• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

OneLetter

I "beat" this game last night, as in finished the Agency Missions. I kinda wish there was an option to abort that final mission after I heard the
"You have to pick one faction and stick with them until the end."
Time to start Mercenary Mode, and I'm at 29.37% complete - this should take quite a while.

I also found out that I had been ignoring the Roaches the entire time, because the placement of their first stronghold star was right on the water, so it kinda blended into the rest of the environment. Whoops!

Anyone have a good strategy for the Wrecking Ball achievement? Been thinking of picking up a piece of a statue, but was wondering if anyone knew of any larger objects to use that might work better.

This game is still insane though and I find myself constantly laughing out loud when something ridiculous happens.

Just got an email stating that Fraps 3.20 has a new feature where it'll always record and then let you save the last 30 seconds like Xfire already has.

Should hopefully lead to more crazy videos being posted.

pr0cs

Might be something worth youtubing...

Some of the larger military air bases have hangars that constantly spawn jets taking off. You can do some pretty funny shit by parking junk on the runways. The AI isn't smart enough to try and avoid them so you can create some really funny traffic jams/pileups there.

I cleared out the majority of the base but didn't fully take it over so the jets kept spawning. I sidelined one jet and tethered my vehicle to it.. Then pulled the jet (with the tethered vehicle) and it took off... With me flying around in the vehicle and the AI flying the jet. The AI was taking me for a "tour of the island".

Sadly though the vehicle I used was slightly too heavy and eventually the AI flew too low, I got snagged on something and we fell to earth in a firey grapple-ball.

I really wish I had fraps-ed it, I was laughing so hard.

Numpt3

pr0cs said:
Might be something worth youtubing...

Some of the larger military air bases have hangars that constantly spawn jets taking off. You can do some pretty funny shit by parking junk on the runways. The AI isn't smart enough to try and avoid them so you can create some really funny traffic jams/pileups there.

I cleared out the majority of the base but didn't fully take it over so the jets kept spawning. I sidelined one jet and tethered my vehicle to it.. Then pulled the jet (with the tethered vehicle) and it took off... With me flying around in the vehicle and the AI flying the jet. The AI was taking me for a "tour of the island".

Sadly though the vehicle I used was slightly too heavy and eventually the AI flew too low, I got snagged on something and we fell to earth in a firey grapple-ball.

I really wish I had fraps-ed it, I was laughing so hard.
I love this game :lol

What does mercenary mode involve?

So I haven't been keeping up with news or reviews and I haven't played the demo, but is this pretty much the best open-world game there is right now? And in what ways is it better than GTA4?

The Lamonster said:
So I haven't been keeping up with news or reviews and I haven't played the demo, but is this pretty much the best open-world game there is right now? And in what ways is it better than GTA4?
Most folks here say yes it is.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Wiggum2007 said:
If this game doesn't sell like hotcakes I will RAAAAGE. I feel like I remember reading awhile back that Avalanche Studios has a lot riding on this game and that if it's not successful they'll pry go out of business. And this game really does deserve to do great.

Good news

Pooya

I played the game for half an hour on my friend's laptop today, the game looks so beautiful, sometimes it looks like Uncharted visually IMO. so much chaos and explosions and skydiving was fun too. Just Chaos 2!!!

Aesius

I was doing a mission for BO LO SAN TO SI earlier and had to hijack a limo in order to kidnap some guy. I saw a roadblock coming up, so I drove left to miss it and ended up in the jungle, completely stuck. So I ran up the road a bit, grabbed a Hummer, and drove it back down and tethered it to the limo. Pulled that bastard right back onto the road :D

m0ngo said:
I love this game :lol

What does mercenary mode involve?

Mercenary mode is just what they call "you can still play after you finish the main missions". You can go and do anything you missed, including other faction missions to reach 100%. The only major change is that they have a new pop up around the bottom of the screen that tells you your total percentage complete in more detail. Basically, it says like 35.47% or something letting you know you have a looooong way to go :lol

thankfully the game doesn't expect you to get 100% and the achievement is 70% done.

For reference sake, me finishing the game + doing all the Bolo missions + a bunch of locations 100%'d was only like 25% when I completed the main missions. That is around 18 hours. Yeah, this game is huge.

Numpt3

Linkzg said:
Mercenary mode is just what they call "you can still play after you finish the main missions". You can go and do anything you missed, including other faction missions to reach 100%. The only major change is that they have a new pop up around the bottom of the screen that tells you your total percentage complete in more detail. Basically, it says like 35.47% or something letting you know you have a looooong way to go :lol

thankfully the game doesn't expect you to get 100% and the achievement is 70% done.

For reference sake, me finishing the game + doing all the Bolo missions + a bunch of locations 100%'d was only like 25% when I completed the main missions. That is around 18 hours. Yeah, this game is huge.
Ah right I get it, thanks! I know i remember getting 100% in the first one and it took forever.. still fun though :D

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Just one more to add to the earlier back to the future one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ1BjXp8Hgk

I dont know why i love this one but i do, i was asked to put the music on and it fit right in...until the end :lol

If theres any interest ive loads more i could upload, all done live

UFRA

Aesius said:
I was doing a mission for BO LO SAN TO SI earlier and had to hijack a limo in order to kidnap some guy. I saw a roadblock coming up, so I drove left to miss it and ended up in the jungle, completely stuck. So I ran up the road a bit, grabbed a Hummer, and drove it back down and tethered it to the limo. Pulled that bastard right back onto the road :D

LOL It's moments like that which make the game so awesome.

I also crashed the limo in that mission and got stuck. I think I used one of the Jeep styled military vehicles to pull it out. It was so satisfying. :lol

Sanic

UFRA said:
LOL It's moments like that which make the game so awesome.

I also crashed the limo in that mission and got stuck. I think I used one of the Jeep styled military vehicles to pull it out. It was so satisfying. :lol

Yeah I crashed in that mission too, but I just got out and hopped in another vehicle and the guy followed me. That's not as cool though :)

And, this isn't a spoiler, but i'm going to spoiler it anyway because i'm sure people are sick of hearing stuff about it:
The mission on the LOST island was great, it really showed how self aware the game was at it's stupidity. I love how the game doesn't even try to explain anything that was going on there :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I love this game. I've spent all my gaming time in the last week with it, I haven't even touched anything else even though I have plenty of games to play.
13 hours in and 12% completion.
I have been trying to pull off the ultimate stunt to submit to the contest but whenever I set something up that's supposed to be epic it never works out. Aside from a few good ones most of my captures are stuff like Bike on Bike collisions.

Oh, did I miss out on the guy trying to ruin our thread with his whining?
I guess some people just hate fun.

Numpt3

Snuggler said:
Oh, did I miss out on the guy trying to ruin our thread with his whining?
I guess some people just hate fun.
Yes, apparently a game in which you can grapple hook to a helicopter, kick out said helicopters pilot, attach a car to it, then take it as high as possible only to release the car, bail out of the chopper to skydive down to the car, grapple to it then surf on its roof down to the ground 4km below is to generic :lol

Flib

I love this game so much, but I don't think I'll ever beat it. I just play like and hour here and an hour there, fucking around 'till I get bored...it's the perfect game for that. It's ridiculousness hits a zen sweet spot.

The Lamonster said:

Put it this way, it's the most fun you'll have with any open-world game around. The narrative is intentionally cheesy and throw-away in lieu of the player being able to do as many 'holy shit' things as possible.

In what ways is it better than GTAIV?

You're not driving around trying to please NPCs like it's the goddamned Sims.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I really liked GTAIV, but Just Cause 2 is without a doubt the better sandbox game.
The one sandboxy thing that's better in GTAIV is the physics, you can't beat the Euphoria engine.

Brannon

One mission I made up on my own had me sky dive from my expensive plane into a hole in the ground. I didn't even know that the hole was the basement to a massive antenna-like sturcture. Best thing is getting to grapple distance and grappling the rest of the way down. Don't need a parachute when you're being AWESOME.

See, the science is that when you slightly redirect your falling distance and take control of your terminal velocity, you can land safely on the ground, so long as YOU'RE the one controlling how fast you're slamming into the ground with the hook. This game has the best science.

pr0cs

I would really like to see some of the tools they put together to create the game world. It is sort of amazing in a creepy-eery type sort of way. You can often forget about how detailed the world is when you're always grapple-chuting around or using the flying vehicles.
I remember stealing a boat and realizing that the world where I was really felt like the bayou. Dusk with little house lights on, swamp with tree roots overhanging into the water. Amazing stuff really if you look at it from an artistic level.
I wonder how they generated a game world this size to fit on DVD, still have a very livable realistic world on one level yet you can zoom out 1-2 kilometers. The world isn't procedurally generated but it seems so large and detailed and able to fit on last-gen technology.

Mad_Ban

Flib said:
I love this game so much, but I don't think I'll ever beat it. I just play like and hour here and an hour there, fucking around 'till I get bored...it's the perfect game for that. It's ridiculousness hits a zen sweet spot.
This is pretty much how I play it.

Have a blast for an hour doing random shit and missions, then get bored and turn it off. Then come back an hour or two later... :lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
Darkflight said:
Just got an email stating that Fraps 3.20 has a new feature where it'll always record and then let you save the last 30 seconds like Xfire already has.

Should hopefully lead to more crazy videos being posted.

Sweet, I just found my 3+ year old registration e-mail, I hope it still works.

