• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just learned about "Steam Press accounts" from back in the day. Any other cool little "industry secrets" from olden times?

jcorb

Since the closure of Game Informer, I've really been thinking a lot about how much I regret not having taken up an internship with them back around 2011. Been listening to a lot of MinnMax's coverage and celebrating the magazine, and happened to learn about these "Press accounts" on Steam, that apparently Steam used to offer larger review outlets, which seemingly save them access to every game on Steam?

Not sure if they just stopped the program entirely, or if older accounts are still grandfathered in for newer games. With how many people are making gaming content on youtube and twitch these days, it's probably almost impossible to label who is and isn't "press". Still, it's kind of crazy to think how much easier it would be to review games if you had completely unrestricted access to games; I'd never even heard of the program, and I'd had a pretty strong interest in gaming journalism back in the day.

Just kind of gets me thinking about what other cool little "industry secrets" or "perks" may have existed in the past, but maybe don't so much now? Or even just stuff that exists, but most people don't know about?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah Gerstmann has talked about this a lot. Pretty sure they still exist, but only for traditional media types. It’s also not every game, publishers have to opt in.

Something that exists, and Im not sure if it's allowed is steam account sharing. You can log in with someone elses account, download a game they own, and set steam to offline mode after downloading that game.

You can then play that game in offline mode while the owner can still play like normal in online mode.

There's even forums (maily asian) that offer this. Some even free of charge.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not really a secret but your home Xbox console has all your digital games.
Your account also has all your digital games.

Want to co-op with a buddy?
Buy the game on your home console.
Login on another console/PC
Play together.

Also works with Gamepass the console has the sub, your account also has the sub.

Everytime I co-op Gears or Halo I just log in on my buddies console and he uses my console/PC so we can play together.

Top Bottom