• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 6 - The Final Showdown - Olyphant & Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

tokkun

Am I the only one thinking the plotline we were presented in this episode doesn't really add up?

Markham somehow knows weed is getting legalized, but no one else does, suggesting it would be done without a popular vote. And for some reason getting farm land in Harlan is worth committing multiple murders as opposed to buying farm land elsewhere in Kentucky?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Am I the only one thinking the plotline we were presented in this episode doesn't really add up?

Markham somehow knows weed is getting legalized, but no one else does, suggesting it would be done without a popular vote. And for some reason getting farm land in Harlan is worth committing multiple murders as opposed to buying farm land elsewhere in Kentucky?
I don't think Markham knows weed is getting legalized. I think Markham is reading the tea leaves on the national scene and betting that weed will legalized in Kentucky. Maybe buying the farmland in Harlan (no matter the cost) is his way of hedging that bet. Even if weed never gets legalized he still has plenty of land in a remote county of Kentucky where he can grow illegal weed.

Tokubetsu

God, Justified dialog has always been fire but this season is fucking ridiculous. Every other line is a quotable or setting up a quotable.

That preview :O

Nice to see Limehouse and Constable Bob :)
But things aren't looking good for Ava :(

I thought it was another great episode. I like the confrontation between Raylan and Markham. Sam Elliot can be so menacing while maintaining such a cool demeanor. I also like the Katherine and Ava scenes and learning about Katherine's real motivations. Mary Steenburgen does passive-aggressive very well too. And poor Ava, things are going bad to worse with her.

I also enjoy how a lot of the main characters this season all seem to have some kind of unfinished business or an axe to grind with someone but they may be biting off more than they can chew:

Boyd's plan to pull of one last heist (which went from robbing Markham's money to robbing Markham's entire plan and weed operation in Harlan)

Ava's conflicted plan to secretly bring down Boyd and escape Harlan (which has gotten progressively worse and more complicated in every subsequent episode)

Katherine's Hale overly ambitious plan to get revenge against Markham for what he did to her and Grady and stealing all his money. (she's playing with fire though as she is manipulating a lot of dangerous and unpredictable people that include Markham, Boyd, Ava etc.)

And even Raylan, whose original plan to take down Boyd has gotten more complicated with the involvement of Avery Markham. Art has been foreshadowing a bad outcome for Raylan in almost every conversation they had this season including this episode where he warned Raylan of the dangers of trying to bring down every bad guy that gets in his way.

I have a bad feeling that things are not going to end well for any of these characters :(

On a brighter note, it was nice seeing Dickie and Loretta again. Since this is the last season, I wouldn't be surprised to see a cameo in almost all the remaining episodes.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nice to see Limehouse and Constable Bob :)
But things aren't looking good for Ava :(

I thought it was another great episode. I like the confrontation between Raylan and Markham. Sam Elliot can be so menacing while maintaining such a cool demeanor. I also like the Katherine and Ava scenes and learning about Katherine's real motivations. Mary Steenburgen does passive-aggressive very well too. And poor Ava, things are going bad to worse with her.

I also enjoy how a lot of the main characters this season all seem to have some kind of unfinished business or an axe to grind with someone but they may be biting off more than they can chew:

Boyd's plan to pull of one last heist (which went from robbing Markham's money to robbing Markham's entire plan and weed operation in Harlan)

Ava's conflicted plan to secretly bring down Boyd and escape Harlan (which has gotten progressively worse and more complicated in every subsequent episode)

Katherine's Hale overly ambitious plan to get revenge against Markham for what he did to her and Grady and stealing all his money. (she's playing with fire though as she is manipulating a lot of dangerous and unpredictable people that include Markham, Boyd, Ava etc.)

And even Raylan, whose original plan to take down Boyd has gotten more complicated with the involvement of Avery Markham. Art has been foreshadowing a bad outcome for Raylan in almost every conversation they had this season including this episode where he warned Raylan of the dangers of trying to bring down every bad guy that gets in his way.

I have a bad feeling that things are not going to end well for any of these characters :(

On a brighter note, it was nice seeing Dickie and Loretta again. Since this is the last season, I wouldn't be surprised to see a cameo in almost all the remaining episodes.

Yeah, I was really impressed by Mary Steenburgen in this episode. She always seems really nice in most things, but she did a great job being creepy and threatening here. Sam Elliott is seriously just amazing so far. Steals the scene every time he's on screen. I don't know about the Raylan thing. I still think (hope?) it's a red herring.

"No means no!"

Good episode. The misadventures of Ava Crowder: snorting coke, being an accessory to jewelry theft, and the mindfuck of her release from jail not passing the smell test. Poor lady damn new brokedown at the end.

