• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT2| Taking Off the Training Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alta1r

I think this is more then likely to be the case for most of the girls. yoona is into acting and now some of the others are starting as well. They all already have to act on the variety shows they go on. Well, not act but kinda...exaggerate their own personalities.

We all know that the life of an idol burns out quick so acting seems like a natural progression. I'm sure they've made more than enough money to last the test of their lives but they obviously aren't in this only for the money. They seem to love entertaining people and the attention that comes with it and I don't think any Of them would be happy fading into the background. Well maybe Sooyoung, she doesn't seem to do anything outside of promoting, concerts, and church.

Sica and Hyo want to be fashion designers but really??? Common now. I love Hyo but let's not kid ourselves here. And aren't most of them studying theatre in college anyway.

As for who would actually make a decent actor, I'd have to put money on the cunning Maknae. She seems like she would be able to put in the time and get a range going. The others probably can only look pretty and smile. If they don't get work there I'm sure they can always double as MCs.

Well, with
most of
their looks, 80% of the battle is already won. As long as they're not completely turrible actresses they could probably all get at least something B-list to keep them going for a while on looks alone.

And lol, yeah, I agree with the maknae evaluation. I think she already got her acting chops in just appearing on regular variety shows. Despite the nice demeanor towards her fellow members she's probably really thinking "I'm going to murder you in your sleep," every time one of them tells a story about her.

tumblr_lyfn1w3Woo1qlwz38o1_500.jpg

Ranvier

You guys think when Sooyoung and some of the others gO to church they get a private session? Like with just them and the pastor? Because imagine if they went doing a full congregation. Yeah the older folk might ignore them but the people under 30 would probably go crazy. Imagine being a 15 year old netizen fan girl and having Tiffany praying next to you. I don't think they'd be able to contain it. There must be some sort of non disclosure clause going on because there aren't any reports of other church members seeing them despite the girls claiming they go all the time.

And during the collection plate thing it would be pretty bad if they only put online 50 won. But they can't put in a fat stack either. I really wonder about the logistics of all this.

Alta1r

You guys think when Sooyoung and some of the others gO to church they get a private session? Like with just them and the pastor? Because imagine if they went doing a full congregation. Yeah the older folk might ignore them but the people under 30 would probably go crazy. Imagine being a 15 year old netizen fan girl and having Tiffany praying next to you. I don't think they'd be able to contain it. There must be some sort of non disclosure clause going on because there aren't any reports of other church members seeing them despite the girls claiming they go all the time.

And during the collection plate thing it would be pretty bad if they only put online 50 won. But they can't put in a fat stack either. I really wonder about the logistics of all this.

tumblr_lydj1qORpO1r8xm7po1_500.gif

Haha, they probably have the pastor come to their dorm. We've seen how they get mobbed even at airports in other countries just for stepping out of a plane. I can't imagine them getting to church and back scotch free without ski masks and dark sunglasses.

tumblr_lyf2loG9pD1r6w1mjo1_500.png

Deadly

Maybe it's just a respect thing? Daesung apparently went to church every day after his accident. You'd think the mob would paparazzi him or something but there wasn't much news about him.

Or maybe it's a celebrity church. Doesn't GD and Taeyang go to the same place as them? I'm sure I've read something like that before...

Alta1r

Chinese We Got Married

Isn't there going to be a language barrier?

Wt... This is surprising. Not that there'd be knockoffs of WGM in other countries but that
someone that I would have guessed was
an A-list idol would go this route. I would have expected the rookies/non-major acts to try to get in on this, not Hyomin.

Maybe it's just a respect thing? Daesung apparently went to church every day after his accident. You'd think the mob would paparazzi him or something but there wasn't much news about him.

Or maybe it's a celebrity church. Doesn't GD and Taeyang go to the same place as them? I'm sure I've read something like that before...

Sanctuary!

Haha, to be fair, that is believable.

tumblr_lyex57mX3o1ro8rvqo1_r4_500.jpg

Ashhong

Wt... This is surprising. Not that there'd be knockoffs of WGM in other countries but that
an A-list idol would go this route. I would have expected the rookies/non-major acts to try to get in on this, not Hyomin.

Eunjung was just on it..not to mention Seohyun in the beginning.

Alta1r

Eunjung was just on it..not to mention Seohyun in the beginning.

