• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Baloonatic said:
Yeah I have the BOLOpatch. I'm just talking about the speed of it really. I would rather just be able to instantly spawn stuff instead of having it delivered.

Being able to get any vehicle would be good though.

Well this isn't BOLO Patch but yeah, I agree, no idea why it needs to load that cutscene it just wastes time. If someone could mod that out it'd be great.

As for spawning any vehicle, well he managed to do it in the demo so its just a matter of time before its available for the full game.

Denzar

Man, something is wrong with me. I rather play this game than see my girlfriend...

It's been a while since I played a game this addictive.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Yeah, the deaths from explosions are sooooooooo annoying.

(side mission spoiler below)

I just did the mission where you have to blow up the three satellite rockets. At the third missile, I'm sitting on the top ready to plant my charge. A helicoper flies over, tries to shoot at me, but blows up the missile! I of course die instantly and had to start the mission all over again.

Linkzg said:
I'm fine with the black market stuff. They even let you drop a jet and I wasn't expecting that at all. If you want a better vehicle, just use the black market quick travel to get to one of the many, many airports.

my only real problem is that they hovercraft wasn't standard. It would come in handy big time. Instead of that I got some crappy semi-auto assault rifle for a preorder bonus.

I also wish they had some super exclusive items like a jetpack

I am amazed by the support the PC version of JC2 gets. I remember Just Cause 1 being bad on PC; PS2 port, no wide screen, poor controls, etc. but JC2 is what all console to PC versions should be: scales great, native 360 controller support with instant switching to kb/m, adds graphical options, steam works, easy to mod, etc.

You have the great and holy Humus to thank for a lot of that. I was bloody stunned when he went in and added the option for a framerate cap and FOV setting specifically because me and a couple guys on the B3D forum asked if they were possible. He isn't even on the JC2 project anymore but he put them in a patch anyway. He's my hero! :lol

Oh, and as for the reason why the game is DX10 only, well the editor actually uses a legacy DX9 codepath but even with less quality/fewer effects it only runs 50% as fast as the DX10.1 release version. Really shows the potential for DX10/10.1/11 when a decent PC developer is able to focus on it and isn't held back by spending time porting slow DX9 code.

Sanic

brain_stew said:
You have the great and holy Humus to thank for a lot of that. I was bloody stunned when he went in and added the option for a framerate cap and FOV setting specifically because me and a couple guys on the B3D forum asked if they were possible. He isn't even on the JC2 project anymore but he put them in a patch anyway. He's my hero! :lol

Oh, and as for the reason why the game is DX10 only, well the editor actually uses a legacy DX9 codepath but even with less quality/fewer effects it only runs 50% as fast as the DX10.1 release version. Really shows the potential for DX10/10.1/11 when a decent PC developer is able to focus on it and isn't held back by spending time porting slow DX9 code.

Are you talking about the editor they used in the creation of the game? Have they ever said anything else on that?

Pandoracell said:
Are you talking about the editor they used in the creation of the game? Have they ever said anything else on that?

Yeah their internal editor they were using the DX9 renderer as not all their PCs were upgraded to W7 yet, and no there's no plans to release it as an SDK or anything.

brain_stew said:
Yeah their internal editor they were using the DX9 renderer as not all their PCs were upgraded to W7 yet, and no there's no plans to release it as an SDK or anything.

Too bad, that would be really awesome.

Hey, any word on the new BOLOpatch revision release date?

RSTEIN said:
Yeah, the deaths from explosions are sooooooooo annoying.

(side mission spoiler below)

I just did the mission where you have to blow up the three satellite rockets. At the third missile, I'm sitting on the top ready to plant my charge. A helicoper flies over, tries to shoot at me, but blows up the missile! I of course die instantly and had to start the mission all over again.

I died the exact same way (TWICE!) when I tried that mission.

Been avoiding it ever since.

Not to mention it's an annoying mission anyway, what with each tower being so far away from each other and how there's a time-limit on it. F that mess mang.

elwes

Deepack said:
Had my PS3 freeze on me yesterday when I tried to upload a vid to YT. It also kinda bugs me that in some recorded video's the audiosync is off.

And hey there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFUzU1xb8mk

Anybody encounter those too?

Seems like an homage to Rico's nickname. :D

I've never had the PS3 freeze on me when uploading youtube videos, but the past few times I've tried to transfer a game recording to my Videos section, the game will get stuck on the "transferring to Videos" loading screen. My PS3 is still accessible and the game itself doesn't seem to "freeze" per se, but I am unable to actually transfer the video or navigate the game back to the main menu. The only way to fix it is to go back to the PS3 dashboard.

edit:
NEOPARADIGM said:

Not to mention it's an annoying mission anyway, what with each tower being so far away from each other and how there's a time-limit on it. F that mess mang.

I was so angry with that mission. It wasn't hard, but the issue I had above (video file not transferring to the PS3's Videos) happened at the very end. I ended up taking out the final rocket by flying into the bottom of it (Independence Day style) with the Fighter Jet. I wanted to make some kind of "Welcome to Earf!" youtube video title so I tried to transfer it only to have the game lock. Had to do play the mish twice. D:

Denzar

elwes said:
Seems like an homage to Rico's nickname. :D

I've never had the PS3 freeze on me when uploading youtube videos, but the past few times I've tried to transfer a game recording to my Videos section, the game will get stuck on the "transferring to Videos" loading screen. My PS3 is still accessible and the game itself doesn't seem to "freeze" per se, but I am unable to actually transfer the video or navigate the game back to the main menu. The only way to fix it is to go back to the PS3 dashboard.
Jep, had that several times too.

