• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

cajunator

Banned
That reminds me, while I was on vacation, I sketched this out. I would have scanned it, but I'm lazy right now.

At some point I will finish this up and color it.

Nice work!

Reminds me of the group character sketches I did for shows like Sailor Moon, Angel Tales, ROD TV, Haibane Renmei, and Maburaho.

I'm not advertising anything. Just stating my surprise that there is a second one!

ritsu-sawa-01.jpg

Likely story... I be watchin' you...

Esura

Banned
Dang it. Chet inspired me to start drawing again.

Think I'm rusty though. My enemy to this day is proportions. Always off in some way shape or form and it was nerve wrecking to the point that I stopped drawing.

So that's where all those Pokemon trainer avatars came from! I feel like this thread is slowly revealing the underbelly of GAF.
Yeah, I drew all those a while back going off an idea Gravijah gave me, and it evolved into a PokeGAF group avatar thing. Fun times.
Gravijah first said they should be drawn chibi, but I said nuts to that. It was also originally going to only be the main 5 girls, but with some people fighting over who got Yui and feeling others wanted to be included, I went and did the expanded cast as well.
Dang it. Chet inspired me to start drawing again.

Think I'm rusty though. My enemy to this day is proportions. Always off in some way shape or form and it was nerve wrecking to the point that I stopped drawing.
Use references. And always start off lightly with guide lines and shapes so you can erase and change things easily. The one thing that bugged me the most as a kid would be drawing something and trying to erase something but to find out I was drawing to hard and the line really never goes away.
I'm not a very good teacher, but if you need any more help, I'll try to be more useful.

Yeah, I drew all those a while back going off an idea Gravijah gave me, and it evolved into a PokeGAF group avatar thing. Fun times.
Gravijah first said they should be drawn chibi, but I said nuts to that. It was also originally going to only be the main 5 girls, but with some people fighting over who got Yui and feeling others wanted to be included, I went and did the expanded cast as well.

Use references. And always start off lightly with guide lines and shapes so you can erase and change things easily. The one thing that bugged me the most as a kid would be drawing something and trying to erase something but to find out I was drawing to hard and the line really never goes away.
I'm not a very good teacher, but if you need any more help, I'll try to be more useful.

What references do you suggest (preferbally that of online)?
And on an unrelated note, we have outgrown Furry GAF (or dicuss more anyway)

What references do you suggest (preferbally that of online)?
And on an unrelated note, we have outgrown Furry GAF (or dicuss more anyway)

Anything relevant to what you want to draw. Say you're having a tough time drawing a hand in a certain way. Just look up pictures of hands like that, be they real photos or drawings by other people. You could even use yourself as a reference as you look in a mirror. Not everything has to originate from your head.
We passed them up a while ago. K-ON! > Furries

Kazzy

I've never really understood this perspective. I feel like it should be a good thing when an artist designs something to be cute and I think it's cute. Am I misunderstanding something?

It's all relative. I think the problem I have in most cases, is that I feel inclined to resent a character if it is designed with that express purpose. If its a byproduct of being an endearing, or generally well-written creation, fine. But if you stick a character in front of me, one which has clearly being subjected to a checklist of what constitutes cute design, in order to illicit that response. Nope.

Maybe that's just me, but I can't ignore it. Truth be told, I'm probably being incredibly naive about the whole thing.

It's all relative. I think the problem I have in most cases, is that I feel inclined to resent a character if it is designed with that express purpose. If its a byproduct of being an endearing, or generally well-written creation, fine. But if you stick a character in front of me, one which has clearly being subjected to a checklist of what constitutes cute design, in order to illicit that response. Nope.

Maybe that's just me, but I can't ignore it.

Fans who hate fanservice are the best self-hating fans!

Top Bottom