• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

dluu13

I bet they would be broke if they were poor too. Poor money management is common thing.

Peer pressure probably is a big thing. If you say "no" all the time, people in the industry might not like you as much. Connections are more important than anything else.
I think the idiom is "stick in the mud."

oh oh oh that's exactly what somebody called Azusa haha

Esura

Banned
I bet they would be broke if they were poor too. Poor money management is common thing.
True.

Peer pressure probably is a big thing. If you say "no" all the time, people in the industry might not like you as much. Connections are more important than anything else.
I think the idiom is "stick in the mud."

Sounds really dumb to me but I usually don't care about stuff that affects me in a negative way health wise or social standing wise. Its why I don't smoke and only drink occasionally when I feel like it, not because of stress.

oh oh oh that's exactly what somebody called Azusa haha

Chet actually. I remember it clearly because we were discussing who was better between Azu-nyan and Mio.

dluu13

It's kinda funny cause when you watch John Entwistle (bass dude) on stage with The Who, he seems like he'd be the stick in the mud, but in reality he was right in there with Keith Moon blowing up toilets.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I know this is going to be one hell of a generalization but don't hurt me, what is up with musicians, drugs/drinking/etc., and death? Whenever someone mentions a great musician, someone asks what happened to the person and its either the person lost their mind, went broke, or died due to drugs, craziness, suicide, etc.?
It's the culture, and since music is a medium that's based on the expression of emotion. It kind of makes sense, that some musicians would have crazy personalities or get into drugs and whatnot.:p

A lot of great artists outside music were crazy or terrible people.

Articalys

I know this is going to be one hell of a generalization but don't hurt me, what is up with musicians, drugs/drinking/etc., and death? Whenever someone mentions a great musician, someone asks what happened to the person and its either the person lost their mind, went broke, or died due to drugs, craziness, suicide, etc.?

Is this the fate of HTT!?
There is an infamous doujin that takes this idea and runs with it, among other things.
You don't want to read it.

There is an infamous doujin that takes this idea and runs with it, among other things.
You don't want to read it.

That's the one that Yui gets famous and leaves all the other girls behind right? Yeah, it's kind of dumb. Mio and Ritsu seemed really out of character.

Articalys

Moving the discussion along...

Ahahaha, someone already made some parody art from those glasses promotional images, using one of the "background characters" from the school:
aJoyz.jpg

If I can't count the MTV-esque first festival show, then I think I'd have to go with their first freshman welcoming concert where they play My Love is a Stapler.
Though I do like the Death Devil concert and the Tenshi ni Fureta yo! where the seniors play at the end of the second season.

frequency

I finished season one. bicchan (#PokeGAF) says there is bonus episode. I will watch it tomorrow.

But for the twelve I've seen, I have to say this has completely redeemed anime for me. It is absolutely amazing. I truly never imagined I would get drawn in like this. There was one episode I thought I disliked.
It was when Ritsu is jealous and gets sick. I was thinking that I hate this because it made me uncomfortable and tense
. But Gravijah pointed out to me that if I feel that way, I must have connected with the characters. He is completely right.
I liked the characters but didn't think I had a connection like that. I totally did. It was "mind-blowing". There isn't one character I dislike in the slightest. It's such a great cast. I even like Azusa and Tsumugi who people here have said is introduced too late or "does nothing."

The small things really impressed me. After
__________Azusa joined_________,
the opening credit song actually slightly changed
__________to include her_________
. That completely won my heart. All the short shots of real equipment was also really nice.

The scene where
Yui forgets her guitar and goes home to get it then runs back was amazing. It mirrored her running to school in the first episode, but her monologue shows us how much she has grown.
It's so good. That has to be one of my favourite scenes in anything.

I really cannot praise this series enough. If anyone ever doubts anime can be good, I will point them to K-on.

Emitan

I finished season one. bicchan (#PokeGAF) says there is bonus episode. I will watch it tomorrow.

But for the twelve I've seen, I have to say this has completely redeemed anime for me. It is absolutely amazing. I truly never imagined I would get drawn in like this. There was one episode I thought I disliked.
It was when Ritsu is jealous and gets sick. I was thinking that I hate this because it made me uncomfortable and tense
. But Gravijah pointed out to me that if I feel that way, I must have connected with the characters. He is completely right.
I liked the characters but didn't think I had a connection like that. I totally did. It was "mind-blowing". There isn't one character I dislike in the slightest. It's such a great cast. I even like Azusa and Tsumugi who people here have said is introduced too late or "does nothing."

. That completely won my heart. All the short shots of real equipment was also really nice.

The scene where
Yui forgets her guitar and goes home to get it then runs back was amazing. It mirrored her running to school in the first episode, but her monologue shows us how much she has grown.

I really cannot praise this series enough. If anyone ever doubts anime can be good, I will point them to K-on.
Eeeeee~

You called me that~

dluu13

haha we pretty much neglected spoiler tags in this thread except when they were talking about the movie on the first couple of pages.

Speaking of which, there is one month until the blu-ray release of the movie.

Dresden

haha we pretty much neglected spoiler tags in this thread except when they were talking about the movie on the first couple of pages.

Speaking of which, there is one month until the blu-ray release of the movie.

The gifs are going to be amazing.

Gravijah

The scene where

i'm so so happy that you enjoyed the first season. ;-;

Oh, I just meant excluding the OP/ED animations. So I guess the festival show would be your answer then?
Yeah, I kind of wish they did another music-video like performance.

The scene where

The Ritsu episode is one of my more favorite more serious episodes as it shows how Mio and Ritsu's friendship isn't entirely one sided. Shows that she needs Mio just as much as Mio needs her.
And if you like Azusa and Mugi now, just wait till you get to the second season.
Oh and I'm glad you like it so much.

The gifs are going to be amazing.
LMbx6.png

Kagami

It looks like almost everyone likes Yui and Ritsu best here.
         ∧_∧   ┌────────────
       ◯( ´∀` )◯ < 僕は、琴吹紬ちゃん!
        \    /  └────────────
       _/ __ \_
      (_/   \_)
           lll

frequency

∧_∧   ┌────────────
       ◯( ´∀` )◯ < 僕は、琴吹紬ちゃん!
        \    /  └────────────
       _/ __ \_
      (_/   \_)
           lll

えぇ、あたしは琴吹紬が好きだけど中野梓は最高!あたしたちが同じギターを持つので...
(─‿‿─)
少し利己的ですか

Emitan

It's a canonical fact that Mugi was inadvertently raised on yuri manga, though.

yH5Hn.png

So was I ;)

えぇ、あたしは琴吹紬が好きだけど中野梓は最高!あたしたちが同じギターを持つので...
(─‿‿─)
少し利己的ですか

You are our Azunyan~

Esura

Banned
Wow, that doujin was so bland and not nearly the big deal I thought it was from you all's reactions. I was expecting something hardcore but got soft stuff. Oh well.

It's a canonical fact that Mugi was inadvertently raised on yuri manga, though.

yH5Hn.png

LOL, Yuri-loving Mugi is cute.

Kazzy

That's the one that Yui gets famous and leaves all the other girls behind right? Yeah, it's kind of dumb. Mio and Ritsu seemed really out of character.

I was interested enough to try and seek it out. You'll likely get as far as reading this summary:

Yui Hirasawa: Towards the end of her high-school career, Sawako realizes that Yui's perfect pitch and eidetic musical memory means she has a huge amount of natural talent. Using her industry contacts, Sawako gets Yui a lucrative contract, and she quickly becomes Japan's newest musical sensation "The Japanese Jimi Hendrix." Sadly, her childish personality gets her into constant trouble, especially when she makes careless remarks on national television that the bloodthirty media eagerly distort into controversies. Her manager is barely able to keep her under control.

Eventually, Yui's interaction with other musicians leads her to the darker side of the rock lifestyle when she discovers illegal drugs. Still retaining her childish personality, she is unable to exercise better judgement and quickly begins a downward spiral into substance abuse. After being arrested on a marijuana charge at age 24, she flees to England in order to avoid prosecution. She dies of a sleeping pill overdose at age 25, two years earlier than the original Jimi Hendrix.

After her death, Yui's parents and sister form a copyright company to preserve her legacy, releasing her final album "That Is It" posthumously.

Azusa Nakano: The year after Yui graduates and ascends to stardom, Azusa tries to convince Sawako to hook her up with her industry contacts. Sawako is dismissive, pointing out that membership in a high-school band does not qualify one to be a professional musician. Still determined to follow in the footsteps of her hero Yui, Azusa manages to successfully join the idol group AK-47 through hard work and determination. When one of AK-47's albums manages to displace Yui's work on the Oricon charts, it seems like she might be managing to attain some measure of success. Unfortunately, Azusa discovers that the leader of the idol group got her position by sleeping with the casting director. Indignant, she clobbers the leader onstage and starts up a solo career.

However, the only musical work Azusa can find is as a street-performing cosplayer in Akiba. Her second album attempts to capitalize on Yui's popularity, and contains a blatant ripoff of "Fuwa Fuwa Time" called "Tsuru Tsuru Time." None of her efforts meet with real success, despite her increasingly risque attempts at cosplay. Upon hearing of Yui's death, Azusa decides to pursue her dreams in a more realistic fashion, becoming an employee at a music store and giving the customers excellent jazz recommendations. She continues to play guitar as a hobby.

Tsumugi Kotobuki: After marrying a wealthy foreign man named John, Mugi moves to England and, aside from a brief meeting with Yui, is never heard from again. This results in her having roughly the same amount of impact on the doujin trilogy as she had on the original show.

Ritsu Tainaka: When Sawako whisks Yui away to fame and fortune at the expense of the rest of the HTT members, Ritsu takes the hint and gets a blue-collar job at Neko Neko Nagato Couriers. She maintains her cheerful disposition, seeing herself as something of an underachiever champion, and is grateful to Yui for making her realize that she had no real talent. She is still a good friend to Mio, and the two often enjoy karaoke sessions together.

Mio Akiyama: After easily cruising through college with top grades, Mio winds up working for a music company. She begins sleeping with one of the company executives, a 42-year-old married man who promises that he will be leaving his wife soon. With the extra cash flow from this affair, she begins living an affluent lifestyle, and frequently disses her friend Ritsu for her working-class job. When the affair with the executive inevitably comes to a bad end, Mio finds herself jobless and decides to focus on her music. Living as a NEET, she begins to obsess over Yui and stalk her online via various imageboards such as 2ch. Mio is extremely jealous of Yui's success and natural talent, especially since all her practice and hard work has gotten her nowhere.

Eventually, Mio's NEET lifestyle begins to take a toll. Her self-made music videos fail to garner any popularity online, and she drowns her sorrows in junk food. Rapidly gaining wait and losing savings, she becomes desperate and sings a cover of one of Yui's famous songs while filming herself in the nude, then uploads the video to Niya Niya Douga. The resultant deluge of negative comments, calling her a "fat pathetic 27-year-old granny NEET," drive her to despair as she finally realizes that she doesn't have any real talent. Destitute and alone, she cries herself to sleep buried under her covers.

A few days later, Ritsu calls Mio up and offers her a part-time position at the courier place. Mio readily accepts, now content to live out her days as an average no-name laborer, with Ritsu by her side.

TbaSH.gif

I will just continue with the saccharine escapades of the HTT, thank you.

frequency

Google can read names? Very impressive!

Google to English says
E~e, Azusa Nakano is the best I can but I like Kotobuki Tsumugi! Because they have the same guitar ... We ...

Do a little selfish
Ahaha so weird!

ちなみに、僕は少し読めるけど、まだ辞書を使わなくちゃダメ -_-;

On another note, I need to look through those Ura-on episodes. I wonder if they're any good...

Top Bottom