True. It'd be hard to match CC with their chemistry, especially so soon. But, I don't know, to me it seems like going from American Idol to Canadian Idol instead of America's Got Talent or Dancing With The Stars or something else mainstream.
No offense Canadia, just saying that if you want to make a name for yourself in America Canadian Idol probably isn't your best bet.
I guess I could see this if CCM told her to do it so they could try to expand their brand into China.

tumblr_lyfkm6Q73N1r3cjp1o1_500.jpg

Unrelated question, who is this:
ksr1cdmi.gif

vanty

Qri could say no to an acting thing because it was just extra work that would make her some extra money. Hyomin can't say no to her agency when they tell her to do a variety show in order to promote T-ara.

Alta1r

I hope that's not a complete tracklist.

First WGM photo:
Zt1AC.jpg

Call me racist but I would not have been able to guess he wasn't Korean.
Hyomin looking spectacular as is to be expected these days.

Qri could say no to an acting thing because it was just extra work that would make her some extra money. Hyomin can't say no to her agency when they tell her to do a variety show in order to promote T-ara.

Haha, and now those same "fans" are going to bitch some more about how Hyomin is going to miss even more performances. But yeah, I agree, if the agency is making her doing this then that's that. I'm curious how it'll go. I don't know enough about Chinese and Korean culture to know if there will be significant differences compared to normal WGM or if it'll just be a different face on the same type of show.

tumblr_lyfau92IhT1r86c3fo1_250.png

Edgeward

Welp, can't complain about more Hyomin, gonna put that on the list. It'll be a nice transition once I finish off these last couple of Khuntoria episodes. How the hell do you spend time with each other for a year and be such a damn sissy on kissing a girl?! This is worst then biggest of anime cockteases between two protagonists.

Ranvier

Do big name actors and actresses in Korea get the same kind of fanboyism and scrutiny that music idols get?

If an actress is an idol. And idols are cursed with bat shit crazy fans. Are all actresses cursed with bat shit crazy fans?

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Sucks not having internet :mad: fuck you Charter!! Fix your shit!!

cool and now i lost my wallet.. zzzzz

Alta1r

Do big name actors and actresses in Korea get the same kind of fanboyism and scrutiny that music idols get?

If an actress is an idol. And idols are cursed with bat shit crazy fans. Are all actresses cursed with bat shit crazy fans?

No idea. I'd expect probably the same level of craziness but Dice or ramyeon are probably the right people to answer this question.

In the meantime:

tumblr_lye7jvhzzZ1ro9ueco1_500.jpg

tumblr_lye5f0eBwF1qb1285o1_500.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I made that gif. Seeing as how I mentioned her name where I posted it in the old kpop thread, I'd be interested to know where you found it.

Goddess Kim Sa Rang is a goddess

I would say not as many crazy fans, but just as much scrutiny, yet less opportunity to be scrutinized because actors private lives are more removed from public view. Basically, idols are highly esteemed by youth, yet the adults tend to admire them as "good kids" or some such. They are doing a good work that brings something nice to society, so adults make like what they do and even be a fan, yet if they are not part of the "youth" generation they probably won't make too big of a deal out of them.

Actors and actresses obviously have A-List and B-List like we do, and the top crowd is super high-status just like ours. I'm not sure about the number of obsessive fans. I know they have some, but it's probably not as numerous as idols because obsession-prone teenagers go for idols. However, it is still a big deal if you get to meet an A-Lister, so a person might not be spazzing yet nevertheless act like they are receiving a visit from a divine creature. You'll also hear more acting names come up as an "ideal type" than idol names.

What about an idol who gets into acting? It's similar to when a musician gets into acting for us. They aren't taken as seriously and have to really prove themselves through several good performances. Other than that the mentality of them being good kids persists, and it's seen as a good opportunity for a good kid. It does give them more credibility and status back in the music realm, but their status in society hasn't suddenly moved up to the actor circle.

rodzee

So i got around to watching the more recent episodes of running man, the ones iSubs hasn't subbed yet, and i'd just like to say episode 74 is one of the best episodes they've ever come up with.
Giving each member a specific superhero ability, who knew that could work so well and not turn out completely corny. Gary's ventriloquism part had me laughing so hard.

I reckon its a must watch even if you don't follow running man

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The new Dal Shabet is amazing. Honestly, this is what I expected from T-ara before they came out with Yayaya (which by E-TRIBE, lol) and everything since. Charting their trajectory up to this point, these girls should continue being AWESOME but I guess that depends on how well E-TRIBE keeps improving. These songs are amazingly structured for him while keeping his trademark flow, so maybe he's learning a lot from somewhere.

Peru

E-Tribe are a duo. I really love the single now, and Fire It Up (which does have other names credited for production than E-tribe), not sure about the other songs but haven't listened much yet.

NOT surprised Soyeon was both on the receiving end of, and participated in bullying at school. She seems like tough cookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom