• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on a Loretta epilogue this season? Would be nice. Can't wait for next week; if there's a better show on TV right now I don't know it (and think you're wrong!).

AWESOME. Kind of figured she was done, glad to hear she might not be. What a wonderful performance she gave, doesn't get enough credit.

This show is one of those shows that is better than it should be, and we love it for that.

At first glance, it's a dime-a-dozen Quirky Cop shows. But then you get into it and each new episode that you see on Hulu or the telly gives you a feeling of.... this is good.

Can't wait.

I'm still struggling to figure out how in the hell did this show manage to go from "good enough to keep watching" to "One of the best shows I've ever seen" so quickly.

Purported season 3 premiere spoilers

In the season premiere, there's a great moment with Desmond Harrington's character, where he plays a little bit of a gun game with his victims by placing his gun in the middle of a table and saying whoever gets to it first, wins when counting down to one. He stabs them with an icepick in the hand instead of reaching for the gun and shoots them though. He does this twice in the premiere. The second time is with Raylon, who pulls the tablecloth instead of reaching for the gun. It's a really great, tense moment. It's like a mini-stand-off.

One more early review:

- 'Justified' fires off another bang-up season *spoilers*
Another question hanging over the third season is how "Justified" will compensate for the mighty loss of Martindale's Mags. Well, there are two new intimidating power players on the crime scene. [They] add plenty of firepower to the third season, and, after four episodes, you get the distinct feeling that things are only starting to heat up.

Fry

Loving this show. Watched the first four episodes of season one... I thought the pilot was excellent. The other three episodes have been either good/great, nothing special but this is definitely a keeper, and I'm excited to see the rest since I've heard from a lot of people it'll only get better.

A couple comments from critics at the Justified panel today from the TCA's:
Sepinwall said:
For those who keep asking about my Justified s3 review, it'll go up on Tuesday. Short version: I'm pleased.
Ryan McGee said:
I'll have a review of the season up before it airs Tuesday. I hope. If not, short version: really, really strong.
Todd VanDerWerff said:
Now we're talking to the folks from Justified. Season three starts very, very strong. And on Tuesday!

Did we expect anything less?
Nope.

A few quotes from Elmore Leonard from the panel this morning:
Deadline.com said:
Elmore Leonard — the legendary writer who provided the source material for the FX hit Justified and serves as an executive producer alongside showrunner Graham Yost — admitted during a TCA panel this morning that he’s always tried to make his stories as visual as possible so they’ll sell to Hollywood. ”From the very beginning I’ve been in it to make money,” the distinguished author said, “and writing visually is the way you do it.” He denied, though, that he cares so much about making money that he becomes indifferent to how the projects bearing his name actually turn out. “Of course I care how it turns out,” he declared. “I don’t just turn something in. But any writer is a fool if he doesn’t write for money. But it all goes together. It’s fun to sit there alone and think of characters and get ‘em into action and then get paid for it.” He has trouble understanding writers who are too shy to show their work to anyone. “I’m wondering, well then what are you doing it for?” Leonard stressed. “You want people to like it. Then you want to get paid for it.”

In the case of Justified, Leonard says that he’s satisfied with the way his words have been used and adapted. “The writing, I can’t believe it sometimes it’s so good,” he said. “It’s usually a lot better than what I would have done in a scene. These guys are pros.” But Leonard hasn’t always been happy with the end result, particularly on big screen projects. One would be The Big Bounce: It was made twice “because it wasn’t bad enough the first time,” he quipped. “I don’t think anyone in that picture even knew what it was about.” But be claims not to remember all of the bad ones.

Yost was told of what an executive producer on the forthcoming A&E western saga Longmire said at a TCA session on Friday night — namely, that while its lead character is driven by love and goodness, Justified lead Raylan Givens is defined by anger and violence. Yost: “I actually think Raylan is driven by a love of anger and violence. Well actually, I don’t think Raylan is driven by any one thing.” Leonard admitted that he didn’t understand that view of Givens. “I think he loves what he’s doing,” Leonard added, “and that’s killing a number of people.”

