• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 5 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 More Days!

Now for some more GIFS:

giphy.gif

tumblr_moibr0XrLY1s849d3o1_500.gif

I hope Raylan finds a proper hair salon and puts an end to that terrible half mullet he sported in S4.

You should see what Olyphant looks like between seasons. They had a S5 preview on Amazon and when they talked to him he had a beard and it looked like he hadn't cut his hair since S4 ended. Still looked like a bad ass, though.

mm04

I'm now part of this community after powering through the last 3 seasons during the holidays after dilly dallying through season 1. Glad this show hasn't gone astray after watching SOA go down the path of being unpalatable to me. Can't wait for this season to start.

- Detroit Free Press: As 'Justified' returns to FX, its star and creator fondly recall Elmore Leonard
Leonard’s death in August at age 87 makes this season of “Justified” a bittersweet reunion with viewers. There will be a 90-second tribute to Leonard accompanying the first episode. The brief segment is part of a much longer piece that eventually will be part of the Season 5 DVD, according to Yost. It will include interviews with cast members and others who worked with Leonard, plus readings from his novels.

Watching the Detectives. Where Quarles and Duffy try to frame Raylan for Gary's murder.
Oh, cool. I haven't seen that one in a while.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Cornballer the Mod. People who break spoiler rules better watch out!

Congrats, buddy :)

Audioboxer

Oh man, so excited! It's good to start this year with Raylan and Boyd smashing heads again in Kentucky. It's good to have Dewey back as well since I've missed that guy (I've got my girl friends into the show and watched the whole of series one last week). My favorite show on television <3

Shame there's not that many UK folk who watch it from over here though :(

UK-GAF checking in, love Justified. I watched seasons 1-4 over a space of about 4~5 months. Hyped for Season 5.

Hardly anyone I speak to here knows of it.

Hindle

Banned
Hmm reading the description for the series, it seems the show is continuing to be mostly standalone. With the S6 rumoured to be the last, I thought they'd build towards the end for S5.

Obviously I'm only going off descriptions so they could still do this.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
With the S6 rumoured to be the last, I thought they'd build towards the end for S5.

From the last thread:

It sounds very much like that's the case. Both Yost and Goggins have mentioned it recently. From a Goggins interview with TV Guide:

Goggins tells us that, as executive producer Graham Yost has hinted, the show is treating its fifth season as the beginning of the end. "We're all looking at it as 26 episodes, not 13," Goggins says, noting that he thinks that the sixth season will be its last. "I am looking at this as the longtail of my Justified experience. We're laying the groundwork for that."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hmm, so this season could be where Boyd finally rises to the top, and in S6 he's the main big bad for Raylan, which would be awesome. The show could end in so many ways come to think of it.

I'd say that's likely, yes. I've always thought of Boyd as the series' "main big bad" (of sorts) anyway, so I've always assumed that he'd be the main source of conflict in the final season. Screw all that "zomg bring in Ian McShane!!1!" nonsense. :p

As someone who has read a lot of Leonard, I agree with the main premise. So many of the movie adaptations screw up the humor and the dialogue and those are really the two best parts of his books. The humor is easier to mess up because its so subtle.

That's what makes the show so good, those wry little comments by Raylan or Boyd that aren't gut busters or whatever but show that this isn't some grim dark experience either.

Can't think of anyone more deserving of mod status.

This has probably been asked already, but do we know if Patton Oswalt is back for this season?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I knew when the other moderators were being coy about your existence that your modship was assured ;) congrats dude, well deserved.

cashman

Banned
Season 3 was fantastic Kind of surprised me how emotional the ending was. Now on to finish Season 4 and catch up with you guys!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I want to squee like a little school girl i'm so fucking excited for this to start up again!!

Me and my wife were watching Gone in 60 Seconds last night and my new favorite part of that whole movie is watching what i have convinced myself is a young Raylan coming up in his first job as a detective. So many of the lines delivered are done so in almost the exact style as he plays it in Justified only missing the baller accent.

"Are you sure cause you just went through a wall" Classic Givens.

Niraj

Oh man, this conversation in the second to last episode of season 3:

Limehouse: "Last time we spoke I thought we *chops leg* made it fairly clear the terms of our arrangement."

Quarles: "Hand to God, I took steps in the direction you indicated, however, my enemies derailed my plans."

Limehouse: "And you just figured you could walk up in here empty handed?"

blah blah blah, then:

Limehouse: "You are offering your loyal services, and there just might be a way I can use them if you understand there will be no derailing. Either you follow this plan to the end of the line or you add me to your list of enemies, which I assure you is not a place you want to find yourself, do we understand each other?"

All that foreshadowing :D Besides the hand stuff, Quarles says his enemies derailed him, and Limehouse warns that he'll be considered an enemy if Quarles doesn't follow his plans, which happens, and Limehouse ends up literally derailing him lol. Gotta love shit like that.

Oh man, this conversation in the second to last episode of season 3:

Limehouse: "Last time we spoke I thought we *chops leg* made it fairly clear the terms of our arrangement."

Quarles: "Hand to God, I took steps in the direction you indicated, however, my enemies derailed my plans."

Limehouse: "And you just figured you could walk up in here empty handed?"

blah blah blah, then:

Limehouse: "You are offering your loyal services, and there just might be a way I can use them if you understand there will be no derailing. Either you follow this plan to the end of the line or you add me to your list of enemies, which I assure you is not a place you want to find yourself, do we understand each other?"

All that foreshadowing :D Besides the hand stuff, Quarles says his enemies derailed him, and Limehouse warns that he'll be considered an enemy if Quarles doesn't follow his plans, which happens, and Limehouse ends up literally derailing him lol. Gotta love shit like that.

That's great. I've seen that season several times and never picked up on it. I'm sure they have a ton of stuff like this hidden throughout the show.

Niraj

That's great. I've seen that season several times and never picked up on it. I'm sure they have a ton of stuff like this hidden throughout the show.

Yeah same here man. Not sure why it leapt out to me this time but that's how those things go sometimes I guess. Just shows how strong the writing is.

That's what I got from your comment, and I agree. Limehouse is awesome.

lol, fair enough.

Just finished season 3 (holy shit, it's a piggy bank!). I think I'll be able to get through season 4 before the premiere :)

I'm watching "Peace of Mind" as I finish up the last two episodes in my S4 rewatch. It's a little bit of a comedown after "Decoy", but there's still a lot of good stuff with Rachel & Limehouse going at it, Boyd shooting the conspiracy theorist in the foot, and of course, Gutterson and Colt's final confrontation.
Just finished season 3 (holy shit, it's a piggy bank!). I think I'll be able to get through season 4 before the premiere :)
Not much time left!

Niraj

I'm watching "Peace of Mind" as I finish up the last two episodes in my S4 rewatch. It's a little bit of a comedown after "Decoy", but there's still a lot of good stuff with Rachel & Limehouse going at it, Boyd shooting the conspiracy theorist in the foot, and of course, Gutterson and Colt's final confrontation.

Not much time left!

Nothing to do today really :) I'm already on episode 2!

A couple more reviews:
Slant Magazine said:
The show's characters, whether major or minor, skirt familiar archetypes, but the writing and performances consistently subvert accepted lowlife caricatures, finding something less pointedly foreboding than odd and irrefutably human in Harlan County's heroes and villains. 3.5 out of 4 stars
NY Daily News said:
“Justified” has reached the point where we know some of its tricks. But thanks to Leonard and Olyphant and writer Graham Yost’s fine balance of humor and mayhem, it’s still an hour worth looking forward to. 4 out of 5 stars

Good stuff, thanks for posting. I'll add it to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom