• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

zsswimmer said:
How well could I run this game on my laptop:
C2D @ 2.8ghz
6gb RAM
GTX 260M

Would it be worth getting this on PC or xbox 360 in my case? T

It'll run 2-3x faster on your laptop than the 360 version with similar settings, and then there's the mods in the PC version, so yeah there's really no choice to be made.

From what I've gather 360 equivalent settings would be:

Shadows: Medium
Object Detail: Low
SSAO: None
High Res Shadows: No
AA: 2x msaa
AF: ~2x/4x
Resolution: 720p
Motion blur: Yes
Enhanced Water: No
Bokeh Filter: No
Soft Particles: On
Decals: On
Point Light specular: Off

It still looks great at those settings, but obviously you can tweak the PC version a lot further than that. If you set you laptop to those settings though, you'd be getting a perfect 60fps.

So if anyone is having an issue with performance in the PC version, try out those settings and enable the 30fps cap (details linked in the op) and you should be able to get a great looking and smooth performing game on anything from a 8600GT and above.

TheKurgan

Got my Copy from EB Games yesterday afternoon and was able to put a few hours into it. The scope of this game just blows me away. I was able to jack a little jet at an air force base on the East side of Panau and took a quick spin around the island. HUGE is and understatement – there is no way in hell I will be able to explore all of it. It’s also way too easy to get sidetracked. A 3 km trip between 2 missions took me over an hour because I had to destroy a town and small military base on the way. :D

I agree 100% completion on the missions can be a real pain. Took me over an hour to clear out a power plant – stupid power generator hiding behind a couple of cargo containers took me forever to find. Only really an issue if you’re a completionist.

I also wish ammo wasn’t so hard to come by. Hopefully this becomes less of an issue once you upgrade your guns a bit.

tim1138 said:
My first attempt with the video capture - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfIJxWMMdU
It does contain partial spoilers I suppose, so you've been warned.

Cool little video - makes me wish I would have bought the PS3 copy so that I could share some of funnier moments in this game. On that same mission you recorded I didn't fire my gun once - it was too much fun using my grappling hook to fling those jeeps off the road. :)

Edit: Hey I just realized I didn't get a GameStop preorder code. Was it in the box?

Wiggum2007

Guys, if the demo is any indication, you don't need to get the 100% military base complete during a mission, you can always go back later and collect upgrades/destroy military targets. Or maybe you know this and I'm just interpreting your posts wrong.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
brain_stew said:
Considering how much the mods added to the demo and how great performance was I'd say anyone with a 8600GT and a Core 2 Duo or better really should't be considering anything other than the PC version imo. Its one of the best "ports" of this generation.

yeah it's really astounding. i can play the demo in 1080P with almost constant 30fps (using framecap) on my TV with a Radeon HD3870 and a dual core CPU!!! and my settings aren't that low either. everything on high except shadows on middle. no motion blur and no AA. but looks still better then consoles.

can't wait till my preorder arrives :)

Weenerz said:
So is this one of the best turn around cases for a franchise? The first JC was dogshit and JC2 is pretty damn amazing.
right up there with assassins creed 2, I thought AC 1 was crap and AC 2 was amazing, JC2 is like that.

Darklord

Banned
dark10x said:
You should be able to achieve a perfect 60 fps then, by simply dropping a couple of settings (I can't recall which ones, but the loss in fidelity was incredibly minor).

I have a i7 920, 6gb ram, 260GTX and can't hit 60. I get around 40-50 on average but in the bigger firefights it'll drop into the 30's.

These are my settings:
eg4sqs.jpg

PSGames

FoxhoundNL said:
Okay. Wasn't interested at all in this game, the reason I decided to take a look at this thread anyway was because I thought the thread name was funny :lol.

But shit, I gotta admit. The news (to me at least) that there's a Youtube recording/sharing feature in this game is AWESOM-O. This GIF also convinced me of the fun to be apparently had in JC2:

w1a4j9.jpg

Are there plenty of towns/cities to just fuck with people living their ignorant lives? I hated the barren Desert like shit in San Andreas....

Wow that gif has definitely peaked my interest. Time to download the demo hopefully it doesn't disappoint! :D

Darklord said:
I have a i7 920, 6gb ram, 260GTX and can't hit 60. I get around 40-50 on average but in the bigger firefights it'll drop into the 30's.

These are my settings:
eg4sqs.jpg

Turno off "enhanced water" it'll eat about a 1/3 of your framerate (even when there's no water on screen).

You might as well turn on "high res shadows" and crank up the AF to 8x/16x as well, shouldn't affect your framerate much at all, and it'll look much better.

TheKurgan

Wiggum2007 said:
Guys, if the demo is any indication, you don't need to get the 100% military base complete during a mission, you can always go back later and collect upgrades/destroy military targets. Or maybe you know this and I'm just interpreting your posts wrong.

Yep you are correct. After a mission is complete I am usually at around 50-70% and then I will walk around a blow the rest of the stuff up. I think you get a Chaos/Cash bonus for getting 100% - might be wrong.

DrBo42

Fuck I dunno what to do. I can only buy 1 game right now and I don't know whether I should get this or God of War III. Just Cause 2 seems like it has more bang for your buck, but I haven't really been following GOW enough to know its replay value. Halp?

DrBo42 said:
Fuck I dunno what to do. I can only buy 1 game right now and I don't know whether I should get this or God of War III. Just Cause 2 seems like it has more bang for your buck, but I haven't really been following GOW enough to know its replay value. Halp?

GoW 3 supposedly is 8-10 hours. It supposedly is epic (will be receiving it next week via Goozex). Just Cause 2 seems like it would LAST LONGER in terms of enjoyment but hey, they both are awesome. I would purchase GoW 3 right now, beat it, then trade it in via Goozex for 1000 points and request Just Cause 2 right now (line will be going fast). You should receive it in a few weeks if you add it right now.

DrBo42 said:
Wtf is Goozex? :lol

Ahh you have so much to learn kimosabe.

http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/homepage.asp?fic=G

Basically each game has a point value (GoW 3 and JC2 are 1000 points). You have a game someone wants. It matches you up with the person. You send them the game, you have 1000 points added to your account. You request a game you want (JC2) and it finds a match for you and the person sends you the game. In the last two weeks I have received Ass Creed 2, Uncharted 2, Infamous, GoW 3 is on its way and I am 8th in line for Heavy Rain and 26th for Just Cause 2.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373880

tim1138

TheKurgan said:
Got my Copy from EB Games yesterday afternoon and was able to put a few hours into it. The scope of this game just blows me away. I was able to jack a little jet at an air force base on the East side of Panau and took a quick spin around the island. HUGE is and understatement – there is no way in hell I will be able to explore all of it. It’s also way too easy to get sidetracked. A 3 km trip between 2 missions took me over an hour because I had to destroy a town and small military base on the way. :D

I agree 100% completion on the missions can be a real pain. Took me over an hour to clear out a power plant – stupid power generator hiding behind a couple of cargo containers took me forever to find. Only really an issue if you’re a completionist.

I also wish ammo wasn’t so hard to come by. Hopefully this becomes less of an issue once you upgrade your guns a bit.

Cool little video - makes me wish I would have bought the PS3 copy so that I could share some of funnier moments in this game. On that same mission you recorded I didn't fire my gun once - it was too much fun using my grappling hook to fling those jeeps off the road. :)

Edit: Hey I just realized I didn't get a GameStop preorder code. Was it in the box?

Oh man, I didn't even think of using the hook on the jeeps, definitely going to have to give that a try. I love how many different ways there are to get through the missions in this game, essentially two people could have vastly different experiences.

My preorder code was an insert in the box, it was in front of the manual when I opened the case.

Keir_Eidos said:
Happy Just Cause 2 Release Day people of America and Canada!

Love this thread ^*___________^

Keir, just have to say I have played many demos in my life and many games but this one stands out! Seriously, you guys did an AMAZING job!

Artadius

LOL

"'Reports earlier that the gang faction, The Ular Boys, had taken over a local nuclear power plant have been said to have been false' says a local Panauan official. 'It was only engines backfiring.'"

111mtz6.jpg

Ok folks, here is the deal. As I announced earlier in the thread, we will be having contests for the best stunts and chaos. The winner will receive a $10 game via Steam or via Paypal.

The first winner for the best stunt/explosion/chaos will be announced Friday, April 2nd. Here is how we will do it. If you have a gif format, post it here. If its via Youtube, post the link here. All of you will be voting for the winner.

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
LovingSteam said:
Keir, just have to say I have played many demos in my life and many games but this one stands out! Seriously, you guys did an AMAZING job!

That's great to read fella, thanks. I'll pass it on
thumbsup.gif

Darklord

Banned
brain_stew said:
Turno off "enhanced water" it'll eat about a 1/3 of your framerate (even when there's no water on screen).

You might as well turn on "high res shadows" and crank up the AF to 8x/16x as well, shouldn't affect your framerate much at all, and it'll look much better.

Wow, no kidding! Enhanced water turned off put my framerate up to 80-90. Thanks.

Edit: Man, enhanced water looks great too. Not worth a chunky frame rate though.

Pentadact

Neo Member
Artadius said:
screenshot_228992.jpg

:lol :lol

Man, it took me ages to figure out why that shot seemed so familiar, then I remembered I took it. Context - to be fair, there are 99 others there. But I am getting old.

Guarantee this one will happen to some of you.

Bolopatch doesn't work with the full version yet, right? I haven't had any luck so far but mine's a review version, so it could conceivably by slightly different.

As far as graphics settings on PC, I've found that each of those last seven options costs you about 5fps for no real boost in visual quality. Shot of the settings I used when reviewing here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=240105

Just put 4 and a half hours into the game. Only 6% complete. This game is soooooo good. And it is absolutely gorgeous. Riding across the desert on a moped during sunrise, flying across the world on a bright sunny day, base jumping during a lightning storm...wow. The only problems I can see are that the missions might get repetitive and trying to 100% areas can be tricky.

Sanic

hahaha the dialog and writing are both so terrible yet awesome :lol

About an hour in so far. Had to take a quick (well, 20 minute) detour to the city area and scale the highest building only to miss a jump and kill myself before I could look at the view :/.

Artadius

I'll echo that turning off alot of the fluff in the settings which don't really affect much immensely improves framerate. I'm loving this engine they've developed for the PC.

RS4-

It was a bad idea trying to fly one of the faster planes under a bridge. Got owned immediately :lol

Gonna find one of the slower prop. planes to try and get the 30 sec achievement.

Darklord said:
Wow, no kidding! Enhanced water turned off put my framerate up to 80-90. Thanks.

Edit: Man, enhanced water looks great too. Not worth a chunky frame rate though.

I'd have probably kept it on if it only affected performance when there's actually water on the screen but that it batters performance no matter what the scenario makes it pretty hard to justify.

Keir_Eidos said:
Happy Just Cause 2 Release Day people of America and Canada!

Love this thread ^*___________^

I have a copy from Kmart sitting at home, but I'm an hour and a half away at college so probably won't be able to play it for a few weeks. :(

Looking forward to it though. :D

Just Cause 3 needs co-op, or if it was possible, do it for this as DLC

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
CrazedArabMan said:
I have a copy from Kmart sitting at home, but I'm an hour and a half away at college so probably won't be able to play it for a few weeks. :(

Looking forward to it though. :D

Just Cause 3 needs co-op, or if it was possible, do it for this as DLC

Normally I'd underline the importance of studying, but in this instance it's OK to let your further education suffer. Pop home and get it :D

Bah, I'm starting to really regret going with Amazon's free shipping instead of just preordering on Steam. This wait is going to be unbearable, and it's even worse knowing that all I really need out of that package is the CD key.

Top Bottom