Really annoying when it's one heck of a vid :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Linkzg said:
my only real problem is that they hovercraft wasn't standard. It would come in handy big time. Instead of that I got some crappy semi-auto assault rifle for a preorder bonus.

Yes, I am quite resentful of this different items from different retailers preorder bullshit. These aen't just cosmetic changes, they have an impact on gameplay. I really fucking hope they release them on Steam somehow.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
NEOPARADIGM said:

On my second try I got lucky. No helicopter approached for some reason. I guess if you hear the helicopter you could just wait and try to hijack it.

I didn't find the time limit to be a problem. Just jump off and parachute between them, using your grappling hook to gain momentum along the way.

I'm a ninja bitches! :D

justcause22010-03-3016hb97.jpg

On another note any with a decent enough rig to enable SSAO I highly recommend you use the alternative hidden rendering method. Personally I think it looks much better and it has less of a performance impact as well. Its looks very similar to the implementation in both Crysis and Shattered Horizon and that can only be a good thing.

Just type /hbao=0 /ssao=1 under "set launch option" in the game's properties window in Steam. Pretty much anyone using SSAO should do this imo, I'd also recommend leaving the ingame setting at "low" not much difference above that.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Hawkian said:
Yes, I am quite resentful of this different items from different retailers preorder bullshit. These aen't just cosmetic changes, they have an impact on gameplay. I really fucking hope they release them on Steam somehow.

Before the game came out, I remember reading all of the pre-order items would be made available as DLC somewhere down the line. That was posted by one of the devs I think on the official forum. I only need the monster truck.

11 hours in and 11% complete, FFFUUUU :lol Protip for friendly NPC's: don't walk in front of my minigun kthx.

elwes

MmmSkyscraper said:
11 hours in and 11% complete, FFFUUUU :lol P

I looked at my total game time last night and was surprised to find that I had only played for about 12 hours. I've barely 100%'ed the right-most island and I've only done 3 faction missions. Can't believe the longevity of this game.

DeadGzuz

Banned
My video from Fraps did not upload to Youtube, it could not convert it. Do I need to manually convert it first, with what?

So when you are screwing around and get stranded somewhere, how do you get back quickly, just drive? After one side mission I helped the chick from the demo liberate some mountain base, now I spawn there every time I die. How do I get more "bases", more missions?

Has this been mentioned?

I found another easter egg - nothing special, but an easter egg nonetheless.

Snowman with broom, charcoal eyes, the whole lot:

X:19829
Y:9897

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
@ssao hidden option: I will definitely give that a shot. I have it set to "off" in-game, does "low" actually do something that looks good?

Sanic

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Has this been mentioned?

Has't been mentioned in the thread yet. Can't wait to annihilate it!

DennisK4 said:
Is there any way to turn of crosshairs?

Turning of HUD works fine but the crosshairs remain.

Yep, latest BOLO patch can do that:

http://redirectingat.com/?id=629X1198&url=http://m0.to/BOLOPatch/BOLOPatchFullBeta.exe&sref=

Hawkian said:
@ssao hidden option: I will definitely give that a shot. I have it set to "off" in-game, does "low" actually do something that looks good?

Absolutely. Low and the "hidden" mode combined produce a really nice AO implementation without a huge performance hit.

ezekial45 said:
Avalanche Games wants to make JC3. It's good sign that the game is selling well (In the UK, at least):

http://www.develop-online.net/news/34329/Just-Cause-sequel-promising-as-Avalanche-rejoices

Judging from what the studio head is staying about the success of the game, Avalanche most likely won't be going under after all.
A sequel would be awesome, but I hope they have the ability to support JC2 with some DLC. How else are us console folk going to get submarines and dinosaurs?

PC guys already have infino-grapples and sunglasses and ninja outfits for fucks sake ;P

Edit: Congrats Avalanche - the game deserves every bit of success. 24 hours in and I'm only at 15% completion.

DeadGzuz

Banned
brain_stew said:
You just need to alt-tab out once then set the values you want, you don't have to touch after that.

Cool. I had my keyboard nearby just for Fraps. I was playing un-modded last night, now it is time for mods!

NullPointer said:
A sequel would be awesome, but I hope they have the ability to support JC2 with some DLC. How else are us console folk going to get submarines and dinosaurs?

PC guys already have infino-grapples and sunglasses and ninja outfits for fucks sake ;P

Edit: Congrats Avalanche - the game deserves every bit of success. 24 hours in and I'm only at 15% completion.

I keep wondering if there's anything special underwater or not. Too much space to explore though.

brain_stew said:

Yea
it's called Cape Carnival. You go there for a faction mission. Not sure if it is anything more than a glorified airport/military base. However, it's awesome to see the rockets/launch pads.

Brannon

Right, so after accidentally crashing a jumbo jet into an oil rig (I love this game), I began to think... probably not PC for an official dev to do it, but 4 cranes built together really tall, antenna in the middle, and a jumbo jet.

Eh?

Eh?

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Has this been mentioned?

Nice. :D

I still haven't gotten my copy (last time I use Amazon's free shipping, grrr) but I love seeing stuff like this. The first game's world was impressively huge but ultimately pretty lifeless, so it's great to see that this game rewards exploration with so many little easter eggs.

Hawkian said:
they will. for extra money. woohoo current gen antics!

Top Bottom