• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Well if you're looking for some slice of life shows I could probably recommend some. Are there any that you've seen before besides K-ON?

Uraizen

Banned
Well if you're looking for some slice of life shows I could probably recommend some. Are there any that you've seen before besides K-ON?

Uhh... Lucky Star? I didn't like that show very much, though. You can probably name anything and there's a strong chance I haven't seen it. Like I said, I haven't watched much anime, just the ones most people have seen like DBZ, Trigun, Hellsing, etc. So feel free to suggest anything that's a comedy! I'm open to whatever you've got.

In the last few years, my favorite slice-of-life would have to be Yuru Yuri by a landslide. The comedy can be a little uneven but when it's on point, it's completely hilarious.

Chuunibyou is definitely romantic comedy and it's airing right now.

Well Dog Days is an action adventure shounen show, not slice of life comedy like K-ON!
Unless that's what you wanna watch.

I actually sat here for a few minutes and thought about this categorization. It then occurred to me that I've never bothered to mentally categorize the anime I've watched over the years in any category other than "I enjoyed it" and "I didn't enjoy it". I don't really think about what genre something is when I decide to watch it or not. I don't have any particular favorite genre and I don't particularly care how other people categorize things. If someone says such and such was good, I'll just check the entry on Wikipedia and if it sounds interesting, I'll jump in. I didn't really know a whole lot about Dog Days beyond the fact that everybody had fluffy tails when I started into it.

Kazzy

K-ON!! Episode 23

fA1ZL.jpg

So with the show finally coming full-circle, what can we summarize? To quote someone who is probably not worth mentioning, "Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself." By that definition, would that render the light music club pointless? I'm getting weirdly existential(yes...navel-gazing!) here, but only because the show made me do it! Because in a way, this was an episode concerned with how we define our legacy, as the group struggles with how to conclude their 'final' real day at Sakura high. So it's fitting that the they choose to resume exactly where they left off, the irony of which isn't lost on them.

The fact that the group meet at school when they don't even need to be there, shows there is a form of anxiety present. And It is this unspoken feeling that lingers throughout, as no one can really think of a suitable way to round-off their high school careers, despite feeling like they should be doing something. Although, in the process of simply goofing off around school, they pretty achieve a fitting final-day. From scoring bread, courtesy of Azusa and the forever star-struck Jun (you have to love the hero worship on display!), and simply killing time, some discoveries are also made. A detour to the classroom provides Yui's collection of notes (I want to read them!), which is sweet in itself, so I was glad that Mugi wanted to keep them. And cleaning the club-room reveals a discarded club application, to add to the ever-mounting pile of season 1 references. I think these are the sort of details that provide a good summary of what they have achieved during their school careers, and what will likely continue to define this period in their lives, namely their friendship. This is especially the case for Yui, who I dread to think what would have happened to her, otherwise!

It may be a pretty passive outlook, but it's one not uniquely their own, as Nadoka unexpectedly shows. Despite being an outgoing and hard-working student (ridiculously so in comparison), she also arrives to say her own farewells. Yes, Nadoka shows up at school for other reasons, but I think her own quiet reflection after everyone has left the student-council club room, shows that she shares a similar sentiment. It was a small respite that showed a brief window into an otherwise guarded character, and belongs as one of those subtle touches that helps to give K-ON! the heart is has

In the end, the group ultimately decide to say their farewells by recording a album, but not before committing to tape some evidence of what they do best, never-ending girl's talk! It was a great episode but I suspect this may be the last time we get a light episode like this. Am I ready for the end? Well...

LayLa

one nice tie-in to Episode 23 was the limited edition of the HTT II CD which came with ..

rj2mH.jpg

a full recreation of the tape, including inbetween dialog etc. its also a good album!

Kazzy

one nice tie-in to Episode 23 was the limited edition of the HTT II CD which came with ..

*The holy-grail*

a full recreation of the tape, including inbetween dialog etc. its also a good album!

!!!

Why do you show me these things!?

Uhh... Lucky Star? I didn't like that show very much, though. You can probably name anything and there's a strong chance I haven't seen it. Like I said, I haven't watched much anime, just the ones most people have seen like DBZ, Trigun, Hellsing, etc. So feel free to suggest anything that's a comedy! I'm open to whatever you've got.
I haven't actually seen Lucky Star, so I hope none of these happen to be to similar to it...
Probably my favorite slice of life shows outside of K-ON! would be Azumanga Daioh and Joshiraku. Squid Girl is pretty good too. There's also Nichijou, but that show tends to either have jokes that or amazing, or awful with very few in between. That said, I'd still recommend it, as many in here would as well.
I've not seen it yet, but I've heard Yuru Yuri is pretty similar to K-ON!
I actually sat here for a few minutes and thought about this categorization. It then occurred to me that I've never bothered to mentally categorize the anime I've watched over the years in any category other than "I enjoyed it" and "I didn't enjoy it". I don't really think about what genre something is when I decide to watch it or not. I don't have any particular favorite genre and I don't particularly care how other people categorize things. If someone says such and such was good, I'll just check the entry on Wikipedia and if it sounds interesting, I'll jump in. I didn't really know a whole lot about Dog Days beyond the fact that everybody had fluffy tails when I started into it.
I usually try out shows more from what they look like rather than genres. Though I try to stay away from horror shows.
Which is why I haven't seen Highschool of the Dead yet, despite all the tits
K-ON!! Episode 23

In the end, the group ultimately decide to say their farewells by recording a album, but not before committing to tape some evidence of what they do best, never-ending girl's talk! It was a great episode but I suspect this may be the last time we get a light episode like this. Am I ready for the end? Well...
I don't want to say anything, but you still got 4 more episodes to go!
Have you seen the Ura-ON! shorts yet? It's what separates the women from the girls.

rj2mH.jpg

That's really awesome, but I'm kinda interested in what's behind it.
No, I don't mean the Azusa figure or Sena nendoroid
It's a recording of a live broadcast, so you can listen whenever. I'll upload it tonight (GMT).
Oh, well in that case I'm ready for it!

