• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pandoracell said:
This gets my vote for most improved sequel of the generation, along with Assasin's Creed 2.
I really liked the first game. Maybe I was the only one.

Is anyone playing the ps3 version??? Does it look the same or better than the demo?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'd like some info on the different SKUs as well.

Does the PS3 allow for a full install? How are the load times?

FlyinJ said:
I'd like some info on the different SKUs as well.

Does the PS3 allow for a full install? How are the load times?

Mine required an install, but it was pretty quick so I doubt it was a full one.

The PS3 version also has a v1.01 patch that is downloaded before booting up the first time.

Salaadin

If I buy the retail version, does it come with discs to install it from there and then tie into Steam or is it just a big box with a code in it and I still have to download the entire thing? How big of a download is it?

I was going to wait but this thread is pushing me into buying it. I want to play it tonight now :(

Sanic

"You please me, Scorpion. If you continue to do well, you will find me pleasing as well"
:lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How is the PS3 youtube functionality for the game? Easy to upload? Do you save the videos to your dash?

I just picked it up over lunch.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Salaadin said:
If I buy the retail version, does it come with discs to install it from there and then tie into Steam or is it just a big box with a code in it and I still have to download the entire thing? How big of a download is it?

I was going to wait but this thread is pushing me into buying it. I want to play it tonight now :(

So you can register the boxed PC version with Steam?

cabottemp

Banned
MThanded said:
I really liked the first game. Maybe I was the only one.

you're not. the first one was janky as all hell, but that's part of what made it so freakin amazing to play. used to love playing that shit & listening to 1up yours.

MThanded said:
Is anyone playing the ps3 version??? Does it look the same or better than the demo?

I am. It looks the same to me but the demo looked fine to me.

Salaadin

DeadGzuz said:
So you can register the boxed PC version with Steam?

Its a Steamworks title even if you buy the retail version, youll still get the Cloud support or achievements. I think you key the code into Steam.

I just dont know if I have to still download it or do I get a disc. Does buying retail version save me bandwidth/time or is it essentially the same as buying on Steam

cabottemp

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
How is the PS3 youtube functionality for the game? Easy to upload? Do you save the videos to your dash?

I just picked it up over lunch.

It's incredibly easy. pause the game, go into the video recording, start recording, resume play, blow some shit up, pause the game, end recording, select upload to youtube, takes what felt like 30 seconds to upload, and BAM! you're done.

sammy

GAF just pumped me up for this game, and a buddy just picked it up say's it's a blast!

I'm looking at picking up the 360 version, is there any difference between the PS3/360? other than the YouTube. I want the version that doesn't have frames tearing

reetva

Banned
Keir_Eidos said:
Normally I'd underline the importance of studying, but in this instance it's OK to let your further education suffer. Pop home and get it :D
This just in: Eidos encourages slacking!
The heartless corporate devil corporation told a college student to play a video game instead of studying! This stunning turn of events certainly has people wondering, "How could I have ever supported such a blatantly evil company?" It won't be long until we find out about the devil-worshiping rituals held in their offices daily, I'm sure!

In all seriousness, though, only a few more hours until I play this instead of studying. I can't wait!

Salaadin said:
Its a Steamworks title even if you buy the retail version, youll still get the Cloud support or achievements. I think you key the code into Steam.

I just dont know if I have to still download it or do I get a disc. Does buying retail version save me bandwidth/time or is it essentially the same as buying on Steam

You can install from the DVD if you buy the retail version. Would be pretty worthless including it otherwise.

Salaadin said:

You can install it from the disc or download it, your choice. Don't key the code into Steam if you want to use the disc though, just pop in the disc and install as usual and it'll be added to your Steam list by default.

Salaadin said:

Every Steamworks game i've bought at retail has had the disk in the box to install from and then you register the code with Steam and it acts like any other Steam game. So you can use the disk or download from then on. Unfortunately i'm in the UK and it's not out here yet or i'd be able to tell you for sure as i've ordered a boxed edition too.

Sanic

It's not in the OP, what kind of DLC is planned if any and will any of the preorder stuff be available for purchase later as DLC?

Also, pay close attention to the radio chatter from the government if you're not, there's some funny stuff in there. I love the tone too, with the blatant and poor lying.

EagleEyes

I think this game looks amazing for an open world game. Why is it a game like this can't be considered among the elite graphically? Is it because its open world or not an exclusive? Somebody wiser than me needs to educate me. :p

Sanic

EagleEyes said:
I think this game looks amazing for an open world game. Why is it a game like this can't be considered among the elite graphically? Is it because its open world or not an exclusive? Somebody wiser than me needs to educate me. :p

I haven't heard any harsh complaints about the graphics?

And, it's moments like the one I just had that make me wish I had went with the PS3 instead of 360. I'm trying to carry a bike up to the top of a building I wanna ride it off of, when a jet comes and crashes into it out of noewhere.

Drewsky

Realized I like this game a lot when I was doing one of the first couple of missions, the one where you ride on the top of that drunk guys shitty car and shoot the humvees. I grappled to one of the enemy cars planted an explosive grappled back to the main car and detonated the explosive.

One of the dudes bodies landed on the roof of my car, slowly rolled off and a fountain of glitchy looking blood shot into the air. Awesome

EagleEyes said:

Because it's not?

It looks awesome, and everyone acknowledges it, but it's not setting new standards or anything.

TheKurgan

tim1138 said:
Oh man, I didn't even think of using the hook on the jeeps, definitely going to have to give that a try. I love how many different ways there are to get through the missions in this game, essentially two people could have vastly different experiences.

My preorder code was an insert in the box, it was in front of the manual when I opened the case.

Yeah definately try the hook out - shoot the jeep and then shoot the side of the bridge or a tree on the side of the road (or even the ground) and the comedy with ensue.

EDIT: Not a video of me but here is a guy using the hook :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhlZhFkSZvo&feature=related

I will have to check again for the preorder bonus but I am pretty sure I didn't get it. :(

Any graphics comparisons between the PS3 and 360 versions out there? I went with the 360 version purely out of habit as I'm not interested in the youtube uploading.

EagleEyes

The Interrobanger said:
Because it's not?

It looks awesome, and everyone acknowledges it, but it's not setting new standards or anything.
What is the new standard then? How do you compare a game thats open world to a linear game like U2 or Gears 2? Just curious

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I don't even think I've done the third mission yet and I've put in almost 2 hours. Holy mother of gingerspice this game is fun. Also, I think I found (spoilering for anyone who wants to find it on their own.)
some like... Lost Island. Upper left island. I found myself a jet and was making my way from one end to the other and decided to start there. When I entered the region, it got stormy and creepy, and a sudden loud noise emitted, followed by what I believe was lightning striking my jet and me crashing into the island. After being lost on the island for like, 15 minutes, I finally made my way up to the beach and stole a boat. Then took a 5-8 minute drive down back to the mainland.

GAME IS HUGE

reetva

Banned
EagleEyes said:
What is the new standard then? How do you compare a game thats open world to a linear game like U2 or Gears 2? Just curious
As an open world video game, it's quite possibly setting the new standard, at least in terms of draw distance. As a video game, there are some games that look better. It still looks stunning at times, though.

Keir_Eidos said:
Normally I'd underline the importance of studying, but in this instance it's OK to let your further education suffer. Pop home and get it :D

If only it was possible, with an exam tomorrow and a paper due next week I will most likely have to wait until Good Friday to go home and grab it. (I'm stuck in a dorm until then with no transportation) :(

But I am looking forward to playing it when I get it, for now I'll play the demo to hold me over.

Wow, I went to Game Crazy and they didn't have their shipment for Just Cause 2 in yet.

And to make it worse, I didn't even think to ask to get my money back. I could have just taken that money and went to the Wal-Mart next door because they had a butt-load of copies.

