• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

SinOfHeart

Neo Member
So do they ever battle other bands as a group or something?

Can we also have them go through a 20 episode training phase, and then have the entire competition that takes 50 episodes to complete which is generously padded out in places such that some of the battles take 6 episodes and include superfluous content that has little to do with the competition itself?

Kazzy

I agree. It's great to see people enjoy K-On and read what they thought of it!

Makes me want to watch through everything again...

Thanks! And that was sort of the intent!

That's it, you finally finished it all. How does that make you feel? Now all there's left is to get other people to watch K-ON! as well. Love seeing people watch the show for the first time. It was a real pleasure reading your thoughts on the show too.

For as eager as I was to finally get it finished, I knew it'd be a little sad when I had no more K-ON!

Now I will forever be chasing that fix. And I certainly enjoyed documenting my journey through the series, so its a bonus if anyone got anything out of reading it.

I like Japanese cartoons! Much more variety than what you get on this side of the pond. I just hate bad anime (also the reason I stay away from the thread on weekends).

You could stop being a hipster first. Start by just calling it anime. Nobody is fooled by this 'Japanese cartoons' vs. 'bad anime' reverse-weeaboo shit.

Can we also have them go through a 20 episode training phase, and then have the entire competition that takes 50 episodes to complete which is generously padded out in places such that some of the battles take 6 episodes and include superfluous content that has little to do with the competition itself?

Of course not. They don't need to drag it out that badly.

Yea like in School of Rock or such. I don't see what's so wrong about like that...=/
Nothing wrong with that, just not exactly what K-ON! is like.
Can we really call Yui the main character? Her role in the team eventually gets phased out as just "another moéblob who drinks too much tea". You could even make the argument that Azusa becomes the center focus of the story as soon as she gets introduced.
It's definitely an ensemble cast, but Yui still holds most of what would be considered the main focus. The episodes mainly come from her perspective and generally revolve around her. Even the Azusa focused episodes have Yui hold a pretty significant part.
Though Azusa does get a lot more focus in the second season and movie but even there I'd say Yui is the main character. They show her at home after school far more often than any other character.
Now I'm just rambling.
If you hate anime that much, maybe you should quit.

Regulus hates everything.
Smile Precure could totally pass for a My Little Pony timeslot regular fixture, bro.

That's because MLP sucks.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

IUqta.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's definitely an ensemble cast, but Yui still holds most of what would be considered the main focus. The episodes mainly come from her perspective and generally revolve around her. Even the Azusa focused episodes have Yui hold a pretty significant part.
Though Azusa does get a lot more focus in the second season and movie but even there I'd say Yui is the main character. They show her at home after school far more often than any other character.
Now I'm just rambling.
I don't know, I feel calling Yui the main character of K-ON is akin to saying Terra is the protagonist of FFVI. While it's true that most of the perspective revolves around her and that she's the catalyst for the rest of the story eventually her value to the narrative gets diminished to the point where she's almost Flanderised by her comedy relief slapstick status.
I love K-ON. :(
MLP is K-ON with magicks instead of music and equines instead of high school girls.

Nothing wrong with that, just not exactly what K-ON! is like.

Now I'm just rambling.

Hmmm I see now. Perhaps I'm wanting K-on to be something more than what it is.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't know, I feel calling Yui the main character of K-ON is akin to saying Terra is the protagonist of FFVI. While it's true that most of the perspective revolves around her and that she's the catalyst for the rest of the story eventually her value to the narrative gets diminished to the point where she's almost Flanderised by her comedy relief slapstick status.

I love K-ON. :(

MLP is K-ON with magicks instead of music and equines instead of high school girls.
I see what you're you're getting at, but I don't think Yui gets down to that level. But it's a very ensemble cast so I'll give it that.

And MLP is basically everything I like about K-ON stripped away and replaced with worse things and then make it look horrible.
Hmm well not the biggest fan of slice of life but maybe I'll watch an episode or two.
Well at least give it a try. I'd say give it 4 episodes, as at that point is when I really fell in love with the show.
Manga still counts, it's what I turned to when I wanted more K-On.
Yes, but like I said, no one starts with the manga.

I was trying to do a doodle of Azusa before midnight, but it started to look like Azusa all SHITEYANYO'd, so instead I dug up this nifty crossover pic I remembered seeing and busting a gut over.

0SIA4.jpg

"Yui-sempai, you need not praise me."

Esura

Banned

All the characters get somewhat Flanderised after awhile. Mio getting scared of every damn thing, Azusa being an adorable tight wad, Ritsu and Yui being goofy, and Mugi....being Mugi I guess. Unlike Terra, Yui is never really sidelined. Her value to the narrative as a main character remains intact for the entirety of the series. Even with the later part of the second season putting Azusa more in the spotlight Yui is still kind of shoved in the forefront because of Azusa's attachment to her. Doesn't hurt that Ui also gets more love later in the series too and she also have a strong attachment to her sister that really drives home the point that Yui is the main character.

I personally think people forget how much the series focus on Yui because of the popularity of the other characters like Mio and Azusa.

Top Bottom