• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Episode nineteen was fucking amazing! Proof that Anno hadn't gone completely senile yet (I think that was Anno but I am not too sure). When I say last third I mean everything after nineteen.

Jintor

I used to play piano and violin, but these days all I do is plunk around on a guitar playing super-basic chords.

At one point I knew the chords to Fuwa Fuwa Time if that counts

No real training or anything though.

iTuUG.gif

LayLa

i can play the version of Hotchkiss from the start of S2! it's really fun to play, lots of unusual jazz chords.
Poyunch i started by playing the bass & i think that's a good route, its easy to learn and within a couple of weeks you'll get a feeling of "hey maybe i can really do this". it also teaches you a lot of techniques that come in useful if/when you move on to guitar.

dluu13

What are you talking about I can play an instrument. Damn friends kept trying to get me to switch my major to music LOL.

And yes the last third of Kare Kano was wut.

Whats a toradora?
You should watch it. It has that Aisaka Taiga that Regulus keeps talking about.

frequency

I watched up to episode 3 but I have to wait for DVD now to continue.
There isn't much focus on the music right now, but this is a really fun series. I'm getting to know Hirasawa Yui more. She's so silly. I'm going to be a geek for a bit: Who buys a Les Paul for learning? It's really expensive and also kind of heavy and has very bad weight distribution. I don't think I can play one comfortably. So it's very unrealistic in that sense. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does...
I hope the other characters get focus later too. Akiyama Mio is still my favourite right now I think. She's cool and cute and smart. Too much all in one character!

I think frequency can, at least I think she mentioned that.

Yes. I can play piano, violin, and guitar. I'm just average at all three though.

i can play the version of Hotchkiss from the start of S2! it's really fun to play, lots of unusual jazz chords.
Poyunch i started by playing the bass & i think that's a good route, its easy to learn and within a couple of weeks you'll get a feeling of "hey maybe i can really do this". it also teaches you a lot of techniques that come in useful if/when you move on to guitar.

Yay jazz! The trigger to learn was a rock band but I learned mostly with jazz guitar books. It is a lot of fun. And I can be terrible and just say that I'm "improvising" and being true to jazz!
Jazz guitar sounds better when I'm playing by myself too. Rock is weird to play alone and sounds incomplete.

LayLa

I'm getting to know Hirasawa Yui more. She's so silly. I'm going to be a geek for a bit: Who buys a Les Paul for learning? It's really expensive and also kind of heavy and has very bad weight distribution. I don't think I can play one comfortably. So it's very unrealistic in that sense. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does...

haha, the question of Yui's inappropriate choice of instrument gets raised later in the series!
yeh if you are playing guitar solo then jazz chords can make it sound as if you are better at playing the guitar than you actually are, people will be all "ooh that sounds fancy" - and a lot of the time the chords take less effort & technique to play!

frequency

haha, the question of Yui's inappropriate choice of instrument gets raised later in the series!
yeh if you are playing guitar solo then jazz chords can make it sound as if you are better at playing the guitar than you actually are, people will be all "ooh that sounds fancy" - and a lot of the time the chords take less effort & technique to play!
Ah! So they actually address it. That's so cool. I'm more and more impressed with this series!

I can't play Les Paul it's too heavy for me :(

I stick to my stratocaster which I can't play either because I suck.

I learned on a Ibanez GRGM21. It's cheap and specifically made to be small.
I still have it, but never really play it anymore. Now I alternate between my Fender Telecaster Thinline and Pawn Shop Mustang Special for electric. I have a Sonoran SCE for acoustic.

I watched up to episode 3 but I have to wait for DVD now to continue.
There isn't much focus on the music right now, but this is a really fun series. I'm getting to know Hirasawa Yui more. She's so silly. I'm going to be a geek for a bit: Who buys a Les Paul for learning? It's really expensive and also kind of heavy and has very bad weight distribution. I don't think I can play one comfortably. So it's very unrealistic in that sense. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does...
I hope the other characters get focus later too. Akiyama Mio is still my favourite right now I think. She's cool and cute and smart. Too much all in one character!
I think I mentioned it to you earlier, but the show is more about girls hanging out than about music. Music is important to the show, as they practice and have concerts and stuff, but the main focus of the show is the character interactions with each other. So I hope you like watching girls drink tea and eat cake.
And Mio is great. Best character on the show.
Ah! So they actually address it. That's so cool. I'm more and more impressed with this series!

Yeah, but it's more played for a gag than anything, but it is a comedy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
K-ON! is not an animu about music.

frequency

I'm okay if main story isn't music focused. But I think it makes characters more relatable. Even if Les Paul is used as a joke, it tells me writers know what they're talking about and that is worth something to me. Like with all other media, main focus is always characters. The setting is important to make it approachable. The music setting was enough to make me watch. I think that means it can't be ignored as unimportant to the show.

I'm appreciating the music and references to a world I am familiar and comfortable with. I feel I can relate to the characters better than in other settings.

dluu13

I'm okay if main story isn't music focused. But I think it makes characters more relatable. Even if Les Paul is used as a joke, it tells me writers know what they're talking about and that is worth something to me. Like with all other media, main focus is always characters. The setting is important to make it approachable. The music setting was enough to make me watch. I think that means it can't be ignored as unimportant to the show.

I'm appreciating the music and references to a world I am familiar and comfortable with. I feel I can relate to the characters better than in other settings.
The concert sequences are pretty good. It's like God Knows in Haruhi.

HHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG
She's Toradorable

Madao

now that i look back, i already introduced 2 girls to K-On. i gave both season 1 and 2 to my friend who watches lots of anime and later she showed it to her sister and she liked it. the fun part is that the sister shares various traits with Yui and my friend and me joke about it.

Top Bottom