• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Lin to direct Lebron in Space Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREMSteve

I bet at least half of the people saying how awesome Space Jam was weren't even alive or old enough to remember when it came out in 96. A case of the internet forming their opinion on a terrible film.
I'm 40 this year and love Space Jam. I've watched it countless times, both before I was married and since we've had kids as well. Both my son and daughters enjoyed it when they watched it with me.

Space Jam is awesome.

That said, I have zero desire to see them make a sequel. I'm sure I'll give it a chance on Netflix one day though.

I always thought if they did a Space Jam 2 with Blake Griffin, it would be a story of him becoming very unlikable/unfunny. He then goes off to Looney Tunes Land to learn how to be likable again (or something like that), and it all ends in some weird basketball game, where he has to dunk from the moon.

I don't know Steph Curry's story for a Space Jam 2, but it would just end with him shooting a 3 from the moon.

Basically, the climax is on the moon.

WB, hire me for script treatment.

Ranvier

Which 5 superstars should the monstars steal from?

I'd go with Curry, Durant, Davis (the unibrow better be part of the power), Kahwaii, and Klay. Though that may be a bit too west heavy.

There should also be a subplot where the monstars try to resteal the original guys' powers but doesnt work out. Like they take barkeley's power but the monstar just gets fat and gains an addiction to donuts and gambling.

phanphare

Banned
one of the gags needs to be that when the looney tunes drink lebron's secret stuff their bodies fill out and they lose their hair

That's not at all what I'm saying so thanks for molding my words into your rhetoric.

It just boggles my mind that people can have such negative opinions about the most irrelevant shit, like they can't just enjoy it for what it is. There's always something wrong with everything.

What it is is bad, though, that's the point.

Once again you seem to have a problem with the very notion of criticism.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The real question is who is going to do the big song for the film? And how will they top I Believe I Can Fly? Whew

We're overdue for a new song to play at Black graduation ceremonies.

Which 5 superstars should the monstars steal from?

I'd go with Curry, Durant, Davis (the unibrow better be part of the power), Kahwaii, and Klay. Though that may be a bit too west heavy.

There should also be a subplot where the monstars try to resteal the original guys' powers but doesnt work out. Like they take barkeley's power but the monstar just gets fat and gains an addiction to donuts and gambling.

do you think they will revisit the same plot again?

It just boggles my mind that people can have such negative opinions about the most irrelevant shit, like they can't just enjoy it for what it is. There's always something wrong with everything.

I can't enjoy it because it's shitty. That's one of the bigger stumbling blocks.

It's not a fundamental flaw in my being or anything. It's a bad film even by standards of children's entertainment. It wasn't good then, it's less good now. I don't know why this is confusing.

I mean, you just called it "irrelevant shit" as some sort of defense, so I don't know why you're so mind-boggled at the idea people don't like it.

It's irrelevant shit. Even moreso now, because again, the Looney Tunes characters aren't very popular at all right now, and LeBron James isn't the most popular player in the NBA.

one of the gags needs to be that when the looney tunes drink lebron's secret stuff their bodies fill out and they lose their hair

It would be funny if LeBron's headband just gets larger and starts farther back on his head as the film goes on and nobody comments on it. It just happens.

Miracle

Because Curry is a fad for the time being, just like Lin was. Lebron has proven staying power.

tumblr_lorkjrx46M1qbf1k3.gif

The original is a weird so bad, it's good. At least for my family. We use to watch it all the time as kids, and now we just laugh at how hooked me and my brother used to be on the silliest of scenes. The original is like a one in decade, product of its time, I feel. This just feels like it's cashing in on a nostalgia-driven internet meme.

Son Of D

That's not at all what I'm saying so thanks for molding my words into your rhetoric.

It feels like you're saying that because it's a lighthearted kids movie it doesn't need to be good. Which is a really bad excuse for whenever a crap kids movie releases "Oh it's for kids, they're stupid so they won't know any better".

is Looney Tunes still a thing?

It's not nearly as culturally relevant as it was back in the day it seems like, which is what makes this weird to me.

I mean if they're doing it to cash in on nostalgia, then they'll probably get what they expect out of it. They're going to be disappointed if they expect this to be popular in the same way that the old one was popular IMO.

Akahige

Lol what, is my first reaction.

I guess Lebron was solid enough in Trainwreck, though he really, really over acted.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Space Jam was a dumb fun mashup that grabbed kids' attention by the throat, and while it ain't any critical achievement, it was good enough that those kids walked out happy and remember it fondly.

The standard the new one has to measure up to isn't a high bar, have some basketball stars, have the Looney Tunes, be servicably entertaining, sprinkle in a little nostalgia; The new one should replicate the appeal of the original just fine.

It's really the ideal for a reboot/sequel that they're not trying to followup on some cinematic masterpiece, that almost always turns out badly. The new Space Jam turning out mediocre won't be any big slap to the face of the original, and anything better will be a outright triumph.

I hope Lin is smart enough to stay as far away from this as possible. I hope he didn't leave F&F to work on Space Jam 2 featuring LeBronze of all people.

Curry, Harden, Durant, Griffin, Davis

All have personalities and traits that would translate well to the monstars. But I bet Lebron would want his buddies. CP3, Wade, Melo, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom