• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Kingpen said:
So this game was completely off my radar.... ( I never played the first JC).

So in a simple analogy, is this the game that Mercenaries 2 should have been? If I liked the Mercenaries series, would I like this?

I don't think I have time for a game of this scale though in my current life (getting married soon, and have a big backlog of games already)

45 bones is nice for day one, but I probably should wait for a price drop....

This game should be a model for all future sandbox games. Some wicked freedom they allow in this game.

Stahsky

Anyone know how to Fast Travel? Can't seem to figure it out and I guess I missed when they explained it.

DeadGzuz said:
Something doesn't add up. If you screen tear with a 30fps cap, then you are under 30fps by definition. For the PS3, if there is no tearing for sub-30fps section, then how are they doing it, triple buffering?

Edit the 360 version does not stay at 30fps, you can see in the screen grab at DF the dip into the low 20s.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-justcause2-demo-analysis

I like how people are dismissing the youtube feature because they don't want to get the PS3 version. It's only the coolest feature in a video game in a long time and perfect for a sand box game with so much mayhem. If you want to get the 360 version, don't pretend to be objectively weighing the features, just get it.

In my case it would be a decision between the better looking and cheaper PC version and the PS3 with youtube, the 360 has nothing to offer for someone with all three.

You can do that recording malarkey on the PC with all manner of third party tools (think someone suggested Xfire, then there's FRAPs and likely plenty more) so its not a good reason to pass up on the PC version if you have the hardware for it. "BoloPatch" made the PC demo so much more interesting and who knows what crazy mods people will come up for the final version if they managed such awesome hacks for the demo.

As for deciding between the console versions, I agree, the PS3 is the way to go this time, both versions have their technical quirks but the Youtube functionality is definitely a nice bonus.

MThanded said:
some guy earlier said that something that Looked like an O was supposed to be a Q.

Since this is now seemingly confirmed, its worth adding to the op.

MiDNiGHTS said:
The best part about this game is that it is huge but only takes 4GB of space. Props to devs.

If I can remember correctly, Morrowind on the original xbox was only 700 mb on the disc back then, for a game of it's content and world size, it was small in file size. It's nice to know though that it won't take up too much room on my 120 gig.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Game looks pretty good... better than the demo I think. Seems like they turned down the bloom a little or something because it looks a lot less orange.

Install size is 4.1GB on 360.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
5 hours played, 9% complete. This last faction mission I did
with 100 year old Japanese soldiers on an island with electromagnetic pulse towers making sounds out of Lost
was pretty wild.

jedimike

After having just discovered the demo, I MUST get this game! I love sandbox games but this was never on my radar because the first one didn't grab me.

It's like a cross between crackdown and GTA.

NIN90

The wait is killing me!! ;((
Just so you know: gifting a US copy on Steam DOES NOT circumvent the EU release date. ;((

Mechanical Snowman said:
:lol

That chopper looks amazing too, nice. And is that a PS3 upload? It looks like better quality than the last one that was posted.

Yea, it's the PS3 version heh. The one you saw might have not been fully processed yet, video quality takes a little bit to get fixed up.

DeadGzuz

Banned
brain_stew said:
You can do that recording malarkey on the PC with all manner of third party tools (think someone suggested Xfire, then there's FRAPs and likely plenty more) so its not a good reason to pass up on the PC version if you have the hardware for it. "BoloPatch" made the PC demo so much more interesting and who knows what crazy mods people will come up for the final version if they managed such awesome hacks for the demo.

My PC played the demo at 1080P no AA 60fps, probably med settings, so the $39 GoGamer version might be best. I'd never do the video stuff on the PC, my life is complicated enough. :D

Or I'll get the PS3 and PC version when they are $20 and get back to my backlog.

Kingpen said:

So in a simple analogy, is this the game that Mercenaries 2 should have been? If I liked the Mercenaries series, would I like this?

I don't think I have time for a game of this scale though in my current life (getting married soon, and have a big backlog of games already)

Yes, I was one of the few it seems people who LOVED Mercenaries 2 all the way through to completion, but it was still a somewhat rough game whose flaws I could overlook

this game is like a spiritual successor with everything polished, and as big a jump to Mercenaries 2 as that was to Merc 1. And thats an enormous difference. The sense of scale is unbelievable in terms of both verticality (huge buildings and mountains) and sheer area, and its not empty content. There is also a far more varied amount of environments, despite each one being as detailed as Mercenaries 2 was in its single environment

Add being able to fly planes and all kinds of other crazy vehicles, and the grapple system which is like a good bionic commando its incredible. I spent a couple of hours playing the demo and that was just in the most boring environment of the game, the final game is GORGEOUS (just like merc 2 at its finest)

there are all kinds of collectibles to find and upgrade, so it has that collect-everything and destroy everything I can see feeling I had with Merc 2.

get this game, you wont regret it.

Ding

RedStep said:
Who thought it was a bad demo?
I did. It almost turned me off on the game completely.

But, not quite. I ordered from Amazon this morning. I'm taking a leap of faith. I love sandboxy games, and I love vehicle sims, I love pretty graphics and long sight lines, and I love Crackdown-style mayhem. It's hard to see how the game could disappoint me, frankly. I'm just going to chalk it up to a crap demo, and hope that turns out to be the case.

Artadius

EvaPlusMinus said:
They sure made these bases hard as hell to get a 100% on.

Here's a good tip to might help.

Anytime there are communications/radar towers, there's a generator nearby that is easily overlooked.

Stahsky

Artadius said:
Here's a good tip to might help.

Anytime there are communications/radar towers, there's a generator nearby that is easily overlooked.

Or in my case, two generators.

Klocker

anybody else playing on extreme difficulty? the one above normal but below the hardest (360)

sucks that you can not switch difficulty it seems after you have started. so if I find it is too hard I have to start another game over on normal.

so far it seems fair but definitely more challenging than the demo on extreme

bridegur

I'm only a couple missions in, but so far I'm having an awesome time. And call me crazy, but the voice acting this far has been no worse than GoW3 (not that that means much). Plus, I like that the protagonist sounds like this guy:

triumph01.jpg

bridegur said:
I'm only a couple missions in, but so far I'm having an awesome time. And call me crazy, but the voice acting this far has been no worse than GoW3 (not that that means much). Plus, I like that the protagonist sounds like this guy:

triumph01.jpg

Ehh, let's not take it that far. It's definitely good, but what brings it down is the horrible lip syncing.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Alright, I figured out my activation key problem. Apparently, this O shaped character is actually a Q:

aWxL7.jpg

wut. Anyway, now I can play. Yay!

Is anyone having issues with the PS3 version and slight stutter when camera panning big backrounds? I'm in the beginning bit on the mountain tops. Does this get less noticeable as you get further along? I'm assuming this is the v-sync doing it's thing but I'm not sure if I'd prefer it to 360's screen tearing. :/

bathala

Banned
CloakedPuppet said:
Is anyone having issues with the PS3 version and slight stutter when camera panning big backrounds? I'm in the beginning bit on the mountain tops. Does this get less noticeable as you get further along? I'm assuming this is the v-sync doing it's thing but I'm not sure if I'd prefer it to 360's screen tearing. :/
haven't experience any stuttering, and I just did a mission where I'm on top of a snowy mountain

Wiggum2007

bridegur said:

triumph01.jpg

I knew Rico's voice sounded familiar!

So how's everyone tackling the faction missions? One faction at a time, or jumping around from one faction to another? I'm just choosing the missions that seem most boring from the description in hopes of saving the most badass ones for later. :lol

Salaadin

Does Vsync still kill the FPS for this? Not like it matters since my copy is in the mail but I was just playing the demo again. 30-60 FPS with it on but a solid 60+ once I turn off Vsync.

I really dont like tearing but I might put up with it for this game if it stops the dips. I wonder if the 10.3 Catalyst drivers will help any.

Jtrizzy

This game has been totally off my radar, but looks right up my alley. Can someone advise me on which console to get this for?

Salaadin said:
Does Vsync still kill the FPS for this? Not like it matters since my copy is in the mail but I was just playing the demo again. 30-60 FPS with it on but a solid 60+ once I turn off Vsync.

I really dont like tearing but I might put up with it for this game if it stops the dips. I wonder if the 10.3 Catalyst drivers will help any.

Just use D3DOverrider.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kingpen said:

No, this is the game Just Cause 1 should have been.

bathala said:
haven't experience any stuttering, and I just did a mission where I'm on !op of a snowy mountain

Yeah - now that I've been playing for a bit, it's actually not that noticeable. I've only picked up on it a couple times since starting.

I must say that the YouTube feature is the best thing since sliced bread. Love it!

Someone needs to start a Just Cause 2 video thread!

Risette

A Good Citizen
The Amazon preorder assault rifle is pretty good. Semiauto, 3 shot kills from long distances, and it's scoped.

NIN90 said:
The wait is killing me!! ;((
Just so you know: gifting a US copy on Steam DOES NOT circumvent the EU release date. ;((

Isn't that annoying? Consoles are pretty much region free these days, but fucking PC games are becoming region locked to shit.

MThanded said:
map is huge. Game is great

yeah huge is one one way to put it. I looked out across this massive valley and I was like no way can I go over there, jacked a chopper and sure enough if you see it you can go to it lol. Crazy big.

Top Bottom