• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Numpt3

Can't believe you guys in the US get this today and us lowly Europeans have to wait untill friday! Ah well I guess a marathon session on the demo is in order tonight :D

KAP151

m0ngo said:
Can't believe you guys in the US get this today and us lowly Europeans have to wait untill friday! Ah well I guess a marathon session on the demo is in order tonight :D

We got at least another week, so don't complain.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just played about 40 minutes. Visually (PC) the game seems to look much better than the demo did.

I have it set fully maxed at 1080p, 4x AA, and it's >30 solid.

justcause2pc01.jpg

Pennybags

Bear said:
Picked up the game a little while back. I've messed around with it a bit and did a few missions. Pretty fun romp so far, it's a wild game.

One thing I don't get, though. If Panau is supposed to be a secret island, why in the hell do they have an
international airport
?

It's a
secret international airport
. This is a game of ninjas, monster trucks equipped with machine guns, and the ability to hang enemies off a helicopter, after all. Logic is no issue here.

If anyone can post eyefinity impressions of the full version of the PC game plz do so, otherwise I will tonight after I get home and play it some. I know the demo ran like garbage in eyefinity, when BFBC2 runs perfectly fine. I'm hoping that was a problem with the demo.

p.s.

downloading on steam now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have it set fully maxed at 1080p, 4x AA, and it's >30 solid.
What are your specs?

I'm running an i7-930@3.8GHz + 5870 and I was able to get a rock solid 60 fps in the demo by dialing down just a couple settings to medium. I did everything I could to drop the framerate, but it would not budge. Looked incredible.

What I'm curious about is whether or not your performance has varied from the demo. Does it seem any more demanding in spots?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
dark10x said:
What are your specs?

I'm running an i7-930@3.8GHz + 5870 and I was able to get a rock solid 60 fps in the demo by dialing down just a couple settings to medium. I did everything I could to drop the framerate, but it would not budge. Looked incredible.

What I'm curious about is whether or not your performance has varied from the demo. Does it seem any more demanding in spots?

i7 @ 3.6ghz, 5870

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EviLore said:
i7 @ 3.6ghz, 5870
You should be able to achieve a perfect 60 fps then, by simply dropping a couple of settings (I can't recall which ones, but the loss in fidelity was incredibly minor).

The game runs beautifully on PC. Even bumping some of the settings down to medium, it definitely outshines the console version. Just turning off motion blur gave me an extra 10fps...

I tried to do the "cool guys don't look at explosions" thing only to realize that I was still in the blast radius and fell on my face. oops. Can't wait to get home tonight.

Salaadin

I know you said it looks better but does it run better too? I was having weird varying framerate issues in the demo (i5 750, HD5850, 4GBs RAM) and was wondering if this is better in the final version.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Game should be in from amazon sometime later today. Still would love to read som reviews.

EviLore said:
i7 @ 3.6ghz, 5870

I am ashamed of my computer especially being a computer engineer lol. I try to stick to console gaming. Once I save some more funds/get another source of income/ finish my phd then I can afford another computer.

EviLore what are your thoughts on the game so far?

sdornan said:
GamesRadar gave it an 8.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/just-cause-2/review/just-cause-2/a-2010031915329567069/g-20080130113133479045

The island of Panau is absolutely stunning. Drop-dead gorgeous, awe-inspiring, Megan Fox-in-a-white-cotton-negligee (replace with dude of choice if you want) delicious – whatever words you want to throw at it, there’s no way in hell you’re ever going to do it justice. And anyone who says otherwise is an imbecile. Even if Avalanche had sprayed it with cough syrup, we’d have worked our hungry tongues all over it, from its luscious tropical peninsulas to its snowy mountain peaks.
smh

DMPrince said:
how does the game hold up if you played 30+ hours in the demo. is there anything new in the full game that we haven't seen?
30+ hours wow. I would assume the demo did not have everything finalized even if you broke out of the small space that we were allowed to traverse. Maybe I am wrong.

stump sock said:
The game runs beautifully on PC. Even bumping some of the settings down to medium, it definitely outshines the console version. Just turning off motion blur gave me an extra 10fps...

I tried to do the "cool guys don't look at explosions" thing only to realize that I was still in the blast radius and fell on my face. oops. Can't wait to get home tonight.
Are we assuming that they did no fixes to the console version? Just wondering was not sure if the demo was indicative of the final version of the game. I know the pc version will probably always look better.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Game is fun. Kinda annoying to get 100% on some of the locations, since things can be so spread out and you don't have the greatest ways to track upgrade boxes and government owned structures, but the easy solution to that is just to not go out of your way to get 100%, just blow things up as you see them and whatnot.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
EviLore said:
Game is fun. Kinda annoying to get 100% on some of the locations, since things can be so spread out and you don't have the greatest ways to track upgrade boxes and government owned structures, but the easy solution to that is just to not go out of your way to get 100%, just blow things up as you see them and whatnot.
The little gps icon on the top left of the map helps a little with those items. For some reason that thing is not enabled on the screenshots you showed us. Is it only active during missions,unlocked later or just missing?

MThanded said:
The little gps icon on the top left of the map helps a little with those items. For some reason that thing is not enabled on the screenshots you showed us. Is it only active during missions,unlocked later or just missing?
that only pops up when you are near a upgrade.

some command line options from the demo

/failsafe Run in failsafe mode (ignore settings)
/fullscreen Fullscreen mode
/windowed Windowed mode
/width=n Width in pixels (fullscreen/windowed)
/height=n Height in pixels (fullscreen/windowed)
/widthFS=n Width in pixels (fullscreen)
/heightFS=n Height in pixels (fullscreen)
/widthW=n Width in pixels (windowed)
/heightW=n Height in pixels (windowed)
/msaa=n MSAA sample count
/vsync=b Enable/disable V-sync
/aniso=n Anisotropic filter (0-7, default: 7)
/shadows=n Shadow quality (0-2, default: 1)
/shadowres=n Shadow resolution (0-1, default: 0)
/ssao=b Enable/disable SSAO (default: disabled)
/hbao=b Enable/disable HBAO method for SSAO (default: enabled)
/plspec=b Enable/disable pointlight specular (default: disabled)
/posteffects=b Enable/disable posteffects (default: enabled)
/lodfactor=n Geometric detail (0-3, default: 0)
/decals=b Enable/disable decals
/edgefade=b Enable/disable edge fade effect
/filmgrain=b Enable/disable film grain effect
/frameratecap=, default: disabled)
/dxbuffers=, default: 1)
/fovfactor=, typical values 1.0 - 2.0)

zsswimmer

How well could I run this game on my laptop:
C2D @ 2.8ghz
6gb RAM
GTX 260M

Would it be worth getting this on PC or xbox 360 in my case? T

tim1138

Picked up my PS3 copy this morning from GameStop and put around an hour or so into.
I have to agree with EviLore that getting 100% is probably going to be a pain on some of the missions, just due to the size of the complexes and what you're doing. Regardless, it's a blast to play and the ability to capture video and upload it to YouTube should make for some fun highlight swapping.

My first attempt with the video capture - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfIJxWMMdU
It does contain partial spoilers I suppose, so you've been warned.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Living outside of NA it really blows i have to wait a few more days for this game. I havent done it before but can you get someone from NA to gift it to you, and in doing so be able to play the game early in European territories? Ive never been sure what the protocol was, whether its tied to the NA account, and thus unlock able, or whether its activated in my country and thus blocked from playing til release.

If any fine NA folks are up for a gift/paypal swap id be most gracious.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm currently playing Saboteur which sidesteps the whole '100% problem' by selling maps that list off the exact locations of anything that requires collecting/scouring/blowing up/etc...

Though the in-game map ends up with thousands of white dots scattered everywhere to grab attention, it's the sort of respect for the player that makes open-world gaming fun and "FAQ-less".

Pixel hunting in a game involving 400-square miles of terrain is kind of a mood killer, as awesome as it does look to be. This is the sort of game that speaks directly to my internal OCD achievement-whoredness afterall.

tim1138

foomfoom415 said:
Wow they really compressed that video to shit :( Is there an adjustable quality setting or anything?

I didn't see anything in the in game menus about it, but to be frank didn't spend too much time looking around, I assumed it would upload it in 720p since thats what it was recorded at. If no one else answers, I'll let you know when I get home from work later on this evening.

Wizman23

Banned
The lack of impressions is very disappointing. Did everyone blow their load on the demo and decide against buying the game? Even shit games would be at 20 pages by now on release day.

zsswimmer said:
What kind of setup do you have? I tried running the demo on my computer and it was laggy until I lowered a lot of the settings, so I probably have to go with the 360 version.

You do realise the 360 version has a lot of settings lowered by default as well right? Like most multiplatform games its roughly equivalent to low/medium PC settings @ 720p. All the high end options are just bonuses for the PC crowd. If you're on a low end system be sure to cap your framerate at 30fps as well, should make it much smoother.

Considering how much the mods added to the demo and how great performance was I'd say anyone with a 8600GT and a Core 2 Duo or better really should't be considering anything other than the PC version imo. Its one of the best "ports" of this generation.

Weenerz

Banned
tim1138 said:
Picked up my PS3 copy this morning from GameStop and put around an hour or so into.
I have to agree with EviLore that getting 100% is probably going to be a pain on some of the missions, just due to the size of the complexes and what you're doing. Regardless, it's a blast to play and the ability to capture video and upload it to YouTube should make for some fun highlight swapping.

My first attempt with the video capture - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfIJxWMMdU
It does contain partial spoilers I suppose, so you've been warned.

Shoot out the tires man, the tires!

Artadius

Wizman23 said:
The lack of impressions is very disappointing. Did everyone blow their load on the demo and decide against buying the game? Even shit games would be at 20 pages by now on release day.

too busy playing :D

It's pretty great. I put in over 24 hours into the demo, full game is no disappointment.

MassiveAttack said:

Yeah, the writing and voice acting aren't that good (although Swedish developer Avalanche Interactive tries its damndest to be funny, God bless their icy Scandinavian hearts), and the story kinda doesn't make sense -- but who in the ninth circle of Satan's butthole cares? This game is so well designed that time after time in my playthrough I thought, "Man, wouldn't it be great if this game had X?" and then, lo and behold, X appears, like the albatross to the Ancient Mariner, except in a totally good way that doesn't cause the mass suffering and death of my shipmates. Honestly, I can't think of any reason why anyone who loves video games won't enjoy JC2. Learn it. Love it. Live it.

:D

dark10x said:
What are your specs?

Oh, incase you missed it, there's an option for a framerate cap in the PC version now as well. You're probably not going to need it, but its nice to be able to push the settings to insane levels and not get a single drop, even on more modest hardware. They've done a stunning job with the PC optimisation.

Weenerz

Banned
So is this one of the best turn around cases for a franchise? The first JC was dogshit and JC2 is pretty damn amazing.

Top Bottom