• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgeward

WqS5vE2.gif
vgRgLRJ.gif

Pendulum

Chris Brown sent out 18 bodyguards to meet them at the airport apparently. lol.
divided by 10 for KKS' usual over-inflation and that's 1.8 bodyguards

2013051311581573879_2.jpg
2013051311581573879_1.jpg

Hellix

He is too short but that dude totally looks like Terrell Owens with what looks like a blurred Seattle Seahawks beanie.

Oh I have to mention that anyone with eyeballs needs to follow this twitter account @everyday_yura. You can get the full images (maybe all 1920x1080) by clicking on them and then the icon in the top left. Seems like a new photo set each day.

This pleases me.

vanty

Oh I have to mention that anyone with eyeballs needs to follow this twitter account @everyday_yura. You can get the full images (maybe all 1920x1080) by clicking on them and then the icon in the top left. Seems like a new photo set each day.

llehuty

Week #20
One day later edition

Today releases

San E - Big Boy (Feat. Bee of Rphabet) (Audio) First single out of JYPE
Z.HERA - Peacock MV The chorus ruins this song for me.
OD2BLACK - SAM-PLE MV
Kang Kyunsung (NOEL) - Just look at the sky MV
ATTACK - Hello Hello MV In before netizens say this is a rip off of Flo-rida's Whistle. I think it's quite good.
Edit: Akdong Musician - I love you

Shinhwa - This Love from The Classic (16/05)

Teaser

WonderBoyz - Tarzan (14/05)

Teaser

Seo In Young - Let's break up (15/05)

Teaser
Teaser #2
First time the cliche "Showing a new side of her" makes sense.

Edit:
tumblr_mmpw6tgUxq1qkljdfo1_500.jpg

HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG

Also:
Nine Muses will be guesting on Arirang’s After School Club and will be chatting and taking questions and requests!

They will be on the show May 15th @ 5pm KST

You can stream the future show live HERE

ramyeon

Akdong <333 I had no idea they were coming out with a video for that song. This is still one of my favourite songs of this year and the video is adorable. These guys have a bright future ahead of them.

luso

Yuri has been cast as the lead female role for the upcoming film &#8216;No Breathing&#8217;, alongside Seo Inguk and Lee Jongsuk. Actress Kang Sora was also a possible candidate, but Yuri was chosen for the role. The film will be a youth sports drama, showing the competition and love between swimmers. Filming is scheduled to begin this month.

Brace yourselves: Yuri
in bikini/swimsuit?
is coming.

ramyeon

In dramas it usually doesnt matter. The direction demands overacting and stiff line delivery anyway.
Disagree. Idols =/= actors and they shouldn't be replacing them simply because it's an easy sell to international audiences thanks to Hallyu.

Regardless about how you feel about dramas, this is a film not a series.

Peru

They're terrible actors.

Sometimes, sometimes decent. Never saw a good movie hurt by their inclusion though - usually they're cast in paper thin crowdpleasers.

Plus there's plenty of mediocre actor actors as well. Kim Tae-Hee still gets work.

Show me potentially great art that's damaged by this trend and I'll reconsider though.

tumblr_mmq9ncXkcx1sqwbdro1_500.jpg

llehuty

^^ Mature concept again, yesss.

And BTW, any chance of next SM comeback NOT being f(x)? I mean, with the new variety show next week, seems like a no-brainer.

luso

In dramas it usually doesn\t matter. The direction demands overacting and stiff line delivery anyway.

I saw very few dramas, and with a more carefully look at them, most are plagued by poor writing and cliché. But this does not excuses some bad acting.

ramyeon

Sometimes, sometimes decent. Never saw a good movie hurt by their inclusion though - usually they're cast in paper thin crowdpleasers.

Plus there's plenty of mediocre actor actors as well. Kim Tae-Hee still gets work.

Show me potentially great art that's damaged by this trend and I'll reconsider though.

tumblr_mmq9ncXkcx1sqwbdro1_500.jpg
Show me decent acting from an idol and I might reconsider (Not Eunji in Reply 97, she's an exception).

And I'm not talking about art being damaged by it. Most directors with any dignity don't use idols, but just because a film is more lighthearted entertainment doesn't mean we should settle for idols in place of proper actors who can't act to save their lives.

ramyeon

That role really didn't demand much.
So the role not demanding much = she's not a decent actor? She did a good job, got the recognition she deserved from it and made the drama more enjoyable than it would have been if it had been another plank faced idol in the role.