SyNapSe

It's kind of sad there aren't more posts about what is possibly the best show on TV. What kind of ratings do successful FX shows bring in? From the GAF interest level, it seems like they must be fairly low. The channel seems to have a penchant for creating gritty drama's. I never followed Sons of Anarchy but the episodes I caught seemed pretty good.

Looking forward to that crazy intro music to start a new episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df347-bEKUQ

What kind of ratings do successful FX shows bring in? From the GAF interest level, it seems like they must be fairly low.
Justified puts up solid numbers for an FX show (2.5-3.0M viewers per episode). I think SoA gets the highest viewership on FX with 4.0M+.

ivysaur12

Banned
Justified puts up solid numbers for an FX show (2.5-3.0M viewers per episode). I think SoA gets the highest viewership on FX with 4.0M+.

Yeah, but Sons and AHS skew a lot younger than Justified does.

In terms of the 18-49 demo, Sons of Anarchy > American Horror Story > Justified > It's Always Sunny > The League = Archer > Wilfred > Louie

- There's a few minutes on Justified's new season in this week's Sepinwall/Fienberg podcast:
Press Tour Week Two (00:00 - 44:35)
"Justified" (44:40 - 51:40)
"Unsupervised" (51:40 - 57:15)
"Touch" (57:20 - 01:06:00)
The Golden Globes (01:06:45 - 01:15:00)

Fry

I'm about to finish season one. But I gotta ask this: I saw the cast on IMDb and I noticed Walton Goggins's appearances ended in 2011. Is he not going to be in season three?

I'm about to finish season one. But I gotta ask this: I saw the cast on IMDb and I noticed Walton Goggins's appearances ended in 2011. Is he not going to be in season three?
He's back for S3. IMDB is sometimes slow to update their database.

Fry

He's back for S3. IMDB is sometimes slow to update their database.

Thank fuck, I thought he died and all, I was really pissed.

I watched up until the 10th episode this morning, I'm really enjoying it, the only weak episodes for me so far have been the 5th and 6th. It got a lot better after those two though.

Reviews and other content starting to pour in: *spoilers in all of these*

Reviews:
- TV Guide: 6 Reasons Why We're Pumped for Season 3
Let's raise a glass of "apple pie" moonshine in honor of the dearly departed Justified villain Mags Bennett. Margo Martindale's Emmy-winning portrayal was a huge part of what made the Southern-fried FX drama's second season such a thrilling ride and will no doubt be a tough act to follow. And executive producer Graham Yost knows it. "I would be lying if I said we didn't consider that," Yost tells TVGuide.com. "It gives you some pause that people responded so strongly to it. We're incredibly gratified with that, but it's also that the bar is set pretty high." Based on what we've seen so far, though, Justified (premiering Tuesday at 10/9c on FX) seems more than up to the challenge.
- Washington Post: Justified: Missing Its Mark?
Despite the wobbly start, there’s no cause to give “Justified” a thumbs down — fans will still like it and, historically, the writing has been too darn good. And “Justified” has the potential to do for the hollers of Harlan County what “The Wire” did for the streets of Baltimore.

Newcomers should lay hands on Seasons 1 and 2 to get a feel for “Justified’s” arresting blend of shoot-’em-up mayhem and Southern Gothic charm. Last season’s finale — when the rival clans sat down for a “parley” summit in a church even as the hills exploded in violence — is as fine a bit of writing as you will see on television.

As for this season, we’ll see where it goes. Right now, the hype ain’t justified.
- SF Chronicle: 'Justified', 'Southland' haven't lost a step
As for "Justified" itself, rest assured: It's as great as ever.

Articles:
- LA Times: Justified's Chemistry Experiment
- USA Today: Justified returns with new villains and more violence
- Kansas City Star: Elmore Leonard's creation is a complex hero for the modern world

A couple more quick reviews:

- Newsday: 'Justified' gets better and badder
Lean, laconic, precise and as carefully word-crafted as any series on TV, there's pretty much nothing here to suggest that the third season won't be as good as the second -- or better.
- RedEye Chicago: Season 3 explodes with new, old nemeses for Raylan
To say Raylan's sitting on a powder keg would be underselling it the new season (9 p.m. Jan. 17, FX; 4 stars). Based on a novella by Elmore Leonard, "Justified" continues to explode with superb writing, complex characters and rich acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom