• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Lin to direct Lebron in Space Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because something can be lighthearted and fun and also good at the same time.

The first Space Jam was terrible. Literally nobody is asking for this. More of Warner Bros. throwing money into a hole I guess.

Go back and actually watch it. It's awful. There's no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Next thing you're going to tell me that people love Batman & Robin.

This will won't be anywhere the quality of "old Looney Tunes". Nothing will ever top the shorts from the 40s, 50s, and 60s.

MichaelScottShutsdooronDunder-Mifflinguy_zps82023db0.gif

Oh jesus. I was in 4th grade when Space Jam came out and I remember everyone in school losing their minds over this movie. I got so sick of listening to that fucking soundtrack.

Boem

Terrible idea to revive.

Cartoons talking to humans always looks ridiculous in a bad way.

Hey now.

tumblr_n9jug1B4Ld1t75crio1_500.gif

tumblr_mvmgdp5Q9H1rdqbfro1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Man, we're never gonna get a movie as insane as Roger Rabbit again. It's a miracle it even got made in the first place.

If they do make another one (and they'll probably will since everything is getting a remake) it'll probably star some shitty Nickelodeon cartoons or something. No way the bigger companies, especially Disney, are willing to borrow out their valuable IP's for something like that again.

Still, the original is amazing to this day. It's a crazy, insane, messy movie, but amazing. Space Jam always felt like it was trying to recapture that magic with just the Looney Tunes and they couldn't quite manage it. Loved it as a kid, but even then I recognized Roger Rabbit as the more special and better movie.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yup, mainly via creative defunctness.
Considering the mountains of money they blew on stuff like Sucker Punch, Cloud Atlas, and Jupiter Rising, I'd probably be pretty well scared away from original works by creative visionaries if I were WB, too.

If they do make another one (and they'll probably will since everything is getting a remake) it'll probably star some shitty Nickelodeon cartoons or something. No way the bigger companies, especially Disney, are willing to borrow out their valuable IP's for something like that again.

Spielberg basically had to go around and personally negotiate with studio heads, if I remember the story correctly. If he wanted to do that again, he probably could, but I know I don't want Robert Zemeckis anywhere near that shit again.

If I remember correctly, the rumors surrounding a followup actually had cartoons interacting with video game characters? Something like that. There's been a bunch of rumors about it getting revived, but as you pointed out, rights issues make it kind of a no-go.

Besides which, 2D animation is at a low point in theatrical release, and watching people interact with 3D CGI isn't a novelty. It's 75% of all summer blockbuster fare for the past 10 years.

Boem

Spielberg basically had to go around and personally negotiate with studio heads, if I remember the story correctly. If he wanted to do that again, he probably could, but I know I don't want Robert Zemeckis anywhere near that shit again.

If I remember correctly, the rumors surrounding a followup actually had cartoons interacting with video game characters? Something like that. There's been a bunch of rumors about it getting revived, but as you pointed out, rights issues make it kind of a no-go.

Besides which, 2D animation is at a low point in theatrical release, and watching people interact with 3D CGI isn't a novelty. It's 75% of all summer blockbuster fare for the past 10 years.

Yeah, even IF they someone got the money together to do it 2D and IF they got all the classics together again (which is pretty much the point of the movie - you can't just stick a Frozen Princess in there), there's no way Disney is going to allow all the smoking, drinking and (implied, I suppose) sex of the original in there.

It felt like I was watching a cartoon meant for adults as a kid, both in the way the noir world was presented and the age of most of the cartoon characters presented. It was the best.

Not that I'm saying I want there to be a sequel that somehow works mind you. Mostly saying that, for most cartoons involved in those earlier eras, they'll never get as cool as they were in Roger Rabbit again.

Frankly, for someone like me (who likes the 'golden age' of these franchises, and the sense of history that comes with it), I don't expect I'll ever get something new out of the Looney Tunes that's for me. Which is fine of course, I am almost 30 at this point. I can live with not having Bugs Bunny in my life.

I think there were a couple of 3D Looney Tunes shorts a couple of years back that had some good animation. Of course, it didn't bring anything new to the table, but I thought those were pretty well done. At this point, I don't think they can carry a full movie for anyone other than kids, unless it's going to be something crazy like Roger Rabbit and they go fully for the nostalgia of adults without worrying about selling toys and tv shows. Which isn't going to happen.

Is anyone else wondering why Steph Curry is not the star of this movie? He's the face of the league, the best player, and infinitely more likable than Lebron, especially by younger fans.

louiedog

Is anyone else wondering why Steph Curry is not the star of this movie? He's the face of the league, the best player, and infinitely more likable than Lebron, especially by younger fans.

Lebron was okay in Trainwreck. Better than average for a sports star in an acting gig. Don't forget the person filling this role probably needs to be on screen for an hour or so delivering lines and that may have been a factor in the casting.

I'd like to know if this movie takes place before or after Jordan joins B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S., because I think it's an important part of the Space Jam canon.

Dishwalla

Banned
The thing with Steph Curry is that he's still relatively new in the NBA. WB has been rumored to have been working on this for years, I know I've heard it being talked about with Lebron for at least like two years.

siddhu33

Why not Curry?

I love Steph Curry and his game, but the movie is called Space 'Jam', not Space 'Quick release at the 40-yard line for 3', even though the latter is way more efficient.

Having Lebron there makes sense, as he is massively popular and well known, and can also dunk like a beast.

Boem

do you think they will revisit the same plot again?

Star Wars. Star Trek: Kahn Again. Jurassic World. Etc.

Hollywood is always scared people will forget they liked the old movies, so Making A Movie Again But With Fancier Effects is going to be a thing for a while yet.

Srsly. The is the first time I have seen such negativity toward this basketball kids movie.

I always thought everyone loved it until I saw this.

Now mostly what I hear is that it's not that good, which I kinda have to agree with.
Can't take away that this is one of my most cherished childhood movies though. I'll always find enjoyment in it.

I love Steph Curry and his game, but the movie is called Space 'Jam', not Space 'Quick release at the 40-yard line for 3', even though the latter is way more efficient.

Having Lebron there makes sense, as he is massively popular and well known, and can also dunk like a beast.

You know Curry can dunk right?

gabbo

If he doesn't join the monstars and then get redeemed after losing 1on1 to Jordan just in time to beat the Monstars for Bugs life, I want nothing to do with this.

Also, how do you top the original's soundtrack? It's the perfect mix of 90s music

Nafai1123

Banned
Curry's ankles would explode halfway through shooting.

Curry, inured and imprisoned on Mars, receives a package. Upon opening, he discovers a basketball hidden inside. Suddenly, his hair begins to stand on. Surely the Toons must have sent it for help! He stands, his broken ankles miraculously holding his weight. He looks to the ceiling of his cell as electricity begins to travel all over his body. He let's out a majestic yell as his hair turns blue and he goes Super Curry-Saiyan. As he shoots, the entire room around him deconstructs. The ball flies through the ceiling of the prison, hurtling itself into space. It takes a gravity assist around the moon and comes flying back towards earth, catching fire as it enters the atmosphere. It smashes through the ceiling of Oracle, swishes through the hoop and embeds itself in the floor as the last second is counting down.

Toons win in OT thanks to Curry's "stellar" 3-pointer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom