• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Sanic

Melhisedek said:
Can you get down that Lost hatch? Wonder if they hid some room there? Gotta buy this game regardless, can you play it with 8800GT 512?

I've yet to hear of anyone getting down the hatch, and if there is a way, it's not obvious. I'm very doubtful you can get down there.

moniker

I can't believe how much I'm loving this. It wasn't even on my radar before, but it's really great and I don't think I've had this much fun with a game in years.

I was probably 10 hours in before discovering just how great the parachute slingshot is. I mean, earlier I tried to get a decent car/heli when traveling shorter distances, but now I just use the parachute. When I'm in a tight spot and need to get away fast, parachute. When scanning areas for boxes, parachute. Etc. It feel like the game really opened up then and became even more awesome. I'm barely ever on the ground anymore :lol

somesang

Sethos said:
It's generic because every other game has the arcade-tard genre covered, realism or at least, an attempt at realism isn't mainstream.
Arcade-tard? Really?

My good friend, you should relax and go surfing on a plane as it falls towards the ground. Or maybe hang a soldier to a light post and have a fiesta, pinata and all. All you need now is fireworks, and you'll be goddamned if you can't figure that out.

Then again, you've done this all before in other games this generic and mainstream and buzzword.

Sethos

Banned
somesang said:
Arcade-tard? Really?

My good friend, you should relax and go surfing on a plane as it falls towards the ground. Or maybe hang a soldier to a light post and have a fiesta, pinata and all. All you need now is fireworks, and you'll be goddamned if you can't figure that out.

Then again, you've done this all before in other games this generic and mainstream and buzzword.

It's not fun with crappy animations, dreadful physics system and a pathetic rag-doll system and every vehicle and aircraft handles like a packet of crisps on wheels.

glaurung

Sethos said:
It's not fun with crappy animations, dreadful physics system and a pathetic rag-doll system and every vehicle and aircraft handles like a packet of crisps on wheels.
The exaggerated physics are there to make things more fun, not less.

But WTF would a packet of crisps on wheels feel like???

Sethos

Banned
glaurung said:
The exaggerated physics are there to make things more fun, not less.

Exaggerated, how? They are just bad, as in, everything looks and act stupid and that's not fun. Same shit with Saints Row and Saints Row 2, games focusing on "fun" and also forgotten within no time at all because everything was executed so poorly.

Realism is where the real fun is at, Euphoria physics FTW.

Sanic

Sethos said:

wut

Anyway, what games are you enjoying instead right now?

Sephon

Sethos said:
Exaggerated, how? They are just bad, as in, everything looks and act stupid and that's not fun. Same shit with Saints Row and Saints Row 2, games focusing on "fun" and also forgotten within no time at all because everything was executed so poorly.

Won't even comment on your opinions about JC2 since you appearently already made up your mind.
But I'd agree that Euphoria engine is fun, especially when the it makes all the people seem utterly retarded, now that's a fun reality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBBqYsvZ4dI (Euphoria engine in GTA4)

Sethos

Banned
Pandoracell said:
wut

Anyway, what games are you enjoying instead right now?

Oh some ArmA II + Ace Mod, a bit of GTA IV, Men of War and some Bad Company 2 ( PC ).

Sephon said:
Won't even comment on your opinions about JC2 since you appearently already made up your mind.
But I'd agree that Euphoria engine is fun, especially when the it makes all the people seem utterly retarded, now that's a fun reality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBBqYsvZ4dI (Euphoria engine in GTA4)

That video definitely ain't biased, lawl.

And yes, I made up my mind after playing the game *GASP* I just stated my opinion, the engine is amazing but the game itself is poorly executed then all the forum-addicts suddenly gets offended? You CAN have over the top everything but why does it always have to be wrapped in boring and lame vehicle handling, static animations and effects, poor sounds and EXTREMELY bad gunplay?

The first few hours are a riot but then it just goes downhill fast because cars aren't fun to drive, planes and helicopters aren't really fun to fly, shooting makes me depressive and all that is left is exploring which is basically the engine doing its thing ... So, another game + this engine = win.

Dynoro

Sethos said:

Yeah I hate when games focus on fun...
They can't all have oscar worthy dialogue after all.
Saint's Row 2 and Crackdown are my favourite sandbox games because they are pure fun to play and JC2 is just like them. I guess JC2 is just not for you.

eso76

Darklord said:
Holy fuck, Panau is HUGE. Thank god for fast travel. It can take forever to get across the map.

Actually i think even using vehicles too much ruins a lot of what Avalanche has built. Panau is gorgeous, i try to walk as much as i can; sure, it can take one hour to get to your destination on foot, but damn, you'll come across so much awesome stuff and breathtaking vistas.
I think you can say i had an epiphany walking on a path which lead in the woods on the top of a mountain, i could still hear the traffic coming from the road down below (like 100 meters below) and as i climbed higher i could see the sea in the distance and hear the waves and seagulls, until i was in a jungle so deep i couldn't see past the trees when i finally reached the top and discovered a huge ancient temple with a complex, fully explorable structure (which was maybe the 10.000th part of the whole map).

The game is just full of stuff like that and always zipping through the scenery on fast vehicles, let alone using fast travel, ruins what i think is the best part of JC2.

Sanic

Well of course you're entitled to your opinion but most people just disagree with you, and telling us the vehicles handle like a packet of crisps is a pretty poor way to support your argument.

And, I can't believe you find the execution of this game to be worse than GTA IV. I've never played in a more sterile, boring sandbox than that. See? I can have baseless opinions too.

lolz

Sethos

Banned
Dynoro said:
Yeah I hate when games focus on fun...
Saint's Row 2 and Crackdown are my favourite sandbox games because they are pure fun to play and JC2 is just like them. I guess JC2 is just not for you.

Crackdown was fun because it was executed beautifully throughout, felt like a quality product. JC2 and SR2 are games that are poorly executed and have too many 'budget' moments in them to even be fun. Perhaps they are just trying too hard.

Pandoracell said:
Well of course you're entitled to your opinion but most people just disagree with you, and telling us the vehicles handle like a packet of crisps is a pretty poor way to support your argument.

And, I can't believe you find the execution of this game to be worse than GTA IV. I've never played in a more sterile, boring sandbox than that. See? I can have baseless opinions too.

Good for you my brother, you quoted me, I didn't quote you initially - I usually don't give a shit about other people's opinion yet somehow everyone cares about mine. :lol

glaurung

Sethos said:
Crackdown was fun because it was executed beautifully throughout, felt like a quality product. JC2 and SR2 are games they are poorly executed and have too many 'budget' moments in them to even be fun.
You're probably setting fire to your own house here, Crackdown's story and the way it was told was a complete turd. And Crackdown had the same level of ragdoll that you get in JC2.

Sethos

Banned
glaurung said:
You're probably setting fire to your own house here, Crackdown's story and the way it was told was a complete turd. And Crackdown had the same level of ragdoll that you get in JC2.

Story, who gives a shit about stories in those sort of games? The vehicles in crackdown where fun the drive, shooting was actually a nice experience and the sounds were on the good side as well - Not to mention JC2 is released 3 years later and still doesn't manage to be the same quality.

So for its time, Crackdown was brilliant. For its time, JC2 is a pile of wank after a few hours.

Artadius

Sethos said:
Good for you my brother, you quoted me, I didn't quote you initially - I usually don't give a shit about other people's opinion yet somehow everyone cares about mine. :lol

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

Sethos

Banned
glaurung said:
Aw.

Though I guess we all deserve a junior telling us to hate the game we love.

No, I'm saying why I hate the game, not why others should.

This forum is really filled with over-sensitive people who take way too many things out of context, it's hilarious.

I'm so sticking around.

Sanic

Sethos said:
No, I'm saying why I hate the game, not why others should.

This forum is really filled with over-sensitive people who take way too many things out of context, it's hilarious.

I'm so sticking around.

We're just defending a game from your poor arguments, which you could have easily presented in a more mature and intelligent manner. It's not being oversensitive.

Anyway, i've finally unlocked the mission where I get to go to the LOST island (I feel like a broken record even saying that. It feels like every other post is about this place) looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Since we are posting clips ive got one, this was done live while streaming just cause 2, during the chase scenes music was lined up to give it a more epic feel, indiana jones, james bond and back to the future. This was the first time the music was used and it worked so well i decided to make a clip out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEml-X4n9KQ

Sorry about the quality but the thought is there

Sanic

Mr Cola said:
Since we are posting clips ive got one, this was done live while streaming just cause 2, during the chase scenes music was lined up to give it a more epic feel, indiana jones, james bond and back to the future. This was the first time the music was used and it worked so well i decided to make a clip out of it.

You just covered the whole spectrum there didn't you :lol The music is fitting, i'm not much of a fan of what's in the game myself.

steadfast

Last night I was getting a little frustrated with all the respawning military. Then I overloaded a pipeline near a military base and instead of Rico doing his normal laugh or "I love my job," I got:

"Take that, you pipeline jerks!"

All was forgiven :D

Salaadin

steadfast said:
Last night I was getting a little frustrated with all the respawning military. Then I overloaded a pipeline near a military base and instead of Rico doing his normal laugh or "I love my job," I got:

"Take that, you pipeline jerks!"

All was forgiven :D

I like when he says "Dont be offended. It was a design flaw, thats all"

:lol almost 22 hours in and only done 2 main missions and 3 faction missions, this is the ultimate sandbox for me, I'm going to be playing this game for a long time :D

ElyrionX

Anyone else think the choppers are way too slow? It takes forever to fly them around which makes them practically useless for exploring.

moniker

ElyrionX said:
Anyone else think the choppers are way too slow? It takes forever to fly them around which makes them practically useless for exploring.

Yes, that's my biggest gripe with the game. They feel really crippled.

darkwings

Banned
lol crackdown 2 looks like a turd compared to JC2. No contest.

http://www.gamereactor.se/media/74/crackdown2_207477b.jpg

2zny35i.jpg

also, JC2 has the most impressive large scale engine on the market today, Thats not low budget.

Harteex

Mr Cola said:

A shame about the quality, but the action was great :)

Edit:
Darkwings, seems like you can't hotlink to gamereactor, image doesn't show up unless I copy paste the address to it to a new tab.

Osietra

Banned
Does anyone know what the light blue dots on the map are? They're called collects or something.

Also playing this game on experienced, does it get unfun hard later on?

Sanic

Osietra said:
Does anyone know what the light blue dots on the map are? They're called collects or something.

They're just what they're called, collectables :). Each faction has a different kind. I don't think they count for anything but chaos and achievements/trophies.

GHG

Gold Member
Osietra said:

Yeh they're black boxes for something (can't remember).

Edit: ^^^ yeh what he said.

Pandoracell said:
They're just what they're called, collectables :). Each faction has a different kind. I don't think they count for anything but chaos and achievements/trophies.

Are you SERIOUS? Cotdammit......:lol :lol I never paid attention to those.

Sanic

Net_Wrecker said:
Are you SERIOUS? Cotdammit......:lol :lol I never paid attention to those.

I know what they are, but I still don't pay attention to them. I'm not really a fan of collecathons :lol

sammy

i played this damn game soooo much this weekend! :D

It really starts to unfold itself as your influence goes, 25 hours into it and I'm more focused on the faction missions around every corner than scrounging for weapons. I managed to level of a lot of my equipment and boy does that help

Top Bottom