down side is they don’t offer the same refund policy as Steam.

Also they don’t track the games in humble bundle if I am not wrong. Sometimes a game might cost more individually than if it was in a humble bundle.

Maddux4164

Banned
Isthereanydeal aggregate and compare the prices of games across all 3rd party legit key sellers (such as Fanatical, Indiegala, Humble Games, GameBillet). This way you can tell at a glance which seller has the best price for the game you want. They are all equally safe and reliable. Only down side is they don’t offer the same refund policy as Steam.

Also they don’t track the games in humble bundle if I am not wrong. Sometimes a game might cost more individually than if it was in a humble bundle.
Oh now that is a helpful site. Thanks for that

Jesb

Fanatical is very reliable like cdkeys? I’ve never used them but they have some nice deals I don’t see on cdkeys just briefly looking at it.

Fanatical is very reliable like cdkeys? I’ve never used them but they have some nice deals I don’t see on cdkeys just briefly looking at it.
Fanatical is an actual authorized seller. While I personally have never had trouble with CDKeys, Fanatical is a step up in terms of reliability since their keys come straight from publishers.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Fanatical is an actual authorized seller. While I personally have never had trouble with CDKeys, Fanatical is a step up in terms of reliability since their keys come straight from publishers.
I use Fanatical, Green Man Gaming, CDKeys and a few others. gg.deals is another good comparison site.

I normally avoid G2A/eneba type key sites because they are shady AF.

Maddux4164

Banned
I’m not complaining about a “bonus” free wireless pad for my steam deck

But man. These lights. wtf

To be fair, controller FEELS fantastic. The steam deck saw it as a switch pro controller, had to change the button layout. But that’s all

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Does anyone use CDKeys anymore? What’s the reason people wouldn’t?

Today alone got

Arcade Paradise for .79 cents
Shenmue 3 for $1.89
Shenmue 1&2 for $5
https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/30/ for Shenmue I HD textures

+

https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/19 (Forklift mod allows some models like Ryo’s watch to be replaced)

On the OLED model you can get power usage down to 4 Watts (set the screen refresh rate to 30 Hz which is the game maximum refresh rate anyways, I like how easy it is to do power and screen settings per title on Steam Deck). On non OLED models I am not sure, maybe the power limit would need to be 5 Watts not to have any framerate loss, but I would be willing to bet it works fine at 4 W too… on the OLED it drops sometimes below 30 FPS at 3 W, but it is manageable…).
I would also turn supersampling to 200% in the options and disable FXAA which makes the image too soft for my likings and at 800p native + super sampling this is cleaner than Dreamcast ever wished to be.

Starfield and HellsDiver II are also customisable to the point they both look good and play decently enough which was surprising!

Having the two touchpads and four back buttons (on top of the four bumpers) really helps… you can customise how you activate gyro aiming and use that too :).

Starfield essential mod (and some other recommended settings and mods): https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/538

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/30/ for Shenmue I HD textures

+

https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/19 (Forklift mod allows some models like Ryo’s watch to be replaced)

On the OLED model you can get power usage down to 4 Watts (set the screen refresh rate to 30 Hz which is the game maximum refresh rate anyways, I like how easy it is to do power and screen settings per title on Steam Deck). On non OLED models I am not sure, maybe the power limit would need to be 5 Watts not to have any framerate loss, but I would be willing to bet it works fine at 4 W too… on the OLED it drops sometimes below 30 FPS at 3 W, but it is manageable…).
I would also turn supersampling to 200% in the options and disable FXAA which makes the image too soft for my likings and at 800p native + super sampling this is cleaner than Dreamcast ever wished to be.

Starfield and HellsDiver II are also customisable to the point they both look good and play decently enough which was surprising!

Having the two touchpads and four back buttons (on top of the four bumpers) really helps… you can customise how you activate gyro aiming and use that too :).

Starfield essential mod (and some other recommended settings and mods): https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/538
Is nexus mods something you just download from the steam store?

lol. I’ve never used them. Ever. In all my years. I’m aware of what it is

Maddux4164

Banned
Steam Deck, ROG ALLY X, whatever your poison this is the future.

Sitting at expensive PC setup < PS5 Couch Console < PC Couch < Handheld whever the wind blows.
It’s always trended that way. Absolutely always.

Takes handhelds a while to “catch up” and become more affordable and also powerful

We had palm pilots back in the day to start with. Ultra portable laptops and handheld devices have always been the target consumer device

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Is nexus mods something you just download from the steam store?

lol. I’ve never used them. Ever. In all my years. I’m aware of what it is
Hehe, no you would need to go on desktop mode. If you use the Dock with mouse, keyboard, and a screen you essentially have a full blown Linux desktop. If you prefer the way of pain you setup a VNC server on the deck and then screen share from your PC/macOS device :). Both work well and have pros and cons.

Maddux4164

Banned
I’d imagine this is a relatively easy fix, but can’t figure it out.

I’ve downloaded Witcher 3 through heroic. It’s a GOG version.
Added it to steam

I launch it. It brings up the CDPR launcher. Whatever. Game boots fine. But it absolutely refuses to believe I’m not using a keyboard and mouse

What’s weird is cyberpunk 2077, same everything, recognizes my control immediately

EDIT: figured it out. I’m dumb. Apparently holding the start button for a few seconds forces controller mode

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Steam deck is next level and got out of the "gameboy" shadow, in the last 3 and half years, valve recognized that the psp was dying, and also the switch is alive portable gaming winning today with the deck and others is a beautiful thing.

Steam Deck‘s been my only device I‘m playing on since I got it, and I was a console exclusive gamer until this point. And it made me realize that I‘ll be switching to PC masterrace once the next generation of Graphics cards arrives. It just made everything so convenient, it‘s super easy to fiddle around, it‘s so nice to be able to have it with me on long trips, I can play almost everything with it, I have all Final Fantasy games available in one device, I can emulate almost everything with it and if I want to play on the TV I just hook it up with the dock, it gets charged while I play and I‘ll be ready to go anytime I want. Also, bedtime gaming is awesome.

I‘d recommend a good power bank though with 65w charging speed, that‘s one of the most important accessories.

Then, as others mentioned, upgrade your SSD. 1tb minimum, preferably 2tb as they‘re not way more expensive than 1tb.

Get a fee plugins, powertools, CSS loader, protonDB, HLTB are my favorites.

Then get emudeck on it and put all your ROMs on a SD card so you have your setup organized. I put steam games on the internal (2tb) and ROMs on the SD card.

And get a good case for your steam deck. I prefer a slim case for short trips and a big pouch for longer trips so I can fit all accessories with it (Controller, dock, external SSD, powerbank, charger etc.).

Anyone familiar with “Decky Loader”

Installed fine. Now I’m using the “NonSteamLaunchers”

Trying to get GOG

It just kinda stays on this. Keep waiting?

Magic Carpet Magic Carpet

CoG is working for me. 😕
By the way you dont have to enable pre release in the options for deckyloaders developer mode for nonsteamgames anymore With the new release.
There is an option to Start fresh in but it will wipe everything nonsteamgames installed. Might help.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
CoG is working for me. 😕
By the way you dont have to enable pre release in the options for deckyloaders developer mode for nonsteamgames anymore With the new release.
There is an option to Start fresh in but it will wipe everything nonsteamgames installed. Might help.
Well it’s just kinda hanging on that screen in gaming mode
I’m on release. Not prerelease.

nothings really installed on that anyhow, I’ve just got decky instealled and downloaded NSL

Top Bottom