:(

zsswimmer said:
How well could I run this game on my laptop:
C2D @ 2.8ghz
6gb RAM
GTX 260M

Would it be worth getting this on PC or xbox 360 in my case? T
that's the same setup I have except I only have 4gb ram. It runs great. You can't max it out or anything, but at settings that give you a solid 30-45fps, it still looks better than the console and you get mouse control.

EvaPlusMinus said:
I don't even think I've done the third mission yet and I've put in almost 2 hours. Holy mother of gingerspice this game is fun. Also, I think I found (spoilering for anyone who wants to find it on their own.)
some like... Lost Island. Upper left island. I found myself a jet and was making my way from one end to the other and decided to start there. When I entered the region, it got stormy and creepy, and a sudden loud noise emitted, followed by what I believe was lightning striking my jet and me crashing into the island. After being lost on the island for like, 15 minutes, I finally made my way up to the beach and stole a boat. Then took a 5-8 minute drive down back to the mainland.

GAME IS HUGE

I want to hear more about this. I will try to investigate it asap lol, if the island moves or travels time or anything like that...SUPER AWESOME

EagleEyes said:

Is it one of the best looking open world games? Yeah. Does everyone acknowledge that? Yeah. Will this game ever come up in conversations about the best looking games ever? No. Voila. I don't get your question, really. There's no award at the end of the year for "Best Looking Graphics In A Non-Linear Storyline Game"

Pentadact

Neo Member
EvaPlusMinus said:
Also, I think I found (spoilering for anyone who wants to find it on their own.)

Just so you know, there is a mission relating to that place, and you find out even crazier stuff about its history and what's going on there.

Make sure you head up to the blimp when you spot it, too, it's probably not what you're expecting.

Stahsky

JonnyKtyler said:
I want to hear more about this. I will try to investigate it asap lol, if the island moves or travels time or anything like that...SUPER AWESOME

I'm pretty sure I recorded that part at some point in one of the videos. Probably the longest one on my library.

http://www.livestream.com/stahskytopia

Don't know where at though, as I was just streaming it for a friend. But feel free to dig around!

zsswimmer

stump sock said:
that's the same setup I have except I only have 4gb ram. It runs great. You can't max it out or anything, but at settings that give you a solid 30-45fps, it still looks better than the console and you get mouse control.
Good to hear. The demo was kinda laggy for me so I was hesistant on buying the full game for PC.

Stahsky

Pentadact said:
Just so you know, there is a mission relating to that place, and you find out even crazier stuff about its history and what's going on there.

Make sure you head up to the blimp when you spot it, too, it's probably not what you're expecting.

I don't remember seeing a blimp (How do you know all this?!) but I did run into some bigass blimp with it's own private jet and helipad on it... It was like a bigass dance party on it. I slammed some massive fighter jet into it. Think I recorded that too.

EvaPlusMinus said:

GAME IS HUGE

I just read on the Just Cause 2 forums that it is a part of a mission.

Sanic

EvaPlusMinus said:
I don't remember seeing a blimp (How do you know all this?!) but I did run into some bigass blimp with it's own private jet and helipad on it... It was like a bigass dance party on it. I slammed some massive fighter jet into it. Think I recorded that too.

Yeah I imagine that's what he's talking about as that's the only blimp i've seen. Gonna go check out that island you guys are talking about, too.

DeadGzuz

Banned
sammy said:
GAF just pumped me up for this game, and a buddy just picked it up say's it's a blast!

I'm looking at picking up the 360 version, is there any difference between the PS3/360? other than the YouTube. I want the version that doesn't have frames tearing

The PS3 demo didn't tear, while the 360 did.

Here we see a very different FPS graph owing to a change in the rendering attributes of the Avalanche engine running on PlayStation 3. The game maintains v-sync throughout, making for a higher consistency in image quality as you play.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-justcause2-demo-analysis

Top Bottom