• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

6kc5F.gif

frequency

I started the second season. I was going to watch more before posting impressions, but initial thoughts are:
  • The animation improved greatly.
  • The opening song is not good. But the ending song is really good.
  • All the characters seem a little more exaggerated. I don't know how I feel about that.

dluu13

I started the second season. I was going to watch more before posting impressions, but initial thoughts are:
  • The animation improved greatly.
  • The opening song is not good. But the ending song is really good.
  • All the characters seem a little more exaggerated. I don't know how I feel about that.

The opening is not good?!?!!

Well to be honest, it took me a while to "get" it.

frequency

The opening is not good?!?!!

Well to be honest, it took me a while to "get" it.

It is a musical mess. Over produced, distorted, and Yui's already high pitch voice is even higher and sped up. I don't know how they thought "lets increase the pitch and frequency" was a good idea.

All the other songs so far are actually good compositions. This one is musical "junk food" at best.

dluu13

ibpq4thuY1CvZe.PNG

hay guyz. Ritsu won her exhibition match.

In other news, Taiga came in second place to Kuroneko for the necklace.
I voted for
kuroneko

Articalys

You seem to have conspicuously left out this match though

im9L1.png

Still, being able to get more votes than third, fourth, fifth, and six places combined in a free-for-all like that, including getting over 300% more votes than third place alone, is pretty good.

Kazzy

It's finally time for me to start watching more K-ON!:

K-ON! 9

Like I’ve said a couple of times already, I instantly have an affinity for a character that acts as an avatar for the audience, and just like Sawako before her (you know, before she entered full-on creeper mode), Azusa is now filling that role.

I can see why some don’t initially warm to Azusa, it’s easy to pick her out as being overly similar to Mio, but I already appreciate her introduction as it’s coinciding with a hefty chunk of character development. If anything, she is acting as the surrogate straight-man of the group, allowing for the others to be have their personalities explored. A cat among the pigeons, so to speak. I approve.

I do like that occasionally, the absurdness of just how lazy the Light music club is gets highlighted, and through the eyes of Azusa it almost comes across as a parody.

Summary: The power of friendship > all.

And Is Azusa developing into the new protagonist?

K-ON! 10

Another beach-episode, already?

I do appreciate that the repeating of earlier events allows for nice little nods to certain details, like Ritsu and Yui devolving their original beach trip into a shipwrecked scenario. It's those kind of details, which I feel adds a lot of personality to the show.

I wouldn’t say that I disliked Mio previously, but she was pretty one-note in how she has been portrayed, although the same be said of everyone bar Yui, probably. Which is why I welcome the little back and forth’s between Mio and Ritsu, and their bubbling resentment about their roles in the group.

My favourite scene was probably Yui practising the guitar alone, it wasn’t really needed but it helps to ground the whole thing. I always get the impression that the progression of characters in shows such as these often come off as feeling artificial, but even with the idiot-savant aspect Yui has to her character, I don’t feel as though I have to suspend my disbelief to buy into it. I mean, Azusa pretty much confirms that they are still a rag-tag collective. That is the aspect of the show that has impressed me, as it would have been so easy for them to be depicted as an amazing band after their first successful concerts.

Like many good shows, it’s really about nothing, but quite a lot happens at the same time. It really does creep up on you.

K-ON! 11

Huh, drama, I was not expecting this! I was pretty taken aback by the fact that the episode quite quickly set its sights on telling the story from Ritsu’s perspective. It looks like all those little cuts in the previous episodes were leading up to something all along. It was nice, as it served to show that their relationship isn’t entirely one-sided, what with Mio being the butt-monkey of the group for the most part. It was surprising to see Ritsu as being portrayed as probably the weaker one in this instance, practically crumbling the moment it looks as though her friendship with Mio was becoming strained. Although that said, I can’t imagine that Mio would even attempt to come out of her shell, where it not for the help (torment?) of Ritsu. I’m curious to see if they poke at their precarious dynamic in the future.

The little details in the background were a nice touch, the various lone shots of the instruments in the music store specifically.

A really good run of episodes, now it’s time for the spotlight to shine on Mugi, right? I pretty much like the entire cast at this point, well, expect Sawako.

...and they just completely shoe-horned Azusa into the OP, didn't they?

dluu13

Haha it seems like with every scene they have her playing in, she just nervously/awkwardly looks left and right while strumming.

That's the sort of thing I never noticed on my first time watching through K-on.

Esura

Banned
I don't have either.
I was thinking of getting the psp version, but with everyone getting the ps3 port...

I would just wait for the PS3 port. I had fun with the PSP version though but...no more. :p

I think I put more hours in that than I put in Graces f and Xenoblade. Just burned out.

Esura

Banned
I can't find any that looks as cool as that....Mio one of yours sadly. At least in pose and all that. None of the Yui ones thats for sale looks as good as that. I saw one cutetastic one but it was sold out on Play Asia.

Guess I'm waiting til they fully release that Sophie one they announced.

Kazzy

I got the PSP one but I don't feel arsed to shell out money for that game right now when KH3D and Last Story is on the broad horizon.

...don't worry, The Last Story is a bad game. It really left me cold, a Wii game that fails at imitating a PS3/360 title.

Well I guess I could still get the psp game then, if I ever get it...

The psp game is hardly cheap though, is it? I seem to remember seeing it had pretty much held its price, well at least for those who have to import it.

Kazzy

But....but I already got it preordered. :(

C8vhf.gif

If I could give you my limited edition, I would, believe me.

Other's seem to like it, but I tried several times to give it a fair shake, and it just never clicked. The graphical quirks were the most egregious thing though, completely brought the game down.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The port is pretty bad, apparently. It's getting slaughtered on Amazon Japan.

If the user "reviews" on Amazon say so! I still remember the rage there about DQIX, yeah...

So far, the only negative thing i heard about the PS3 version from people that own the PSP version is that the timing is off. Adding the lag from a wireless controller + the quality of your TV in regard to input lag. People will have to adjust. Hope it's not too bad.

I remember i had the same issue with Im@s 2 on PS3, until i switched to a monitor, a model known for the low input lag that i use to play SF4 and other fighting games, and tweaking the option setting in the game. It was fine.

Kazzy

The port is pretty bad, apparently. It's getting slaughtered on Amazon Japan.

I love how scathing those reviews get, amazing.

I'd probably prefer the PSP version, I love rythm/music games on handhelds. The price was always the problem though, and it's hardly changed! That and I have a Vita now, if only you could download it...

Top Bottom