• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

pr0cs

stump sock said:
it still looks better than the console and you get mouse control.
Looks better = plus
mouse control = minus

the mouse/keyboard control (at least in the demo) was fucking terrible. so much so that I nearly deleted the demo until I got a controller to work with the game.
I wouldn't recommend the PC version of the game (even with the better graphics) if you don't have a controller.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
It is a pretty good thing when all versions turn out great with multiplatform releases, but it also makes choosing which version to get very difficult. There are strengths with all versions. Ugh.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
yeah, the island thing is on my 42 minute one. around 15 minutes is when i hijack the plane that I eventually crash into the island on. so around that time

edit: After my fever lets up I'll probably try a few of the missions and goof off. If anyone is unable to play the game and/or bored, I'll leave the stream on for ya.

Edit 2: AHA! Found it. It's right around 18:15 on my 42 minute one. That shows the creepy island incident

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
pr0cs said:
Looks better = plus
mouse control = minus

the mouse/keyboard control (at least in the demo) was fucking terrible. so much so that I nearly deleted the demo until I got a controller to work with the game.
I wouldn't recommend the PC version of the game (even with the better graphics) if you don't have a controller.
It's only terrible when you're in a vehicle, but you can hot swap between gamepad controls without any issues.

JoNike

Neo Member
I'm convinced now I will buy this game after work. Now simple question: PS3 or X360? I usually prefer to take my multiplatform game on 360 but is there anything that could push me to the ps3 version (except for that youtube thing in which I'm not really interest).

well i can't activate the game because it keeps telling me my product code is invalid. fucking great.

edit: got it working. can't believe that what is clearly printed as an O was actually a Q! :lol

Pentadact

Neo Member
Sounds like the BoloPatch guy is close to releasing a version for the full game. Screenshot here.

He says he's got one more feature to go, and he'll update this post when it's done.

Cannot friggin wait.

pr0cs said:
Looks better = plus
mouse control = minus

I ONLY have issues with the flight controls with the mouse.

And besides with the importance placed on headshots, mouseaim is a BIG plus.

I might use a gamepad for flying but probably not.

tim1138

TheKurgan said:
Yeah definately try the hook out - shoot the jeep and then shoot the side of the bridge or a tree on the side of the road (or even the ground) and the comedy with ensue.

I will have to check again for the preorder bonus but I am pretty sure I didn't get it. :(

Oh man that's pure genius, definitely going to give that a try. :lol

UFRA

JoNike said:
I'm convinced now I will buy this game after work. Now simple question: PS3 or X360? I usually prefer to take my multiplatform game on 360 but is there anything that could push me to the ps3 version (except for that youtube thing in which I'm not really interest).

The main differences of PS3 and 360 have been noted already:

360 - Locked frame rate at 30fps, screen tearing during heavy action
PS3 - Unlocked frame rate, average around 28-30, V-sync with no screen tearing

Other than that and the YouTube features, the rest is pretty much the same.

And remember, it's not just a YouTube feature, at the very least you can save replays to your XMB just for your own enjoyment. The last 30 seconds are always recording so if some weird ass shit happens (AND IT WILL) you can save it and enjoy it again. That alone is totally awesome IMO.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
UFRA said:

And remember, it's not just a YouTube feature, at the very least you can save replays to your XMB just for your own enjoyment. The last 30 seconds are always recording so if some weird ass shit happens you can save it and enjoy it again. That alone is totally awesome IMO.

This is why the ps3 is king for this game.

kaskade

Reviews have been pretty solid. I think I may get the PS3 version. Youtube feature definitely takes the cake there.

DeadGzuz

Banned
UFRA said:

Something doesn't add up. If you screen tear with a 30fps cap, then you are under 30fps by definition. For the PS3, if there is no tearing for sub-30fps section, then how are they doing it, triple buffering?

Edit the 360 version does not stay at 30fps, you can see in the screen grab at DF the dip into the low 20s.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-justcause2-demo-analysis

I like how people are dismissing the youtube feature because they don't want to get the PS3 version. It's only the coolest feature in a video game in a long time and perfect for a sand box game with so much mayhem. If you want to get the 360 version, don't pretend to be objectively weighing the features, just get it.

In my case it would be a decision between the better looking and cheaper PC version and the PS3 with youtube, the 360 has nothing to offer for someone with all three.

Mudo

I called Wal-Mart and they told me it's 49.98 for the PC. Is it a specific area or something offering it for $40 ??

UFRA

DeadGzuz said:
Something doesn't add up. If you screen tear with a 30fps cap, then you are under 30fps by definition. For the PS3, if there is no tearing for sub-30fps section, then how are they doing it, triple buffering?

I couldn't tell ya there. I'm just going off of what Eurogamer said.

bryehn

firehawk12 said:
Picked up my 40 dollar Walmart copy... that I'll probably won't play for a while. Good times though.

Me too, got a PS3 copy, pleasantly surprised at YouTube feature.

Mudo said:
I called Wal-Mart and they told me it's 49.98 for the PC. Is it a specific area or something offering it for $40 ??

Canada. Today only. No idea about PC but both consoles are included.

MThanded

DeadGzuz said:

Edit the 360 version does not stay at 30fps, you can see in the screen grab at DF the dip into the low 20s.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-justcause2-demo-analysis

I like how people are dismissing the youtube feature because they don't want to get the PS3 version. It's only the coolest feature in a video game in a long time and perfect for a sand box game with so much mayhem. If you want to get the 360 version, don't pretend to be objectively weighing the features, just get it.

In my case it would be a decision between the better looking and cheaper PC version and the PS3 with youtube, the 360 has nothing to offer for someone with all three.

True. This is the first multiplat game I have gotten for the ps3 in a long time. Buy almost all my multiplat titles for the 360.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Installing the 360 version now. Does anyone have any idea how the preorder monster truck handles on water?

Edit: 4.1 GB for those wondering.

JoNike

Neo Member
Ok, thanks for the infos. Gonna decide before the end of the day but your comment gave some weight to the ps3.

MThanded

They said we can expect a lot of DLC. My wallet is already crying. I will shell out for a console god mode editor and a buffed up grappling hook

Grabbed PS3 version after a long ass day at work, time to fly up in the air in this bitch! Game looks better than the demo actually, runs great, checking out my first uploaded video now.

Hey folks, please supply links to your uploads! Also for you Xbox folks, please see the OP in case you want to upload your stunts to the GAFJC2 Youtube account. And just to clarify, while the winner will be announced Friday, April 2, the contest officially begins today. So make sure to upload your videos!

UFRA said:

And remember, it's not just a YouTube feature, at the very least you can save replays to your XMB just for your own enjoyment. The last 30 seconds are always recording so if some weird ass shit happens (AND IT WILL) you can save it and enjoy it again. That alone is totally awesome IMO.

Just exchanged my 360 version for the PS3 one. This is one of the few multi-platform PS3 titles in my collection. V-sync and replays were just too good to pass up.

Already bought 8 games this month, and have a few still in plastic, might go return RE5 gold edition(never played RE5) and pick this up, I would return metro 2033 but I used a reward zone giftcard and would only get the cash I ended up paying back. arggg.

My girlfriend will probaly leave me if she finds out I bought another game :lol

Well fuck it ill take the chance, gonna go pick up the ps3 version. The video recording option is somthing ive wanted on a console game for so long, really looking forward to this.

DrBo42

I can't use my joystick for plane controls in the PC version? Wtf? I want to go crazy with that batjet looking plane you first get.

Edit: I might have to go buy a wired 360 controller for this. Any wired version will work right? I don't have to buy a special PC version?

lupinko

If this game is still at my local Walmart after work for $40 bucks, then I'll pick it up like I did with Borderlands.

TheKurgan

I already own it and I am thinking of picking up another copy for $40 at Walmart. Do you think EBGames will give me full trade in credit for a new copy - or just $40?

TheKurgan said:
I already own it and I am thinking of picking up another copy for $40 at Walmart. Do you think EBGames will give me full trade in credit for a new copy - or just $40?

Hopefully and most likely just $40.

Dineren

Banned
I have this and Strange Journey waiting for me at home, can't wait to get off work. I loved the demo, I finally managed to hijack a helicopter last night right as the demo ended. Glad I won't have to deal with that time limit anymore!

I was off sick today, so took a break from sleeping to hit up WalMart for the $40 deal. I grabbed 2 PS3 copies; I might sell one to my coworker or gift to a buddy.

I've played about 1.5 hours thus far, and the game is a blast. The
the first mission with Karl, you shoot and he drives, is super fun. I had a blast attach trucks together, attaching trucks to the road, and shooting their front tires and watching them flip out of control.
After that I've just be roaming around, taking down generals.

I recommend this game to any fan of the genre.

mjc

Outtrigger888 said:
Well fuck it ill take the chance, gonna go pick up the ps3 version. The video recording option is somthing ive wanted on a console game for so long, really looking forward to this.

Halo 3 says hi

Mrbob

I can't wait to get home so I can install the game and get playing.

I didn't have a big issue with mouse and key controls, but I'll probably roll with my wired 360 pad with this game.

MThanded

mjc said:
Halo 3 says hi
Could not upload straight from console or pull video off console on a usb stick. Halo 3 had a totally closed system.

System was more like replays rather than true recordings. Maybe they changed it since I last played but it was very 360 centric and not easier for you to pull off console without some external capture method.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Anyone with the PC version having activation key problems? It says my key is invalid when I know I'm entering it correctly.

mjc

MThanded said:
Could not upload straight from console or pull video off console on a usb stick. Halo 3 had a totally closed system.

System was more like replays rather than true recordings. Maybe they changed it since I last played but it was very 360 centric and not easier for you to pull off console without some external capture method.

True, but it was a recording feature nonetheless.

Q8D3vil

MThanded said:

take that halo 3 :p

i love halo though ;/

Sanic

Anyone else experiencing this?

I've had it happen 3 times, where i'll die, hit continue game, and it'll start to load. Once it's done loading and fades to black, rico makes some sort of painful sound and the screen stays black and the game never continues.

Kingpen

So this game was completely off my radar.... ( I never played the first JC).

So in a simple analogy, is this the game that Mercenaries 2 should have been? If I liked the Mercenaries series, would I like this?

I don't think I have time for a game of this scale though in my current life (getting married soon, and have a big backlog of games already)

45 bones is nice for day one, but I probably should wait for a price drop....

Mrbob

Big Ass Ramp said:
Anyone with the PC version having activation key problems? It says my key is invalid when I know I'm entering it correctly.

Eww that sucks. I'll let you know when I get home later tonight and see if my copy works.

Did you try to add the game via steam or put the disc in?

Top Bottom