BTW I just got my copy (PC) and the Concrete Jungle performance was much worse than the demo section. Is it just a hard scene? I'll have to try some more tweaks, especially triple buffering.

Numpt3

Brannon said:
See, the science is that when you slightly redirect your falling distance and take control of your terminal velocity, you can land safely on the ground, so long as YOU'RE the one controlling how fast you're slamming into the ground with the hook. This game has the best science.
so true :lol

GHG

Gold Member
After playing this game for 6 hours straight today I came in to say the game has the best game engine ever. Seriously. The game world is just incredible. Boating down rivers and cannals into the sunset for 15 minutes to get somewhere should be so boring but it isn't for some reason. There's just something about the way the game looks and the atmosphere.

When your not creating chaos the game can be so relaxing. I really need to start taking some screenshots of this game.

Edit: Yes the concrete jungle is a hard scene on any computer. Limit your AA to a max of x2 and use the framerate limiter instead of v-sync. Look at the OP for tweaks.

UFRA

I came here just to post...

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! TAKE THAT OCD!!!!

I successfully discovered ALL locations on the map. :D

I'm also happy to report, there are 369 locations, but the stats say 368. When I discovered the last place it said "Locations Discovered: 369/368." :lol

Feels good, man.

DeadGzuz said:
BTW I just got my copy (PC) and the Concrete Jungle performance was much worse than the demo section. Is it just a hard scene? I'll have to try some more tweaks, especially triple buffering.

Personally on my rig I just expect to have some slowdown in the city...there is so much going on there especially if you are there at dawn/dusk.

UFRA said:

I'm also happy to report, there are 369 locations, but the stats say 368. When I discovered the last place it said "Locations Discovered: 369/368." :lol

Feels good, man.

LOL OCD isn't happy until you have achieved 100% of all 369 locations lol.

UFRA

LovingSteam said:

:lol Yeah that will be a task of mine eventually.

But for now, I was so sick of seeing groups of yellow squares all over the map for undiscovered settlements. It just bothered me so much lol.

Artadius

LovingSteam said:

I'm on my way to that.... I have about half of them 100% including the tough as shit city locations.

BTW, it should be put into the OP and has been mentioned a couple of times already... but the latest FRAPS release for registered users allows buffered video saving of the last thirty seconds. They also did some DX10 and DX11 optimizations so it runs even better now.

What's crazy is that the underwater sections of Just Cause 2 are just as detailed. There's coral, fish, interesting rock formation, etc...And it's different depending on where you are on the island. It's too bad the game doesn't do more with the underwater stuff, say enemy submarines (that of course you can hijack) or the ability to place explosive on the legs of oil platforms to sink them.

choaffable said:
What's crazy is that the underwater sections of Just Cause 2 are just as detailed. There's coral, fish, interesting rock formation, etc...And it's different depending on where you are on the island. It's too bad the game doesn't do more with the underwater stuff, say enemy submarines (that of course you can hijack) or the ability to place explosive
Yes. Submarines.

I hope that the devs treat this game like Crackdown and Burnout Paradise. Its such an awesome platform to add fun junk to.

Brannon

I wonder if they'll add stuff to that Lost island? Or just leave it there with no explanation whatsoever.

And maybe they can incorporate the Bolo grapple patch to the console versions. That would just be too awesome.

GHG

Gold Member
Submarines and underwater missions would be beyond awesome. Snorkelling kit would be awesome as well.

UFRA said:

Feels good, man.
:O 369! I found 368, where am I going to find that last place now :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I gotta say, at least for a console game, Just Cause 2 has the best 'splosions ever.
Both how they look and sound. I also love how vehicles almost always explode when you bail out of them, they totally did that on purpose.

GHG said:
After playing this game for 6 hours straight today I came in to say the game has the best game engine ever. Seriously. The game world is just incredible. Boating down rivers and cannals into the sunset for 15 minutes to get somewhere should be so boring but it isn't for some reason. There's just something about the way the game looks and the atmosphere.

When your not creating chaos the game can be so relaxing. I really need to start taking some screenshots of this game.

Edit: Yes the concrete jungle is a hard scene on any computer. Limit your AA to a max of x2 and use the framerate limiter instead of v-sync. Look at the OP for tweaks.

Seriously just flyng to the heights of the sky and then parachuting forever is so fucking relaxing and serene

Flib

Anyone have any suggestions for base jumping missions? I always end up spiraling wide and missing the second ring.

Also, some of the plane challenges are hard as hell, may need to switch to a heli.

Burger

The best suggestion I heard in this thread for a sequel would be to add outer space. Riding a rocket up to orbit would be mental, and instead of Panau, have a whole planet.

Jet packs, laser beams, dinosaurs. Just go to town. I think the less realistic they make it, the better!

Top Bottom