• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Kazzy

You don't to become familiar with the machinations of the AC story, not by any means. If anything, it's the weakest aspect of the entire franchise. They are only so notable because they are punctuated by ridiculous twist endings.

Uraizen

Banned
I'll probably get around to buying it off steam at some point, if it's available on there. It's nice knowing my laptop won't set on fire when I play games now :D

Oh, it's available on there.

UI41w.jpg

It's the only game in the entire series I've enjoyed, too.

Kazzy

Hahahaha.

What did you think of the movie as a whole?

As expected, it was extremely enjoyable. I'll give a more coherent review in a short while!

Eerily accurate, aren't they?

They are okay, and a better effort than most Anime puts forward. There was some clear effort with them, but they flipped between being clearly delivered by non-native speakers, to sounding like they got the first English person they could find. Inconsistent.

cjkeats

I feel like those would be the glasses that they would wear to see in the TV World in my P4xK-ON! fanfic. o_o

Man, how would Teddie react meeting HTT? Not another guy to be seen, but he wouldn't necessarily learn about Scoring a Hot Stud in this case. Not in the same way at least. XD

Better question: how would HHT react to teddie? I imagine a whole lotta squeals of "kawaiiiiiii"

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
You don't to become familiar with the machinations of the AC story, not by any means. If anything, it's the weakest aspect of the entire franchise. They are only so notable because they are punctuated by ridiculous twist endings.

Pretty much, the story is batshit retarded at points.

That being said, I did enjoy 1 and 2 regardless.

Yeah so... I got around to watching the first episode. It wasn't bad, wasn't great though. I'll probably get around to watching the second ep after football.

Kazzy

Yeah so... I got around to watching the first episode. It wasn't bad, wasn't great though. I'll probably get around to watching the second ep after football.

The first season is exposition, the second more deeply explores the relationships and begins its narrative push, and the conclusion is a natural progression of that. K-ON! thrives in its character development.

K-ON! is just plain fun, but it has real heart to go along with it.

Uraizen

Banned

Huh, that took a lot less convincing than I expected. Guess you already had a bit of an interest in it? Either that or the fact I liked it made you extremely curious.

The wierdest thing is how congruent the stories of AC and Robotics;Notes have become. Actually, they also got some weird Mass Effect shit into AC too. The story of AC is basically bollocks after a certain point, which is why my story is intentionally set (in Desmond's timeline) shortly after AC2. Because the story goes to shit in a big way shortly after that.

OceanBlue

Better question: how would HHT react to teddie? I imagine a whole lotta squeals of "kawaiiiiiii"

Mio would be scared. Mugi and Yui would probably be amazed or something. As for Ritsu... she might be the tsukkomi? Or she might join Yui and Mugi.

Edit: Wow, how did I forget Azusa? She'd probably be the tsukkomi. Ritsu would probably make jokes.

Uraizen

Banned
Ah! I almost forgot, are there any online stores that usually discount anime merchandise for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? I want to know what to keep an eye out for since I usually only look for games and PC accessories.

Mio would be scared. Mugi and Yui would probably be amazed or something. As for Ritsu... she might be the tsukkomi? Or she might join Yui and Mugi.
Now imagining their attempts at wrangling new members into the club, with Teddie standing in front of the club room in the same pose as Yui's frog thing. Completely still... then "JOIN THE LIGHT MUSIC CLUB-KUMA!!"

Of course, no change in scaring the daylights out of first years.

Kazzy

K-ON! - The Movie

Pure-distilled K-ON! over a feature length time? Yes please!

This is a movie that was clearly adheres to the three act structure, quite literally, with each being quite distinctive with its setting. The London trip being the middle section of this. But this foray didn't really play out as the big set-piece it was supposed to be (or to be more accurate, how I often saw it positioned in promotional materials), but more of a brief (if pretty) interlude, interspersed with a couple of songs. As for the music, it always feels like a treat when we actually get to see the band give a full performance, not least because it very rarely happened during the preceding two seasons! So in that regard it was nice to see, although the circumstances leading up the performances are ludicrous, particularly the first, which feels kind of out of place, given that their ability as a band is generally downplayed. But music! So I can't pretend to act all incredulous for too long!

Although the onus is never really on London as the setting, that doesn't mean that KyoAni don't take the time to include some glorious background art along the way. It would have been easy to consign this section simply to familiar landmarks and settings, and although it does visit a good amount of those, it actually feels (and looks) like an authentic London. Much of the fun here is derived from simply watching everyone react to being placed in an alien environment. The language barrier is good comedy, and watching Yui and Ritsu squirm under the pressure won't stop being fun!

Like the additional episodes at the end of K-ON!! There is a weird feeling that echoes throughout most the piece, mainly because there is an already a sense of finality to everything. And this is something that all three acts take cues from, as the main through-line of the entire film is giving Azusa a fitting farewell. It’s a clever conceit, not least of all because I can see how this serves to accommodate newcomers. Although I think that the strengths mainly come from the long-established character relationships, and how nearly everything is a reference to a previous action or detail regarding the series proper. And that brings us onto the finale, which is nothing if not overt in its dedication to delivering that emotional and satisfying conclusion.

In placing the final act around the group’s graduation, the film is treading familiar territory, but it makes it work through offering a new perspective on the proceedings. As we are likely to already be intimate with the material, you are free to enjoy all the little embellishments that have added here. It is unabashed fan-service, but it serves to add yet another layer onto the (already) bittersweet series finale. All roads lead to Azusa, so come time for her farewell song, the sweet ballad is punctuated with an even greater emotional resonance that it had been previously.

And it took some unexpected turns along the way, such as the focus on the Yui & Azusa dynamic. It was very cool that they turned what was such an intrinsic aspect of the show, and had their fun poking fun at it. We are so used to seeing Yui being, well, Yui, that we never give it a second-thought, but to deconstruct the affection she lavishes on Azusa, and then to see it from an a different perspective (a deeply paranoid Azusa), it takes on a whole other subtext.

The movie never really gets bombastic with its feature status, but that would betray what I come to love about K-ON! Even in this most grand of farewells, it is content to slip right back into its lazy atmosphere, that which we have become so comfortable and familiar with. So in essence, this is a feature-length episode, but when it accentuates all that with that extra layer of polish, both visually and musically, much like The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya before it, this plays like a love-letter to the franchise as a whole.

The graduation episodes may have been the zenith for K-ON! but the appreciation for the characters shines through here, and it just effortlessly moves along through their interactions alone. It's an oddly nostalgic piece that evokes memories of everything that it proceeds, but it succeeds precisely because it knows what notes to hit.

Random notes:

I'm full of sentiment for the whole series, and now I'm finally at the end! Who knew that such an unassuming show would be almost transformative in its calming touch and approach. It's an emboldening and inspiration piece of work, and I dare say that there is no higher praise than that.

Metrotab

Banned
Ritsu being bashful when she has to sing was quite adorable, and my second favorite Ritsu moment after when she started drumming on her books.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Huh, that took a lot less convincing than I expected. Guess you already had a bit of an interest in it? Either that or the fact I liked it made you extremely curious.

I kinda had a little interest, dunno why I never got around to actually watching it, I get distracted easily. Maybe you actually liking it sparked it a little more.

Ah! I almost forgot, are there any online stores that usually discount anime merchandise for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? I want to know what to keep an eye out for since I usually only look for games and PC accessories.

Rightstuf might, but they usually have a big sale leading to Christmas, usually it's just anime though.

Metrotab

Banned
If the novel writer is quick enough, he can get enough material for a season 2 follow-up. Show is quite succesful so far.

Makes me wonder what KyoAni's gonna do next.

Uraizen

Banned
I kinda had a little interest, dunno why I never got around to actually watching it, I get distracted easily. Maybe you actually liking it sparked it a little more.

All I ask is that you just stick with it for at least the first season. If you don't like it after that, then it's probably just not for you. I enjoyed it more after Azusa showed up, but she doesn't show up until episode 8.

Rightstuf might, but they usually have a big sale leading to Christmas, usually it's just anime though.

This is exactly what I was looking for, just needed a time frame.

And just think, that's only from the first half of the season so far. There's still six more episodes of chuuni abuse to go!

Only six? Boo, need more.

Kazzy

Only six? Boo, need more.

No more material!

Not that I'd have a problem with KyoAni creating more of their own, because they have a good record with that sort of stuff. And my favourite characters in Chu2 are those which are entirely original.

OceanBlue

If the novel writer is quick enough, he can get enough material for a season 2 follow-up. Show is quite succesful so far.

Makes me wonder what KyoAni's gonna do next.

Well, even though most of Chuunibyou so far is original material, they're still technically only covering the first novel. There's another novel out already. I'm curious to know what KyoAni has been working on too. They should be pretty much finished with Chuunibyou soon if they haven't already finished.

Warning: the following video might be potentially dangerous for your cardiovascular health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssPoDbG1w7w
MJPMv.gif

<3 SMG2 <3
K-ON! - The Movie

I'm full of sentiment for the whole series, and now I'm finally at the end! Who knew that such an unassuming show would be almost transformative in its calming touch and approach. It's an emboldening and inspiration piece of work, and I dare say that there is no higher praise than that.
iInGk.gif

KyoAni actually took a trip to London, so that's probably why it feels so London-y. I prefer the ost from the anime more, but when they first land in England, the bagpipe remix of One More Tea was awesome. I'm not especially good with words but, I really loved this movie. It just worked. And everyone loves ninjas.
Oh and that bit about the old male teacher and how he had to deal with the Sawako generation of the Light Music Club was actually in the manga. Fancy that.
KKOax.gif

That's it, you finally finished it all. How does that make you feel? Now all there's left is to get other people to watch K-ON! as well. Love seeing people watch the show for the first time. It was a real pleasure reading your thoughts on the show too.

This part right here is what got me and made it even better than the one in the anime.
Aw5Ah.gif

So do they ever battle other bands as a group or something?

Q7WHm.gif

Oh it's you!
The thing about K-ON! is that it's a character driven show rather than story driven. And the group has enough problems just trying to perform for a live audience than to worry about competing with others.

SinOfHeart

Neo Member
They would at least be some consistency with outfits

You don't know how much I love that picture, haha. So Teddie's Alice outfit tends to look different depending on the artist who draws it (it's usually basically the same but the apron and lace tends to differ a bit), but when I created my cosplay outfit for Teddie I used that picture almost exclusively as my guide because it's such a great full body look at the outfit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You can bond as friends by improving your skill as a band and your friendship with each other...
There's not much in the way of conflict if that's what you are looking for. K-ON!!'s the zeitgeist of Slice-of-Life Japanese cartoons.
They also performs in concerts and other places. I don't know what you mean by "battles".
He means like winning music concerts and crap like that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
And they do. The main character even starts out having never played an instrument before.
Can we really call Yui the main character? Her role in the team eventually gets phased out as just "another moéblob who drinks too much tea". You could even make the argument that Azusa becomes the center focus of the story as soon as she gets introduced.
Yea like in School of Rock or such. I don't see what's so wrong about like that...=/
Nothing wrong about it. It's just a different type of storytelling.

Top Bottom