• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

New page, new gif
uHJ7v.gif

Brings a smile to my face everytime. ^_^

Azu-nyan~

Metrotab

Banned
Each time I enter this thread I want to rewatch K-On! Are there any other SoL-shows that feel so expansive and complete? 3 cours and a movie and I still wanted more.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Each time I enter this thread I want to rewatch K-On! Are there any other SoL-shows that feel so expansive and complete? 3 cours and a movie and I still wanted more.
Not really, no. Anything else is irredeemably perverted in nature or straight-up comedy without the :firehawk that makes K-ON so good.

Kazzy

Each time I enter this thread I want to rewatch K-On! Are there any other SoL-shows that feel so expansive and complete? 3 hours and a movie and I still wanted more.

No, therein lies the paradox!

That's why we're here, to stop you chasing that dragon.
And chain you to the altar of K-ON!

Currently my default answer to someone looking for something to watch: Hyouka.

Metrotab

Banned
No, therein lies the paradox!

That's why we're here, to stop you chasing that dragon.

Currently my default answer to someone looking for something to watch: Hyouka.

Watched that as it aired (like any KyoAni show). The mysteries never impressed me much, but the character interactions definitely saved that show.

Gorgeous visuals too, I don't think I've seen a show with such consistent quality throughout before.

Kazzy

Watched that as it aired (like any KyoAni show). The mysteries never impressed me much, but the character interactions definitely saved that show.

Gorgeous visuals too, I don't think I've seen a show with such consistent quality throughout before.

Well that was the draw, the mysteries were pretty much the macguffin's of Hyouka. Some hated it, but I loved that it pretty much dedicated itself to considered, nuanced, character work.

And like Reg said, you can find various shows that show flashes of K-ON! But you'll struggle to find anything that replicates the formula wholesale. I think you should just pick the brains of everyone in here, as there is a general consensus amongst us all.

Also the Anime thread is worth a look, if you're so inclined. There has been some comprehensive recommendations in there lately. But I'm sure that I've already seen you over there.

Metrotab

Banned
Also the Anime thread is worth a look, if you're so inclined. There has been some comprehensive recommendations in there lately. But I'm sure that I've already seen you over there.

Oh yeah, I constantly lurk the anime thread. I don't post much because I'm not really good at putting my viewing experiences/thoughts in text without rambling or sounding repetitive. I'm pretty new to anime too so I don't have a wide base of shows to compare things with. K-On! was only the third non-mainstream show (in terms of Pokemon etc) I watched, after Lucky Star and TTGL.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh yeah, I constantly lurk the anime thread. I don't post much because I'm not really good at putting my viewing experiences/thoughts in text without rambling or sounding repetitive.
Hasn't stopped me!
I'm pretty new to anime too so I don't have a wide base of shows to compare things with. K-On! was only the third non-mainstream show (in terms of Pokemon etc) I watched, after Lucky Star and TTGL.
But K-ON is mainstream. It's even on Disney Channel!

In all seriousness, there's been plenty of good animu this year. I suggest you do look at the recommendations in the Fall thread. The catalogue looks very diverse this time around.

AutumnAve

K-on! fan checking in, don't have much to contribute to the thread, I do some figure and poster collecting, but I saw some disparaging remarks made about the second season. (serious? can't tell) I don't even know what to say to that, I had a lump in my throat through out the second to last episode, and I got genuinely emotional at the end of the finale. There were some honest to god feels in K-On!! so much so that I've refrained from rewatching K-On!! It was pretty damn perfect.

Team Ritsu, for what its worth

Emitan

K-on! fan checking in, don't have much to contribute to the thread, I do some figure and poster collecting, but I saw some disparaging remarks made about the second season. (serious? can't tell) I don't even know what to say to that, I had a lump in my throat through out the second to last episode, and I got genuinely emotional at the end of the finale. There were some honest to god feels in K-On!! so much so that I've refrained from rewatching K-On!! It was pretty damn perfect.

It was Boney. Ignore him. He didn't even finish K-On!!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mah nakama.

Now join us in the Anime thread.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

Team Ritsu ? I like you already. Misaka Mikoto avatar is a bonus!

Also S2 > S1. With the movie somewhere between them.

Kazzy

Just saw the episode with Mio's fan club.

I wanna join it!

Ah, which reminds me, I never posted my thoughts on those episodes:

K-ON!! - Episode 7

J9nbA.jpg

Beware the quiet ones

Only in K-ON! would the premise of a stalkerish fan-club turn out to be a sweet episode! I often think she is the crazy one, but Mio's dislike of having her own dedicated fan club seems completely legitimate. Especially when they are willing to follow you around over something as frivolous as a sticker.

Ritsu also makes a great case for the unreliable narrator, and it seems as though, Mugi isn't the only one with yuri-goggles.

85P40.jpg

The show was a self-fulfilling prophecy, they already had the merchandise ready to go!

K-ON!! Episode 8

Cdspx.jpg

Big-head mode enabled.

Yui is usually so lackadaisical , that I enjoy watching her react to any sort of pressure. Ritsu shares a similar sentiment, as we found out that she enjoyed torturing a younger (and even shyer!) Mio. And for as much as Yui seems to be portrayed as the most listless of the group, I couldn't see how Mio would function without Ritsu continually pushing (or is that dragging?) her out of her shell. That said, it is nice to watch the dynamic that they have.

Turtles, turtles, everywhere! One of those idling shots that like KyoAni like so much, makes a return. I like that they have become a recurring theme, without it ever being highlighted all that much. And what is this? A cliffhanger in K-ON!?

Also, Azusa has literally just sat around for the past two episodes.

K-ON!! Episode 9

mHEJ0.jpg

Thou hast established a new bond...

Now that it's been confirmed that Yui has no future past high school, everything carries on gleefully, wait...

Yui inverts the fable of the The Tortoise and the Hare, by coming top in her exams, all whilst finding the time to goof off and do better things. Way to ruin my world view KyoAni! If she wasn't such an affable character, I'd be in my right mind to despise her. Damn you, and your endearing ways!

Jh88A.jpg

If it fits, it ships

Azusa is a proxy for Mio at this point, pretty much since the Kyoto episode, where she (Mio) suddenly became more free-wheeling, particularly within the confines of the group. So that renders Azusa the most mature (boring) band member, pretty much by default. Seriously though, she is a fine enough character, but she has been stuck filling the role of Ms. exposition lately. I think the balance is due a reshuffle, and I'm sure it'll occur at some point. Um, why else would she top fan-polls? Enough of that!

It was at least good to see her getting a little more focus, here. Yui seems like the natural foil for her, so I hope to see that continue.

Top Bottom