Hey it's so nice to see Dickie and Lorretta again. This final season owes us the chance of seeing as many survivors from past seasons once more.

And things have been so tense in these episode. I know it's byproduct of this being the final season and all, but the plotting and acting/direction are working well to get that point across too.

Linius

Great episode. Catherine is a hard woman to pin down. She's got Ava by the figurative balls.

Also fun to see Dickie and Loretta again. Dickie is just amazing, probably the only knucklehead I like more than Dewey.

Burt

Wow
He seemed serious
Kinda stunned

I'm sure he was just kidding, he's a jokester like that. Plus, I'm pretty sure I've read that the one nightmare on set was that woman that plays Raylan's wife.

Can't even remember her name now, guess Ava won that war.

Mind editing the gif out as a courtesy to people who don't watch the previews?
Sorry about that.

Loretta screws Dickie over one final time.

Awesome.

I wanna see a series where Loretta becomes a federal marshall that spends all her downtime trolling the fuck out of Old Dickie.

Niraj

I'm sure he was just kidding, he's a jokester like that. Plus, I'm pretty sure I've read that the one nightmare on set was that woman that plays Raylan's wife.

Sorry about that.

Oh no big deal man, hope I didn't come across poorly. Just didn't want anyone biting your head off :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm pretty sure I've read that the one nightmare on set was that woman that plays Raylan's wife.

QfwA2Es.gif

The war was over before it even began brah.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

The one thing that got cut out is, we had a follow-on scene where Boyd and Duffy go back to the Wiz's house to clean up, because they got the guts on them, and in comes Bridget [the girl with the snake], who was named in honor of Bridget Fonda, who was in Jackie Brown. She realizes the Wiz is dead, and she's furious, and Duffy gives her $10,000 to shut up, and he says, "And I mean, shut up. I mean you don't talk to anyone, and you stop talking now." And she says, "Well, this is the start," and he shoots her in the head. "I told you to stop talking."

One of the things that was going to come out in the scene was that it was her who had called the Wiz and rang his cell phone, which set off the explosives. We liked the idea of the Wiz being truly hoisted on his own petard — which, by the way, a petard was a grenade of some sort way back when. So he blows up on his own. We shot it, and we just felt that with the propulsion of the episode, it just wasn't necessary. Part of it was, we wanted to re-establish Duffy's badassery, but you know, you've had Jere Burns, you don't need to re-establish that.

I think that would have been a little much. I'm glad it was cut.

IronRinn

In Boyd's conversation with Ava he makes it sound like Markham has enough high powered people in his pocket to make legalization happen. I might be misinterpreting it though.

Linius

In Boyd's conversation with Ava he makes it sound like Markham has enough high powered people in his pocket to make legalization happen. I might be misinterpreting it though.

But that doesn't explain why Markham wants property in Harlan specifically. Why can't he grow his weed elsewhere in Kentucky. It's going to be legal state wide afterall.

Burt

But that doesn't explain why Markham wants property in Harlan specifically. Why can't he grow his weed elsewhere in Kentucky. It's going to be legal state wide afterall.

I don't think it's about him forcing anything in terms of legalization, and will eventually come down to a popular vote. Loretta and that comment about 'the way the wind's blowing' are evidence of that. Don't think Loretta would be planning for it 5 years in advance if it was only going to happen through Markham's machinations, considering she didn't know (of) him before this episode.

Markham's decision to keep everything in Harlan likely stems from its super crappy economy (and equally low land prices), apparently solid farmland, and fairly prolific criminal history, which might signal to him that he can take over land through 'alternative' means with less fear of repercussion than elsewhere. I would assume that he would want his grow operations consolidated as well, which means that he couldn't/wouldn't be buying plots up piecemeal throughout the state. He probably just ran the numbers, and Harlan came out on top.

Niraj

I think that would have been a little much. I'm glad it was cut.

Yeah, I don't think we need something that on the nose at this point. We already know what Duffy is capable of.

Duffy's always getting blood in his face lol

I don't think it's about him forcing anything in terms of legalization, and will eventually come down to a popular vote. Loretta and that comment about 'the way the wind's blowing' are evidence of that. Don't think Loretta would be planning for it 5 years in advance if it was only going to happen through Markham's machinations, considering she didn't know (of) him before this episode.

Markham's decision to keep everything in Harlan likely stems from its super crappy economy (and equally low land prices), apparently solid farmland, and fairly prolific criminal history, which might signal to him that he can take over land through 'alternative' means with less fear of repercussion than elsewhere. I would assume that he would want his grow operations consolidated as well, which means that he couldn't/wouldn't be buying plots up piecemeal throughout the state. He probably just ran the numbers, and Harlan came out on top.

Plus like he said, he knows the area. He probably thinks he knows how to exploit it. It's that kind of hubris where he probably thinks everything is going to be smooth sailing, but Raylan and Boyd always have a tendency to fuck that line of thinking up.

IronRinn

Yeah, I think the reason why he chose Harlan can be explained in any number of ways. It's kind of the least important part of the plot. Markham chose Harlan because he is a character on Justified and Justified takes place in Harlan County.

Linius

Obviously Justified takes places in Harlan mostly etc. etc. But that doesn't excuse the show to not have a good reason for him to set up shop in Harlan. But what Burt says sounds right indeed. He knows the area. Harlan has a history of criminals and it's probably cheap too.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The ultimate reason, without which we would never have known Sam Elliot without his glorious stache.

He can still mean mug like a boss though

justified-staredown.gif

What great casting.

Love that Raylan didn't flinch a bit during the staredown, he's so damn cocky.

Dewey was amazing as always, and it was great seeing Loretta again.

Fevaweva

I haven't watched any of the sixth seasons thanks to living in the U.K.

Is it good and how good is it so far when compared to the other seasons?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

It's really good so far, but it's hard to judge it completely without knowing the whole story.

Around season four in quality right now, to me.

Niraj

I think it has the potential to be the best season yet. We'll see if it delivers, but I've been impressed so far. Dialogue especially has been incredible.

tokkun

Obviously Justified takes places in Harlan mostly etc. etc. But that doesn't excuse the show to not have a good reason for him to set up shop in Harlan. But what Burt says sounds right indeed. He knows the area. Harlan has a history of criminals and it's probably cheap too.

Yeah, but they say right in the episode that he could buy land 5 miles down the road for a song. I don't see how the arguments about knowing the area or having access to criminals wouldn't apply 5 miles away.

If it was something like there being a crooked sheriff or mayor that he was relying on, I could buy that. Or if he was being presented as a maniac like some of the previous villains. But thus far it seems like he is a ruthless, yet intelligent guy, so it just doesn't ring true that he would be murdering innocent people and risking the obvious attention of law enforcement unless there is some ulterior motive we haven't heard about. Normally when you have a plotline like this in a western it's because the guy knows there is oil or gold on the land or that the government is going to try to buy up the land for the railroad.

I feel like they just wanted to throw it in because it is a classic western plotline and one of the writers threw out the idea that they modernize it by making it about weed legalization without really thinking it through.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good episode, even for a slower setup one this was Justified through and through.

Wiz getting blown up actually shocked me. Second time Duffy and Boyd have watched someone get blown up together. Haha

Niraj

Yeah, but they say right in the episode that he could buy land 5 miles down the road for a song. I don't see how the arguments about knowing the area or having access to criminals wouldn't apply 5 miles away.

If it was something like there being a crooked sheriff or mayor that he was relying on, I could buy that. Or if he was being presented as a maniac like some of the previous villains. But thus far it seems like he is a ruthless, yet intelligent guy, so it just doesn't ring true that he would be murdering innocent people and risking the obvious attention of law enforcement unless there is some ulterior motive we haven't heard about. Normally when you have a plotline like this in a western it's because the guy knows there is oil or gold on the land or that the government is going to try to buy up the land for the railroad.

I feel like they just wanted to throw it in because it is a classic western plotline and one of the writers threw out the idea that they modernize it by making it about weed legalization without really thinking it through.

I think I remember reading that KY used to be one of the nation's biggest growers/producers of hemp. I'm assuming the land he's buying/taking is fertile farmland primarily. I don't think it's especially outlandish, but maybe they do need to clarify his motivations.

Though I do have to say personally that him killing people (well, having people killed really) doesn't really need to be justified (hey, that's the name of this show) or logical. It can simply be explained by him just being a bad dude. I mean, if we get down to the nitty-gritty of it all, most of these people who kill people don't do it out of any particular need. They just do it out of a mixture of greed, impatience, and assholitis. I still think that him being savvy and him having people killed for maybe no reason aren't mutually exclusive. I mean hell, we know how intelligent Boyd is (or at least he thinks he is). There's no way he wouldn't be able to survive in the world in a legitimate manner if he chose to. Problem is he's an egotistical, chameleon shitkicker, and he does a lot of unnecessary shit.

But I do think that it does come down to Harlan. Like these characters have been saying, the area is basically dying. Instead of going 5 miles out of the way, why not effectively have control of an entire county?

Preview is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VxJnB7vcc8

Spoiler tag all discush

This thread needs more of your hype posts.

Top Bottom