Looks like this page needs more Mugi...

3Im9w.gif

So no further MRI is needed yet (yay!) but I do have to have more blood work done (boo). Plus another new medication. Hope this does the trick, seeing as this "neuropathic pain" has been going on for 4 months now.

Uraizen, I'd fully agree with Chet on Azumanga Daioh. Yuru Yuri, Nichijou and Lucky Star are at least worth checking out as well, though it'll likely take you a few episodes to see if you care for their particular styles.

cjkeats

Good new is always great to hear. Hope you're 100% soon.

I got bored of Yuru Yuri during episode 4, and same for Lucky Star by the first episode was over. I might go back eventually. Squid Girl and Nichijou have been in my queue for ages.

Also if I recall, there's a shot at the k-on! girls in Yuru Yuri somewhere. They make some snarky statement about the light music club.

Less Mugi, more Yui.

Metrotab

Banned
At least wait until episode 6 or something before judging Lucky Star. The first four episodes are known to be inferior, to the point of causing the director to be fired.

Also if I recall, there's a shot at the k-on! girls in Yuru Yuri somewhere. They make some snarky statement about the light music club.

Joshiraku made some shots too.

It then occurred to me that I've never bothered to mentally categorize the anime I've watched over the years in any category other than "I enjoyed it" and "I didn't enjoy it". I don't really think about what genre something is when I decide to watch it or not. I don't have any particular favorite genre and I don't particularly care how other people categorize things. If someone says such and such was good, I'll just check the entry on Wikipedia and if it sounds interesting, I'll jump in.

I do pretty much exactly this. I don't really pay attention to what genre it is, I simply watch it if it sounds interesting.
Kind of strange that almost everything I have liked so far ends up being romance, in some way or another. Guess it's one of the most prevalent plotlines though.

Uraizen

Banned
In the last few years, my favorite slice-of-life would have to be Yuru Yuri by a landslide. The comedy can be a little uneven but when it's on point, it's completely hilarious.

Chuunibyou is definitely romantic comedy and it's airing right now.

Yuru Yuri was something I was actually interested in trying because I saw all of you bringing it up every once in a while. Chuunibyou sounds like something I'd be interested in, so I'll definitely look into that one.
So that's where the eye patch girl came from!

Am I ready for the end? Well...

You're not; I wasn't.

I haven't actually seen Lucky Star, so I hope none of these happen to be to similar to it...
Probably my favorite slice of life shows outside of K-ON! would be Azumanga Daioh and Joshiraku. Squid Girl is pretty good too. There's also Nichijou, but that show tends to either have jokes that or amazing, or awful with very few in between. That said, I'd still recommend it, as many in here would as well.
I've not seen it yet, but I've heard Yuru Yuri is pretty similar to K-ON!

Ah yes, Azumanga was another I've seen, I completely forgot about it. Joshiraku's episode descriptions reminds me of Lucky Star. Squid Girl and Ninchijou sound utterly ridiculous and I love it.

So no further MRI is needed yet (yay!) but I do have to have more blood work done (boo). Plus another new medication. Hope this does the trick, seeing as this "neuropathic pain" has been going on for 4 months now.

Uraizen, I'd fully agree with Chet on Azumanga Daioh. Yuru Yuri, Nichijou and Lucky Star are at least worth checking out as well, though it'll likely take you a few episodes to see if you care for their particular styles.

Awesome! Kinda. I have to have some blood work done next month myself
again
, it's no biggie. =) Hope the medicine works for ya!

Another Yuru Yuri and Nichijou vote, uh?

I got bored of Yuru Yuri during episode 4, and same for Lucky Star by the first episode was over. I might go back eventually. Squid Girl and Nichijou have been in my queue for ages.

Eh, Lucky Star is pretty much more of the same throughout. I had to force myself to finish it just to say I did.

--------------

So Yuru Yuri, Chuunibyou, Squid Girl, and Nichijou are now in my queue. This will keep me busy, thanks everybody!

Ah yes, Azumanga was another I've seen, I completely forgot about it. Joshiraku's episode descriptions reminds me of Lucky Star. Squid Girl and Ninchijou sound utterly ridiculous and I love it.

--------------

So Yuru Yuri, Chuunibyou, Squid Girl, and Nichijou are now in my queue. This will keep me busy, thanks everybody!

Not sure if I should try to convince you to watch Joshiraku, or watch Lucky Star for myself to see if they are similar or not.
Or both, I could do both.

Madao

how many people have the means to play that tape nowadays?

there's like 3 tape decks in my house. my mom and dad really liked stereo systems when they were younger. there's even a LP player and i think it still works.

oh and good to see the Mugi defense active.

Hmm... those weren't quite as awesome as the No, Thank You! remix, but it's going to be hard to top to begin with.
Well I did mention before that was my favorite, so it can only go down from there.
how many people have the means to play that tape nowadays?

there's like 3 tape decks in my house. my mom and dad really liked stereo systems when they were younger. there's even a LP player and i think it still works.

oh and good to see the Mugi defense active.
Considering that I never throw away anything, some cassette players are probably hiding out somewhere around here. Not to mention that my Jeep only has a cassette player in it. hehehe
sDkRb.gif

Top Bottom