Peru

What the role 'demanded' is irrelevant when she brought a lot to it.

Ok so it's a principal thing for you ramyeon. With money making machines I don't really care about the principal of things and I don't think it's more or less morally sound to hire idols. If they can do the job they can do the job. If the people behind it hire someone who can't then they're bad filmmakers anyway.

Jung Ryeo-won started as a girl group idol and is in my opinion one of the best comedic actresses in Korea. That's one example. Han Groo was a bad idol but a good actress in one of the best mini serie dramas.

ramyeon

What the role 'demanded' is irrelevant when she brought a lot to it.

Ok so it's a principal thing for you ramyeon. With money making machines I don't really care about the principal of things and I don't think it's more or less morally sound to hire idols. If they can do the job they can do the job. If the people behind it hire someone who can't then they're bad filmmakers anyway.

Jung Ryeo-won started as a girl group idol and is in my opinion one of the best comedic actresses in Korea. That's one example. Han Groo was a bad idol but a good actress in one of the best mini serie dramas.
Your first sentence sums up how I feel. Just because most dramas don't demand much doesn't mean roles should be filled with idols who have never acted before/can't act at all. If the role was given to an experienced actor they could bring much more to it and make the show more enjoyable all around.

Not so much a principle but when every other drama/film is substituting real actors with idols it's become ridiculous.

Jung Ryeo Won is indeed a good actor, and she's also been acting for longer than her singing career lasted.

Peru

Fair point but it's very rare that any actor is allowed to do so in K drama (brighten up the show with a charismatic performance). The directors ruin most of the dramas, and in the case of Reply1997 luckily both writers and director came from left field (variety) and made the whole thing work as something different stylistically.

ramyeon

Fair point but it's very rare that any actor is allowed to do so in K drama (brighten up the show with a charismatic performance). The directors ruin most of the dramas, and in the case of Reply1997 luckily both writers and director came from left field (variety) and made the whole thing work as something different stylistically.
Even if they're not able to inject the most charismatic performance due to poor direction, someone who can act well is always going to be better than someone who can't.

Peru

Not necessarily. Sometimes an actor trained in the trite ways of drama acting going on autopilot is worse than an amateur.

ramyeon

Not necessarily. Sometimes an actor trained in the trite ways of drama acting going on autopilot is worse than an amateur.
If you're hiring the amateur based on an audition or actual possible talent, sure. But they're usually only doing it for the brand name so it's easier to market the film/series especially as a Hallyu export.

One movie that suffered from this was Architecture 101. A nice movie that hit all the right nostalgia points but Suzy is just a really boring actor.

luso

Sure that's true, that could be because some actors always plays the same characters, with variations, amateurs may play themselves or avoids bad habits because they don't have them yet.

ramyeon

Sure that's true, that could be because some actors always plays the same characters, with variations, amateurs may play themselves or avoids bad habits because they don't have them yet.
Yes fresh blood is always good. And there is most definitely a huge pool of amateur actors in Korea trying to get cast and put their names out there, but they are looked over and idols are cast without any audition or anything because they will sell more than a rookie actor who hasn't appeared in anything before, regardless of which would actually play the part better.

Pendulum

Suuuure ;p

Sera's Twitter said:
Didn't know what was written on my t shirt lol &#48488;&#53468;17&#48264;... &#55197; &#45208;&#46020;&#48372;&#44256;&#49910;&#50612; :) &#44536;&#47532;&#50892;&#54644;&#51480;&#49436;&#44256;&#47560;&#50633; &#45908;&#50676;&#46944;&#48120;&#54624;&#44760;&#50857;

BKJqGSXCAAA5ZbK.jpg

-------

Yet to be confirmed - "T-ara N4 will be guesting on Disney Channel's Shake It Up".

beatsan

Neo Member
T-ara -> T-error -> T-ara N4 -> "Rising Sun" in MV -> Chris Brown meet -> Hooters -> Disney Channel??

I don't know what their PR manager is going for lol

Draxal

Show me decent acting from an idol and I might reconsider (Not Eunji in Reply 97, she's an exception).

And I'm not talking about art being damaged by it. Most directors with any dignity don't use idols, but just because a film is more lighthearted entertainment doesn't mean we should settle for idols in place of proper actors who can't act to save their lives.

Oh my favorite netizen debate; Netizen Buzz runs this argument all the time. I think there's a couple that have gotten respect (I think they were all male idols though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom